Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

"What's cooking for dinner - July 2017"

+4
NormM
Crybaby
Imelda HL
cookingirl
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down  Message [Page 5 of 11]

101"What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 5 Empty Re: "What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:09 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

bethk wrote:OK, so I've got a ton of pics.  I should probably not post them all so you don't get bored with me but, hey, it's MY forum and I can post as many pics as I want!   Hahahahaha

"What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 5 Mr_ama10

You wouldn't have to have said the ONE ABOVE is Dane's, and the ONE BELOW is Jake's -- Dane refused a potato!!!

bethk wrote:"What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 5 Too_sl10

BTW, Beth, your beurre blanc sauce with the dill looks really good. I recently read that as legend goes, this sauce was stumbled upon by accident, when a chef, rushed for time while making a bearnaise sauce, forgot to add the tarragon and egg yolks and…Voilà beurre blanc!

It's a really good sauce and you rarely see it these days on menus, whereas years ago it was used pretty often.

102"What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 5 Empty Re: "What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:16 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:T made dessert. A white cake, with white buttercream icing.

Mmmm!  One of my all-time favorites, Jimmy.

103"What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 5 Empty Re: "What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:20 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

bethk wrote:Thank you very much for pointing that out ~ I was going to post an apology to Imelda for my 'STUPIDITY' but you broadcast it enough already!   Hahahahahaha!

So, chalk it up to the vodka....or just being old.

I'd say it's the vodka! (Running and ducking...)

It was funny to see what kind of message I had to send to get you to use that big ol' type. I gather it's for my OLD eyes, no?

I was just trying to change the foot, I mean subject...

104"What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 5 Empty Re: "What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:42 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

bethk wrote:We can have the fresh cod tomorrow ~ don't know for sure how I'm going to cook it.  I may try it without any crispy coating (my usual panko crumbs) on the grill mats but I'm really afraid the cod will just fall apart.  It usually breaks up even when I put the coating on it and try to be really carefully when I flip it in the pan.

What about poaching it? Here's something from my files just to give you an idea. You may not want to go with another butter-based sauce so soon but if it's poached, it just begs for a sauce. I'm not that familiar with cod but some of the tarragon cream sauce you made recently might be a good one if you're not into the butter. Or just make a cream sauce with some sausage in it...

Poached Black Cod w/Sausage-spiced Butter Sauce
Makes 2 appetizer portions. Recipe by John Newman, JamesBeard.org

Sausage-Spiced Butter Sauce:
2 Tablespoons (1 ounce) spicy Italian sausage, casing removed
1 cup dry white wine
1 Tablespoon minced shallots
1 Tablespoon heavy cream
1/2 cup cold unsalted butter (1 stick), cut into 1/2-inch pieces
1 Tablespoon fresh lemon juice
Salt and pepper to taste
Poached Black Cod:
Two 3-ounce fresh black cod fillets
Salt and pepper to taste
1/4 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup dry white wine
1 Tablespoon fresh lemon juice
Chopped chives for garnish

To make the sauce, place the sausage in a sauté pan set over high heat. Break up the sausage into small pieces and sauté until cooked through, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside. (Do not pour off any of the pan drippings.)
Combine the shallots and wine in a sauce pot and reduce over medium heat until only about 2 Tablespoons of liquid remain, about 10 minutes. Add the cream and simmer for one minute. Reduce the heat to low and slowly whisk in the butter one piece at a time. Stir in the lemon juice, sausage, and sausage drippings. Season with salt and pepper and keep warm until ready to serve.
To make the cod, season the fillets with salt and pepper. Place the cream and wine in a small sauté pan over medium heat and heat until simmering. Place the cod in the pan and reduce the heat to low. Cook until just cooked through, about 5 minutes. Drizzle with lemon juice.
To serve, spoon some sauce over the fish and finish with chopped chives.

Beth wrote:We were eating supper and he asks, "Grandma, would you like any more chicken?  Grandpa, how about you?"  We both answered, "no"......and there went the rest of the chicken and broccoli.  I think he saved his boiled potatoes for his 'dessert'.

He sounds like a couple of things: A boy who appreciates a good meal and a polite kid, too. A good mix for sure. Robin must be very proud of him...

105"What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 5 Empty Re: "What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:48 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:
I had muscles in a white butter wine sauce. Ate this over spaghetti.

"What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 5 Img_0510

I love muscles.  This is the only way I ever have them except when they're in something like paella or a seafood stew.  The picture made me REALLY want some, too, Jimmy!

106"What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 5 Empty Re: "What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:51 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

cookingirl wrote:I have not had homemade Angel food cake for years! I used to make a pound cake and then save the egg whites for an Angel food cake.. it was so good.  Unfortunately, when we moved, I think I threw out my awesome cook book which had a ton of recipes in it..sigh..

It was not the Betty Crocker book, no plaid on it, but It could have been the Good Housekeeping Cook Book... I remember it had a red jacket cover...sigh..I loved that book....

Well, you've got no excuse, Cindy, as you can find them online using Google in a heartbeat!!  First search for the cover you remember; once you've identified the cookbook, you can search for recipes from it.  People love to help people find recipes they remember.  So go for it!

Last edited by Crybaby on Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:30 pm; edited 1 time in total

107"What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 5 Empty Re: "What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:53 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

bethk wrote:The recipe I used for the angel food cake was super easy.....

(here it is with my adjustments to use only 1 c. of egg whites....probably 8 egg whites, maybe 9)

Angel Food Cake

1 c. Cake Flour (sifted)
1/4 t. Salt
1-1/4 c. Sugar
1 c. Egg Whites
1 t. Cream of Tartar
1/2 t. Vanilla

Beat the egg whites with salt & cream of tartar, starting on low until starting to foam and then on high until at soft peak.  Beat in sugar (slowly) and vanilla, on high speed.  Remove from mixer and sift 1/2 the flour over and gently fold in, then the other half of the flour and fold until well combined.

Spoon into ungreased 10" tube pan.  Place pan in a cold oven and turn on to 325°.  Bake for 1 hour (test by touch ~ when it springs back, it's done).  Invert to cool completely.

Thanks, Beth. You've got me wanting to make one again, too!

108"What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 5 Empty Re: "What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:04 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

NormM wrote:I saw a recipe from LA that was Karne Asade and Pico de Gallo with some Korean flavors added in."What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 5 20170717

That looks FANTASTIC, Norm! You not only make really good food but you really take nice photos of your food, too.

109"What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 5 Empty Re: "What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:05 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

The rain continued as I grilled supper. I couldn't even sit down because I didn't want to have a wet seat! LOL

"What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 5 Wet_se10

And wouldn't you know it.....as soon as we ate the rain stopped and now we have blue skies and a few pretty white clouds.

I would have waited to cook supper but that wasn't an option. The question, "How long until supper, Grandma?" was repeated twice......

LOL

110"What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 5 Empty Re: "What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:11 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

The cod broke apart when I turned it, as I suspected, but it was done 'just right' and had good flavor.  Jake spooned some of the broken Buerre Blanc Dill Sauce on his since he doesn't care for tartar sauce.  He gave it a small taste but I knew he doesn't like condiments, as a rule.

The potatoes were 'THE BOMB'.....a huge hit!  Dane even had a half a potato (not too much of a sacrifice since they were really small) and he agreed the recipe was a 'keeper'.  So easy but lots of flavor.

"What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 5 Cod_di10

Turns out I couldn't finish my cod.....not a problem since Mr. Amazing knew it wasn't calorie laden.

"What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 5 Grille13

I cooked two cod filets, just a smidge under 2 lbs. for the 3 of us.  There's a very small piece (probably 3 oz.) left and 3 halves of potatoes leftover.  I didn't bother covering it and putting it in the refrigerator because it'll be eaten within the hour............

The boy has an appetite!  Hahahahaha!

111"What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 5 Empty Re: "What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:19 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

bethk wrote:I've never thought of trying to store shallots in oil, as one might do with garlic, but I do know you can freeze them.  The texture might be somewhat softer but they would be fine for cooking.  I would just chop some, spread them on a sheet pan and freeze on a parchment lined sheet.  Once frozen you could then drop them into a zip bag and store them that way.

I peeled a ton of garlic many years ago with Brian helping and we put it in jars of olive oil. It was a big mistake as the oil started bubbling and I read whether or not it was left at room temperature or in the refrigerator too long, garlic in olive oil provides a perfect breeding ground for bacteria that cause botulism. It was a shame, too, as we didn't wear gloves when peeling the garlic and our fingers burned that night and the next day -- all to just throw away both the garlic and waste the oil, too.

Imelda, here's a link to an article about long term storage of onions which, of course, would be good for shallots, too. I think Beth's suggestion is definitely a good idea for some of them. You could portion the amounts in the bags by wrapping a certain amount in plastic wrap or foil prior to putting in a freezer bag.

I've seen people use the "panty hose" method mentioned in here. I'm not sure if you have a basement but I kind of doubt it. Anyway, you may find some of these suggestions helpful...

http://survivalathome.com/how-to-store-onions/

112"What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 5 Empty Re: "What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:22 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Lucky neighbors Tommy and JoAnne, Beth!

I have your Lemon Sunshine Cake recipe, which I hope to try one day. As you know, Brian and I, like you, LOVE lemon anything!

113"What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 5 Empty Re: "What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:26 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Yes! They are frozen in a box with the sauce of choice. I forget the name.???? They are cleaned well, and better than the fresh ones with pieces of beards sticking out. Yuck!

I like the fresh ones (I don't mind pulling off the beards) but I sure would like to see some of those boxed ones down here, as they'll just be for me!!

114"What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 5 Empty Re: "What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:28 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

bethk wrote:Wouldn't you know it......I'm just about ready to light the grill and now it's POURING DOWN RAIN!

"What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 5 Rain_r10

I thought you had an awning over it now, B. What happened? Did you guys just decide to put it up occasionally maybe?

115"What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 5 Empty Re: "What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:40 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Crybaby wrote:
bethk wrote:Wouldn't you know it......I'm just about ready to light the grill and now it's POURING DOWN RAIN!

"What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 5 Rain_r10

I thought you had an awning over it now, B.  What happened?  Did you guys just decide to put it up occasionally maybe?

You can just barely see the awning above the grill. When it's raining hard we have to bring the awning back on the roller so it doesn't get filled up with rain and bend down to the ground. It's like one of those SunSetter ones, with an electric motor and remote to open & close it. If it's windy you have to have it closed, too. Andrea & Jim sent it to us for a Christmas present a few years ago. I guess she got tired of me always complaining about how hot my 'great room' (computer room) got from the morning sun beating in through the blinds.

116"What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 5 Empty Re: "What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:48 pm

NormM

NormM

bethk wrote:I know it's around the area.  There's a Mexican restaurant I like to go to and their fajita supper comes with a WHOLE skirt steak, cooked to a perfect medium rare, that you cut into pieces and then slice across the grain for your tortilla.  It's really, really good.

So maybe the beef producers only sell the good stuff to restaurants because they've found not many people in The Villages cook meals on a regular basis.

LOL

I suspect fewer people cook on a regular basis than we realize.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

117"What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 5 Empty Re: "What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:32 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Beef roast today!... Oh So Good.

"What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 5 Beef_n10

118"What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 5 Empty Re: "What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:40 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Now THAT is a meal you can stuff yourself with......YUM!  Roast Beef is a comfort classic for sure.  I hope Ms. Tina enjoyed the mashed potatoes.  I know she has difficulty with the meat but that sure does look scrumptious.  Did she at least get some gravy?

119"What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 5 Empty Re: "What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:53 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Now THAT is a meal you can stuff yourself with......YUM!  Roast Beef is a comfort classic for sure.  I hope Ms. Tina enjoyed the mashed potatoes.  I know she has difficulty with the meat but that sure does look scrumptious.  Did she at least get some gravy?

Uh! Gravy?... She used BUTTER on hers!
The beef was done on the electric rotisserie. A little salt crusted, but good.

120"What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 5 Empty Re: "What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:45 am

Crybaby

Crybaby

NormM wrote:
bethk wrote:I know it's around the area.  There's a Mexican restaurant I like to go to and their fajita supper comes with a WHOLE skirt steak, cooked to a perfect medium rare, that you cut into pieces and then slice across the grain for your tortilla.  It's really, really good.

So maybe the beef producers only sell the good stuff to restaurants because they've found not many people in The Villages cook meals on a regular basis.

LOL

I never even see skirt steak for sale in a local grocery -- no lie. I'm not even sure I've ever seen it. I wish we had a couple of "real" butcher shops around here.

121"What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 5 Empty Re: "What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:46 am

Crybaby

Crybaby

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Beef roast today!... Oh So Good.

Boy, Jimmy -- that looks delicious. What cut of beef is that?

122"What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 5 Empty Re: "What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:54 am

Crybaby

Crybaby

Beth wrote:You can just barely see the awning above the grill. When it's raining hard we have to bring the awning back on the roller so it doesn't get filled up with rain and bend down to the ground. It's like one of those SunSetter ones, with an electric motor and remote to open & close it. If it's windy you have to have it closed, too. Andrea & Jim sent it to us for a Christmas present a few years ago. I guess she got tired of me always complaining about how hot my 'great room' (computer room) got from the morning sun beating in through the blinds.

Yeah, I DID see the awning peeking out above the grill, Beth. I had no CLUE that those SunSetter awnings had to be closed when it rains! I always see the ads for those and think (though I love the sun on the south side of the house since it makes the kitchen nice and bright) how nice it would be to sit under one of those when it rains. You can imagine how many people have awnings down here with our climate, like Florida's --- but NOW I understand why the types that are permanently installed open are the ones I always see.

I guess I'll have to wait until I win Powerball or Mega Millions and then just get one of those glass rooms I've always wanted... sunny

123"What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 5 Empty Re: "What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:35 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Crybaby wrote:
UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Beef roast today!... Oh So Good.

Boy, Jimmy -- that looks delicious. What cut of beef is that?

It was an Eye round, and I cut it in half. Froze 1/2. It was well done ( Tina's Choice ) but it was tender.
Usually, we pick up a huge eye round, and the kids come over. I drag out the meat slicer, and shave the beef so we can have Roy Rogers roast beef sandwiches on seeded rolls, and cups of augue to dip the beef in.

124"What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 5 Empty Re: "What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:25 pm

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

Crybaby wrote:
NormM wrote:

LOL

I never even see skirt steak for sale in a local grocery -- no lie.  I'm not even sure I've ever seen it.  I wish we had a couple of "real" butcher shops around here.  

I saw on the cooking show, they grilled skirt steak a lot, I rarely see it on the stores either, I don;t know if I ever ate it, maybe in a burrito/quesadilla, but never ate the grilled ones, I always want to grill it but I have no idea if it's tender or tough meat cut..

125"What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 5 Empty Re: "What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:25 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Skirt steak costs a small fortune out here: over $5/lb and that is a lot considering the fact that it used to be meat nobody wanted to eat. The influx of Hispanics has caused the prices of some previously ignored meat like skirt steak and flap meat to go through the roof.
I am going to try and smoke a tri tip tonight. Since Katie is off beef I made her a stuffed Portobello mushroom to throw on the grill.
I finally was able to get some really fresh yellow corn on the cob this weekend. It was sweet and had the right chew. So good!
I have at least 50 chigger bites that are driving me insane. I got stung by a bee at night(night??) and my allergic reaction almost got me to go to the ER. The itching is unbearable. I got stung at 10:30PM and didn't get to sleep till 4AM. Part of the problem is that it was so hot in the house. I can't sleep when I am hot.
Another hot one today.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 5 of 11]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum