Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ?

+3
cookingirl
Crybaby
UNCLE JIMMY
7 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 10]

51MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? - Page 3 Empty Re: MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? Mon May 08, 2017 1:10 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Bugster2 wrote:I looked up Joe's date and it wasn't number 2 and I know it was number 2. It was listed in the newspaper and he got his letter before he even graduated high school. There were 6 kids in his family and his father died when he was 9 so his mom didn't want to lose any more. She was ready to ship him off to Canada. He went for his physical, made grinding noises with his knee and was out. When he handed in his papers to the soldier on the way out, he told the man "F-you, I'm out". Vietnam was such a senseless war.

Maybe the chart was different for 1971 or 1972.

I don't blame his Mom at all. It was indeed a senseless war. Lots of WWII vets didn't want their sons to go so she wasn't alone. Brian always jokes that he had to be dragged kicking and screaming from under his house with an icepick to his ear! Of course, he said he was from a small town and initially thought it would be a pretty exciting adventure, which excitement ended when the plane landed and the door opened he said.

Brian should have never been accepted but back then they were taking everyone, well, not everyone as we've seen over the years, even those who can't today remember which of his feet was the problem! Brian grew 6 entire inches in 3 months one summer and spent many months in almost a full body cast, as they decided back then he had Marfan Syndrome, the same connective tissue disorder that Abe Lincoln had. I don't think it was a good diagnosis but he definitely had problems that occur when you literally grow too quickly. Often Marfan leads to scoliosis which he doesn't have but he does have stenosis of the spine, which initially began the back problems he has today. I think it also stems from everyone asking the "big guy" to move heavy things for them-- and he always did it. He's paying for it now, that's for sure.

I'm just glad he lived through it and came home, moved to New Orleans and found me!

52MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? - Page 3 Empty Re: MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? Mon May 08, 2017 4:23 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

I'm cooking burgers braised with onions, carrots and celery. Broccoli when done; shall be added just before we are ready to eat. .

53MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? - Page 3 Empty Re: MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? Mon May 08, 2017 6:38 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Gee, burgers sound like a good idea, Jimmy!

(actually, I planned to cook them this morning but I'm more than happy to give you the credit)

After a lot of 'heavy' meals it was good to get home and make burgers.

MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? - Page 3 IMG_20170508_171623042_HDR

54MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? - Page 3 Empty Re: MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? Mon May 08, 2017 11:00 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Yeah.... No place like home!
Burgers were fine, but I added sweet baby rays BBQ sauce, and Tina got sick.
MSG in the sauce, and she can't eat that.

MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? - Page 3 I32woO

MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? - Page 3 FWuUBv

Last edited by UNCLE JIMMY on Mon May 08, 2017 11:38 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : add pics)

55MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? - Page 3 Empty Re: MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? Tue May 09, 2017 2:44 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Oh, dear.....you gotta read every label on every item when you have someone who's really sensitive to the ingredients. That's upsetting when you were trying to make a nice meal to share.

Fortunately, we don't have any 'real' allergic reactions here ~ it's just that we don't like:

Garlic ~ Cilantro ~ Cheese (he gets it but I avoid it)

Most other things we both can / will eat. Well, except he avoids white potatoes & rice and most breads, canned vegetables, processed meats (like lunchmeat), sugars, sweets, desserts.....

Gee, I guess we do have a pretty long list of 'not-in-this-house' forbidden foods!

LOL

56MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? - Page 3 Empty Re: MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? Tue May 09, 2017 2:53 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Tonight I'm making some Huli Huli Chicken with the Trader Joe's California Sprouted Rice we like so much. I think I'll make a stir fry of carrots, celery & onions to be the vegetable side......

We just returned from his Army reunion in Charleston and now I'm preparing for another road trip. On Thursday Lyn has asked me if I'll drive to Atlanta with her for a family funeral. We'll return on Saturday.

Then next Tuesday Dane is heading up to Ohio for a week. He wants to drive so we have a car available and we'll have a chance to see a few friends. I'll fly up on Friday and then back on Monday.....no 16-hour 'straight-through' drive for me! The flight was cheaper than if I rode with him and we stopped for the night once on the way to and once on the way home from Ohio ~ so a 2 hour flight works for me much better.

We want to go so we can go to the 'Celebration of Life' and Mass for his first step-mother (the mother of two of his sisters). She passed away recently at the age of 94 after some health issues and living in a nursing facility for about a year and a half. It's interesting that she made arrangements to donate her body to the local college so there won't be a burial until the school is done with her. But we want to be there to give some support to Dane's sister who was the one to visit her daily while she was in the nursing home.

57MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? - Page 3 Empty Re: MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? Tue May 09, 2017 4:56 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Beth... a lot of hidden things in a recipe, are labeled as spices and flavorings.
!~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Have a safe trip to Ohio. You will have a lot to do, from what you explained priviously.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Today, we ate Mikes casserole and Tina made it early. I ate already.
T made a banana cake, so that will be dessert.... much later....

58MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? - Page 3 Empty Re: MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? Tue May 09, 2017 6:51 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Huli Huli Chicken with California Sprouted Rice and Stir Fry vegetables......

MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? - Page 3 IMG_20170509_170331157_HDR

59MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? - Page 3 Empty Re: MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? Tue May 09, 2017 10:39 pm

NormM

NormM

At the store today, I was just picking up stuff we were out of and on a whim I got some beef stew bones to make some broth. I didn't know what I was going to do with it but thought I should add some meat. They had three little pieces of meat in one package for under 6 dollars and it said they were Spencer steaks. When I got home, I looked up Spencer steaks and found they were rib eye steaks. I cooked them in a hot skillet and finished them in the oven and they were good (and cheap) It was enough for the two of us with a baked potato each and some left over green beans. I didn't take a picture today.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

60MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? - Page 3 Empty Re: MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? Wed May 10, 2017 8:10 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Don't you just love a deal? What a happy surprise!

61MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? - Page 3 Empty Re: MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? Wed May 10, 2017 9:00 am

NormM

NormM

Yes. It was a happy surprise.

62MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? - Page 3 Empty Re: MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? Wed May 10, 2017 2:12 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Today is a Ho Hum finger tap on the table, with eye's looking up, question mark????; what to have for dinner... ?????

I threw out 2/3 's of last nights casserole. The dinner rolls were hard, and not enough cheese.
The sauce was jar yucky sauce.

I'm going below decks to take a food survey. I also have to separate and portion chicken breast for freezing. Oh Dear Lord.... how I hate that! .... Yes, I will have on exam gloves.
OOoooo! I just got a flash thought on supper. Sausage, and peppers. or Chili with beans.

63MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? - Page 3 Empty Re: MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? Wed May 10, 2017 2:48 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

I have to freeze portions of ground chuck but I am out of bags and it means a trip to the store.

64MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? - Page 3 Empty Re: MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? Wed May 10, 2017 3:43 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:I have to freeze portions of ground chuck but I am out of bags and it means a trip to the store.
Do you freeze the ground chuck / beef etc. flat in the bag?

I always freeze it flat, and it so easy to store in the freezer, and thaw is fast.

65MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? - Page 3 Empty Re: MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? Wed May 10, 2017 5:25 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

I always weight my portions and freeze them flat.

66MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? - Page 3 Empty Re: MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? Wed May 10, 2017 7:18 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Well, I did the last meal for a few days.....

Pork chops sauteed in the cast iron skillet, green beans, baked sweet potato and a Sam's Club Asian salad kit....amazingly, Dane really liked the salad and only commented it could have used a bit more vinegar in the dressing. I told him next time we're at WalMart he should look for a comment card and fill it out............

Hahahahahahaha!

MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? - Page 3 IMG_20170510_170354862

67MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? - Page 3 Empty Re: MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? Wed May 10, 2017 9:20 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

I made fried onions and kidney beans over medium shells pasta.
Tina chewed with that nya nya tongue behind the two front teeth; and pushing the food into a mash.

68MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? - Page 3 Empty Re: MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? Wed May 10, 2017 9:46 pm

NormM

NormM

The only thing I cooked was a loaf of bread. It is my usual sourdough recipe but I baked it in one loaf pan instead of two.

MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? - Page 3 20170514

69MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? - Page 3 Empty Re: MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? Thu May 11, 2017 12:48 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:The only thing I cooked was a loaf of bread.  It is my usual sourdough recipe but I baked it in one loaf pan instead of two.

MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? - Page 3 20170514
Wow! .... A pound of butter, and I'd be in heaven!
That's "Giaganto" Norm!

70MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? - Page 3 Empty Re: MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? Thu May 11, 2017 10:44 am

NormM

NormM

It took a lot longer to bake because of it's size. I had to tent it with foil to keep it from getting too brown on top.

71MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? - Page 3 Empty Re: MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? Thu May 11, 2017 12:00 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:It took a lot longer to bake because of it's size. I had to tent it with foil to keep it from getting too brown on top.
Smart Man.  Idea  You're thinking like a top baker!

That's like when I fry in a pan with shallow oil, the second side after turning, takes less heat, and less time to cook than the first side.

72MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? - Page 3 Empty Re: MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? Thu May 11, 2017 12:50 pm

NormM

NormM

After the crust is set, I put a thermometer probe in the bread and cook it to 190 and not by time because it is never exactly the same amount of time.

73MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? - Page 3 Empty Re: MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? Fri May 12, 2017 1:28 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

That's a good check for  done-ness.
Tina says she can tap the loaf when it looks done, for a deep hollow sound Rolling Eyes . I told her, Looks can be deceiving!
Nothing worse than slicing through the bread, and finding wet mud in the middle.

74MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? - Page 3 Empty Re: MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? Fri May 12, 2017 1:36 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

The little pigs must have been stealing, because their feet have been cut off.
Tina boiled them all night with a head of garlic, and pepper corns.
She is happy now that they are in the fridge jelling.

I am NOT a fan OF pigs feet! .......... I will have some tenderloin steaks that Tina picked up yesterday.
I fired up the grill yesterday for the first time, so I could burn the pigs feet hairs. So the grill works for the season.

75MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? - Page 3 Empty Re: MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? Fri May 12, 2017 11:41 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

I made a copycat Jack In The Box fried taco recipe. Joe and Katie loved it. I tasted it and spat it out because it would give me a stomach ache. Unfortunately the residue left in my mouth gave me pain. I thought they were good too.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 10]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum