Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ?

+3
cookingirl
Crybaby
UNCLE JIMMY
7 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 10]

76MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? - Page 4 Empty Re: MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? Fri May 12, 2017 11:48 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

bethk wrote:Fortunately, we don't have any 'real' allergic reactions here ~ it's just that we don't like:

Garlic   ~   Cilantro   ~   Cheese (he gets it but I avoid it)

Ya'll don't like garlic, Beth?!  I had no clue.  I don't think I could cook without garlic -- it would be like cooking without onions! How can you eat out, as don't most restaurants use garlic?  They sure do down here.  Cilantro I get -- even cheese I get. But I'm stunned at garlic.  Is it a digestion/stomach issue or do you both just not like it?  I thought sure I'd seen garlic in some of your recipes, or maybe it's fresh garlic you don't use and you use garlic powder?  

Beth, I thought I knew ye! Razz Razz Razz Surprised Surprised Surprised

77MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? - Page 4 Empty Re: MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? Fri May 12, 2017 11:55 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

bethk wrote:...The flight was cheaper than if I rode with him and we stopped for the night once on the way to and once on the way home from Ohio ~ so a 2 hour flight works for me much better.

Don't blame you but flying is such a hassle now, too. Be careful as all I see on the news is freaking fisticuffs on flights lately!

bethk wrote:We want to go so we can go to the 'Celebration of Life' and Mass for his first step-mother (the mother of two of his sisters).  She passed away recently at the age of 94 after some health issues and living in a nursing facility for about a year and a half.  It's interesting that she made arrangements to donate her body to the local college so there won't be a burial until the school is done with her.  But we want to be there to give some support to Dane's sister who was the one to visit her daily while she was in the nursing home.

So sorry for Dane's loss. I want to do that with my body, too, (somebody has to do it, you know?) but am not sure if they want it with all my maladies. Tulane Med School does the same thing -- they "name" you and when they're finished with you, they have a little thank you service amongst themselves and then return your body to your family for burial.

That's nice of you to support his sister, and recognize the person who takes care of everything when they remain close by. I hope despite the circumstances that you enjoy seeing all your friends and relatives while you're there.

78MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? - Page 4 Empty Re: MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? Fri May 12, 2017 11:59 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

NormM wrote:It took a lot longer to bake because of it's size. I had to tent it with foil to keep it from getting too brown on top.

I'll say it again, Norm -- you make the PRETTIEST breads!

Jimmy, I can just picture the butter Tina would put on a slice of that bread, huh? Laughing

79MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? - Page 4 Empty Re: MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? Sat May 13, 2017 12:04 am

Crybaby

Crybaby

Jimmy, the grilled pigs feet to remove the hairs made me queasy.

I've got to ask and mean no disrespect: Do the pigs feet smell when Tina is boiling them? I've seen them occasionally in the store and have to quickly look away before my stomach rolls! I know we are all used to stuff we grew up on no matter how alien it seems to others but I'm sure glad my parents didn't make or eat pigs feet, as I wouldn't have been able to keep my supper down just watching them chew on Babe's feet!!!! pale

80MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? - Page 4 Empty Re: MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? Sat May 13, 2017 12:12 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Crybaby wrote:
NormM wrote:It took a lot longer to bake because of it's size. I had to tent it with foil to keep it from getting too brown on top.

I'll say it again, Norm -- you make the PRETTIEST breads!

Jimmy, I can just picture the butter Tina would put on a slice of that bread, huh?  Laughing
Tina always sings, when she makes home made bread, "Home Made Bread, and Home Churned Butter!" :Yummm!"

Today, I made the steaks on the grill, and it was funny.... I had a baked sweet potato, with a double pat of butter.
Butter on my steak too! I love steak; dripping with butter juice.

81MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? - Page 4 Empty Re: MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? Sat May 13, 2017 12:24 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Crybaby wrote:Jimmy, the grilled pigs feet to remove the hairs made me queasy.

I've got to ask and mean no disrespect:  Do the pigs feet smell when Tina is boiling them?  I've seen them occasionally in the store and have to quickly look away before my stomach rolls!  I know we are all used to stuff we grew up on no matter how alien it seems to others but I'm sure glad my parents didn't make or eat pigs feet, as I wouldn't have been able to keep my supper down just watching them chew on Babe's feet!!!!  pale

The feet were actually spotlessly clean. I burn them because of ritual I say. That's the way her grand mom made them and her mother too! .... Actually, the house smelled magnificent as they cooked all night for 7 hours.
When she eats them, It's finger food, and lips that sound like eating Jello without a spoon.  I walk away. Far away!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBzJGckMYO4

Last edited by UNCLE JIMMY on Sat May 13, 2017 12:27 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : PORKY CLIP)

82MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? - Page 4 Empty Re: MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? Sat May 13, 2017 4:51 am

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:The little pigs must have been stealing, because their feet have been cut off.
Tina boiled them all night with a head of garlic, and pepper corns.
She is happy now that they are in the fridge jelling.

I am NOT a fan OF pigs feet! .......... I will have some tenderloin steaks that Tina picked up yesterday.
I fired up the grill yesterday for the first time, so I could burn the pigs feet hairs. So the grill works for the season.

We eat pig feet too, my Mom burnt the feet to make sure the hairs were clean.. sometimes I bought them and cooked them in soy sauce, and lots of garlic, a bit of five spice powder and brown sugar, here I found one picture, I ate it with noodles, it was do good.. Dirk eats them too, not his favorite but he ate them when I cooked them

MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? - Page 4 15440429_10211803513789668_5878071934093586196_o

83MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? - Page 4 Empty Re: MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? Sat May 13, 2017 1:34 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Trotters. I have never had them but I have seen them in the hispanic grocery store. Tell me, do they have toenails?

84MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? - Page 4 Empty Re: MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? Sat May 13, 2017 7:29 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:Trotters. I have never had them but I have seen them in the hispanic grocery store. Tell me, do they have toenails?
Toe nails??.... Oh Yeah! ... Big thick ones.

85MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? - Page 4 Empty Re: MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? Sat May 13, 2017 7:33 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Supper tonight.... stuffed clams, and Mrs. Paul's Fish Sticks.

86MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? - Page 4 Empty Re: MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? Sat May 13, 2017 8:20 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:The feet were actually spotlessly clean. I burn them because of ritual I say. That's the way her grand mom made them and her mother too! .... Actually, the house smelled magnificent as they cooked all night for 7 hours.

When she eats them, It's finger food, and lips that sound like eating Jello without a spoon.  I walk away. Far away!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBzJGckMYO4

Laughed at your Porky Pig video clip!

87MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? - Page 4 Empty Re: MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? Sat May 13, 2017 8:23 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Bugster2 wrote:Trotters. I have never had them but I have seen them in the hispanic grocery store. Tell me, do they have toenails?

You HAD to do it, right, Debbie?! GAG!!!!

88MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? - Page 4 Empty Re: MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? Sat May 13, 2017 8:25 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:
Toe nails??.... Oh Yeah! ... Big thick ones.

Are you guys purposely colluding to make me gag? Yuck.

89MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? - Page 4 Empty Re: MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? Sat May 13, 2017 8:31 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Imelda wrote:We eat pig feet too, my Mom burnt the feet to make sure the hairs were clean.. sometimes I bought them and cooked them in soy sauce, and lots of garlic, a bit of five spice powder and brown sugar, here I found one picture, I ate it with noodles, it was do good.. Dirk eats them too, not his favorite but he ate them when I cooked them

Well, the day has finally come, Imelda, where what you cooked DID NOT appeal to me.  I wouldn't have known that was a pig's foot in that photo but just knowing it was made me feel like I presume Beth feels when she thinks about CHEESE!!!

Beth, be glad you're on the road with Lyn as they're eating pig's feet over here -- and I'll bet they put CHEESE on top, too!  MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? - Page 4 411572088

90MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? - Page 4 Empty Re: MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? Sat May 13, 2017 8:38 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

I read an article the other day that said a bit of vinegar splashed into sautéed mushrooms made them taste really good.  I'm going to try to remember to try just a teaspoon and see if it's true.

91MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? - Page 4 Empty Re: MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? Sat May 13, 2017 11:33 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

We went to Mission San Juan Capistrano today only to find there was a mariachi battle of the bands inside and the place was sold out. We then went to a wine/olive oil/vinegar shop where they have wine and food tasting. Joe and Katie got glasses of wine and I bought a jar of balsamic mustard. They had some wonderful flavored salts and an incredible smoked olive oil. $26 a bottle was too steep for my wallet. We walked by a bar that was playing live music but when we saw the security guard and a sign that said "No Weapons", we just kept walking. We ate at a restaurant and had some good edamame with a garlic ponzu sauce. Joe had blackened salmon tacos, Katie had some kind of Thai chicken flatbread.

92MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? - Page 4 Empty Re: MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? Sun May 14, 2017 8:49 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Lyn and I got back last night at about 6 p.m. I am so happy to be back home and away from the horrible traffic in Atlanta. I've driven on I-75 through Atlanta before but it was nothing compared to the 'parking lot' on I-85 and I-285 where we had to go to get to the hotel & church & family home after the service. Lyn is a great 'navigator' and knows how to help me determine which lane I need to get to, although we did have to make a couple U-turns when we missed an exit because we couldn't get where we needed to be.

We were too late to make it to the 'visitation' time but were told it was fine because it was 'wall-to-wall' people wanting to speak with Lyn's niece and family. The death was sudden and unexpected, he was only 51 years old and was active and working as a swim coach for a large club of hundreds of high school aged kids. The large Catholic Church was completely filled with people for the service. They had 3 priests to help with the Communion for the friends and family. The local priest, a wonderful man with a great Irish accent (the kind of priest you think of when you hear a joke about the priest, the rabi and the minister going into a bar......) invited the group to a reception in the attached hall to visit with the family ~ said it was the largest funeral group they had ever hosted.

Later in the day we were invited to go to his sister's home for a family 'get together'. The sister's husband is a doctor and they have a beautifully restored older home that sits high on a hill overlooking a golf course. Lyn's sister told us Heidi's sister-in-law had spent over 2 years overseeing the restoration of the home. We only saw the downstairs, of course, (no, I did not go sneaking up the stairway to check out the family areas of the home......) and I was awed by the breakfast nook, kitchen & dining room.

The kitchen was just like you'd see on a TV renovation. She had TWO islands, both at least 6' X 8' in size. I didn't measure but I know I could not have reached much more than the center of the islands. Both islands had either refrigerator drawers or dish washer drawers installed. There was a huge restaurant style Wolf range and Sub Zero refrigerator & freezer with the 'cabinet' style doors. The dining room had a huge rustic table that would easily seat 16. The 'server' piece was an old wood work bench with vices on the front. It had been restored and the wood was absolutely beautiful. It was the kind of house you could really appreciate for it's beauty but it was much larger than I would want at this stage of my life.....or even when I was younger. But it was the kind of home you felt comfortable in as a guest.....oh, did I mention the restored wood floors? OMG! Ah, but enough.......I could go on and on.

So, as I said, it's good to be home. Now on to the rest of the crazy month.

Today we're suppose to go to Don Shula's restaurant at Disney. Lyn & Bill had mentioned wanting to take us there after Christmas when I helped out because of her back injury/recovery. I doubt I'll be able to take pics (I do realize it's a bit 'tacky' at a really high end restaurant!) but I'll try to make some mental notes to share later.

Dane will probably leave on Tuesday or Wednesday for Ohio and I'll fly out Friday and return on Monday. That should be a whirlwind. One of the highlights will be our introduction to our soon-to-be new son-in-law.....I think he's a little nervous to meet the whole family at one shot. Well, not the whole family. Andrea's husband, Jim, is staying home to take our Tori to her 3 soccer games over the weekend and transporting Joshua to/from work. But there will be 3 sets of eyes to scare him with.........."we're watching you, Ben.....we're watching!" LOL

93MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? - Page 4 Empty Re: MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? Sun May 14, 2017 11:46 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

When we were driving to the hotel in Atlanta (after Lyn got word we didn't need to hurry to get to the visitation on Thursday evening) we saw a HUGE oriental market and decided to stop to have the treat of seeing the kind of market other people take advantage of, and probably take for granted because there is such an array of choices in the area.

Apparently one of the produce specials was pound boxes of strawberries.....$0.79 each! Amazing price. The produce department was filled with so many things I had no clue what they were. The meats were facinating.....huge bags of chicken feet, gizzards, hearts, etc. They sold whole lambs (in canvas sacks), tons of live and fresh fish.

We walked up and down the aisles just to see the wide variety of items. I was really happy to find THIS on the shelf.

MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? - Page 4 IMG_20170514_102823982

Now all I have to do is figure out how to cook beautiful meals like Imelda does and learn to take really breathtaking pictures to share with you guys. I suspect these jarred fried onions are the key to her meals! LOL

Then, on the drive home, we stopped at Lane's Peach Orchard in Georgia (Exit #142 off I-75) and I got a peck of the first peaches of the season. They're really going to take a few days to a week or so to get ripe. Right now they are hard as a baseball (but I cut one and they do taste like a 'real' peach) and hopefully will ripen on the countertop.

MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? - Page 4 IMG_20170514_102749748_HDR

I brought home a couple fried peach 'hand pies', one for us to split and one for our neighbors, Tommy & Joanne. He's from Georgia so I just had to bring HIM something peachy. Dane and I shared our peach pie half moon....it was good peach flavor but they added almond flavoring (like maraschino cherries) and I much prefer MY peaches without the addition of any flavoring or spice. I like the pure taste of the fruit. But, of course, it didn't stop me from eating my half of the pie!

94MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? - Page 4 Empty Re: MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? Sun May 14, 2017 12:01 pm

NormM

NormM

You had a fun day Beth.  I imagine the farmer's markets around here should be having ripe vegetables and fruit in a month of so.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

95MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? - Page 4 Empty Re: MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? Sun May 14, 2017 12:52 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Two islands! What luxury! It is funny because I would give anything to have more space. I grew up in large old homes and I have never been able to get used to small spaces. It would be different if it was just me. I would prefer a small hardscaped yard over the one we have now. Too much work. I was watching Tiny House Nation yesterday. They had these 200 sq/ft homes. There was a woman with 2 or 3 kids and another couple with a toddler. If I had to live like that they would have to take me away in a straight jacket. I remember watching House Hunters with a couple and two small children who thought an 1800sqft house was too big. Are they on drugs? My sister's house is around 6000sqft. She had 3 boys and it still wasn't big enough for all their crap.

96MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? - Page 4 Empty Re: MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? Sun May 14, 2017 1:02 pm

NormM

NormM

Every time I see one of those small space houses, I think the only way I'd even think about living in such a small space is if the house was docked a pier and had a motor and rudder.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

97MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? - Page 4 Empty Re: MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? Sun May 14, 2017 1:12 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Yes, Norm, Lyn & I did have a 'fun' trip, even if the reason we drove to Atlanta was because of a sad event.

We had lots of time to chat.  You know how women are; we just talk & talk & talk and then think of something else to say.

We both said it was always a better trip without Dane or Bill....but only because of the differences between men and women who have to travel.  Men are, generally, only interested in getting from Point A to Point B in the fastest way.  IF you need to use a bathroom they'd appreciate you holding it until it's time to stop for gas ~ and then, "HURRY!"

Lyn & I, on the other hand, are much more interested in the journey than the destination.  We both need to stop about every hour or so to walk a bit and move our bodies.  So we check out where we can stop to eat on the way.  We saw a billboard for a place called The French Market ~ http://www.frenchmarkettavern.com/ ~ and Lyn googled it on her I-Pad.  The place was as cute as it could be ~ she had a Brie, Onion & Caramalized Apple Flatbread and a cup of Bean, Potato & Leek soup.  I had a cup of the same soup and one of my all time favorites ~ Fried Green Tomatoes with a spicy remoulade.  

On the way back we couldn't find anything of interest and were going to just pick up something quickly at a chain restaurant when we saw a sign advertising "Historic Forsythe" and we drove about 2 miles off the highway and found the town square (courthouse in the center, businesses surrounding) and went to a place that was recently re-done (at least it looked that way to us) called Grits ~ http://www.gritscafe.com/.  We ordered what sounded good to each of us and split it....she got a meatloaf sandwich, grilled with restaurant made 5-grain bread, Tillamonk Cheddar Cheese (they actually made MY half without the cheese~GREAT place!), tomato jam and a spicy aioli.  I ordered off the 'starters' list:  Shrimp & Grits Martini ~ Stone ground grits (made without the normal cheese....LOVED that place), a bacon/mushroom gravy & topped with grilled shrimp, one chopped & one hanging on the side of the glass.  Great presentation (but, of course, I didn't remember to take pics).  I also ordered a little Onion Tart that came with micro greens and a tomato/sweet pepper relish on the side.  The interesting thing was the grits ~ Lyn was fairly certain she didn't like grits.  But these grits were really, really good.  They almost tasted like crunchy creamed corn, if that makes sense.  Great corn flavor and some real 'bite' to the rough milled corn.  We both agreed we'd try it again given the opportunity.

98MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? - Page 4 Empty Re: MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? Sun May 14, 2017 1:39 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Beth... so sorry to hear the bad news.
I'm sure the good events and driving made up for the sorrow.

Reading all that, made me tired, and I'm ready for a nap after reading your adventure's.
God Bless you, and your stamina!

99MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? - Page 4 Empty Re: MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? Sun May 14, 2017 1:50 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

This is, unexpectedly, a VERY busy month for travel......and eating.

After this weekend of non-stop food, next weekend will be even MORE.  I fly in on Friday evening (hopefully in time to make it to Jake's baseball game).  On Saturday we all go to Grandma Angie's Celebration of Life at St. Pius X, then to The Beiruit Restaurant ~ http://www.beirutrestaurant.com/ a Lebanese restaurant that has been in Toledo since the 1970's and is a favorite of Dane's sister, Sally.  THEN, because Andrea wanted to take us out for Mother's Day and Father's Day, we'll be going to another old time Toledo haunt, Mancy's Steakhouse ~ https://www.mancys.com/#steakhouse .  On Sunday Sally asked if we could meet her for breakfast so she can talk with her brother for a bit without a crowd around.

I fly home on Monday afternoon and will be checking the phone book for the local "Fat Sucking" business........(you've seen the ads on TV, haven't you?)

100MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? - Page 4 Empty Re: MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? Sun May 14, 2017 3:34 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Bugster2 wrote:Two islands! What luxury! It is funny because I would give anything to have more space. I grew up in large old homes and I have never been able to get used to small spaces. It would be different if it was just me. I would prefer a small hardscaped yard over the one we have now. Too much work. I was watching Tiny House Nation yesterday. They had these 200 sq/ft homes. There was a woman with 2 or 3 kids and another couple with a toddler. If I had to live like that they would have to take me away in a straight jacket. I remember watching House Hunters with a couple and two small children who thought an 1800sqft house was too big. Are they on drugs? My sister's house is around 6000sqft. She had 3 boys and it still wasn't big enough for all their crap.

Yes, Debbie, it was an absolutely beautiful kitchen. I did get one pic that's not all that great....shows a slab of granite with some people standing around the other island and the gorgeous Wolf range. You can't really tell how large both islands were....they were identical. I think the ladies were cleaning up after putting away all the leftovers from the buffet meal they had set out.

Everything about this kitchen was 'top shelf' and done with wonderful taste, although I would think the corners of the islands would look better 'rounded off' instead of with the decorative carving (probably done a few years ago when that edge design was really in vogue).

MAY 2017...Whats cooking for dinner ? - Page 4 IMG_20170512_195656104

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 10]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum