Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

March 2017, What's cooking For Dinner?

+4
NormM
Crybaby
jetfan27
cookingirl
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 11]

76March 2017, What's cooking For Dinner? - Page 4 Empty Re: March 2017, What's cooking For Dinner? Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:12 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

I just found some curtains for my den at Target. BBB has a good selection.

77March 2017, What's cooking For Dinner? - Page 4 Empty Re: March 2017, What's cooking For Dinner? Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:16 pm

NormM

NormM

I went to BBB. Target was next door but I didn't go there.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

78March 2017, What's cooking For Dinner? - Page 4 Empty Re: March 2017, What's cooking For Dinner? Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:46 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I got 'room darkening' curtains at WalMart and I love 'em. They do a great job keeping the heat out of my bedrooms. I have a dark burgundy in our bedroom and a light green in the spare bedroom. Both do a good job of keeping the light from coming in.

79March 2017, What's cooking For Dinner? - Page 4 Empty Re: March 2017, What's cooking For Dinner? Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:53 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Here are the drapes in our master bedroom (please note I did NOT take it so the unmade bed was showing!). I have a honeycomb blind on the window and I pushed it up so you could see how the light does come in somewhat. When the blind is down it's VERY dark.

March 2017, What's cooking For Dinner? - Page 4 IMG_20170309_154745886

My guest bedroom also has the same kind of blind ~ but it faces west so even though the blind is down behind the room darkening drapes, there is light coming in.

March 2017, What's cooking For Dinner? - Page 4 IMG_20170309_154806037_HDR

80March 2017, What's cooking For Dinner? - Page 4 Empty Re: March 2017, What's cooking For Dinner? Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:54 pm

NormM

NormM

Cassie and Charlie who had my bedroom before I switched with them had black out curtains on their windows.  I have a paper shade on my window now and the only time I am in there is after dark so I don't need them except in the sitting room next door where my computer faces the window and the sun shines in. That is when I fell recently, putting one of those up.

PS my paper shade is just some paper folded accordion like and taped there.  The previous owners put it there and I didn't take it down.

81March 2017, What's cooking For Dinner? - Page 4 Empty Re: March 2017, What's cooking For Dinner? Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:05 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

It's been a crappy day here.  Yesterday the aerator on my kitchen faucet broke apart.....Moen faucet.  Mr. Amazing is in the worst mood since his surgery.  I know he's never had major surgery before but I cannot believe he honestly thinks yelling at me is going to make him feel less crappy......

I took the part off (I had to ask for assistance because I couldn't unscrew the thing) and took it to Lowe's.  Very nice man there found the replacement I needed and I was able to screw it on and, violia! ~ fixed.  What I did not know is that while I was at Lowe's, Mr. Amazing had disassembled the whole faucet to see what he might have to do if we had to replace the whole thing.

So, this morning he took a shower and when he got done I mentioned we didn't have any hot water.  I was trying to wash a pan in the kitchen and grease just doesn't come off without some hot water.  He said to wait because he probably used all the hot water when he showered.  So, an hour later, no hot water.  Two hours....STILL no hot water.  

He spent over an hour on the computer looking for the replacement part for the thermostat on the hot water heater.  It sounded like it was heating but, no, still no hot water.

So, I made some phone calls and off we go to Lowe's again.  HE'S not happy.  He feels crappy and he didn't want to go to Lowe's.  I said I'd go alone ~ and probably get the wrong part, but he didn't have to go.  He went.

We found the spare parts area.  They had the thermostat.  He got home and replace it in 3 minutes flat.  We waited half an hour.  

NO HOT WATER.  Crap.

Then, I thought, why not try the sink in the guest bathroom.

H * O * T       W * A * T * E * R   !!!!!!!

(Excuse me but this is appropriate here)    

WTF ???

Went to the kitchen sink and tried the 'cold water' side of the single handle faucet.

HOT WATER !!!

SOMEONE (and this is NOT with any sort of accusing tone in my voice) turned the valve when he took apart the faucet and the hot side was now the cold side and the cold side was now hot.

Why he laughed is beyond me.

82March 2017, What's cooking For Dinner? - Page 4 Empty Re: March 2017, What's cooking For Dinner? Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:35 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Burger patties on the grill with a 'white' sweet potato (picked it out when we went to Whole Foods in Orlando on Monday) and peas for me and green beans for him.

March 2017, What's cooking For Dinner? - Page 4 IMG_20170309_171155154

83March 2017, What's cooking For Dinner? - Page 4 Empty Re: March 2017, What's cooking For Dinner? Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:03 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:It's been a crappy day here.  Yesterday the aerator on my kitchen faucet broke apart.....Moen faucet.  Mr. Amazing is in the worst mood since his surgery.  I know he's never had major surgery before but I cannot believe he honestly thinks yelling at me is going to make him feel less crappy......

I took the part off (I had to ask for assistance because I couldn't unscrew the thing) and took it to Lowe's.  Very nice man there found the replacement I needed and I was able to screw it on and, violia! ~ fixed.  What I did not know is that while I was at Lowe's, Mr. Amazing had disassembled the whole faucet to see what he might have to do if we had to replace the whole thing.

So, this morning he took a shower and when he got done I mentioned we didn't have any hot water.  I was trying to wash a pan in the kitchen and grease just doesn't come off without some hot water.  He said to wait because he probably used all the hot water when he showered.  So, an hour later, no hot water.  Two hours....STILL no hot water.  

He spent over an hour on the computer looking for the replacement part for the thermostat on the hot water heater.  It sounded like it was heating but, no, still no hot water.

So, I made some phone calls and off we go to Lowe's again.  HE'S not happy.  He feels crappy and he didn't want to go to Lowe's.  I said I'd go alone ~ and probably get the wrong part, but he didn't have to go.  He went.

We found the spare parts area.  They had the thermostat.  He got home and replace it in 3 minutes flat.  We waited half an hour.  

NO HOT WATER.  Crap.

Then, I thought, why not try the sink in the guest bathroom.

H * O * T       W * A * T * E * R   !!!!!!!

(Excuse me but this is appropriate here)    

WTF ???

Went to the kitchen sink and tried the 'cold water' side of the single handle faucet.

HOT WATER !!!

SOMEONE (and this is NOT with any sort of accusing tone in my voice) turned the valve when he took apart the faucet and the hot side was now the cold side and the cold side was now hot.

Why he laughed is beyond me.

It is a very common thing, to set the mixing valve cartridge in the faucet 180 degrees out of kilter. That will reverse the cold / hot side. Common rule in plumbing is Cold right / Hot left.

84March 2017, What's cooking For Dinner? - Page 4 Empty Re: March 2017, What's cooking For Dinner? Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:20 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Jim and Sherrie came over after work to see the baby, and to have supper.
Tina picked up a cooked chicken breast, made mashed potatoes, and peas and broccoli.
They ate that, and I ate a couple fried meatballs, and a bologna sandwich on white bread and hot mustard. A banana and two cookies for dessert.

85March 2017, What's cooking For Dinner? - Page 4 Empty Re: March 2017, What's cooking For Dinner? Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:10 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

I made Tommy Bahama's crab bisque except I used shrimp instead. Much cheaper. Very rich and very good.

86March 2017, What's cooking For Dinner? - Page 4 Empty Re: March 2017, What's cooking For Dinner? Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:15 am

NormM

NormM

I bought a Salmon frozen entree for two.  I baked it in the oven. It was Mediterranean crusted flavor or something like that. Neither of us liked it. I also made Asian brown rice and corn on the cob.

87March 2017, What's cooking For Dinner? - Page 4 Empty Re: March 2017, What's cooking For Dinner? Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:54 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

I goofed! .... For supper tonight, last night, I took out a rack of pork ribs, and washed and seasoned with rub spices, and just as I set it in the fridge, ((*Boing )) it hit me!
"NO MEAT FRIDAY"...Grrrrrrrrrrr
That's OK.... Saturday will be rib day. That will give me a chance to make some macaroni salad. That goes fine with BBQ.

We got some snow today! 5 or 6 inches, and the streets are just wet because of the 58 degrees we had yesterday. Today it is 32, but tonight it is supposed to dip into the low 20's. We always called this month, "Crazy March!"

88March 2017, What's cooking For Dinner? - Page 4 Empty Re: March 2017, What's cooking For Dinner? Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:58 pm

NormM

NormM

March 2017, What's cooking For Dinner? - Page 4 Dscn4111

March 2017, What's cooking For Dinner? - Page 4 20170317
I used the smoker today to do some ribs. Also made some potato salad.

89March 2017, What's cooking For Dinner? - Page 4 Empty Re: March 2017, What's cooking For Dinner? Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:33 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:March 2017, What's cooking For Dinner? - Page 4 Dscn4111

March 2017, What's cooking For Dinner? - Page 4 20170317
I used the smoker today to do some ribs. Also made some potato salad.

Norm, looks like we're on the same track anyway; even though
mine will be cooked tomorrow!

90March 2017, What's cooking For Dinner? - Page 4 Empty Re: March 2017, What's cooking For Dinner? Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:29 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

It's in the 80's out here.

91March 2017, What's cooking For Dinner? - Page 4 Empty Re: March 2017, What's cooking For Dinner? Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:47 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Ribs look great, Norm! Now you've got Jimmy's jowl's droolin'......

No supper here tonight. I had late lunch with the neighborhood ladies so I just heated up whatever leftovers I had in the refrigerator for Dane.

He had a couple pieces of chicken w/almonds & olives over a tiny bit of rice, some lady peas, half a sweet potato and a plate of cucumbers and radishes.

He actually rather enjoyed the assortment. Go figure.

92March 2017, What's cooking For Dinner? - Page 4 Empty Re: March 2017, What's cooking For Dinner? Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:04 pm

NormM

NormM

Thanks Beth & Jimmy

93March 2017, What's cooking For Dinner? - Page 4 Empty Re: March 2017, What's cooking For Dinner? Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:03 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

You're welcome Norm.
Tomorrow, I will put the rack of ribs foiled over in a glass baking pan, in the oven, at 250 degrees for like 4 hours; and then, uncovered till crispy for like another hour.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tonights supper T picked up pizza and eggplant parm sandwiches. I had a beer with mine!
Now I'm thirsty, so I'm suckling a second beer.

94March 2017, What's cooking For Dinner? - Page 4 Empty Re: March 2017, What's cooking For Dinner? Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:56 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I drove a couple of the neighbors to a large farmers' market / flea market this morning before our water exercise class. I picked up a bunch of fresh vegetables & fruit (it's strawberry season here). I got a couple really nice heads of bok choy....knew right then and there I'd be making a stir fry for supper.

When I went to Trader Joe's on Monday I picked up a couple different kinds of brown rice. Tonight I cooked the Brown Rice Medley with brown rice, black barley and daikon radish seeds. Dane loved it. It had a really nutty taste but it took FOREVER to cook, way longer than the 'suggested' 35 minutes. But, it did get tender so all's well that ends well!

March 2017, What's cooking For Dinner? - Page 4 IMG_20170311_174044594_HDR

I made chicken stir fry with carrots, onions, celery, bok choy and a little hot red pepper....seasoned with my purchased Chicken Kalbi sauce (toned down with some additional sweetness because it's really spicy). I heard not one complaint so I guess I done good!

March 2017, What's cooking For Dinner? - Page 4 IMG_20170311_172948693

95March 2017, What's cooking For Dinner? - Page 4 Empty Re: March 2017, What's cooking For Dinner? Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:40 pm

NormM

NormM

I got some brown rice at the Asian market and it is good. It isn't like American brown rice though. 

Dinner tonight was pork meatballs with a beer sauce and cheesy polenta. I was going to serve it with sweet potato but I didn't start it soon enough to get done with everything else so I made a side of spinach instead.

March 2017, What's cooking For Dinner? - Page 4 20170318

96March 2017, What's cooking For Dinner? - Page 4 Empty Re: March 2017, What's cooking For Dinner? Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:13 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Looks good, Norm! We're trying to incorporate more dark, leafy greens in our diet these days, too.

97March 2017, What's cooking For Dinner? - Page 4 Empty Re: March 2017, What's cooking For Dinner? Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:16 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

No dinner tonight for me. I got $41 for some cans at the recycler so I sent Katie and Joe out for some beach eats.

98March 2017, What's cooking For Dinner? - Page 4 Empty Re: March 2017, What's cooking For Dinner? Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:47 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Looks good, Norm!  We're trying to incorporate more dark, leafy greens in our diet these days, too.

March 2017, What's cooking For Dinner? - Page 4 2876911673 And soon, you will be eating pellet food; just like Peter and Petunia Rabbit!  March 2017, What's cooking For Dinner? - Page 4 2876911673

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBzJGckMYO4

99March 2017, What's cooking For Dinner? - Page 4 Empty Re: March 2017, What's cooking For Dinner? Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:22 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Here is today's supper. The eggplant parm sandwich.... yuck!

And the pork baby back ribs. I don't know! I was more like eating a pig that got burned in a barn fire! The meat was tender, and fell off the bones, but almost to the burnt stage!

March 2017, What's cooking For Dinner? - Page 4 8nR03e

March 2017, What's cooking For Dinner? - Page 4 LNLjAQ

100March 2017, What's cooking For Dinner? - Page 4 Empty Re: March 2017, What's cooking For Dinner? Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:36 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

DD was over this morning with a loaf of bread, a 1/2 gal of milk, and a bag of jelly beans....hahahha! She said,"Here ya go, get ready for the big snow storm on Tuesday!"

Nothing cooking; and no thoughts of what to cook! .... Got Jet / Time Lag / Jump or whatever from the time change to spring ahead!

I guess it's find and make what you want this Sunday. I could really go for a couple hot dogs.
with relish and yellow mustard.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 11]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum