Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

March 2017, What's cooking For Dinner?

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 5 of 11]

101 Re: March 2017, What's cooking For Dinner? on Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:44 pm

bethk

Admin
I don't know what I want for supper.....I'm tired of planning.

So, I opened the freezer and the first thing I saw was the Irish pork banger sausages. I'll brown them in a cast iron skillet and then add some grapes and finish them off in the oven for a short braise. He'll either love 'em or hate 'em.

Don't care. It's what's for supper.

(crappy mood, obviously ~ I'm just trying to stay clear of anyone and anything that might push me right over the edge)

102 Re: March 2017, What's cooking For Dinner? on Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:58 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:I don't know what I want for supper.....I'm tired of planning.

So, I opened the freezer and the first thing I saw was the Irish pork banger sausages.  I'll brown them in a cast iron skillet and then add some grapes and finish them off in the oven for a short braise.  He'll either love 'em or hate 'em.

Don't care.  It's what's for supper.

(crappy mood, obviously ~ I'm just trying to stay clear of anyone and anything that might push me right over the edge)

You should see it here! .... Every one ( except for me ) has "Cabin Fever!"One mention of the word snow, and everybody loses it!"

103 Re: March 2017, What's cooking For Dinner? on Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:27 pm

NormM

We had snow last night with some accumulation but a lot of it is melting away this afternoon.  There was enough to completely cover some parsley and cilantro I planted the day before.  I knew it was risky to plant this early but took a chance anyway.  The parsley might live still though. I planted some last year next to chives and those caterpillars that love to eat it stayed away.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

104 Re: March 2017, What's cooking For Dinner? on Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:21 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:We had snow last night with some accumulation but a lot of it is melting away this afternoon.  There was enough to completely cover some parsley and cilantro I planted the day before.  I knew it was risky to plant this early but took a chance anyway.  The parsley might live still though. I planted some last year next to chives and those caterpillars that love to eat it stayed away.

Rule of thumb here, is no planting till after Mothers Day.

105 Re: March 2017, What's cooking For Dinner? on Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:30 pm

bethk

Admin
Did you all see my radish harvest??? It amazes me that we've eaten fresh radishes about 4 times already. My red beets are thriving, as are the few peas. My herbs are always growing. I can't remember the last time I saw snow!

Tonight's Irish banger sausages were excellent. I did them the Barefoot Contessa method with grapes. I really like the 'sauce' you get when the grapes cook down and the juices get thick ~ and it couldn't be easier to make.

106 Re: March 2017, What's cooking For Dinner? on Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:02 pm

cookingirl

My mom's rule of thumb for planting in the NorthEast... do not plant until Memorial Day!!

Jimmy, hunker down!!! I do not know how bad the snow prediction is for you, I will will get the update in a few minutes. This morning it was 8-18 inches!!!   They did expand the Blizzard warning from just along the coast (me) to the 1/3 eastern part of the state of Massachusetts!!!  YUK!!

Just got the update forecast 12-18 inches with possibility of more!!! I am going to be buried...and housebound for a couple days!! at least.

Wind gusts of 40-60 mph!!! Yikes!!!

Gotta check out my Blizzard/hurricane box.. lanterns, flashlights, candles, battery powered radio, and see if I can find my small tailgating grill.. uses small canisters of gas. I have a couple. I had to stock up and plan a box for power outages when my dad was alive. We used to get a lot of them. I still have the stock...

YIKES!!!!!!!  

I have plenty of blankets, thermal underwear from LL Bean, and plenty of food for Artie. I just have to be careful about his meds. They are refrigerated!!!!  I guess I could put them outside in a cooler.

Will bake 1/2 a chicken breast tomorrow. I have plenty of food.... and wine!!! May be a good time to break my Lenten obligations!!!!  

I know Comcast will go down.. internet and cable TV. I am glad I still have an old landline phone.. just for emergencies, in addition to my cell phone.

Yikes!!!!!  so glad I do not have to think about work.

107 Re: March 2017, What's cooking For Dinner? on Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:16 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

We are to get only 20 to 30 mph winds, and possible 18" plus snow.

God knows, we have plenty of food.

The land line phone, is through Comcast, but dies out after 2 hours of battery back up in the main cable box. Thank God, we have the cell phones...

I have enough gas for 3 days for the generator, and plus a full tank of gas in the car that I can use for another 4 days by siphoning it out!
Have a gas stove, so we can cook on that. Plus I can heat the area if I have to with the ovens.!

We just hope and pray that everyone is safe!

108 Re: March 2017, What's cooking For Dinner? on Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:11 am

cookingirl

I wish I had a generator!!!
I know it is not cost effective, but I still have my Verizon landline old corded phone. I will pull that out tomorrow. It is my bedroom phone. I have a 100 foot telephone wire attached to it. I had to keep it for my dad, (emergencies)

They upped the amounts. We are now in the 12-18 inch category with some spots getting 24 inches of drifts or even areas of 24 inches..

The wind gusts are expected to be 40-60 MPH... YIKES!!!

I found some batteries. I need to get some C batteries for a radio. I do have 2 radios. One was my Dad's emergency one and the other was mine. We had different apartments, but I will never throw them out.. good to have. I replaced the batteries in one, the other no...so I am ok.. Do not have to go near the stores today.

I think this afternoon, while the chicken is cooking, I will pull out the emergency box and see exactly what is in there. I have 3 lanterns. One is old and on it's way out---cannot replace the battery in it.. It was the only one I could find at the time I needed one. I have one other fairly new, and another new one.. came in packs of 2 .....

Plenty of blankets.. and if the power goes out for any extended length of time, I may just break my lenten fast and have something to warm me up..

Artie is all set with his quilt.
Just concerned about keeping his compounded medicines cold.. I use them 4 times a day..

too much to think about!! I am going to get up, brush Artie, do my morning stuff, throw out the trash, and go to noontime Mass....

109 Re: March 2017, What's cooking For Dinner? on Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:00 am

Bugster2

If you lose power, can you store them in a bowl of snow?

110 Re: March 2017, What's cooking For Dinner? on Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:40 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

Tina was out and about, and I aasked her to get batteries for the portable radio.
Nice.... she brings home the batteries, and now we cannot find the darn radio.

111 Re: March 2017, What's cooking For Dinner? on Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:53 pm

bethk

Admin
UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Tina was out and about, and I aasked her to get batteries for the portable radio.

Look in the "SAFE PLACE"......

I always store everything important in a safe place.

But I can never remember where it is.............

LOL

112 Re: March 2017, What's cooking For Dinner? on Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:38 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:
UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Tina was out and about, and I aasked her to get batteries for the portable radio.

Look in the "SAFE PLACE"......

I always store everything important in a safe place.

But I can never remember where it is.............

LOL
Tina found it. It was under the bed! hahahahahaha

113 Re: March 2017, What's cooking For Dinner? on Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:21 pm

bethk

Admin
I pulled a bunch of stuff out of the refrigerator and decided to call it 'Chicken & Pasta with Leftovers'.

Not really inspiring, but tasty none the less......

Sauted chicken breast, orachette pasta, green beans, corn, tomatoes, onion, thawed tarragon cream sauce and chicken stock.

114 Re: March 2017, What's cooking For Dinner? on Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:58 pm

jetfan27

Waiting for the Blizzard of the millennium!. The way the weathermen are talking, we will probably get 2 inches

115 Re: March 2017, What's cooking For Dinner? on Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:29 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

Had Mikes Casserole topped with biscuits and cheese.
Just sittin and waiting for the blizzard they are calling "Stella" to start falling.

Tina said, it just started to snow! The only one I am worried about, is Great Grandma Evelyn up there all alone in Ridge, NY on Long Island. They are forecasting 12 to 14 inches there.

116 Re: March 2017, What's cooking For Dinner? on Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:53 pm

NormM

I used the instant pot to make beef and broccoli with an asian style sauce. I used chuck roast and it only took 35 minutes on low.  A week or so ago I had my mouth set for clams but no one had them. When I went to the store today, they had some so I got a few even though I had not planned anything to go with them.

117 Re: March 2017, What's cooking For Dinner? on Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:17 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:I used the instant pot to make beef and broccoli with an asian style sauce. I used chuck roast and it only took 35 minutes on low.  A week or so ago I had my mouth set for clams but no one had them. When I went to the store today, they had some so I got a few even though I had not planned anything to go with them.

Surf and Turf...eh? pirat ... Looks great!

118 Re: March 2017, What's cooking For Dinner? on Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:21 pm

NormM

The clam were very chewy.  Charlie ate only one. I ate the rest and was glad.

119 Re: March 2017, What's cooking For Dinner? on Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:06 am

bethk

Admin
Looks good, Norm. I think my younger daughter could use an Instant Pot. She works full time and is always asking me, at the last minute, how to cook something. I got an email from her yesterday afternoon, "How do I cook a Rump Roast?" I knew she was at work and I was afraid she wasn't asking about cooking it tomorrow or on the weekend........No, you cannot get home from work at 5:30 and expect to have a rump roast cooked for supper at 6:30....doesn't work that way.

I know she used the stove top pressure cooker I gave her, but I think it's gone now. She's really good at getting rid of things she doesn't use on a regular basis. Good thing except when she gets rid of something and then goes out and gets another just like it.

120 Re: March 2017, What's cooking For Dinner? on Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:40 am

Crybaby

Beth wrote:SOMEONE (and this is NOT with any sort of accusing tone in my voice) turned the valve when he took apart the faucet and the hot side was now the cold side and the cold side was now hot.

I was sort of glad you guys were talking about plumbing and fixing stuff, as I wanted to tell you what I did about two weeks ago, which has nothing to do with food.

I've always loved lamp light and really hate ceiling light, as I find the latter makes a room look "hard."  I particularly like three-way bulbs, so the light can be soft and pretty or really bright when you need a lot of light.  I've had two large three-way lamps on the bedside tables in our bedroom for about five years and I was getting tired of the 3-way bulbs burning out so quickly, as they're pretty pricey.  Also, over the years, the switches were getting bad and the bulbs were really burning out even quicker, which I figure was due to the sockets and the switches being old and faulty.

Soooo, I decided to replace them myself as I wanted to buy some LED bulbs, which are really expensive but are supposed to last forever and use a lot less electricity than the incandescent bulbs.  I figured in order to give the new bulbs a fighting chance, I really had to fix the lamps.  So I bought two three-way Philips LED bulbs (50/100/150) and two new three-way sockets online (and also found out I can make ANY lamp a three-way by simply switching the socket, which I had not realized when I passed on lamps I liked in the past but were not three-ways) and decided to try to replace the sockets myself.  The instructions on the back of the sockets were pretty clear but I wanted a few more pictures and a bit more instruction so I watched a couple of videos on YouTube.  That turned out to be a good move, as I could not get the top of the socket separated from the "cap" portion of the socket and had watched a guy have the same trouble online.  He used a screwdriver to pry them off gradually all the way around and the screwdriver also slipped and gouged his hand, so I learned NOT to have my free hand in the way!  

It took me a lot longer to do the first lamp than I expected because I didn't have a wire stripper so I did that part with some cuticle scissors, a tweezer and my teeth!  I also learned how to tie a UL knot.  When I finished the first one, I realized I'd forgotten to put the "cap" portion of the socket back on so I had to take it apart and start over.  All told, with that repeat, it took me about 2-1/2 hours to do both lamps but peeling the wire off without a wire stripper probably took me over an hour for both lamps!!!  

Well, I finished and the lamps worked perfectly!  You would've thought I put a man on the moon -- I was THAT pleased with myself, not only for doing it but for having the guts to try it.  The bulbs had a three-year warranty (for 3 hours of use a day) and by registering my bulbs online with Philips, I got a five-year warranty.  When Brian came upstairs that evening, he just about died.  Not only do the lamps work perfectly (his old switch would no longer turn at all so he would screw/unscrew the bulb to turn it on and off when it got dark!), but the LED bulbs are nice and bright (I got the warm soft white light and not the daylight ones as the latter ones in pictures online gave off a really, really harsh white light that looked like it belonged in a factory).  Unlike the curly fluorescent bulbs, they need no warm up time and are fully bright when you turn them on.  Love, love, love the bulbs and I am still so darn pleased with myself.  

Soooo, now I'm going to buy a wire stripper/crimper/cutter, and am going to replace the sockets in two of the lamps downstairs that I no longer trust to leave on when I'm not around, as Brian put bulbs in there that were too big (250 watts!) at one time.  Ever since then, I've been worried that they would short out and possibly cause a fire.  I also realize now that I can purchase a lamp I really like and simply change it to a three-way socket anytime I want!!!

This may not seem like much to you but for someone who is the antithesis of "handy," I feel soooo accomplished that I might try to do some other tasks by checking out videos on YouTube to see how it's done and see if I feel gutsy enough to try it.  Please hold your applause!!!

121 Re: March 2017, What's cooking For Dinner? on Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:59 am

NormM

Beth, the recipe I used said the roast would be done in 15 minutes on high but I used the setting already on the pot so it took 35 minutes. I didn't need it THAT fast.

Crybaby, they make switches that turn a metal lamp into a touch lamp.  You use a regular incandescent bulb, touch the lamp anywhere it is metal and it turns on low, medium and high then off when you touch it each time. My bedroom lights are like that and the switch just screws into the existing socket on the lamp.  I recently got a halogen lamp and the switch is variable so when you turn it on, the light is low and by continuing to turn it, it gets brighter. You may not like the light from a halogen table lamp though.

122 Re: March 2017, What's cooking For Dinner? on Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:07 pm

bethk

Admin
Yea! Michelle ~ good for you!

It's never too late to teach us old ladies new tricks! Congratulations on your new found confidence.

(I wish I had had youtube years ago ~ there are some really talented and patient people out there in the world.)

123 Re: March 2017, What's cooking For Dinner? on Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:58 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

Crybaby wrote:

This may not seem like much to you but for someone who is the antithesis of "handy," I feel soooo accomplished that I might try to do some other tasks by checking out videos on YouTube to see how it's done and see if I feel gutsy enough to try it.  Please hold your applause!!!

Idea Idea

Loved the lighting lesson. BTW....We have the same bulbs in the kitchen.

124 Re: March 2017, What's cooking For Dinner? on Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:10 pm

bethk

Admin
I made a pot of chili this morning ~ cool for us (in the 50's) so it was the perfect 'chili day'. Actually, I ended up with a pot and a half.....I can never stop when I'm in the middle of adding ingredients. It is really easier for me to brown the veg & season, then add the browned ground beef (I do that in my cast iron skillet and then it's easy to pour off the fat/liquid so it doesn't end up in my soup). By the time the canned tomatoes & beans were in the pot it was too full to add any spicy V-8 so that's when it got split and turned into 2 pots. I didn't think there was enough liquid and I ended up adding half a quart of Mr. & Mrs. T's Spicy Bloody Mary Mix ~ man, that stuff adds really great flavor!

So, after I gave him a small 'tasting' dish to get his opinion, Mr. Amazing decided chili is what's for lunch.

But I'm on to him.

I was planning to have the chili for supper but now that's a 'no-go' since he had it for lunch. So, I'm going to call in for an order of fried chicken from a local tavern that advertises to have 'The Best Fried Chicken in The Villages'.....we'll see. I do know it'll be better than MY fried chicken since I no longer make it! LOL

I've got a nice butternut squash on the counter so I'll bake that to go with our chicken. I think they have southern green beans as a side dish with the dinner so I'll just order two of those and then my supper is all done and I won't have to break a sweat!

125 Re: March 2017, What's cooking For Dinner? on Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:18 pm

bethk

Admin
Well, I'd order from the same place again. The chicken tasted 'pan fried' as opposed to deep fried. The coating was nicely seasoned, thin and crispy. All around, a good tasting meal.

And since today is 'Pi' Day the grocery stores have coupons for $3.14 off a bakery pie.....so I got a cherry pie. Surprisingly, Mr. Amazing ate his piece and decided that he might just have a piece tomorrow, too. I gave two big pieces to the neighbors just so I don't end up eating the rest by myself. Not too bad for a store-bought pie....not bad at all.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 5 of 11]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum