Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

March 2017, Whats for Breakfast. Lunch, and Brunch?

+2
Crybaby
bethk
6 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Crybaby

Crybaby

bethk wrote:ah, but the yolk soaking down in the hash.....it's like a thick hollandaise sauce for me!

But you can have yours any way you'd like.  I know, for Imelda, I'd make the yolk cooked completely or just leave it off altogether!  To each their own.....

Please serve mine just like yours, Beth!

Crybaby

Crybaby

We had fruit salad with poppy seed dressing this morning -- strawberries, pineapple, watermelon, cantaloupe, honeydew melon, and lots of blueberries (the latter is plentiful here right now so they're on sale big time).

Brian swears I never made dressing for fruit salad before but I think the only thing I did that makes him think he never had it was add the poppy seeds, which I recently purchased just for fruit salad dressing.

Here's what I cobbled together for dressing:

1/8 cup vegetable oil
3 Tablespoons honey
Pinch grated lemon rind
2 Tablespoons lemon juice
1-1/2 teaspoons poppy seeds
1 Tablespoon Champagne vinegar (or white wine vinegar)
1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1/4 teaspoon salt
Fresh mint leaves, for garnish

Shake all ingredients, except mint, in small jar. Taste, and adjust if necessary. Once dressing is to your taste, shake well again including a few mint leavesin the jar if you’re so inclined. Pour over fruit salad and sprinkle each serving bowl with additional mint prior to serving.

Brian made us each half of an English muffin, too; he had his with fig preserves but I just had butter. Jimmy, we finally tried Thomas's English Muffins 'cause the store was out of Bays. You were right -- they're much better. Lots of nooks and crannies!

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

Here is the breakfast I made for Dirk, he is going for a long hike, 12 to 16 miles, so I made him this, not a big portion though, only 1 egg too, but I packed some tortilla wraps ( with ham and cheese ) for his lunch.. He likes to go for a long hike, sometime he got home at 9 pm, hiked some hours in the dark on winter time, it worried me, because there was no signal for cell phone and sometimes he was alone in the middle of nowhere, but that's what he likes, so I try to support him,made him lunch and packed some granola bars as well as some candies, made sure he brought a lot of water, now it's getting hot, the day light is longer, but the heat worries me too..  oh well..

March 2017, Whats for Breakfast. Lunch, and Brunch? - Page 2 17309699_10212760776760644_5483156100874946114_n

bethk

bethk
Admin

Imelda ~ Dirk certainly will have plenty of energy for his long hike. The protein packed breakfast is the perfect thing to keep his body fueled for the day! I know we worry when they seem to take risks we're not comfortable with but it's against the law to tie them up and not allow them to leave the yard. He'll be fine.....

Michelle, your poppyseed dressing sounds great for a fruit salad. Sometimes I make something and Dane swears he's never had it before. That's when I go on a search of my Photobucket pics and show him that I have, indeed, made the exact same meal in the past. Then I suggest he have some green tea to get his memory cells fired up. LOL

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Amazing.... I am going on a hike today also. Actually, a mission!!
Had three eggs basted with bacon grease.... bacon, french toast, and coffee!
Now comes the hike. "CLICK"..... Bzzzzzzzzz ( TV ON ) Following with Anthony Bourdain watching his trip through the jungles of Tasmania. I'll pass on his showing how he eats grasshopper pudding with Chief Jiminy Cricket .... I'll just eat my 3 Hershey bars and be satisfied!!

Bugster2

Bugster2

My husband can be so eloquent. I have an old recipe for French toast from Cook's Illustrated that I really like. I found that the recipe for French toast in a CI cookbook was different from my old recipe, so I thought I would give it a try. It was a PITA and when I made the first piece, I told my husband that I don't think he is going to like it. I was right. One bite and he spat it out. He looked at me and said it was pus in the middle. Obviously too custardy for him and me. I tossed it all.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:My husband can be so eloquent. I have an old recipe for French toast from Cook's Illustrated that I really like. I found that the recipe for French toast in a CI cookbook was different from my old recipe, so I thought I would give it a try. It was a PITA and when I made the first piece, I told my husband that I don't think he is going to like it. I was right. One bite and he spat it out. He looked at me and said it was pus in the middle. Obviously too custardy for him and me. I tossed it all.

OMG...... I'm gagging just reading this.

My mom tried to get eggs into us, and she would scramble eggs for French toast, and fry the toast quickly on each side, and there would be brother, gagging from the raw uncooked egg that was in the bread, and the egg outside was like eating scrambled eggs on top of toast! And the pullet smell.....yuck!

I like French toast, eggs whipped good, then thinned out with Milk.
add sugar ( tbs. ) cinnamon, and vanilla.
dip fresh bread slice fast each side; not soaked. Then I add a pinch more of cinnamon as it is frying in a coating of oil and butter.

Last edited by UNCLE JIMMY on Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:17 pm; edited 1 time in total

Bugster2

Bugster2

I hear ya Jimmy!

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Just had Lunch. There was a Hungry Man Salisbury Steak dinner in the fridge tat Tina didn't eat yesterday, so I nuked it. Boy, that thing really hit the spot.

Now my eyes are getting heavy. Nap Time! ??? You Betcha!

cookingirl

cookingirl

https://www.fsis.usda.gov/wps/wcm/connect/7569a879-0416-4526-a011-80de8cf6dbbe/recall-030-2017-products.pdf?MOD=AJPERES

Recall on Chicken... mostly for schools but some tenders for Savalot and PriceValue....

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

cookingirl wrote:https://www.fsis.usda.gov/wps/wcm/connect/7569a879-0416-4526-a011-80de8cf6dbbe/recall-030-2017-products.pdf?MOD=AJPERES

Recall on Chicken... mostly for schools but some tenders for Savalot and PriceValue....

Thanks for the update on that chicken. We will pass the word to others!

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Brunch today, was a fried egg, bacon and yellow cheese, on a soft bagel toasted.
I savored every bite and morsel. Mommy T had farina.

bethk

bethk
Admin

I realized recently that I am OLD......

My usual breakfast (in the recent past) has been the same: A toasted Thomas English Muffin with butter and Orange Marmalade.

Who likes Orange Marmalade ~ ~ ~ OLD PEOPLE, that's who!

LOL

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:I realized recently that I am OLD......

My usual breakfast (in the recent past) has been the same:  A toasted Thomas English Muffin with butter and Orange Marmalade.

Who likes Orange Marmalade ~ ~ ~ OLD PEOPLE, that's who!

LOL

I'm right there in line with you Beth. I'm a English toasted, with Orange marmalade or Apricot preserves if I can't find the 5 year old jar in the fridge somewhere/ ???
It's hard to find Marmalade that is not so sweet though.
Smucker's is our favorite jams, but even that is too sweet!

bethk

bethk
Admin

Even if you make it, Jimmy, it's sweet. I think it's that science thing, the pectin and sugar work together to make it thick.

Sometimes those 'all fruit' spreads are not quite so sweet, if you like them.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Even if you make it, Jimmy, it's sweet.  I think it's that science thing, the pectin and sugar work together to make it thick.

Sometimes those 'all fruit' spreads are not quite so sweet, if you like them.

Exactly what Tina said. It's the sugar that thickens the jam.

The other day, about a month ago, Tina opened up a brand new jar, of seedless raspberry ( No Sugar Added ) All Fruit "Smuckers".
It was awful!.... She actually threw it in the garbage.

bethk

bethk
Admin

I'm not a fan, either.

Since I'm not diabetic it isn't that much of an issue to me.

I do remember making lots of 'freezer jam' and 'sealed-with-parafin' jam when I was younger. Strawberries, plums, apple jelly, raspberry ~ seedless & with seeds.....made 'em all. Of course, sugar was CHEAP then. You just had to clean the fruit and steralize the jars and you were in business.

I'm not that ambitious any more.

Bugster2

Bugster2

We eat marion blackberry jam.

Crybaby

Crybaby

Imelda HL wrote:Here is the breakfast I made for Dirk..

March 2017, Whats for Breakfast. Lunch, and Brunch? - Page 2 17309699_10212760776760644_5483156100874946114_n

Mmmmmm, Imelda. Your food always slays me. I'd kill for this breakfast but would beg for another egg! Looks absolutely delicious!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum