Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER

+4
NormM
Niagara Visitor
Crybaby
UNCLE JIMMY
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

Go down  Message [Page 12 of 15]

276"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 12 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:35 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Beth....looks good. Dixie Dust???.... What the heck is that?

Debbie.... I love cheese. Sounds good.

277"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 12 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:50 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

I called it a Sorry Supper...
I suggested a Shepherds Pie. Tina likes making that, so she jumped at the chance.

The only difference this time, was she used those Steam and Fresh mixed veggies.
They were so sweet, it was as if someone put Sugar in the bag.
I started eating the pie, and I looked at Tina. I didn't have to say a thing. She said,"Sweet Huh?"....I said,"You added something like sugar?" .....She said, "Nope!"
It's the steam & fresh veggies.

I cannot believe she said for me to throw it to the animals outside.

278"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 12 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:14 pm

NormM

NormM

Jimmy, I think Dixie Dust could be a lot of different things but to me it is a BBQ rub designed mainly for chicken.

Dixie Dust
2 tbsp Ranch Season Mix
1 tbsp Iodized Salt
2 tbsp Paprika
1 tbsp Black Pepper
1 tbsp Onion Powder
1 tbsp Sugar
1 tbsp Granulated Garlic
1/2 tbsp Cumin
1 tbsp Chili Powder
1 tbsp Celery Seed

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

279"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 12 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:28 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:Jimmy, I think Dixie Dust could be a lot of different things but to me it is a BBQ rub designed mainly for chicken.

Dixie Dust
2 tbsp Ranch Season Mix
1 tbsp Iodized Salt
2 tbsp Paprika
1 tbsp Black Pepper
1 tbsp Onion Powder
1 tbsp Sugar
1 tbsp Granulated Garlic
1/2 tbsp Cumin
1 tbsp Chili Powder
1 tbsp Celery Seed

Thank you Norm.

My mom made a kind of chicken, that me and my brother labled as "Sticky Chicken!"
It was literally that, which was one of my turn offs for chicken.
She took chicken thighs, coated with oil, and then dredged in flour.
placed in a baking pan, then spiced with salt, pepper, paprika, oregano, and garlic powder.

She baked it at 350F till it was just light brown. It was horrible to eat, because it stuck to the lips and fingers like library paste.

I could never figure why she made something like that. Maybe it was a 60's recipe? There was a lot of crying and fussing going on as we ate it.
We asked, "Next time, can we have our chicken without sticky stuff?"

Her answer was..." We'll see, after I think about it!"
She made it for her and dad, and mine and brothers separate, without the flour.

280"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 12 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:58 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Gee, Norm, I like YOUR Dixie Dust, too!

Mine is a spice blend sold by Miz Kathie's Cotillion Restaurant, just about the only thing she doesn't have a recipe for in her cookbook (which I just had to purchase even though I swore I would NEVER spend $$ on another cookbook!).

It has Paprika, Salt, Sugar, Chili Powder, Cumin, Garlic, Mustard Powder, Black Pepper, White Pepper and Cayenne.

It seems to give just a right sort of taste to things like sweet corn, greens, actually just about any vegetable or potato dish.....it has a tiny bit of heat but it's mainly just a whole lot of flavor in a tiny shaker bottle.

281"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 12 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:04 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:I called it a Sorry Supper...
I suggested a Shepherds Pie. Tina likes making that, so she jumped at the chance.

The only difference this time, was she used those Steam and Fresh mixed veggies.
They were so sweet, it was as if someone put Sugar in the bag.
I started eating the pie, and I looked at Tina. I didn't have to say a thing. She said,"Sweet Huh?"....I said,"You added something like sugar?" .....She said, "Nope!"
It's the steam & fresh veggies.

I cannot believe she said for me to throw it to the animals outside.

I've noticed a difference in the taste in those Steam & Fresh vegetables, too, Jimmy. Now I search out just PLAIN frozen vegetables at places like Aldi and WalMart where there seems to be a larger selection of non-additive frozen stuff.

But it's the same as in the meat department....how many times do you go and see 10 different marinaded pork tenderloins and have trouble finding a package of plain pork? I don't like the marinades used....if I want to marinate my meats I prefer to make it myself. Same with chicken. I never buy their marinated chicken ~ personally, I think that's what they use the old chicken for that they want to sell. Probably not, but I prefer not taking chances.

282"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 12 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:12 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

I know this is NOT the place to post this 'off subject' item but I thought it would be seen by most everyone because this is the thread we all read on a regular basis.

I was talking to a friend of mine at my exercise class and we were discussing computer problems. He seems to be fairly knowledgeable on the subject. He suggested I download a free program to each of my browsers (I use Chrome and Firefox) to help block the unwanted ads from popping up. It's been a week and it seems to be working well ~ no more surprises to tie up my computer.

I did a search for "adblocker-plus" and chose the one for the browser I was using (adblocker-plus for Chrome). The download only took seconds. Then I closed out of Chrome and went into Firefox and did the same thing.

I don't know if it blocks every ad....but so many of those irritating pop-ups have stopped. If you are having problems you might want to give this a try.

283"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 12 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:47 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

Thanks Beth for the ad-blocker tip. I hate those things! it takes you a half hour just to get where you want 'cause you have to close out the ads. The ads I hate most are those talking videos that come out of nowhere and are impossible to find to shut them off.

As for pre-marinated meat. that is a place I don't want to go. I remember reading that stores marinate "old" meat that is just on the verge of turning to cover up any funky taste or odor. True or not, I'll pass.

284"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 12 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:30 pm

NormM

NormM

Honeygator would be apoplectic if she could read this. It is chili made with pulled pork, beans and cheesy cornbread dumplings.

"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 12 DSCN3805_zpsubydjdeq

285"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 12 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:05 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:Thanks Beth for the ad-blocker tip. I hate those things! it takes you a half hour just to get where you want 'cause you have to close out the ads. The ads I hate most are those talking videos that come out of nowhere and are impossible to find to shut them off.

As for  pre-marinated meat. that is a place I don't want to go. I remember reading that stores marinate "old" meat that is just on the verge of turning to cover up any funky taste or odor. True or not, I'll pass.

They did do that a few years back. The manager ( butcher ) in the stores would tell Tina, to pull the chicken, that was on the day of trashing, and brine it really good with a little sanitizer liquid added to the brine water.

They don't do it any more. Too many law suits. No

286"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 12 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:13 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Tina made a zucchini ratatouille with peppers and onions.
Another L00K at each other while we said Yuck!
It was so sweet. The recipe called for Honey.
She said all she did was follow the recipe. I said, I would have never used honey to sweeten a savory recipe. She agreed.

287"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 12 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:40 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

After that storm yesterday Katie and Joe are at the beach. I played around in the kitchen and made a 1/4 recipe of a ham, cheese, egg pie. Sort of like a crustless quiche. Not bad. Then I made these strange cookies that just melt in your mouth. They have cake flour, cornstarch, butter, vanilla and ground up Rice Krispies. Joe and Katie came home and gobbled up cold leftover chicken parmesan. Then Joe hit my egg pie and Katie ate my cookies.
Tomorrow Katie and Joe are driving to Pasadena to see Katie's niece who is in the hospital with a blood infection. The doctors are still running tests to see where it is coming from. She says she feels good. After the hospital it on to Pie n' Burger for burgers and pie. They are going to bring home a piece of butterscotch meringue pie for me. YUM!

Beth, I installed the ad-blocker and I can tell you that it has made an enormous difference on the Food Network page. It used to take forever to navigate because of all the ads. I would avoid it unless it was necessary. Thanks again for the tip.

288"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 12 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:32 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:Honeygator would be apoplectic if she could read this. It is chili made with pulled pork, beans and cheesy cornbread dumplings.

"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 12 DSCN3805_zpsubydjdeq

Porky chili looks and sounds good Norm. We made a pulled pork for the first time in the slow cooker. It was good, but way too sweet!.... Tina, God love her, used Great Value BBQ Sauce. That's Walmart Brand.

Some of their brand foods are good. I love their Great Value Pancake syrup.
It's not super sweet. The canned tomatoes and sauce and paste are very good. At least the previous batches we got, were not bitter. Nice and thick too!

289"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 12 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:37 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Bugster2 wrote:

Beth, I installed the ad-blocker and I can tell you that it has made an enormous difference on the Food Network page. It used to take forever to navigate because of all the ads. I would avoid it unless it was necessary. Thanks again for the tip.

I'm so glad it worked for you, Debbie! I often hesitate to mention stuff like that because I don't know much about computers and how they work. (That's why I've paid my 'computer guy' hundred$ in the last few years to get my PC back in working order.) But this 'fix' seemed to work so well for me that I just felt I should pass on the info.

290"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 12 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:44 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

NormM wrote:Honeygator would be apoplectic if she could read this. It is chili made with pulled pork, beans and cheesy cornbread dumplings.

Yup ~ I can 'hear' a 7-page 'scolding' of how you DON'T know anything about making chili! Hahahahahaha!

For cryin' out loud ~ Pulled Pork, Cornbread Dumplings AND Kidney Beans !!! You need to go back to Texas/Oklahoma cooking school.

(you need to go into your profile and re-add your blogspot address so others can easily flip to your blog to see the recipe)

291"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 12 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:50 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Tina made a zucchini ratatouille with peppers and onions.
She said all she did was follow the recipe. I said, I would have never used honey to sweeten a savory recipe. She agreed.  

Jimmy - so sorry your ratatouille didn't taste 'right'....That's a lot of work to end up with something you don't want to eat.

I use honey in a lot of savory dishes. My very favorite beef marinate includes it to counter the salty soy sauce, the tart red wine and the spice of the chili.

Often if I'm using a lot of hot chilis or, say, my REALLY spicy Sambal Oleck (garlic chili paste) I will use honey to counteract the heat of the chili and yet leave the flavor. But it's a balancing act that takes some practice.

The idea is to have one balance out the other without leaving the obvious taste of either 'burn your mouth' heat or sweetness of honey.

292"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 12 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:02 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:
UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Tina made a zucchini ratatouille with peppers and onions.

Jimmy - so sorry your ratatouille didn't taste 'right'....That's a lot of work to end up with something you don't want to eat.

I use honey in a lot of savory dishes.  My very favorite beef marinate includes it to counter the salty soy sauce, the tart red wine and the spice of the chili.

Often if I'm using a lot of hot chilis or, say, my REALLY spicy Sambal Oleck (garlic chili paste) I will use honey to counteract the heat of the chili and yet leave the flavor.  But it's a balancing act that takes some practice.

The idea is to have one balance out the other without leaving the obvious taste of either 'burn your mouth' heat or sweetness of honey.

It was over kill with the honey. 3 Tbsp. for 3 small zucchini, and 2 peppers.
No spice ( hot ) either.

293"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 12 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:49 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

That is the same thing with a broccoli salad. All of them have these large quantities of sugar in the dressing. BLECH! I always have to eliminate most of the sugar.

294"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 12 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:48 pm

NormM

NormM

bethk wrote:

Yup ~ I can 'hear' a 7-page 'scolding' of how you DON'T know anything about making chili!   Hahahahahaha!

For cryin' out loud ~ Pulled Pork, Cornbread Dumplings AND Kidney Beans !!!  You need to go back to Texas/Oklahoma cooking school.

(you need to go into your profile and re-add your blogspot address so others can easily flip to your blog to see the recipe)

If I could figure out how to do it, I'd put it at the bottom of the post, like you have your quote

295"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 12 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:36 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

NormM wrote:

If I could figure out how to do it, I'd put it at the bottom of the post, like you have your quote [/quote]

Norm, go to your profile and enter your blog spot address under 'signature'....

296"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 12 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:01 pm

NormM

NormM

I tried that three times and nothing happened until the now. It's there now.

297"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 12 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:56 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

I must have the 'magic touch' that I can share with you! Glad it's back! LOL

298"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 12 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:00 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Chicken thighs were on sale with a BOGO sale....I froze most (individually wrapped for my convenience) but left 3 in the refrigerator for last night's supper.

Pan fried thighs, baked acorn squash and succotash.

Not pictured was the plate of two pieces of German Chocolate Cake with Coconut Frosting our neighbor brought over. Even though supper was filling we both were able to 'force down' a piece of cake!

"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 12 IMG_20161026_173152913

299"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 12 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:19 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

I was reading an article about vinegars. I didn't know this but many are made with a petroleum product as a starter. EEWWW! The bottle of vinegar must say made with grain and not ethyl-something. A vinegar made with grain is Heinz apple cider vinegar. A vinegar made with the petroleum product is most likely the grocery store brand. Also, not all vinegars are the same in taste. Some are better than others. I went to the kitchen to check my vinegars and started laughing because I have so many: malt, 2 apple cider brands, red and white wine, raspberry, champagne, pear, sherry, two different rice vinegars, distilled white, cabernet, balsamic.

300"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 12 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:14 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

It is amazing how many different kinds of vinegars one has in their pantry. Although I don't have as many as you, I do have quite a few. I'm surprised you didn't list rice wine vinegar and seasoned rice wine vinegar as well as white balsamic.

Better put them on your grocery list!

LOL

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 12 of 15]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum