Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER

+4
NormM
Niagara Visitor
Crybaby
UNCLE JIMMY
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

Go down  Message [Page 11 of 15]

251"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 11 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:02 am

Niagara Visitor

Company coming for dinner tonight, hubby's best friend and wife, and hubby's uncle. By request from all of them, it's pork hocks and sauerkraut. Plain boiled potatoes, and I think I will just get some ice cream for dessert.

My sister and I found a local market which has just about any kind of meat you might want, including things like goat. The hocks must have been on the biggest pigs in the world. They will take a long time cooking. I also put in a smoked turkey leg for a bit of extra flavour.

When I invited Peter (friend) and his wife, I asked them would they prefer a seafood dinner, which I know they love also, or the hocks???? "Now Lore, that's a silly question, I can get seafood in any restaurant, but not pork hocks!" Was his answer.

252"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 11 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:39 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

Poor Tina! I get leg, feet, toe, calf cramps in the middle of the night too. The best thing I have found is to get up and stretch that area that is cramped to un-cramp it. Hurts like hell but it works.

253"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 11 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:10 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Niagara Visitor wrote:
When I invited Peter (friend) and his wife, I asked them would they prefer a seafood dinner, which I know they love also, or the hocks???? "Now Lore, that's a silly question, I can get seafood in any restaurant, but not pork hocks!" Was his answer.

And hocks, cooked CORRECTLY, with lots of flavor are a thing of beauty in your mouth! Enjoy.

254"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 11 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Sat Oct 22, 2016 2:04 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:Poor Tina! I get leg, feet, toe, calf cramps in the middle of the night too. The best thing I have found is to get up and stretch that area that is cramped to un-cramp it. Hurts like hell but it works.

The only thing that works, is that Amish liquid. I give her a cap full in some orange juice, and it stops all cramps in less than a minute.
I think it is just apple cider vinegar, with garlic juice.

255"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 11 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Sat Oct 22, 2016 4:03 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

It may stop the cramps in a minute ~~ but I'll bet when they hit in the middle of the night it's the longest minute in history!

Hope it stops soon.

256"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 11 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Sat Oct 22, 2016 4:45 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I had a package of beef stew meat in the freezer that I had intended to use for a pot of beef & noodles....slowly simmered beef with homemade noodles (served over mashed potatoes). But I knew my Mr. Carb Counter would be unhappy with me....

So, I've had the beef simmering for a couple hours so it's 'fall apart' tender. I'll add a bunch of vegetables and lightly thicken with a flour slurry (because I WANT to). I'm going to serve it over a small amount of store bought egg noodles. He can practice 'portion control' to cut back on his carbs.

We'll see how this goes over......

257"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 11 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:11 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

The stew on egg noodles was 'acceptable'.....good decision on HIS part! LOL

It really was a 'lighter' version than my normal beef stew ~ heavy on veg and no white potatoes at all. The gravy was much lighter than I would normally make. I ended up taking a quart out of the pot before thickening and adding the peas so I could let it cool and then stick it in the freezer for another time. It's so difficult to make something like a stew that is only enough for a couple servings and maybe a lunch serving leftover. So, my freezer is my favorite kitchen appliance these days.

"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 11 IMG_20161022_164058422

258"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 11 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:43 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:The stew on egg noodles was 'acceptable'.....good decision on HIS part!  LOL

It really was a 'lighter' version than my normal beef stew ~ heavy on veg and no white potatoes at all.  The gravy was much lighter than I would normally make.  I ended up taking a quart out of the pot before thickening and adding the peas so I could let it cool and then stick it in the freezer for another time.  It's so difficult to make something like a stew that is only enough for a couple servings and maybe a lunch serving leftover.  So, my freezer is my favorite kitchen appliance these days.

"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 11 IMG_20161022_164058422

Wonderful looking! I was wondering how that would be with rice; or even brown rice?

259"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 11 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Sun Oct 23, 2016 12:52 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Tonight's supper was spaghetti and meatballs with sausage and beef cubes and pork ribs in the sauce.
I was confused thinking we were having my birthday party tonight with the kids. I missed the cue. It was Sunday, we are having the Pizza Party. DD Maria is making my requested white cake with chocolate icing.
Got a case of Yuengling Light beer brewed in Pottsville, PA brewery. Another part of my wish. LOL

"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 11 863604796 "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 11 2825942945

260"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 11 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Sun Oct 23, 2016 6:38 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

OMG....I've been watching the 'one member is having a birthday in the next 7 days' message for a week.....

AND THEN I MISS IT!

So, belated but still with the best and warmest wishes for a Happy Birthday, Jimmy!

261"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 11 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:17 am

cookingirl

cookingirl

JIMMY, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 11 863604796 "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 11 2599281016

262"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 11 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:24 am

Crybaby

Crybaby

Beth, your beef stew looks delicious.

263"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 11 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:37 am

Crybaby

Crybaby

Happy Birthday, Jimmy! It's nice having a birthday and having two women telling you that you look great and look like you've lost weight! Not a bad way to celebrate a birthday!

We had beautiful weather Friday, Saturday and are enjoying it again today, too -- our mildest so far with cool nights and low humidity! Spent a lot of time sitting on the deck on Friday afternoon and yesterday morning. Grass is cut, flowers are blooming, and the herbs are looking great. I had a nice bottle of Cakebread Sauvignon Blanc to enjoy, the second of two bottles a girlfriend gave me along with a gorgeous vase of flowers -- white hydrangeas and white Casablanca lilies -- for my birthday last month! It was so pretty outside (we have two really comfortable chairs on the deck under the shade of the blood orange tree) that I think the wine tasted even better. Brian enjoyed his Coors Lite with me.

Yesterday morning we had big cups of steaming coffee and chicory with our everything bagels slathered with cream cheese with that freshly ground Citrus A'Peel on top. Yummy!!! We're already on our second bottle of that stuff and are both addicted to it on our bagels and cream cheese in the morning!!!

264"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 11 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Sun Oct 23, 2016 11:24 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

Gosh! I missed Jimmy's b-day too! Happy birthday Jimmy!

265"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 11 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Sun Oct 23, 2016 1:27 pm

NormM

NormM

Happy Birthday Jimmy.

This weekend was my 50th year reunion at Ottawa University and I have been down there Friday and Sat. I had three meals down there and am looking forward to some home cooking now.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

266"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 11 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Sun Oct 23, 2016 2:35 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Thank you all for the birthday wishes!

267"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 11 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:03 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I went over to Lyn's to help her get all gussied up for a bit Rotary event she and Bill are presiding over tonight. They looked lovely, both of them.....her in a beautiful sequined gown and he in a tux. We had to take pics so we had proof they clean up good! LOL

I got home a little after 5:00 and threw together a quick supper of sauteed chicken breast cutlets (it was a HUGE breast so it was thick even though I cut it through the middle), sweet potato oven fries and reheated beans/corn from the other night.

"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 11 IMG_20161023_174411166_HDR

268"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 11 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:13 pm

NormM

NormM

Dinner today was a beef pie with onions, spinach, cheeses and topped with phyllo dough and rolls made with sourdough starter, white whole wheat bread and a couple grated apples.

"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 11 DSCN3800_zpshawduxqn

269"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 11 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:07 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:Dinner today was a beef pie with onions, spinach, cheeses and topped with phyllo dough and rolls made with sourdough starter, white whole wheat bread and a couple grated apples.

"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 11 DSCN3800_zpshawduxqn

Everything looks delicious, but those rolls look really great.
What kind / cut of beef did you use, and was it tender??

270"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 11 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:09 pm

NormM

NormM

The recipe uesd grams and said minced beef. I used hamburger @ 20% fat.

271"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 11 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:13 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

We had the pizza and beer. DD made a cake with pure egg whites; no yolks, then ived with chocolate icing and Hershey's added syrup to the icing. Wow! It was so good!

272"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 11 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:19 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:The recipe uesd grams and said minced beef. I used hamburger @ 20% fat.

Oh Good! .... Sounds tasty and easy to chew.
That reminds me. I am wishing for a shepherds pie soon!

273"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 11 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:47 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

We had an actress friend of Katie's come for a visit. She brought a bottle of Veuve Clicquot which was opened immediately and drunk. I even had a sip and thought it was excellent for champagne. A brut with no sweetness. I can't stand sweet champagne. Joe cooked and made salmon on the grill.
Last night it was eggs benedict and a box of Krispy Kreme donuts. I wish there was some way to prevent the glaze from getting runny. I don't like "wet" donuts.
We all got blown out of bed at 4AM by a rare thunderstorm. The cats went scattering and hid under the bed.
I don't have a good knife for slicing turkey or roasts. I have been looking at Rada knives. I own several. They are about as cheap as a knife could possibly cost and sharp as hell. Made in USA. The handles can be a bit uncomfortable if you have large hands but for a tiny old lady like me, they are fine. Some people complain about them being cheap but- DUH- they are! Sharp as hell though. What these complainers want is a $90 knife for $10. Ain't gonna happen. What I can't decide on is a 7" blade slicer or a 10" blade ham slicer. If you are looking for a dirt cheap knife that cuts like a razor I recommend this brand. Most of the knives are around $10 and come with two different kinds of handles.

274"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 11 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:14 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Dane went to the store with me today.....it was BOGO meat day. I picked up a bunch of pork and two huge packages of chicken thighs. I should have broken them down this afternoon but decided to take a nap instead! LOL Tomorrow will be fine. When we went to Publix for some of their bakery rye bread I did a walk-through of their meat department. Their prices are usually too high for me but they did have cubed steak on special....got a little over 3/4 lb. (2 pieces) for around $4. I wasn't going to purchase it because I use it to make Chicken Fried Steak.....but when I told Dane about it he said he would eat it ~ even with the mashed potatoes and gravy that are a 'must-have' with the meal.

Publix also had some beautiful rappini (broccoli rabe) on sale so I got that for just ME. He doesn't like it so that was fine with me. I knew I had a large package of spinach in the refrigerator so I could fix that for him.

I also had 3 small ears of sweet corn that I wanted to use up ~ I cut it off the cob and just heated it to set the kernels, added some butter and Dixie Dust seasoning and it was perfectly seasoned.

"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 11 IMG_20161024_173220239

275"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 11 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:57 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Made some pasta today so we are going to have chicken parmesan. The recipe uses mozzarella and fontina and I didn't have fontina nor was I inclined to Trader Joe's to buy some so I am substituting provolone for the fontina.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 11 of 15]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum