Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER

+4
NormM
Niagara Visitor
Crybaby
UNCLE JIMMY
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

Go down  Message [Page 13 of 15]

301"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 13 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:37 pm

NormM

NormM

I have a couple of vinegars not mentioned yet. One is flavored with mango and the other with figs.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

302"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 13 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:04 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

I did list the rice vinegars. I did have white balsamic at one time but I tossed it for some reason.

303"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 13 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:00 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:It is amazing how many different kinds of vinegars one has in their pantry.  Although I don't have as many as you, I do have quite a few.  I'm surprised you didn't list rice wine vinegar and seasoned rice wine vinegar as well as white balsamic.

Better put them on your grocery list!

LOL

Growing up, the only vinegar was White, and Wine sometimes. We never heard of Balsamic Vinegar until Emeril Lagasse started his cooking show on the TV.  

Italian salad dressing, mom made by adding oil and vinegar with a little oregano, and would always say to whomever,"Now shake it good before you put it on your salad!"

304"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 13 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:43 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

So many things have changed since we were kids.

305"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 13 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:54 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

And who didn't (or doesn't) have one of those Seven Seas cruets in their cupboard with the line listed for oil and vinegar?

Shake ~ Shake ~ Shake !

306"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 13 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:54 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:So many things have changed since we were kids.

Yes! Very many things!

Like for instance, cereal. There were virtually 1/10th the types of breakfast cereal as there are today.

For us, it was corm flakes; wheaties; shredded wheat; raisin bran, sugar pops, or the dreaded puffed wheat or puffed rice. Once they ( puffed rice ) got wet, they turned into something that gagged us trying to swallow it. "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 13 411572088

Then I remember when they came out with the candy sugar colorful cereals. My kids wouldn't eat cereal, unless it was sugar coated, and or with those Gawd Awful marshmallows bits...

307"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 13 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:02 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:
Bugster2 wrote:So many things have changed since we were kids.

Yes! Very many things!

Like for instance, cereal. There were virtually 1/10th the types of breakfast cereal as there are today.

For us, it was corm flakes; wheaties; shredded wheat; raisin bran, sugar pops, or the dreaded puffed wheat or puffed rice. Once they ( puffed rice ) got wet, they turned into something that gagged us trying to swallow it. "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 13 411572088

Then I remember when they came out with the candy sugar colorful cereals. My kids wouldn't eat cereal, unless it was sugar coated, and or with those Gawd Awful marshmallows bits...

I liked those marshmallow bits!LOL! What I didn't like were Coco Puffs, Corn Pops, Tricks. They always tore up the roof of my mouth. Hated anything with raisins or fruit in it.

308"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 13 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:03 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:And who didn't (or doesn't) have one of those Seven Seas cruets in their cupboard with the line listed for oil and vinegar?

Shake ~ Shake ~ Shake !

That was all well, and fine, until the top was lost or cracked.
When that happened, mom fashioned a big cork, and we used that, covered with Tin Foil.

309"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 13 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:13 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Jimmy, we got the adjustable glasses today. What they don't tell you until it is too late that they won't work for people with astigmatism. Didn't work for Katie because she has the astig. but they worked great for Joe so we are keeping them.

310"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 13 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:17 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:Jimmy, we got the adjustable glasses today. What they don't tell you until it is too late that they won't work for people with astigmatism. Didn't work for Katie because she has the astig. but they worked great for Joe so we are keeping them.

Great. Thanks for the update. Tina and I just got into a discussion with her having a Hissy Fit because I didn't get glasses for reading.
I get a free lens and frames from Medicare because it was post cataract surgery, but ONLY ONE Pair free. I used that for spectacles to sharpen up my vision because although the eye's see better, they are not perfect.
No way will I pay for the second set, if I can go to Walmart and pick out a pair or two reading glasses for like 30 bucks.

311"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 13 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:06 am

Crybaby

Crybaby

We, too, had chicken thighs in the freezer (packed in twos) from a huge sale. Brian cut a couple of HUGE bone-in breasts in half and defrosted some chicken thighs and made some delicious Chicken Fricassee, which we had with Basmati Rice and Butter Beans with bacon, onions and garlic.

For dessert, he made me a huge warm brownie with my favorite Creole Cream Cheese Ice Cream on top. I spooned some fig preserves on top of the ice cream to make it even more decadent!

312"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 13 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:14 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Crybaby wrote:Butter Beans with bacon, onions and garlic.

Ah, yes, our beloved Lima Beans ! I always thought Butter Beans were something different than my Fordhook Lima Beans. OK, so maybe they are / can be a different variety. But they are all about the same thing ~ same taste, same texture, different only by what you add to them.

Love 'em!

313"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 13 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:47 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

I am posting this here so everyone will see it. I got one of those loud Trojans that says your computer is infected yada, yada, yada. My tech people said to press the buttons control+alt+delete to open the task manager. When it opens click "end task". That should make it go away.

314"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 13 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:04 am

NormM

NormM

When I was trying to figure out how to post my blog at the bottom of the post, I got two warnings that my virus detector had blocked attempts to attack my computer.

315"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 13 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:30 am

cookingirl

cookingirl

Yes, I have been saying all along that there is a virus/trojan on this website.

I got a current one a couple weeks ago. It was a warning which said, "your computer has been infected, please call Apple at this number 888888888"..

I managed to get out of that box, and googled that number. It is a fake. I also called Apple...

I did get a couple of fishing e-mails sent to me. One was supposed to have been sent from Comcast. They really did look fake. One of them was from a bank which I had never heard of. I googled it and found out they have a division of it in Nigeria!!

The one from Comcast was last week. I contacted Comcast. It was 100% fraudulent. I sent them fraud tech the email and the pathway. He checked it out, stating that my e-mail address was not hacked, it was someone else's. He was going to contact that person and let them know what was going on.. Funny thing, I had changed my password a few days prior to getting the e-mails.

I keep feeling that someone has hacked into this website, and is playing games with all of us...

316"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 13 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:31 am

cookingirl

cookingirl

NormM wrote:When I was trying to figure out how to post my blog at the bottom of the post, I got two warnings that my virus detector had blocked attempts to attack my computer.

Norm, which virus protection are you using? I have a Mac, I know you do also...

Thanks

317"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 13 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:38 am

NormM

NormM

I have Avast Mac Security. I also have an extra hard drive connected to Time Machine.  Time Machine backs up my computer several times a day and keeps the back ups for a few months.

318"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 13 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:36 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Has anyone ever cooked a sirloin tip roast? How was it?

319"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 13 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Fri Oct 28, 2016 2:02 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

bethk wrote:
Crybaby wrote:Butter Beans with bacon, onions and garlic.

Ah, yes, our beloved Lima Beans !  I always thought Butter Beans were something different than my Fordhook Lima Beans.  OK, so maybe they are / can be a different variety.  But they are all about the same thing ~ same taste, same texture, different only by what you add to them.

Love 'em!

We love 'em, too, Beth.  Brian, who is not much of a bean man in the big scheme of things, had them served to him over rice when he first came to N.O. about 40 years ago.  He was with a couple of guys and they stopped at one of their moms' houses in the early afternoon and she insisted on serving them some of the beans she was cooking.  Brian felt obliged to eat what he was served and didn't even know what to expect when they told him "butter beans."  Needless to say, he loved them.  

You make them with sausage, too, don't you, Beth?  They're really good with some hot smoked sausage...

Last edited by Crybaby on Fri Oct 28, 2016 2:13 pm; edited 1 time in total

320"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 13 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Fri Oct 28, 2016 2:13 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Bugster2 wrote:Has anyone ever cooked a sirloin tip roast? How was it?

It's a nice cut of meat that needs to be roasted instead of being braised. We've browned it on the stove and stuck it in the oven in the same pan to cook on a rack, over onions, garlic, carrots and potatoes. I use the Thermapen to keep track of the temp so we don't overcook it.

We've also browned it at a higher temp in the oven and then reduced the temp to roast it completely in the oven.

And we've also browned it on the Weber grill and cooked it using indirect heat in the Weber.

It's a nice piece of meat and slices thin easily. We tend to prefer pot roasts but as long as the sirloin tip is cooked properly and not overcooked, it's good. It's a nice cut of meat to serve au jus in my opinion, too.

321"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 13 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Fri Oct 28, 2016 2:30 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:I have Avast Mac Security. I also have an extra hard drive connected to Time Machine.  Time Machine backs up my computer several times a day and keeps the back ups for a few months.

Avast is good Norm!.... I have iolo System Shield. Never had a problem with this site.

322"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 13 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Fri Oct 28, 2016 2:31 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Thanks! I have never had one and a local store has them on sale: choice for $3.99/lb. I don't know if that is good or not but it appears to be a good price.

323"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 13 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Fri Oct 28, 2016 2:45 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

I saw this in this month's Bon Appetit and thought it looked so pretty that some of you squash lovers might like to see it or even try it.  

"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 13 Squash_zpscx83bydy

Hasselback Butternut Squash with Bay Leaves
Makes 8 servings.  Recipe from Bon Appetit, November 2016.

For this holiday-worthy recipe, roasting the butternut with several bay leaves slipped between the slices results in a subtle aromatic backdrop for the chilé glaze.

1 large butternut squash OR 2–3 small honeynut squash (about 3 pounds
total)
1 Tablespoon olive oil
Kosher salt, freshly ground pepper
1 Fresno chilé, thinly sliced
1/4 cup pure maple syrup, preferably grade B
3 Tablespoons unsalted butter
2 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar
6 to 8 dried bay leaves

Place a rack in upper third of oven; preheat to 425°F. Halve squash lengthwise and scoop out seeds with a large spoon. Using a peeler, remove skin and white flesh below (you should reach the deep orange flesh). Rub all over with oil; season with salt and pepper. Roast in a baking dish just large enough to hold halves side by side until beginning to soften (a paring knife should easily slip in only about 1/4 inch), 15–18 minutes.
         Meanwhile, bring chilé, maple syrup, butter, and vinegar to a simmer in a small saucepan over medium-high, stirring occasionally and removing chilé as soon as desired heat level is reached (set aside for serving), until just thick enough to coat spoon, 6 to 8 minutes. Reduce heat to very low and keep glaze warm.
         Transfer squash to a cutting board and let cool slightly. Using a sharp knife, score rounded sides of squash halves crosswise, going as deep as possible but without cutting all the way through. Return squash to baking dish, scored sides up, and tuck bay leaves between a few of the slices; season with salt and pepper.
Roast squash, basting with glaze every 10 minutes or so and using pastry brush to lift off any glaze in dish that is browning too much, until tender and glaze forms a rich brown coating, 45–60 minutes. Serve topped with reserved chilés.

Do Ahead: Squash can be roasted 4 hours ahead. Let cool until just warm; cover and store at room temperature. Reheat before serving.

324"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 13 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Fri Oct 28, 2016 2:56 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

That butternut squash is lovely.....I just don't think I would be able to make all the cuts without taking 4 or 5 - 30 minute breaks to rest! LOL

I have a hard time justifying spending that much time to make something 'pretty' when Mr. Amazing just wants to eat. Hahahahaha

325"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 13 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Fri Oct 28, 2016 4:21 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

bethk wrote:That butternut squash is lovely.....I just don't think I would be able to make all the cuts without taking 4 or 5 - 30 minute breaks to rest!  LOL

I have a hard time justifying spending that much time to make something 'pretty' when Mr. Amazing just wants to eat.  Hahahahaha

You're the one I figured would make it, too!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 13 of 15]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum