Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

September 2016, Whats for Dinner??

+5
bethk
Crybaby
Imelda HL
cookingirl
1DomesticGoddess
9 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 11 ... 16  Next

Go down  Message [Page 6 of 16]

126September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 6 Empty Re: September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:29 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Sounds great, Crybaby.....only thing I'd change is I do NOT discard the wingtips. Those are the best part, especially on a charcoal fire. Man, when the very end gets black and turns to 'air'....OMG, the best bite to be had!

The only thing I do for sure is trim off the 'toe nail' up higher on the wingtip. Don't like toe nails.....

LOL

127September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 6 Empty Re: September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Sat Sep 10, 2016 12:21 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Crybaby wrote:
Bugster2 wrote:This convenience store - it makes the sandwiches for you? Not pre-made I hope. Like gas station sushi, I wouldn't touch the pre-maid with a 10-foot pole.

Nope, they make them right there while you wait.  You can watch the entire process.  We've been going there for 18 years now and they're as clean as clean can be.  And delicious, too.  

When Tina and I went to New Orleans for MY 50th birthday, we went to a sandwich shoppe and brother, they sure do build a great sandwich.
There was something else they made, and we had, or I had ( and Tina is arguing with me, that I am making up a food word ) a ?? Muffalotta ?? Muffaleta?? or something like that?? .... Tina is behind me, and said I am losing it slow but sure.
Maybe a Po Boy and a Mufaleta is the same??

128September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 6 Empty Re: September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Sat Sep 10, 2016 12:40 pm

NormM

NormM

Crybaby wrote:
NormM wrote:Beth, around here, Asian markets sell soup bones for a reasonable price.

Wow, Norm, I'd never even thought of that.  I'm going to check it out, too, as I love making beef vegetable soup and also sometimes make homemade beef stock.  The latter requires, besides the bones, a decent amount of chuck as well to make it really beefy, so I haven't made it in a long time....

Thanks for the tip!  

Even though they have gone up in price too, I find that ox tail give a good flavor to stock. If I braise a brisket, I save some of the liquid because it has a great flavor too.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

129September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 6 Empty Re: September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Sat Sep 10, 2016 2:17 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:
Crybaby wrote:
Bugster2 wrote:This convenience store - it makes the sandwiches for you? Not pre-made I hope. Like gas station sushi, I wouldn't touch the pre-maid with a 10-foot pole.

Nope, they make them right there while you wait.  You can watch the entire process.  We've been going there for 18 years now and they're as clean as clean can be.  And delicious, too.  

When Tina and I went to New Orleans for MY 50th birthday, we went to a sandwich shoppe and brother, they sure do build a great sandwich.
There was something else they made, and we had, or I had ( and Tina is arguing with me, that I am making up a food word ) a ?? Muffalotta ?? Muffaleta?? or something like that?? .... Tina is behind me, and said I am losing it slow but sure.

You are right Jimmy. It is a muffaletta. Lots of olives as I recall.

130September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 6 Empty Re: September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Sat Sep 10, 2016 2:37 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:
UNCLE JIMMY wrote:
Crybaby wrote:

YEP. Debbie, you are 100% correct.... ( tongue sticking out and pointed at Tina ). I knew there was such a thing, and its birth was from NO,LA.

I googled it.
You are right Jimmy. It is a muffaletta. Lots of olives as I recall.

131September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 6 Empty Re: September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Sat Sep 10, 2016 3:06 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

bethk wrote:Sounds great, Crybaby.....only thing I'd change is I do NOT discard the wingtips.  Those are the best part, especially on a charcoal fire.  Man, when the very end gets black and turns to 'air'....OMG, the best bite to be had!

No, thanks, Beth! Even Brian doesn't want those! Razz

They do get saved, though -- they get added to the stock bag in the freezer.

132September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 6 Empty Re: September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Sat Sep 10, 2016 3:35 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:When Tina and I went to New Orleans for MY 50th birthday, we went to a sandwich shoppe and brother, they sure do build a great sandwich.

Nope, you're right, Jimmy. The muffuletta (pronounced Muffa Lotta) is the sandwich you're thinking of. They are DIVINE!! For those not in the know, the muffuletta contains Genoa Salami, Mortadella, Ham, Mozzarella, Provolone, and a wonderful chunky Olive Salad made with Sicilian Olives just crushed, not chopped, Gardiniera, oregano, lots of oil, all on the quintessential bread, a round muffuletta loaf, about 10-11″ across topped with sesame seeds, light in the center with a nice crust. They wrap them up in paper and the oil will still drizzle out on the paper. But when you taste it, you wouldn't have it any other way. Some places heat them but I prefer it served the original way, which isn't heated. Lots of places make mini-muffulettas on appetizers trays. Delish, though none are as good as the original ones made by Central Grocery. If you visit, go early (before it opens) so you're at the head of the line. When I go, that's where I get my imported cheeses, specialty canned items (canned cherry tomatoes, etc.) and all kinds of good stuff. They have fresh mozzarella and burrata, and often have the very fresh Greek feta cheese, the type that comes in the milky liquid, kind of like whey. Boy, is THAT good!

A po-boy (or poor boy) is usually any sandwich served on French bread, but is more like a regular sandwich -- the bread is the signature ingredient!

Tell Tina that you're a man that knows his sandwiches! You painted a good picture of the two of you -- I could almost hear Tina telling you that, Jimmy!

133September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 6 Empty Re: September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Sat Sep 10, 2016 3:59 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Sounds great, Crybaby.....only thing I'd change is I do NOT discard the wingtips.  Those are the best part, especially on a charcoal fire.  Man, when the very end gets black and turns to 'air'....OMG, the best bite to be had!

The only thing I do for sure is trim off the 'toe nail' up higher on the wingtip.  Don't like toe nails.....

LOL

Haaaaa..... Tina loves toe nails ...piggies and chicky's ...
A N D .... my dad was a bone eater. You know the knuckle joints on the legs and wings? Well, dad would bite them off and crunch them, and swallow.
Gee.. I wonder if that had something to do with Jimmy boy not liking chicken.
We actually, would save our bones for dad.

*News Flash*.... watching it now. Coconut crop lacking in output / disease etc.... so If you use a lot of coconut products like milk or grated, get to the store and get it while the gettins good.

134September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 6 Empty Re: September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Sat Sep 10, 2016 5:56 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Jimmy, here is a link for a do-it-yourself version.

https://www.kcet.org/food/weekend-recipe-new-orleans-muffulettas

135September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 6 Empty Re: September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Sat Sep 10, 2016 6:03 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

But it's the BREAD that makes the sandwich......whether a poboy or a muffaletta, the bread is the key.

And you can't get the RIGHT BREAD anyplace but New Orleans! It's well worth the trip, to be sure~

136September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 6 Empty Re: September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Sat Sep 10, 2016 6:21 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

I cut up the peppers and onions..... Tina made the Sausage Cacciatori.

Sausage
peppers
onions
potato wedges to suck up the grease and sauce juices.

All done in the electric fry pan....

September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 6 OOD6lX

137September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 6 Empty Re: September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Sat Sep 10, 2016 6:35 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

OH, MAN....OH, MAN!!!

That looks FANTASTIC !!! I want the potatoes......you can have the sausages. But I'll take the potatoes and onions.

138September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 6 Empty Re: September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Sat Sep 10, 2016 6:38 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:Jimmy, here is a link for a do-it-yourself version.

https://www.kcet.org/food/weekend-recipe-new-orleans-muffulettas

Thanks Deb. Wow...even the bread too! I like the idea of the pressing and turning to press the other way / side.

I would like them, because when I make or order an italian sub. I put my own olive oil and salt and pepper and oregano on the buns top and bottom.

You are right. It has to have the right bread.

139September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 6 Empty Re: September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Sat Sep 10, 2016 6:42 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:OH, MAN....OH, MAN!!!

That looks FANTASTIC !!!     I want the potatoes......you can have the sausages.  But I'll take the potatoes and onions.

Thanks Beth! Yeah! I'm not a big potato eater, but I ate two wedges, and they were good. T likes her peppers and onions like soft and caramelized. I don't. I took my onions and peppers out so they would be a little snap / bite when I eat them.

140September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 6 Empty Re: September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Sat Sep 10, 2016 7:26 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I seasoned a bone-in/skin-on chicken breast to grill, split a baked sweet potato, put a sheet pan of cauliflower flowerettes (evoo, s&p and red pepper flakes) on the grill to 'bake', and warmed the leftover braised red cabbage from last night. Now we're full......

September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 6 IMG_20160910_180256003

141September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 6 Empty Re: September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:25 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Joe and I had pastrami reubens and Katie had a turkey reuben sandwich. I forgot to have the pastrami shaved so it was a bit hard for me to chew. I bought some marbled rye bread for the sandwiches but I think I might prefer the seeded Jewish rye bread.

I was watching this new food show on Amazon Prime with Emeril Lagasse. One part had those wonderful pork dumplings. I wonder where I can buy some. Maybe at the Asian market. Anyone ever had them?

142September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 6 Empty Re: September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:39 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

We almost lost our appetites today after seeing a man at the beach. He was somewhere in his 70's or 80's. Tanned a tobacco brown with very leathery skin. White hair, and he had skinny legs and arms with this huge ponza. If that wasn't bad enough, he was wearing a flesh toned thong. Just what we wanted to see. I don't know if he was European or gay.

143September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 6 Empty Re: September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:58 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:We almost lost our appetites today after seeing a man at the beach. He was somewhere in his 70's or 80's. Tanned a tobacco brown with very leathery skin. White hair, and he had skinny legs and arms with this huge ponza. If that wasn't bad enough, he was wearing a flesh toned thong. Just what we wanted to see. I don't know if he was European or gay.

OMG.... that must have been a sight. "sick though, if you ask me!"
September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 6 2876911673

We get the dumplings with the pork, in a bag, frozen, at the Asian Market.
They are awesome..... The only thing, is, the ones we bought, you boil them but when the water just starts to boil, you drain the water, add new water and bring to a boil slowly. Again. Then shut off the heat, and set for 3 minutes. Done~ They came out nice and soft, and not doughy and hard.

144September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 6 Empty Re: September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Sun Sep 11, 2016 7:00 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

I've made pork dumplings before.  The ingredients are simple enough.  It wouldn't be difficult if you had a few people to help assemble because that task takes the longest.  

When I cooked them I browned them 'flat side' down (the side they rested on when made & frozen) in a bit of oil with just a couple drops of sesame oil to flavor.  When golden I added enough water to steam and added a lid to the skillet until the meat filling was cooked.

When you make them you get a completely new admiration for those who can whip out dozens of beautifully styled varieties.  I'm not one of those people ~ LOL

Found my old pics:

September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 6 Gyoza1

September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 6 Gyoza2

September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 6 Gyoza3

September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 6 Gyoza4

September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 6 042912

145September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 6 Empty Re: September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:11 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

Out here we call those dumplings pot stickers. I have made those many times. What I have not had are these:
Scroll down the page to see them.

https://tastyandyummy.wordpress.com/tag/pork-dumplings/

Anybody had these? Or made them?

146September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 6 Empty Re: September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:16 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Not me! LOL

The only ones I can think of who might have made them are Imelda or Norm.

(but sounds to me if you can buy a bag of frozen ones at the Asian Market for little, that would be the route I would go)

147September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 6 Empty Re: September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:37 am

NormM

NormM

I have got them from the Asian market before but only a couple of times.

148September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 6 Empty Re: September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:38 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

That is what I am going to do: go to the Asian market. A few miles from here they have a huge Asian grocery/warehouse like Costco. Never been to it. I think I will have a look-see. I have always wanted a Chinese cleaver too. Maybe I can find an inexpensive one there. I am not quite sure how you eat them though. I guess I will have to finish watching Emeril's video to see.

149September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 6 Empty Re: September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:47 am

NormM

NormM

They are usually boiled but you can steam them too, or
Heat 1 to 2 tablespoons vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Place 8 to 10 dumplings in the pan and cook until browned, about 2 minutes per side. Pour in 1 cup of water, cover and cook until the dumplings are tender and the pork is cooked through, about 5 minutes. Repeat for remaining dumplings. Make or buy a soy sauce based dip if you want.

150September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 6 Empty Re: September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:26 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

The best soy sauce based dipping sauce I've made (trying to replicate what I had at a restaurant) was easy....

Equal parts soy sauce & water, 4 or 5 pieces of sliced ginger and a few drops of toasted sesame oil. Heat 1 minute in microwave and allow to cool to room temperature. Remove ginger slices and add toasted sesame seeds and finely chopped scallion (green parts).

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 6 of 16]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 11 ... 16  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum