Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU

+5
NormM
UNCLE JIMMY
Barbara101
bethk
Imelda HL
9 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11 ... 19  Next

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 19]

76JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 4 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:38 am

cookingirl

cookingirl

Bugs, I am sorry to hear about the possible sale of your house. Would you buy or rent?

Beth, You would never guess what I am now eating in my salad!
yes, Baby kale!!! shudder---never thought I would do so.

I was at the grocery store last week, looking at the lettuce mixes. I saw a batch of baby kale with baby spinach... wondering how it tasted, and knowing it is very good for you, I took a chance. I thought the baby stuff would be more appealing to me..

I have to say that I did get a box of baby romaine also...

I have been mixing the three of them together in my salads. I do trim off the long stems. You know what?? I can hardly taste any difference at all-- just a drier texture to the salad--and a heartier bite.

Yesterday I cooked a ribeye on my stove with a Calphalon grill pan. it came out so good!! I could not believe it.. or maybe it was because I have not had a steak for a few months...

Last night I had a smaller salad with steak on top.. it was really good. I think today I many have the same, but perhaps with more romaine--just as a taste switch up... or I may just eat light. It is a busy day for me...real busy..

I have a huge errand to do this morning, then the gym, then I volunteered for the late shift at the humane society...gotta feed the cats, play with them, and scoop the boxes...so I will have a rushed day...

77JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 4 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:42 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

So your post is for Bugs and Beth ?

78JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 4 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:47 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

Never mind. At least you have something food related to talk about . That's what and why Beth and I have put this forum together.
Hope you post your food more often.

79JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 4 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:20 am

cookingirl

cookingirl

Barbara, I have been dieting for a while. I am living on salads. I am not cooking very much. I have been trying to lose weight. I have lost 16.4 lbs.
I feel that is a triumph for me. I am continuing it.

I am not cooking but I am viewing everyones food, and comments. My post was meant for everyone, but I was addressing both Bugs and Beth because of their specific posts.. Beth loves kale, you hate it. Bugs was saying she was selling her house, I wanted to sympathize with her.

Perhaps I should just send a PM then.

When I do cook, I want to be able to share it with people; however I am doing hardly any of it. I am being creative but boring with salads. I want to be proud of what I do.. and share that with people. Problem is, I am just not cooking.

My salads consist of lettuce, baby plum tomatoes, cucumbers, celery, radishes, either red kidney beans or 3 bean salad, or beets, or a hard boiled egg. I have 2 eggs a week. I do make sure I have a protein in there. I also use either cubed cheddar cheese, or feta cheese it there. And croutons.

I do not have lunch. I either have a power bar after the gym, a protein shake with almond milk, or an apple with a scoop of peanut butter.

For breakfast I am eating a container of greek yogurt mixed with some granola.

I have virtually given up coffee, staying with green tea.. and lots of water.

I do eat popcorn popped with olive oil as a snack and have a couple of life savers or sugarless hard candies after supper, as a treat.

Since doing this, my bp has dropped from 134/90 to 112/70 and my glucose level has dropped 10 points. I will find out about my cholesterol later this month.

I am not cooking. I live alone, so I am doing the best that I can.
I love reading all the food posts. I love to get ideas and see what is going on with my long time friends, on here.

Yes, I know both you and Beth started this as a food/cooking platform. It was a group of us who enjoyed each others company and loved food. We all shared ideas, and learned from others.

80JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 4 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:40 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

I don't know what we are going to do about the house yet.

Last night we had caprese sandwiches on a roll. We used fresh mozzarella, tomatoes and basil marinated in a vinegar based solution, thinly sliced red onion also marinated in the same vinegar mix, mixed baby lettuce tossed with evoo and a pesto aioli. It was really good except the onions gave me grief for a while.
I think Joe and Katie are going to the beach today but Joe won't go in the water. Because of El Nino we have had quite a few sharks in the water and a poor woman got chomped while swimming. She's going to be ok but in the hospital for some time. Katie doesn't go in the water at all and I don't go in any more either. I have become, I don't know how to put it. I get grossed out about things that never bothered me before. One is the ocean. I can't stand seaweed getting on me and I also want to see what is floating in the water around me. My vision is so bad that I need glasses to find my glasses. What I want is a prescription pair of swim goggles so I can see what is in the water around me. It is a luxury that has to wait. So, I need to think of something that can be reheated fast when they get home. Maybe a soup or chowder. I want to try Tommy Bahama's crab bisque recipe but it uses something that I think has to be ordered: Minor's shrimp base. I think I will try and find out if it is something I can buy locally or at least find out what's in it so I can make a copycat recipe.

81JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 4 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:44 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

I, for one, enjoy hearing things about people's lives on this forum. It makes me feel like we are friends instead of strangers.

82JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 4 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:40 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

cookingirl wrote:Beth, You would never guess what I am now eating in my salad!
yes, Baby kale!!! shudder---never thought I would do so.

I was at the grocery store last week, looking at the lettuce mixes. I saw a batch of baby kale with baby spinach... wondering how it tasted, and knowing it is very good for you, I took a chance. I thought the baby stuff would be more appealing to me..

I have to say that I did get a box of baby romaine also...

I have been mixing the three of them together in my salads. I do trim off the long stems. You know what??  I can hardly taste any difference at all-- just a drier texture to the salad--and a heartier bite.

Told ya so! Told ya so!!! Hahahaha.

Now all I have to do is get you to make braised (low/slow cooked kale w/bacon & onions) to put under soft boiled eggs. THEN I'll figure you to be a REAL convert!

((Oh, OK, so I won't hold my breath waiting for THAT to happen. It really is a taste-specific dish that I'm sure not many people would like.))

83JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 4 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Wed Jul 06, 2016 1:09 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Be like an Italian....hahahahaha ( speaking for myself here )

Whatever is green in the fridge and is going bad...lol....throw it in a pot with water, beans and fennel seed.....boil the heck out of it.....eat it with a loaf of bread, and run run run to the potty quick.

84JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 4 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Wed Jul 06, 2016 2:53 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Yup, Jimmy.....anytime you boil anything GREEN forever you definitely want to be close to home.....LOL

85JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 4 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:26 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

I have never had that kind of trouble when eating greens but then I usually only eat spinach. Is there a particular green that causes a bowel upset?

86JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 4 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Wed Jul 06, 2016 5:35 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Yup, Jimmy.....anytime you boil anything GREEN forever you definitely want to be close to home.....LOL
JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 4 2876911673 JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 4 2876911673

87JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 4 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Wed Jul 06, 2016 5:40 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Tina mommy is cooking chicken drumsticks with onions and later potatoes, in the cast iron fry pan.
I want just plain ole charred hot dogs on the grill, with mustard and onions, and pickles on the side.

88JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 4 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Wed Jul 06, 2016 5:42 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

I will be making a baby eggplant stack. Oh yeah!!!

89JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 4 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Wed Jul 06, 2016 5:54 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Barbara101 wrote:I will be making a baby eggplant stack. Oh yeah!!!

OK.... I'm ready, Got my Baby Bib on. JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 4 3470128989

90JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 4 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:05 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Bugster2 wrote:I have never had that kind of trouble when eating greens but then I usually only eat spinach. Is there a particular green that causes a bowel upset?

I don't think there is any particular green that causes intestinal problems....it's the fact that the greens usually have more fiber, etc. that many are not use to digesting. The darker the green the more 'clean out' capacity it has, IMO. And there is a difference between the raw and cooked. My favorite salads have regular kale, or the black 'dinosaur' kale, which is much more fiber than the baby kale. I like to take the ribs out (inedible for me) and then cut into 1/2" strips for my salad. Then I make a vinegarette with a good deal of acidic lemon juice or variety vinegar and rub it with my hands to help break down the fiber of the plant. It's not so much like eating steel wool that way. I usually pair my kale salads with a fruit and protein - maybe pears and deli ham. Then I get bitter (greens), sweet (fruit) and salty (ham) all in one bite.

But with your delicate system, Bugs, I think I would suggest you forgo the kale. I would most likely bother you a lot.

91JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 4 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:06 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Tina mommy is cooking chicken drumsticks with onions and later potatoes, in the cast iron fry pan.
I want just plain ole charred hot dogs on the grill, with mustard and onions, and pickles on the side.

Is she doing her 'braised' potatoes w/onions that I learned from her? LOVE that!

92JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 4 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:17 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:
UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Tina mommy is cooking chicken drumsticks with onions and later potatoes, in the cast iron fry pan.

Is she doing her 'braised' potatoes w/onions that I learned from her?  LOVE that!
Y U P !!!

93JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 4 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:54 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 4 Eggplant%20stacks

made 2..still have enough for dinner tomorrow..

94JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 4 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:59 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Jacob asked for the sauted zucchini....then told me I didn't make enough! Picky eater except when it comes to vegetables.

JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 4 IMG_20160706_181816791

Here is Robin & Jacob outside the restaurant when we went to lunch today....

JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 4 IMG_20160706_123314762_HDR

And here's Jake with the gecko he caught out in the courtyard......been tryin' to get a big one for two days!

JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 4 IMG_20160706_183519239

95JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 4 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:09 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 4 Grilled%20veggies_thumb%5B3%5D

96JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 4 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:16 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 4 20160329_182755_zps91ikqoko

I just ate and Tim brought me a plate lol lol..

97JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 4 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:22 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

well, gee, Barb.....have you thought of what's for supper TOMORROW ???

Again I'll say, 'what nice neighbors you have!' (it would be different if they didn't cook YOUR kind of food.....YUM!)

98JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 4 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:23 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Barbara101 wrote:JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 4 Grilled%20veggies_thumb%5B3%5D

What a beautifully colorful meal! You make 'vegetarian' look good.

(translation: I wouldn't turn down that plate of food!)

99JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 4 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:40 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

bethk wrote:well, gee, Barb.....have you thought of what's for supper TOMORROW ???

Again I'll say, 'what nice neighbors you have!'  (it would be different if they didn't cook YOUR kind of food.....YUM!)

well the good does come with the bad..SHE comes over all the time and I have lost my privacy.Her MIL from hell is visiting and she hates her. She came over and wanted bourbon..I told her I did not have any,I said have Tim buy you some,she said he doesnt want her to drink!!!well duh..

Yesterday she just came busting in twice to chill and get away from MIL.. Rolling Eyes Evil or Very Mad

wrapped it up and in the fridge..

100JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 4 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:40 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Jacob asked for the sauted zucchini....then told me I didn't make enough!  Picky eater except when it comes to vegetables.  

JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 4 IMG_20160706_181816791

Here is Robin & Jacob outside the restaurant when we went to lunch today....

JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 4 IMG_20160706_123314762_HDR

And here's Jake with the gecko he caught out in the courtyard......been tryin' to get a big one for two days!

JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 4 IMG_20160706_183519239

God Bless.... what a beautiful family Beth.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 19]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11 ... 19  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum