Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU

+5
NormM
UNCLE JIMMY
Barbara101
bethk
Imelda HL
9 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11 ... 19  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 19]

51JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 3 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Mon Jul 04, 2016 8:55 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 3 Greek%20pasta2

shrimp pasta salad.

52JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 3 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Mon Jul 04, 2016 8:57 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 3 13501892_10206669317471412_5290296484301748054_n

53JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 3 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Mon Jul 04, 2016 8:58 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 3 13076719_10153458020466960_8533048290892493319_n

54JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 3 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:57 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

I don't know how all these last 9 posts got past notifying me, and I am signed in?????

Anyway... Burgers and dogs... mac salad, and baked ziti. Fresh Tina mommy made blueberry squares...Son and DIL came over; we ate at 4:30, and they left at 5:45.
All cleaned up, and we plopped in our ez chairs to watch tv and snooze.

You should see the huge fireworks the guy 3 doors down the street has. My God, the rockets launchers are more like the pro pyrotechnics. We have a state no fireworks law, but I guess people don't care about getting caught! If it was me, I would be in jail for lighting a sparkler. That's my luck.

I don't mind people lighting off fireworks, and I had them as a kid .

55JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 3 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:32 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Bugs, I recently bought a new LG 30" freestanding (slide-in) gas range but it was pretty expensive. But it was the highest rated LG single oven gas range in 2015 and had stellar reviews; I fell in love with it online, decided on it, showed it to Brian online and headed to the store to buy it. It has Convection, 5 burners (center burner is a big oval and it comes with a grill that you can use over that but it's great for finishing up a sauce in a large roasting pan, which I recently did with a big ol' grin on my face, not having to place the pan over two burners), has two cleaning cycles (for the shorter one, you spray the oven interior with water measured in the spray bottle they provide, press EasyClean and then in 10 minutes, quickly wipe away any leftover grime. You can still use the traditional self-clean cycle for the occasional deep clean if you need it.), a huge oven with a huge window looking into the oven, a big ultra heat fast boiling burner and a smaller burner that specializes in simmers, with different BTUs on the other 3 burners, and it has a warming drawer too with 3 different heat levels. It comes with 3 oven racks but has 7 slots in which to adjust the racks.

Another nice thing about it is that it preheats really fast (in about 6 minutes) and you can calibrate the oven 35 degrees in either direction if needed (mine needed it but it was a breeze to do, pushing a couple of buttons). I got it at Best Buy on sale ($300 off) but I think that was 'cause the newer models were coming out soon. We absolutely love it but like I said, it was pretty pricey even on sale. The way we looked at it is that we used the old one for over 18 years (it was here when we bought the house and I hated it -- a Kenmore) and we spend a ton of money on food and we both love to cook. So we decided it could also be considered as part of our "entertainment" funds! But I got a Best Buy credit card so I am paying for it interest free over 18 months (I hate paying cash for anything if I can finance for free).

Our old oven broke exactly the same way yours did. We paid almost $400 for parts and labor to have it fixed and the repairman didn't encourage our fixing it, as he said it would probably break again and there was no guarantee. But then I hate to belong to the "just throw it out and buy a new one club" so I had to try. For naught, of course.

The end of the story is that I adore the damn thing -- so does Brian! So we got what we paid for. P.S. Our old gas stove had the broiler AT THE BOTTOM which killed our backs. This beauty has it at the top of the oven and it's a pleasure to broil something now! Quicker, too!

56JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 3 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:34 pm

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

It's too hot to do anything outdoor, 110'F, so we stayed in, even Dirk did not go out and grill his tuna, he let me cooked it on a skillet.. I pan-fried both sides with butter + olive oil, then made the sauce with lemon, garlic, fresh cracked black pepper, chili flakes ( I should have put some grated ginger too ), served it with pasta, red bellpeppers, onion and chive..

JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 3 8_zps4ekylytu

I think I cooked it a bit too long ( It's perfect for me though), oh well.. I got no complaint from D
Razz

JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 3 9_zpsfllupwcg

57JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 3 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:01 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

Bugster2 wrote:Gas, electric, dual fuel?
Sorry, I just can't remember everything I have seen on this site.
JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 3 Th?id=OIP

Electric. smooth top..I absolutely hate a gas range and will never buy or use one.
Smooth top only for me,so easy to clean.

I know you will not be interested in this range but it works just like I want.

In fact it is just perfect for me..I do not need anything else.

58JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 3 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:04 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

I don't know how all these last 9 posts got past notifying me, and I am signed in?????

Me too Jimmy.I do not get notices anymore..

59JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 3 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:20 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

I got screwed twice by Dacor. That is the brand of my range. The first time I bought the bottom of the line model. It cooked beautifully but everything that was plastic on it had to be replaced at least 4 times within a couple of years. The handle on the microwave had to be replaced so many times I lost count. I do remember that it had to be replaced twice within one week. I spent more on those repairs than I did on the whole stove and micro combined. I did contact the company to complain but they blew me off. I then wrote a letter to "Fight Back with David Horowitz" about the situation. They wrote a letter to Dacor. I got a phone call from them asking me "Why didn't I call them first"? I answered that I did call them about the problem but got no satisfaction. She says "Who did you talk to"? I answer "You".
What they did was buy back the stove and micro and I paid them more money to get their top of the line model thinking that since there was no plastic, there would be no problems. WRONG!!!! I can't use the self clean without replacing some kind of heating unit having to be replaced which costs over $300. The circuit board went out. The coil burnt out. The heating uniote has been replaced 5 times without using the self clean. And the enamel oven lining is all cracked.

Update on my green onion experiment: the green onions kept in a jar of water on the counter have paled a little in color and a few branches have browned but the have grown 8 inches in height. No slime anywhere. The fridge batch in the plastic pasta container have had some slimey leaves that needed removing. Their color did not pale. So my conclusion is the countertop, just like what CI said.

60JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 3 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:33 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

Crybaby, I saw your oven last night. That oval 5th burner had me interested.

61JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 3 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:46 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

Maybe Jimmy knows what is wrong. This morning I put a probe thermometer attached to the outside of a pan inside my oven. I set it to 350 and waited for it to reach the temp. When it dinged at 350 my probe thermometer said 344. Then the temp began to drop. It is has been about 20 minutes and the thermometer says the oven is 230. No wonder my cake wouldn't bake. Jimmy do you know what causes this?

62JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 3 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Tue Jul 05, 2016 1:54 pm

cookingirl

cookingirl

Barbara101 wrote:I don't know how all these last 9 posts got past notifying me, and I am signed in?????

Me too Jimmy.I do not get notices anymore..

I miss many posts on here. Sometimes I can go an entire day without seeing any new posts; then I am amazed at how many I missed....crazy

63JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 3 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Tue Jul 05, 2016 4:41 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I was just going over the pics again from yesterday since I was on the run all day.

Barb, did you turn that shrimp into a Greek Shrimp Pasta Salad? Man, why didn't I ever think of doing that for Mr. Amazing??? He would LOVE that. Of course, I'd leave the 'icky' feta off mine ~ LOL!

The lobsters are monsters, just like you said. I refuse to comment more than that or I'll blow my food budget.

And I'm not going to start on the blueberry crostata ~ Dane would hate me for making it because his 'lost' weight is fighting it's way back (little by little). So, definitely nothing in the baked goods department coming out of my kitchen. But YOURS looks like a perfect specimen.

Imelda, I think you did a fine job on the tuna for Dirk. I agree, over 110° is way too hot to be cooking outside. I think your choice of a side is perfect. I don't cook tuna as it's not on our list of fish we're use to eating. I just stick to my white fish ~ grouper, flounder, cod. I'll bet if you did it again you could easily turn it into a tuna salad and serve it on a big bowl of salad greens & fixin's (vegetables, eggs, olives). There's a tuna nicoise salad that is a classic. It's usually served as a 'composed' salad with the ingredients grouped together ~ romaine lettuce, blanched green beans, boiled potatoes, eggs, nicoise olives, capers. The tuna is cooked rare and sliced/fanned out on top. I think it's probably a light vinegarette with Dijon mustard.....do a recipe search and I'm sure you can find pictures and instructions. Or, just ask Barb! I'm 99% sure she's made it and can tell you what she did.

64JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 3 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Tue Jul 05, 2016 5:11 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:Maybe Jimmy knows what is wrong. This morning I put a probe thermometer attached to the outside of a pan inside my oven. I set it to 350 and waited for it to reach the temp. When it dinged at 350 my probe thermometer said 344. Then the temp began to drop. It is has been about 20 minutes and the thermometer says the oven is 230. No wonder my cake wouldn't bake. Jimmy do you know what causes this?

Yes! .... seriously two things.
When the oven reaches 350 + - 4 degrees....it shuts off...untill the temperature drops below the 350 set point by around 5 to 10 degrees. By then, the oven gets a signal to re-ignite to get back up to 350 degrees. Now! here is the test to find out if it is a problem with the temperature controller.
Raise the temperature setpoint to 400 degrees, and if immedietly, the oven lights, then you know its possibly the controller.

NOW... 9 out of 10 times, the problem is the ignitor AKA the Norton Igniter, or the Hot Surface Igniter. It is supposed to glow really white hot. Not orange , but white hot, and bright It cycles on and off and on and off trying to ignite the oven flame, and sometime it will.....but too late. Which is why the oven temperature falls way too low.
If the ignitor does not glow white hot, it will not open the gas valve; obviously to allow the gas to flow to the burner to create the heat to maintain the temperature set point.

A Norton Igniter~~ $38.00 + the service charge...$approx. $67 to $97 here in Jersey.

When the oven tries to ignite, you could see the igniter sometimes under the bottom plate. You can remove the bottom plate too.
This video shows the ignitor operation really well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNMifnNsAM8

65JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 3 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Tue Jul 05, 2016 5:16 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

Thanks and that's why I like to make them, one small crust and piles of fruit.
Yes grilled shrimp pasta salad and I saved a handful for something? I will post recipe somewhere??? Pretty basic. I ran out of Orzo so used pasta.
Yeah I got those from Maine. One time thing lol

66JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 3 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Tue Jul 05, 2016 6:06 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:
Bugster2 wrote:Maybe Jimmy knows what is wrong. This morning I put a probe thermometer attached to the outside of a pan inside my oven. I set it to 350 and waited for it to reach the temp. When it dinged at 350 my probe thermometer said 344. Then the temp began to drop. It is has been about 20 minutes and the thermometer says the oven is 230. No wonder my cake wouldn't bake. Jimmy do you know what causes this?

Yes! .... seriously two things.
When the oven reaches 350 + - 4 degrees....it shuts off...untill the temperature drops below the 350 set point by around 5 to 10 degrees. By then, the oven gets a signal to re-ignite to get back up to 350 degrees. Now! here is the test to find out if it is a problem with the temperature controller.
Raise the temperature setpoint to 400 degrees, and if immedietly, the oven lights, then you know its possibly the controller.

NOW... 9 out of 10 times, the problem is the ignitor AKA the Norton Igniter, or the Hot Surface Igniter.  It is supposed to glow really white hot. Not orange , but white hot, and bright It cycles on and off and on and off trying to ignite the oven flame, and sometime it will.....but too late. Which is why the oven temperature falls way too low.

I have a duel fuel, meaning the oven is all electric. The top is gas.
If the ignitor does not glow white hot, it will not open the gas valve; obviously to allow the gas to flow to the burner to create the heat to maintain the temperature set point.

A Norton Igniter~~ $38.00 + the service charge...$approx. $67 to $97 here in Jersey.

When the oven tries to ignite, you could see the igniter sometimes under the bottom plate. You can remove the bottom plate too.
This video shows the ignitor operation really well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNMifnNsAM8

67JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 3 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Tue Jul 05, 2016 6:14 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Maybe I can get some opinions from the forum members.

My oven is a Dacor that is 13 years old.

It breaks at least every two years, maybe more.

Repairs cost at least $250 each time.

The range is still in beautiful condition outside.

Inside the enamel oven lining is crazed and crackled.

I am unable to use the self clean cycle because it always burns out something that costs at least $250.

It once was a $5000 stove.

Should I keep getting it fixed or should I buy a new stove that costs only 1/4 price of my Dacor? I can't afford another high end appliance plus my kitchen is really showing wear and tear. And another thing: we may have to sell the house.

68JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 3 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:19 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

DD#2 & GS came up with the idea of taco salad for supper.....easy ~ peasy

JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 3 IMG_20160705_173126663

69JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 3 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:13 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 3 Eggplant%20chicken3

I have a fridge full of leftovers.so,I made eggplant,peppers and chicken ,mozz sandwiches lol...

70JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 3 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:20 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

It once was a $5000 stove.

I had a $24K SUV and when it crapped out, I bought a new car.....

Plus I would never ever ever buy a Range that costs $5k.. Shocked Evil or Very Mad Rolling Eyes Mad

71JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 3 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:32 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:DD#2 & GS came up with the idea of taco salad for supper.....easy ~ peasy

JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 3 IMG_20160705_173126663

Salad looks good.... We had one of those box el paso taco dinners, and I thought the seasoning was starchy tasting.
Like eating library paste.

72JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 3 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Wed Jul 06, 2016 1:51 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Today's supper.... I did two steaks on the grill, and two burgers.
I had the burgers....one with the Greek chili sauce, and one with tomato, onion, and mayo!
GD had a steak, and her mac and cheese. Tina had pie. She wasn't hungry.

73JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 3 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Wed Jul 06, 2016 2:19 am

Crybaby

Crybaby

Bugster2 wrote:Crybaby, I saw your oven last night. That oval 5th burner had me interested.

I didn't realize I'd like that burner as much as I do, Debbie. I guess I forgot how many times I juggle a larger oven roasting pan over two burners to deglaze it or reduce something. Plus it's nice the stove came with the grill pan that fits over it perfectly, too.

My requirements when we were looking for this house were (1) central air and heat, (2) a dishwasher and (3) a gas stove or at a minimum, a gas line run to the house so we coud get a gas stove. We rented for so many years and had to put up with electric stoves, which neither of us like. I like the adjustability of gas -- how you can put that flame as low or as high as you want by eyeballing it. Another thing I like about this stove is that the grates on top of the burners cover the whole stove and not just each burner -- so you don't have to lift a pot to move it to another burner, but you can just pull it over. Believe it or not, the grates are dishwasher safe. I can't imagine putting them in the dishwasher but they remove easily and it's a breeze to clean the top. Burners have no "holes" in them either for any possible spills to go into. I sound like an LG salesman but I do love that stove. My only regret is that we didn't get it at the beginning of winter instead of summer!

74JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 3 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Wed Jul 06, 2016 2:31 am

Crybaby

Crybaby

Bugster wrote:Should I keep getting it fixed or should I buy a new stove that costs only 1/4 price of my Dacor? I can't afford another high end appliance plus my kitchen is really showing wear and tear. And another thing: we may have to sell the house.

I'd say you've put more than enough money into that stove, Bug. It's time to bite the bullet and get another one -- for yourself to enjoy using or to prepare your house for resale. You've repaired the same thing too many times to keep doing it. Doesn't really matter what the stove looks like on the outside if it doesn't work properly. Plus, you know any potential buyer would open the stove and see the crack inside -- not good. I'm no realtor but the fact that the stove doesn't work right might even be something you have to disclose to the buyer. A new jazzy looking stove would help spruce up the look of your kitchen, too, as it sounds like that's one of your concerns.

Let us know what you decide to do.

75JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 3 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:10 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

We are going to have to sell the house as a fixer upper at a reduced price. There is so much deferred maintenance that has to be done and no money to do it with. We will just have to bite the bullet.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 19]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11 ... 19  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum