Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU

+5
NormM
UNCLE JIMMY
Barbara101
bethk
Imelda HL
9 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 15 ... 19  Next

Go down  Message [Page 11 of 19]

251JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 11 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:13 pm

Niagara Visitor

No cooking for me today.  Met one of my sons and a couple of his friends and we went out for dinner to Boston Pizza............... I love pizza, but they also had a NY strip loin steak, garlic mashed spuds and carrots and broccoli.  Yum, Yum, Yum!  Steak was perfectly done, med. rare just the way I like it!

252JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 11 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Sat Jul 16, 2016 8:15 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

It's interesting to me that the child loves his carbs (potatoes, noodles, rice, pasta) but prefers no breading on his proteins, like chicken, fish & shrimp.

So, tonight was simple grilled chicken breast, boiled potatoes, mixed vegetables & some corn on the cob that I wanted to get out of the refrigerator.

JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 11 IMG_20160716_172825595

253JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 11 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Sat Jul 16, 2016 8:56 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:It's interesting to me that the child loves his carbs (potatoes, noodles, rice, pasta) but prefers no breading on his proteins, like chicken, fish & shrimp.  

So, tonight was simple grilled chicken breast, boiled potatoes, mixed vegetables & some corn on the cob that I wanted to get out of the refrigerator.

JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 11 IMG_20160716_172825595

Haaaa! and here with the GD, it's the opposite. She will only eat fish or chicken if it is breaded. No lobster / peel and eat shrimp / crab / fish....

I say she's KFC Spoiled. ....and, her dad and she will not eat potatoes unless they are mashed.

254JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 11 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Sun Jul 17, 2016 12:29 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

OK... Jimmy's supper was a pan fried burger ( x2 ) actually, with yellow cheese melted, and Tina made them in a cast iron pan.

She had two small bites of mine, but she wanted chicken soup, with egg drop noodles.
That is one thing I will not eat. That and pasta carbonara. Nope Nope!!
Ask Bugs,.....guaranteed she will tell you why!!

255JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 11 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:08 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I could not think of a thing to fix for supper. This cooking for the kid every day is causing my brain to run out of ideas!

But, since I had to run to the store, I figured I'd come up with an idea when something caught my eye. And, sure enough, Johnsonville brats were on sale ~ and the boy LOVES, LOVES, LOVES Mrs. T's potato/onion pierogis. He's even grown up enough to want sauted onions with them.....boy, he's getting old!

JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 11 IMG_20160717_173852333

256JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 11 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:43 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 11 13431522_10154362888754445_7908419558187110592_n

257JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 11 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:53 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 11 13770531_109738592798469_1711170203587714724_n

$5lb ...30lbs in my freezer and some for cooking this week.. cheers

258JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 11 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:55 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

Beth your dinners look JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 11 3593629538

259JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 11 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Sun Jul 17, 2016 8:12 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Barbara101 wrote:
$5lb ...30lbs in my freezer and some for cooking this week.. cheers

You're killin' me here! And they look really clean! I paid $17/lb. for 16-20's the other night with the grouper.....and the grouper was $27/lb. It just doesn't make any sense to me. Half the time the grocery stores have thawed Asian Farmed Shrimp in their 'fresh fish' cases. Sorry, but I do NOT buy farmed. I could get river shrimp for $5/lb. if I drove and hour & a half to the St. John's River, but there's that darn electric power plant spewin' Lawd knows what into the river, that and the river shrimp are really small ~ they take forever to clean.

I'll be waitin' to see some wonderful meals in the coming weeks.

260JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 11 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Sun Jul 17, 2016 8:26 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

These came right off the shrimp boat.

Wow that price is ridiculous. Oh hell no.

261JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 11 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:30 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Supper tonight was corn on the cob. A sliced tomato drizzled with olive oil , and a few chocolate chip cookies.

262JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 11 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:23 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Yup, Jimmy, this is the time of the year to eat sweet corn....every state has their local 'best' available. And the new varieties that stay sweet just keep multiplying.

When I was a kid it wasn't unusual for us to have a bushel of corn for a family of 6....as many as would fit went on the charcoal grill, others got shucked and boiled in a huge canning kettle. And we would eat ~ and eat ~ and eat ~ and eat! We also had sliced tomatoes out of the garden, a big pot of fresh snipped green beans and probably a wilted lettuce salad. It amazes me that none of us minded not having meat at those meals, probably didn't even notice. If we did have meat, it was usually a package of Dinner Bell hot dogs, a product made in Ft. Wayne, IN.

263JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 11 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:05 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

Just roasted a bunch of cherry tomatoes. Oh man I'm having a hard time not to eat them.!!!!

264JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 11 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:13 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I use to put pans of those in the oven.....first time I stood at the stove and ate each and every one off the sheet pan! Oh, man, they were SO good. I miss the tomatoes I grew in Ohio so much. I haven't had a decent tomato since we moved here. But I also have missed the snow, sleet and tornados.

I guess it's a trade off.

But you enjoy those tomatoes. Who's gonna care if you eat them all? Just means tomorrow you have to make more!

265JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 11 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:35 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Yup, Jimmy, this is the time of the year to eat sweet corn....every state has their local 'best' available.  And the new varieties that stay sweet just keep multiplying.  

When I was a kid it wasn't unusual for us to have a bushel of corn for a family of 6....as many as would fit went on the charcoal grill, others got shucked and boiled in a huge canning kettle.  And we would eat ~ and eat ~ and eat ~ and eat!  We also had sliced tomatoes out of the garden, a big pot of fresh snipped green beans and probably a wilted lettuce salad.  It amazes me that none of us minded not having meat at those meals, probably didn't even notice.  If we did have meat, it was usually a package of Dinner Bell hot dogs, a product made in Ft. Wayne, IN.  
So true beth! .... In the summer, when we had sweet corn for supper, it was corn...period!
I could envision, and go back....listening to my brother cry, because his corn holder wouldn't stay on the end of the corn cob. LOL....
Then there was getting hollered at for not eating and leaving corn on the cob, and grabbing a new one. .... Oh! ...and getting hollered at for making sucky noises whilst eating it.
And all the while.....mom was yelling, "Now chew it good or you'll get constipated!" "You wouldn't want an enema, would ya?"

Fights and arguing usually fired up at a corn eating meal. Especially between me and my brother. i.e. Who got a bigger corn, or a corn cob that mom cut the pointed end off ( and we never knew it was because there was a husk worm chewing on the end ).
Then there was the "who is eating their corn wrong"; for instance, like a typewriter (my method), or hunt and peck, or round and round starting at one end....
Brothers are always instigating fights or things to irritate each other.

And at the end....there was poor dad,(Mr. Conservative and waste Not) picking up the cobs to throw in the garbage, and finding a corn here or there that was missed, and he would eat it. Those cobs were so clean when he got done.
Then came the shumeal "We DONT Waste FOOD IN This House!"
Mommy and Daddy work Too Hard to buy food...and Yadda Yadda Yaadda!!

Geeze....I don't know what the heck wound me up today??....

266JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 11 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:08 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 11 Tuscan%20shrimp6_thumb%5B3%5D

267JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 11 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:11 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 11 Tuscan+shrimp+collage
Tuscan Shrimp w/ White Beans: (inspired by Napa Style by Michael Chiarello)

Serves 2

a can of white beans (cannellini or any white bean), drained and rinsed
olive oil
1 lb. of shrimp, peeled and deveined
4 cloves of garlic, sliced
a dash or two of hot pepper flakes
14 oz. can of cherry tomatoes (or 1 cup of chopped tomatoes) used fresh roasted cherry T.........
1/2 cup of fresh basil leaves, chopped
2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
salt and pepper

268JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 11 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:20 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Good looking protein packed meal, Barb. Amazing how a simple, inexpensive (almost said 'cheap') can of beans ~ and the variety we have today! ~ can make such a hearty meal. Good to see you're making use of a few of those succulent shrimp!

Jake asked for (and GOT) another of his 'I-miss-my-Grandma-and-her-cooking' meals ~ beef stroganoff. He doesn't like mushrooms, which is a common dis-liked food, but when I told him even his Uncle Jim, the 'Ultimate Mushroom Hater', will eat Grandma's stroganoff as long as I leave the pieces either whole or really big enough to be seen and picked out ~ that's when he decided it was OK to help prep them to cook and not complain that they were in the dish. He also snipped the beans for me....what a hungry boy he must have been! LOL

JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 11 IMG_20160718_175751103

269JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 11 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:27 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I'm going to mention this here because I think most will see it rather than put it in a section at the bottom of the forum where many don't look on a regular basis.

It has been brought to my attention (and I've had it happen to me on occasion) that there might or might not be a virus connected with the forum. Suddenly a 'POP UP' appears with a warning about an infection, etc. and instructions to contact Apple or Dell or computer programing help.

IT IS A SCAM.

IF THIS HAPPENS TO YOU, SIMPLY "X" OUT IMMEDIATELY FROM THE PAGE YOU ARE LOOKING AT. DO NOT CLICK ON ANYTHING WITHIN THE CONTENT OF THE WARNING.

The forum, according to MY computer guy, is NOT infected. It is a random bit of garbage that gets sent out from multiple sources and shows up here and there. There is nothing we can do about it except as I've instructed above.

I'm sorry if this has happened to anyone visiting the forum. It's a scam program and, like I said, has nothing to do with our forum that we have found. Please don't let it scare you.

270JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 11 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:13 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Good looking protein packed meal, Barb.  Amazing how a simple, inexpensive (almost said 'cheap') can of beans ~ and the variety we have today! ~ can make such a hearty meal.  Good to see you're making use of a few of those succulent shrimp!

Jake asked for (and GOT) another of his 'I-miss-my-Grandma-and-her-cooking' meals ~ beef stroganoff.  He doesn't like mushrooms, which is a common dis-liked food, but when I told him even his Uncle Jim, the 'Ultimate Mushroom Hater', will eat Grandma's stroganoff as long as I leave the pieces either whole or really big enough to be seen and picked out ~ that's when he decided it was OK to help prep them to cook and not complain that they were in the dish.  He also snipped the beans for me....what a hungry boy he must have been!  LOL

JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 11 IMG_20160718_175751103

Kids never refuse beef stroganoff here. GD wants mushrooms, and Maria and Jimmy don't even want to see them in their dish.

Beth....good idea leaving the rooms big; so Jake could dig them out.
The only way I dislike a mushroom, is those huge portabella ones made like a burger, and eaten like a burger in a bun. That bite with the texture just turns me off. I can cut it in little pieces, and then it's ok for me to eat.
You know what it's like biting??.... A tongue! yuck!!

271JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 11 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:07 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Barbara101 wrote:JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 11 Tuscan%20shrimp6_thumb%5B3%5D

Oh Boy-ya Goya...!!!

Looks great .....I'll bet some rice mixed in with the beans would be good too! Very Happy

272JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 11 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:24 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Supper for Tina was mashed potatoes and meatloaf with butter.

Supper for Jimmy was a huge ( way too big ) sandwich on Russian Rye, of Liverwurst and onions, with mayo. A big garlic Kosher Pickle on the side. Coffee and a couple ginger snap cookies.

Looking at Barbs shrimp dish is making me want some rice and beans tomorrow, with shrimp and tomatoes like that.

273JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 11 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:41 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

Thanks. I buy those beans by the case lol
I use them a lot with Italian tuna and onion Italian dressing. Sometimes throw in green beans. Makes a great fast lunch....

274JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 11 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:27 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Well, guess what? .... I got my wish for today! Tina is making rice and beans.
She wants stuffed peppers too! The answer to that is Stouffers frozen. What can I say, she likes them!

275JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 11 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:22 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

as long as everyone is happy it doesn't make any difference where the meal comes from!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 11 of 19]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 15 ... 19  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum