Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

"DINNER".....(( MARCH 2015 ))

+4
Bugster2
Barbara101
bethk
UNCLE JIMMY
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 11 ... 16  Next

Go down  Message [Page 7 of 16]

151"DINNER".....(( MARCH 2015 )) - Page 7 Empty Re: "DINNER".....(( MARCH 2015 )) Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:48 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

I was litterly amazed how easy (well, maybe 'easy' is not the word to use...) it was to pare down on what small utensils I have available to use.  I have one small drawer next to the stove that holds items used for pots & pans on the stove: spatulas, wooden spoons, whisk, etc.  Then I have a larger drawer that has items used for mixing: measuring cups & spoons, my knives in a cork lined holder, wine corkscrew thingy, bottle closers, can opener, etc.  Then I have a drawer that my silverware and serving things are kept in.

The rest of the things I was sure I could not live without got put into a portable plastic drawer unit that I stored on a pantry shelf.  Amazing how little I really needed to pull out of the stored unit.  Now I've moved the plastic drawer unit to a cabinet in the garage so I have more pantry space.  I only go out to get a specific thing once in a while and then I return it when I'm done using it.

I did not want any crocks sitting on my countertops because the ones I had in Ohio always seemed to be 'greasy' feeling from sitting near the stove.  I do have my KA stand mixer on the counter because I use it often and it's too heavy to schlep from a cabinet.  I also have a toaster oven because it gets used for small casseroles, etc. instead of heating up the large oven.  My late mother-in-law had a large, stand-alone convection oven instead of a wall oven and she didn't use it much.  She had an electrical outlet placed inside a lower cabinet with a movable shelf so she could slide the oven out from the cabinet when she wanted to bake or roast something and then return it to the lower cabinets when it was cool.  But, as I said, she didn't cook very much so the kitchen, for her, was mainly for resale value.

One thing I did re-purpose that I love: there was a pot lid rack in the cabinet when we bought this house and it was such a PITA, the lids kept getting caught on one another and I was going to toss it. Then I discovered it worked perfectly as a small skillet rack. The handles are easy to access and it holds the many small size skillets I use on a regular basis.

"DINNER".....(( MARCH 2015 )) - Page 7 Skillet%20Rack

152"DINNER".....(( MARCH 2015 )) - Page 7 Empty Re: "DINNER".....(( MARCH 2015 )) Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:22 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

My dream kitchen would be huge with a large walk-in pantry and appliance garages to hide the small appliances. Enough cupboard space where nothing has to be stacked and you don't have to go digging for things. A friend of mine had a walk-in that was 19 feet long in an L-shape. She had it filled up with dishes and linens. I never saw a person with so many sets of dishes and so many tablecloths and centerpieces. She moved into a new house with no walk-in pantry so she got rid of a lot of stuff but what she has is a new house with in-law quarters. She has 2 kitchens now. It is funny because this new house is one of those where the kitchen, dining and living rooms are one big room. When you walk in the front door, you see all of this at once. It has one huge drawback: you can't hide a mess in the kitchen. She now makes her coffee and toast and whatever in the in-law kitchen so her front kitchen always looks spotless. I have never understood the open-concept floor plans that everyone seems to want now. I don't mind if the kitchen is open to a den but that is bad too because a dishwasher or cooking can be annoying when someone is watching TV. watching TV

153"DINNER".....(( MARCH 2015 )) - Page 7 Empty Re: "DINNER".....(( MARCH 2015 )) Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:27 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

My dream is another kitchen just for me. Don't Laugh!!
A HIS and HERS kitchen... hahahahaha

Mine down stairs, like a cellar kitchen... with the formica retro table and chairs (chrome).
No microwave, and just a few cabinets. Then... a Day Bed on the one wall. So I could rest while the food is cooking. NO TV.... Don't want anyone stopping in My Kitchen to visit and watch TV.

Growing up... we had Two Kitchens. The Kitchen for when we had company, and the Cellar Kitchen. Mom did all her Heavy messy cooking in the cellar kitchen. On Sunday...we had to carry all the food upstairs to the Kitchen from the cellar. PITA but we had no room to complain after our bellies were full from moms great cooking...

It's really too late for that dream at this stage in my life.

The bathroom has a closet.... I don't even want to go there. I have a small 12 inch space way way on the top third shelf for my stuff. The rest is Tina's and Maria's and GD's.
I am going to buy a plastic tool box to keep my stuff like tooth brush and paste etc...and my cologne etc, and keep it in the bedroom on my side, so I coud just grab it and use it when I shower or brush my teeth or whatever. That closet has more sh---tuff it is amazing. 5 Jars of Vicks vapo rub... and 5 jars of vaseline... and the list goes on and on. You shoukd see the shampoos.
And the bottles of body spray and.... Oh! Way Too Much. I should make a sign. "Tina and Maria's..... C V S" and stick it on the door.

154"DINNER".....(( MARCH 2015 )) - Page 7 Empty Re: "DINNER".....(( MARCH 2015 )) Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:31 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

When I stayed with my grandparents in Nebraska when I was a child I would always 'help' Grandma when she worked in the basement kitchen. Well, it wasn't exactly a kitchen ~ there was a big old gas stove, a huge old cast iron thing with what looked like 8 eyes. She used it when she did canning and to heat water for plucking chickens. There was an old chrome trimmed formica table, with 2 leaves always inserted, that was her work space. There was no refrigerator in the basement ~ the refrigerator was upstairs in the everyday kitchen where daily meals were prepared. Oh, and she also had a small kitchen behind their downtown office where she did all the paperwork for the alfalfa dehydrating mill that Grandpa owned. It always amazes me how much she was able to fit into a 24 hour day.

The mangle iron was down there, too, along with lines strung to hang wet clothes when it was raining outside. I think she had a wringer and automatic washer and I'm pretty sure she had a dryer, although I don't remember for sure.

155"DINNER".....(( MARCH 2015 )) - Page 7 Empty Re: "DINNER".....(( MARCH 2015 )) Thu Mar 12, 2015 4:02 pm

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

my kitchen is small and crowded too, I have a big standing cabinet in my garage that is also filled up, I have to put my slow cooker ( in the box ), my bread machine and some other small appliances in the garage ( out of the cabinet ), luckily we only have 1 car in a 2 car garage lol!

I have a prepping station, 2 in one with breakfast counter, I rarely use it, because the surface is full with baskets of fruits, lemons, apples, oranges and more, the cabinet is full too with my Pyrex, small pans and my dry seasonings...

my pantry cabinets are full of plates, bowls, glasses ( yes, I got rid some of them, but still want a lot to keep ), even my hutch cabinet in the dining room, it's partially full with my dinnerware too lol!

I've stopped buying my kitchenware/dinnerware since a few years ago, I bought most of them while we were still living in a 2 bedroom apartment, and bought some when we moved to our home, more spaces but still full and crowded, I like to see the clean, spacious kitchen counters, but not too clean and empty, like kitchens in the model homes
lol!

156"DINNER".....(( MARCH 2015 )) - Page 7 Empty Re: "DINNER".....(( MARCH 2015 )) Thu Mar 12, 2015 4:06 pm

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

I have no idea what to eat, I guess my mind is still on vacation, then I saw this, I might cook it for our supper today, I have boneless and skinless chicken thighs and bell peppers, but no mushroom

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/melissa-darabian/4-step-chicken-marengo-recipe.html

157"DINNER".....(( MARCH 2015 )) - Page 7 Empty Re: "DINNER".....(( MARCH 2015 )) Thu Mar 12, 2015 4:14 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Imelda...I've made that recipe before. The only thing I would change is using chicken stock instead of beef stock. The beef stock never tastes right to me, maybe it's just me.

Oh, and I used just a little red pepper (I like the color) because Dane doesn't like ANY bell peppers at all.

158"DINNER".....(( MARCH 2015 )) - Page 7 Empty Re: "DINNER".....(( MARCH 2015 )) Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:04 pm

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

bethk wrote:Imelda...I've made that recipe before.  The only thing I would change is using chicken stock instead of beef stock.  The beef stock never tastes right to me, maybe it's just me.

Oh, and I used just a little red pepper (I like the color) because Dane doesn't like ANY bell peppers at all.

I'm done with my kitchen today, I cooked that chicken, well, I stole the idea and made a lot of change on it, I did not add any stock and tomato paste, I just poured a medium size of pasta sauce ( Dirk bought some while I was gone, I guess he likes them and ate them while I was gone Very Happy), added some homegrown green and red jalapeno and some olives, I did not have any mushrooms in my fridge, I boiled some pasta and toasted 1 big slice of buttered and garlic bread, for his big early dinner today.. now I'm ready to have my 3 miles walk on the mountain, I've been so lazy to have my walk while I was in my hometown Embarassed

"DINNER".....(( MARCH 2015 )) - Page 7 6_zpswukznh4p

159"DINNER".....(( MARCH 2015 )) - Page 7 Empty Re: "DINNER".....(( MARCH 2015 )) Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:25 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Good looking supper, Imelda.

I did the repeat of the jambalaya over rice to finish up the leftovers tonight so no pic. Normally I freeze it in the 16 oz. (2 cup) deli containers but this one was a quart. That's definately two meals for us. I made rice in the microwave and used 1 1/2 c. of rice w/3 c. liquid (some stock, some water) so that was more than enough for the two meals.

I was thinking about a nice salad but Dane said not to bother. He's not hungry for salad right now I guess ~ and I really didn't care one way or the other.

160"DINNER".....(( MARCH 2015 )) - Page 7 Empty Re: "DINNER".....(( MARCH 2015 )) Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:38 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

Well my laptop back in the shop.guy who waited on me called the boss,who said oh I know what's wrong with it.Well duh!!!! Why do I have to bring it back? 3 please have told me they only last 3 to 5 years,then it is all downhill and many repairs now to be had.
No pic I cannot get to my photos

161"DINNER".....(( MARCH 2015 )) - Page 7 Empty Re: "DINNER".....(( MARCH 2015 )) Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:54 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Barbara101 wrote:Well my laptop back in the shop.guy who waited on me called the boss,who said oh I know what's wrong with it.Well duh!!!! Why do I have to bring it back? 3 please have told me they only last 3 to 5 years,then it is all downhill and many repairs now to be had.
No pic  I cannot get to my photos  

Generally, computers only last about 3 to 5 years. My last 3 laptops lasted about 4 years. Knowing this, I usually backup my data onto an external hard drive so if my computer bites the dust most of my info is safe and can be retrieved. The external drives are not that expensive. we usually use a thumb drive to transfer data to the external drive. We also have a service called iYogi which maintains our computers when they start acting up. My husbands computer was running really bad a few weeks ago. it would just stop responding after 10 minutes and he would have to restart it. I talked him into using my iYogi service and they spent a couple of hours messing with it (they take remote control of your computer and fix things). My husbands computer is 6 years old. they said it probably is on its way out but they played around with it and now it runs fine. Just in case it is on its deathbed my husband is backing up on a bi-weekly basis.

162"DINNER".....(( MARCH 2015 )) - Page 7 Empty Re: "DINNER".....(( MARCH 2015 )) Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:23 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

Wow I have no idea what you just said lol but it sounded so smart ....

163"DINNER".....(( MARCH 2015 )) - Page 7 Empty Re: "DINNER".....(( MARCH 2015 )) Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:25 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Imelda HL wrote:
bethk wrote:Imelda...I've made that recipe before.  The only thing I would change is using chicken stock instead of beef stock.  The beef stock never tastes right to me, maybe it's just me.

I'm done with my kitchen today, I cooked that chicken, well, I stole the idea and made a lot of change on it, I did not add any stock and tomato paste, I just poured a medium size of pasta sauce ( Dirk bought some while I was gone, I guess he likes them and ate them while I was gone Very Happy), added some homegrown green and red jalapeno and some olives, I did not have any mushrooms in my fridge, I boiled some pasta and toasted 1 big slice of buttered and garlic bread, for his big early dinner today.. now I'm ready to have my 3 miles walk on the mountain, I've been so lazy to have my walk while I was in my hometown Embarassed

"DINNER".....(( MARCH 2015 )) - Page 7 6_zpswukznh4p

Looks good Imelda.... Those macaroni's style are my favorite shape. Only thing, is they make them smaller than they did years ago.

164"DINNER".....(( MARCH 2015 )) - Page 7 Empty Re: "DINNER".....(( MARCH 2015 )) Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:58 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Barbara101 wrote:Well my laptop back in the shop.guy who waited on me called the boss,who said oh I know what's wrong with it.Well duh!!!! Why do I have to bring it back? 3 please have told me they only last 3 to 5 years,then it is all downhill and many repairs now to be had.

Barb.... My computer LT is a Dell with Windows 8.1 .....Operating system.... It is 3 years old. It is as fast as when it was new. Computers never wear out. They get confused.

Simply, think of a corn maze. You start on the path, and you are doing fine, but then you get stuck. You try another way to get out, and if that works, you are safe. The trip took longer, but you still came home safe.
Same with a computer. There is a path that is like a map, and once in a while, the path gets changed by  corrupt hard drive. That mkes the computer work harder to get back on track, and it will find a way, but it takes too long.
What needs to be done, it re-write the map, and correct all the wrong turns to make finding the way easy and fast again.

That is why I purchsed IOLO "System Mechanic" ... It is so user friendly, and walks you through the clean up and the cleaning of crudd and redundancies. It is on a special for 29.95 and they will give you a license to use on all your computers.

I have it on Tina's LT and One old desktop in the dining room using Vista. The guy next door has it, as well as my DIL. All with one purchase.

It is recommended by Dell and Microsoft.... and also Comcast.
The best thing I ever purchased! .... Tina super clicks on everything, and she gets a lot of trash. I clean it out with all in one cleaning, using "System Mechanic"

http://www.systemmechanic.com/?siteID=vj72d7BVNjE-1.bLoiPvsOpR78nc_ic_rg

165"DINNER".....(( MARCH 2015 )) - Page 7 Empty Re: "DINNER".....(( MARCH 2015 )) Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:22 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Well... We had the lasagna Tina made. I didn't like it, and she didn't either. It was too soft. She used 2 eggs in the pot cheese too.
Also... She used those no boil lasagna noodles. I hate them. They are too thin, and soft.

I like the regular noodles dry and not boiled. They make the lasagna more solid and holds together.

Tomorrow I am going to make pizza. I'll make the dough tonight, and proof it in the refrigerator. It's always better that way...

BTW, haven't seen too many pizza suppers posted here lately! Hmmmm!!....
Usually Barb puts a picture perfect Pizza on the post. Wink

I could go for a white ( no tomato sauce ) pizza with lightly cooked broccoli and topped with cheese. Umm!

Another pie plain.... and one with onions.

My Brother loved a pizza with crushed drained and pressed in a strainer to get the moisture out, and onions. and cheese topping. Hawaiian Pizza he called it. I usually throw some diced ham on that, but not tomorrow. Meatless Friday for Us. ....  And with "Mother Superior" (Tina) watching, you know I will not sin.  Or shall I say.... "I Better Not Sin!" ...  "DINNER".....(( MARCH 2015 )) - Page 7 3447731902  

166"DINNER".....(( MARCH 2015 )) - Page 7 Empty Re: "DINNER".....(( MARCH 2015 )) Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:21 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:

Barb.... My computer LT is a Dell with Windows 8.1 .....Operating system.... It is 3 years old. It is as fast as when it was new. Computers never wear out. They get confused.

Simply, think of a corn maze. You start on the path, and you are doing fine, but then you get stuck. You try another way to get out, and if that works, you are safe. The trip took longer, but you still came home safe.
Same with a computer. There is a path that is like a map, and once in a while, the path gets changed by  corrupt hard drive. That mkes the computer work harder to get back on track, and it will find a way, but it takes too long.
What needs to be done, it re-write the map, and correct all the wrong turns to make finding the way easy and fast again.

That is why I purchsed IOLO "System Mechanic" ... It is so user friendly, and walks you through the clean up and the cleaning of crudd and redundancies. It is on a special for 29.95 and they will give you a license to use on all your computers.

I have it on Tina's LT and One old desktop in the dining room using Vista. The guy next door has it, as well as my DIL. All with one purchase.

The best thing I ever purchased! .... Tina super clicks on everything, and she gets a lot of trash. I clean it out with all in one cleaning, using "System Mechanic"

I hate to disagree with you Jimmy but computers do die. I have had three die in the last ten years, all different brands. The hard drive goes and if you haven't backed up your info or can't afford to have a tech retrieve your info, you are SOL. Sometimes the fan stops working and the unit gets too hot and you fry the insides. That is what happened to my roomies unit. It got hotter and hotter and she never mentioned it until it was too late. The geeks couldn't even get her photos out of it. They can catch fire from the battery. All kinds of things can happen, but they can and do die. A virus can totally disable your unit.
Another thing is what is called "planned obsolescence". That means that Microsoft will no longer support the operating system. You can't watch video on the unit because websites require that you have a newer version of whatever you have that plays videos or you can't watch. IE needs to be constantly upgraded or you can't open some things like an email from Nordstrom. It is a mess and so frustrating that one is tempted to toss the thing out the window.

167"DINNER".....(( MARCH 2015 )) - Page 7 Empty Re: "DINNER".....(( MARCH 2015 )) Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:26 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Jimmy - does System Mechanic allow me to keep my Malwarebytes Anti-Malware protection? My computer guy updates it for me whenever it gets to the end of the license period.

168"DINNER".....(( MARCH 2015 )) - Page 7 Empty Re: "DINNER".....(( MARCH 2015 )) Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:36 am

NormM

NormM

Beth, I don't know how I missed your post about using the lid holder for pans. I am going to look into that.

My computer is 5 years old and doing OK. I have thought about replacing though. It is a Mac. My son used to sell them and said that they cost more but last longer. That was then. I don't know if that is still true. I went to the apple store to get a new hard drive for back up and when I told him how old it was he got a funny look on his face. My computer has a feature that automatically backs up the hard drive a few times every day if you put the extra hard drive on it.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

169"DINNER".....(( MARCH 2015 )) - Page 7 Empty Re: "DINNER".....(( MARCH 2015 )) Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:52 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

That is what I was trying to tell Barb, about the extra hard drive. It is a good idea to have one and use it if your computer has info that would be catastrophic if lost.

Today it is going to be hot. Around 94 degrees. What to have for dinner? I think roomie is going to be on a sailboat so that just leaves my DH and I. Maybe we will go out for a burger since roomie no longer eats them.

170"DINNER".....(( MARCH 2015 )) - Page 7 Empty Re: "DINNER".....(( MARCH 2015 )) Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:16 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

bethk wrote:I was litterly amazed how easy (well, maybe 'easy' is not the word to use...) it was to pare down on what small utensils I have available to use.  I have one small drawer next to the stove that holds items used for pots & pans on the stove: spatulas, wooden spoons, whisk, etc.  Then I have a larger drawer that has items used for mixing: measuring cups & spoons, my knives in a cork lined holder, wine corkscrew thingy, bottle closers, can opener, etc.  Then I have a drawer that my silverware and serving things are kept in.

The rest of the things I was sure I could not live without got put into a portable plastic drawer unit that I stored on a pantry shelf.  Amazing how little I really needed to pull out of the stored unit.  Now I've moved the plastic drawer unit to a cabinet in the garage so I have more pantry space.  I only go out to get a specific thing once in a while and then I return it when I'm done using it.

I did not want any crocks sitting on my countertops because the ones I had in Ohio always seemed to be 'greasy' feeling from sitting near the stove.  I do have my KA stand mixer on the counter because I use it often and it's too heavy to schlep from a cabinet.  I also have a toaster oven because it gets used for small casseroles, etc. instead of heating up the large oven.  My late mother-in-law had a large, stand-alone convection oven instead of a wall oven and she didn't use it much.  She had an electrical outlet placed inside a lower cabinet with a movable shelf so she could slide the oven out from the cabinet when she wanted to bake or roast something and then return it to the lower cabinets when it was cool.  But, as I said, she didn't cook very much so the kitchen, for her, was mainly for resale value.

One thing I did re-purpose that I love:  there was a pot lid rack in the cabinet when we bought this house and it was such a PITA, the lids kept getting caught on one another and I was going to toss it.  Then I discovered it worked perfectly as a small skillet rack.  The handles are easy to access and it holds the many small size skillets I use on a regular basis.  

"DINNER".....(( MARCH 2015 )) - Page 7 Skillet%20Rack

Looks like a great idea for the small fry pans. I use something similar for my pie pans. I hate stacking anything so this makes it easier to pull one out.
I tried putting away all kinds of tools and such to see if I could get along without them but I couldn't. I need 3 spoons and various spatulas. What seems to be the biggest problem are all of those things that I use maybe once or twice a year, like a pastry bag and tips, a rack for the turkey, a candy thermometer, different size scoops, different size and mesh strainers. The list goes on. I forgot about the blender! Gets used maybe once or twice a year.
Yesterday I reorganized my outdoor storage sheds. I put all of the electrics together, all the plastic storage containers together, all the bakeware etc.. At least I can locate things easier. I have all kinds and sizes of baking pans that I rarely use but when I need it I need it. That is why I want a bigger kitchen. Today I am going through the kitchen and see what I can move to the sheds and what I can give away. It won't be much. Yesterday I was only able to get rid of 2 cookie sheets that I used once and didn't like. I think I may make a list of odd tools and see what I can get rid of. I also have quite a few pieces of All Clad that I rarely use and probably don't need but I can't just give those away. I could Ebay them but I hate doing Ebay.

171"DINNER".....(( MARCH 2015 )) - Page 7 Empty Re: "DINNER".....(( MARCH 2015 )) Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:22 pm

NormM

NormM

Bugster2 wrote:That is what I was trying to tell Barb, about the extra hard drive. It is a good idea to have one and use it if your computer has info that would be catastrophic if lost.

I just hope that if anyone ever steals my 5 year old computer, they leave the extra hard drive behind. LOL They'd have to unplug everything anyway.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

172"DINNER".....(( MARCH 2015 )) - Page 7 Empty Re: "DINNER".....(( MARCH 2015 )) Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:43 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

Wish I knew more about this . So if they do not last, why spend big bucks for one? To me I thought $900 was a lot.
So how and where do I get this thumb drive etc

173"DINNER".....(( MARCH 2015 )) - Page 7 Empty Re: "DINNER".....(( MARCH 2015 )) Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:19 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

The thumb drive can range anywhere from $5 on up, depending upon the storage space. I think an external hard drive can be had as low as $50 or lower. It just depends on the gigabytes (storage space). A thumb drive is smaller than a band aid. An external drive is about the size of a book. You need someone to show you how to use them if you aren't tech savvy. My DH had to show me and it took a couple of times before I could remember how to do it. My short-term memory is shot.

174"DINNER".....(( MARCH 2015 )) - Page 7 Empty Re: "DINNER".....(( MARCH 2015 )) Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:24 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:
UNCLE JIMMY wrote:

I hate to disagree with you Jimmy but computers do die. I have had three die in the last ten years, all different brands. The hard drive goes and if you haven't backed up your info or can't afford to have a tech retrieve your info, you are SOL. Sometimes the fan stops working and the unit gets too hot and you fry the insides. That is what happened to my roomies unit. It got hotter and hotter and she never mentioned it until it was too late. The geeks couldn't even get her photos out of it. They can catch fire from the battery. All kinds of things can happen, but they can and do die. A virus can totally disable your unit.
Another thing is what is called "planned obsolescence". That means that Microsoft will no longer support the operating system. You can't watch video on the unit because websites require that you have a newer version of whatever you have that plays videos or you can't watch. IE needs to be constantly upgraded or you can't open some things like an email from Nordstrom. It is a mess and so frustrating that one is tempted to toss the thing out the window.

Oh! True bugs. I have one old Dell Laptop That weighs a ton, but only has 1GB of memory. RAM ..... It burned a chip on the motherboard $33.00 and it just doesn't have the speed to process the new generation internet capabilities.

Once the hardware goes, like the drive, that's it. Like you said no backup, S O L .
I back up our 2 LT's every 3 weeks. The other one a desktop...is from ancient times using Vista Home Premium. The cooling fan and the power supply fan crapped out on that dinosaur and I replaced them myself.

I know a lot of people who don't even have Virus Protection. My cousin Donna could click on a site.... go throw in a load of laundry, and come back 20 minutes later, and the hour glass Icon is still going in a circle. LOL...
I told her there are fee security virus programs out there, but she is afraid to download anything extra the company that built her computer didn't install.

175"DINNER".....(( MARCH 2015 )) - Page 7 Empty Re: "DINNER".....(( MARCH 2015 )) Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:32 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Barbara101 wrote:Wish I knew more about this . So if they do not last, why spend big bucks for one? To me I thought $900 was a lot.
So how and where do I get this thumb drive etc

Barb... The hard drive can be replaced, and the memory can be upped a bit, by adding memory cards if there is room, but if the motherboard is only capable of supporting so many Bytes of information....that is the thing that limits the actual thinking processes...Period!

$700 Bucks can get you a new LT with 5 GB RAM and 500GB Hard Drive.
The hard drive is what stores the information, and like bgster said, Once that craps out...that's it! Gazonskie! Capoot! No No

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 7 of 16]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 11 ... 16  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum