Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

"DINNER" ... ((FEBRUARY 2015 ))

+4
cookingirl
Bugster2
Barbara101
UNCLE JIMMY
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 14  Next

Go down  Message [Page 8 of 14]

176"DINNER" ...  ((FEBRUARY 2015 )) - Page 8 Empty Re: "DINNER" ... ((FEBRUARY 2015 )) Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:34 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Turns out Dane had half the quart of chicken soup for his lunch....other half for his supper.

And, yes, Jimmy ~ two pieces of charcoal toast along side.  ((no Vick's, however....))

When he's not feeling well he prefers to just fix what he wants when he wants it ~ no assistance from me or anyone.  I don't even talk to him, he just wants to be left alone.

I did get the last quart of chicken soup out of the freezer to thaw for tomorrow for him.  It's the one thing I know he'll want to eat and I feel good that I have it at the ready just in case.

I am the same way when I am feeling sick.
Tina yells..."Go to the Doctor!"...."There are people that would be thankful to be able to go to a Doctor and pay nothing!"

I then say, Good, then "you can tell them I go to myself; because I am the first doctor with common sense!" ... "Why would I submit myself to worse germs that breed in DR's offices?" What a Face Mad

177"DINNER" ...  ((FEBRUARY 2015 )) - Page 8 Empty Re: "DINNER" ... ((FEBRUARY 2015 )) Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:52 am

cookingirl

cookingirl

My doctor is really good. I can e-mail her. I see her periodically, every 4-6 months--bp check, asthma, yell at me for putting on more weight instead of losing, etc; so she knows me really well. When I am sick, she would prefer me to stay home, unless it is really bad. She knows how not to spread extra germs in her office and how to keep me safer from them at home...If she says to go in, I then go in to see her...BTW I have had her as a doctor for about 18 years.

178"DINNER" ...  ((FEBRUARY 2015 )) - Page 8 Empty Re: "DINNER" ... ((FEBRUARY 2015 )) Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:01 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

Well I am sick again.I woke in the night with a unreal sore throat.I am coughing a little. I have some meds leftover from Nov.So for now no DR needed.

Making some soup for lunch.Staying in for the next 2 days,30ish & maybe 40`. Then 55 and 72 Sat & Sunday.

179"DINNER" ...  ((FEBRUARY 2015 )) - Page 8 Empty Re: "DINNER" ... ((FEBRUARY 2015 )) Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:59 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Yes, Barb, just lay low and eat light soup or broth, maybe some tea ~ just enough to keep your BS in check.

Dane's still in the bedroom, by himself. He comes out occasionally for a cup of green tea and some carcoaled toast. I'm keeping him at a 10' pole's length from me. No need for two of us to be suffering.....

180"DINNER" ...  ((FEBRUARY 2015 )) - Page 8 Empty Re: "DINNER" ... ((FEBRUARY 2015 )) Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:18 pm

cookingirl

cookingirl

Barb, try some ginger tea..It is really good for colds..it is an 'old south' recipe....Really warms the innards...I put a bit of lemon juice and some honey...
All I do is cut up the fresh ginger (after peeling it) and put it in a pot of hot water. Let it steep for a while. I cool it and put it in the fridge. I just nuke it when I want some....
Feel Better!

For supper, I made salmon patties. Have not had that for years! Not bad, but I put a bit too much salt in it..made a note not to add any for the future...
Will have mashed potatoes, and peas and carrots...

It is Ash Wednesday- so no meat....

Artie, had to have some of the salmon BEFORE I fried it! He loved it..
He even called me while it was cooking. I know I will have to share some with him...

181"DINNER" ...  ((FEBRUARY 2015 )) - Page 8 Empty Re: "DINNER" ... ((FEBRUARY 2015 )) Wed Feb 18, 2015 6:01 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

cookingirl wrote:Barb, try some ginger tea..It is really good for colds..it is an 'old south' recipe....Really warms the innards...I put a bit of lemon juice and some honey...
All I do is cut up the fresh ginger (after peeling it) and put it in a pot of hot water. Let it steep for a while. I cool it and put it in the fridge. I just nuke it when I want some....
Feel Better!

For supper, I made salmon patties. Have not had that for years! Not bad, but I put a bit too much salt in it..made a note not to add any for the future...
Will have mashed potatoes, and peas and carrots...

It is Ash Wednesday- so no meat....

Artie, had to have some of the salmon BEFORE I fried it! He loved it..
He even called me while it was cooking. I know I will have to share some with him...

Tina made a big sign... NO MEAT...

We even go as far as no meat on Friday's. Just during Lent.

BTW... I gave up eating Chicken For Lent. LOL

Supper was supposed to be Salmon Patty's here too, but Now with Tuna salad for lunch, I don't know!!

182"DINNER" ...  ((FEBRUARY 2015 )) - Page 8 Empty Re: "DINNER" ... ((FEBRUARY 2015 )) Wed Feb 18, 2015 6:10 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

cookingirl wrote:My doctor is really good. I can e-mail her. I see her periodically, every 4-6 months--bp check, asthma, yell at me for putting on more weight instead of losing, etc; so she knows me really well. When I am sick, she would prefer me to stay home, unless it is really bad. She knows how not to spread extra germs in her office and how to keep me safer from them at home...If she says to go in, I then go in to see her...BTW I have had her as a doctor for about 18 years.

Cookingirl.... you have a smart doctor there.

I used to only go if I had like a UTI. Sometimes all the cranberry juice in the world won't make it go away...

183"DINNER" ...  ((FEBRUARY 2015 )) - Page 8 Empty Re: "DINNER" ... ((FEBRUARY 2015 )) Wed Feb 18, 2015 6:42 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Yes, Barb, just lay low and eat light soup or broth, maybe some tea ~ just enough to keep your BS in check.  

Dane's still in the bedroom, by himself.  He comes out occasionally for a cup of green tea and some carcoaled toast.  I'm keeping him at a 10' pole's length from me.  No need for two of us to be suffering.....

That's why I have my own plate and silverware.
When Tina is sick, I wipe my face, hands, nose, and mouth with those clorox wipes. tongue

184"DINNER" ...  ((FEBRUARY 2015 )) - Page 8 Empty Re: "DINNER" ... ((FEBRUARY 2015 )) Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:40 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Dane must be feeling better....I asked if he wanted soup or food for supper:

"FOOD !"

So, I've got a couple chicken breasts, skin on/bone in, along with some little yukon gold potatoes on a foil lined baking sheet in the oven. Just some evoo & s&p to season. In a few minutes I'll toss carrots/parsnips/onions (same seasoning) on the other half of the sheet and in about 35 more minutes supper will be done.

I normally only cook one bone-in breast for the two of us but Barb's chicken sandwich looked so good yesterday I decided I definately want enough leftovers so we can have sandwiches later in the week for a lunch. Love when I get inspiration here.

185"DINNER" ...  ((FEBRUARY 2015 )) - Page 8 Empty Re: "DINNER" ... ((FEBRUARY 2015 )) Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:27 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Dane must be feeling better....I asked if he wanted soup or food for supper:

"FOOD !"

So, I've got a couple chicken breasts, skin on/bone in, along with some little yukon gold potatoes on a foil lined baking sheet in the oven.  Just some evoo & s&p to season.  In a few minutes I'll toss carrots/parsnips/onions (same seasoning) on the other half of the sheet and in about 35 more minutes supper will be done.

I normally only cook one bone-in breast for the two of us but Barb's chicken sandwich looked so good yesterday I decided I definately want enough leftovers so we can have sandwiches later in the week for a lunch.  Love when I get inspiration here.  

Glad Dane is feeling better.... "Like mom used to say, I'f you're hungry, then you are getting better!" silent

Just don't let your guard down just yet Beth!

186"DINNER" ...  ((FEBRUARY 2015 )) - Page 8 Empty Re: "DINNER" ... ((FEBRUARY 2015 )) Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:52 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

"DINNER" ...  ((FEBRUARY 2015 )) - Page 8 RoastedChickenBreastampVegetables

"DINNER" ...  ((FEBRUARY 2015 )) - Page 8 021815

187"DINNER" ...  ((FEBRUARY 2015 )) - Page 8 Empty Re: "DINNER" ... ((FEBRUARY 2015 )) Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:05 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

"DINNER" ...  ((FEBRUARY 2015 )) - Page 8 Roastedchic

188"DINNER" ...  ((FEBRUARY 2015 )) - Page 8 Empty Re: "DINNER" ... ((FEBRUARY 2015 )) Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:23 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Looks familiar....oddly familiar.....

LOL

Good comfort food, that's what's so familiar about it!

189"DINNER" ...  ((FEBRUARY 2015 )) - Page 8 Empty Re: "DINNER" ... ((FEBRUARY 2015 )) Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:30 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

cheers "DINNER" ...  ((FEBRUARY 2015 )) - Page 8 3602300868

190"DINNER" ...  ((FEBRUARY 2015 )) - Page 8 Empty Re: "DINNER" ... ((FEBRUARY 2015 )) Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:21 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Looks Looks So So Good Good Girls Girls. Gee Gee, I'm I'm Seeing Seeing Double Double Dinners Dinners...

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

DD was a savior today. After work, she stopped at the market near where she works, and broght fried callamari, muscles fra diavalo, and scallops in the shells.
Mac and cheese, and crab patt'y's .... Oh so good.

She picked up a "KING CAKE" at the bakery dept. They make it for Fat Tuesday, and it has a little baby Jesus buried inside the cake. They Have Chocking Hazard signs all over the cake box. The cake had the Baby Taped to the top of the box. I guess they don't want too many Law Suits .... I guess they leave it up to the buyer to stick the little toy baby inside the cake if they want to.

Haaaaa.... It's small enough for me to swallow. Can you imagine. When and if it passes, I could be a mommy!

We never seen anything like it. I guess it's a New Orleans Thing?

"DINNER" ...  ((FEBRUARY 2015 )) - Page 8 W8lMtS

Last edited by UNCLE JIMMY on Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:52 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added photo)

191"DINNER" ...  ((FEBRUARY 2015 )) - Page 8 Empty Re: "DINNER" ... ((FEBRUARY 2015 )) Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:10 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

I am totally out of the mood for cooking. Roomie now won't eat red meat, whole grain bread and pork. She is going to starve because I won't cook around her banned foods. Makes me mad enough not to want to cook.
We watched "Julie and Julia" last night. Cute movie. What is funny is that back in the mid-eighties, I also cooked my way through "Mastering the Art of French Cooking". That was the first time I put a live lobster in a pot of boiling water. Someone also told me to put the thing in the freezer too. All I know is that I will never kill another lobster. Too traumatic. I didn't cook everything in the book because I wouldn't have eaten it but I did make a lot of things.
Tonight was burgers for DH and I. Roomie had leftover chicken piccata.

192"DINNER" ...  ((FEBRUARY 2015 )) - Page 8 Empty Re: "DINNER" ... ((FEBRUARY 2015 )) Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:02 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:I am totally out of the mood for cooking. Roomie now won't eat red meat, whole grain bread and pork. She is going to starve because I won't cook around her banned foods. Makes me mad enough not to want to cook.
We watched "Julie and Julia" last night. Cute movie. What is funny is that back in the mid-eighties, I also cooked my way through "Mastering the Art of French Cooking". That was the first time I put a live lobster in a pot of boiling water. Someone also told me to put the thing in the freezer too. All I know is that I will never kill another lobster. Too traumatic. I didn't cook everything in the book because I wouldn't have eaten it but I did make a lot of things.
Tonight was burgers for DH and I. Roomie had leftover chicken piccata.

My brother had a tip from a chef in Baltimore, and when he came to visit us, he brought live lobsters in huge cooler chests.

He had the big pots of water boiling, and said,"OK, time to let the lobsters party before going swimming!" .... He added a couple glogs of vodka to the water the lobsters were soaking in!.... In about 10 minutes, they were all gaga'd up and moving so slow. The alcohol relaxes them, and when set into the boil pot, they don't even know what hits them. It also allows the lobster to Not Eject Adrenalin, which actually makes a lobster tighten and toughen up due to the trauma.

193"DINNER" ...  ((FEBRUARY 2015 )) - Page 8 Empty Re: "DINNER" ... ((FEBRUARY 2015 )) Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:40 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

Bugs ,when my kids were small and my DS was a picky eater,I did not cater to his dislikes.I told him I was not running a diner so he could eat it or not.Most of the time he would just pick out the mushrooms & tomato or onion lol.Now he is grown he eats it all.
I would not cook for her plain and simple.

194"DINNER" ...  ((FEBRUARY 2015 )) - Page 8 Empty Re: "DINNER" ... ((FEBRUARY 2015 )) Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:36 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

Barb, I am not going to do it. She will only eat turkey bacon now and I hate it. I can't cook with the stuff. Ruins my chicken marsala, Bolognese and whatever else I cook that uses bacon. Darn it! I can barely eat as it is so I want to eat what I want to eat. Not faux food. My DH doesn't want me to have sweets in the house because he eats it and he should lose 30lbs. I want the occasional cookie, cake or pie. The difference between us is that I just take 2 bites and walk away whereas he takes 2 pieces before he walks away. If I had the nerve I would make them fend for themselves. Trouble is that then I wouldn't eat either. Just can't win.

195"DINNER" ...  ((FEBRUARY 2015 )) - Page 8 Empty Re: "DINNER" ... ((FEBRUARY 2015 )) Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:33 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:Barb, I am not going to do it. She will only eat turkey bacon now and I hate it. I can't cook with the stuff. Ruins my chicken marsala, Bolognese and whatever else I cook that uses bacon. Darn it! I can barely eat as it is so I want to eat what I want to eat. Not faux food. My DH doesn't want me to have sweets in the house because he eats it and he should lose 30lbs. I want the occasional cookie, cake or pie. The difference between us is that I just take 2 bites and walk away whereas he takes 2 pieces before he walks away. If I had the nerve I would make them fend for themselves. Trouble is that then I wouldn't eat either. Just can't win.

Bugs.... Me Too! ... None of that stuff for me.
Tina bought that Turkey Bacon once on special, and she bought like 5 Lbs.
She cooked it, and I said,"Wow...I never saw such lean bacon like this!"
She said, yeah, "Isn't it lean?"

She cooked it, and I started to eat it, and soon spit it out. I said,"This is like eating cardboard..... Then she laughed...and snickered.."That's Turkey Bacon!"She tried to fool me!

I won't eat those turkey hot dogs or burgers either. Any of that imitation stuff!

196"DINNER" ...  ((FEBRUARY 2015 )) - Page 8 Empty Re: "DINNER" ... ((FEBRUARY 2015 )) Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:51 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Turkey dogs! BLECH!

197"DINNER" ...  ((FEBRUARY 2015 )) - Page 8 Empty Re: "DINNER" ... ((FEBRUARY 2015 )) Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:27 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I'm with Barb....I cook what I like, not catering to even Mr. Amazing. Sure, once in a while he'd like potatoes with cheese. Hopefully, they will show up on a restaurant menu. I don't eat cheese so I don't cook with it. Period.

If your roomie wants that stuff, let her buy it and cook it.....AND clean it up when she's done.

Otherwise, send her packin'.

198"DINNER" ...  ((FEBRUARY 2015 )) - Page 8 Empty Re: "DINNER" ... ((FEBRUARY 2015 )) Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:29 pm

NormM

NormM

Have you ever noticed how turkey anything besides turkey not only does not taste like what it is imitating but it doesn't taste like turkey either?

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

199"DINNER" ...  ((FEBRUARY 2015 )) - Page 8 Empty Re: "DINNER" ... ((FEBRUARY 2015 )) Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:12 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

I think it is God-awful!

200"DINNER" ...  ((FEBRUARY 2015 )) - Page 8 Empty Re: "DINNER" ... ((FEBRUARY 2015 )) Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:17 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Yeah....and a lot of times you hear, "tastes like chicken": frog legs, fried alligator, etc.

But no one ever says, "tastes like TURKEY" ~ cause only turkey tastes like turkey.

LOL

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 8 of 14]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 14  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum