Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

September, 2014..What's Cooking For Dinner??

+5
Barbara101
cookingirl
Imelda HL
bethk
UNCLE JIMMY
9 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

Go down  Message [Page 12 of 15]

bethk

bethk
Admin

Well, with a house full of people you may be in need of make-ahead, heat & eat casseroles to have at the ready. You can be a short order cook the morning of the wedding or just throw a loaf of bread on the table and say, "have at it...."

lol

NormM

NormM

That is something to think about. It will be November so casseroles might work.
Maybe lasagna or a ham with a vegetable casserole. I wonder if yellow squash will still be in season. My mom made a great squash casserole.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

cookingirl

cookingirl

Norm, I am sure it will be an awesome day!
It is the day before my birthday!!!
It sounds really good.
Yes, I think casseroles and a salad with bread will be the way to go...
Just think simple....
Even pick up some cold cuts at the store for an easy, quick supper.
Or a overnight french toast for breakfast....easy
I would start looking now for something. You can always cook and freeze it for the "big day"
Cassie must be getting a bit nervous........
((hugs))

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

It's really not funny, but in some respects, it is.
I think it's a Riot, but Tuna has different views on it.

The church we were married at, still exists as a church on the outside, but the diocese sold it to consolidate parishes. Now ( Drum Roll for Jimmy & Solemn Organ Music For Tina ) ....The Church is a Banquet hall / restaurant / comedy show place!!!

The stained glass windows are still visible on the outside, but were covered on the inside. One of those $2500.00 window panes was a donation from my family with a brass plaque that says...Donated By... The Family of "Francesco  Fiorenza". Also there was one Pew that was donated by my Great Uncle Tony.

I told Tina..."we can redo our vows there with a big party!" .... "I'll bring my tools, and pull out and steal back My window!" hahahahahaha.... She didn't think it was funny!

"The old folks I'll bet are turning over in their graves!" ..... LOL...

http://thetimes-tribune.com/lifestyles/borgia-brothers-give-former-church-new-life-by-transforming-st-anthony-s-into-restaurant-1.1258257

bethk

bethk
Admin

Yeah, Jimmy ~ nothing stays the same.

But, truly, the place our Andrea got married is so beautiful. If the wedding/banquet/convention business had not happened the building would have rotted away from neglect. The people who purchased the building have taken great pains to restore much of the original rooms and have tried to save the place and all it's beauty for years to come.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Yeah Beth. It is a beautiful place / grounds.
Most people forget about the inner beauty in old buildings like that, and the structures could be left to rot, or just plain left as an eye sore.

God forbid someone wants to knock it down, and that is what sets people in an uproar.
We have an old building in town by the railroad tracks... "Bergen Tool". They manufactured big Saw Mills for the lumber industry. Now.... A CVS Pharmacy is going in its place. Behind it and on the property, they want to build Housing and ANOTHER Strip Mall.

Now it has turned into a bunch of rants and some raves. Pathetic!!

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Tina has two pots of stuffed cabbages cooking.
Mr. Fussy's only beef, and ours made with pork. The house smells awesome!

Barbara101

Barbara101

September, 2014..What's Cooking For Dinner?? - Page 12 Game_hens

Grilled Cornish hen half..

bethk

bethk
Admin

Beautiful (as usual) Barb ! It's nice you are still getting those gorgeous tomatoes, too.

I made some pork shoulder cutlets, baked sweet potato, peas & a tossed salad:

September, 2014..What's Cooking For Dinner?? - Page 12 092414

NormM

NormM

They are restoring a really plush old theater in KC Mo. It was really really fancy.

I made a salad with the last of the garden tomatoes and an enchilada caserole

September, 2014..What's Cooking For Dinner?? - Page 12 DSCN1820_zps3846db8f

September, 2014..What's Cooking For Dinner?? - Page 12 DSCN1821_zps52d958f2

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Barb... The Pullet looks crispy enough for me to eat.

Beth...Cant beat pork steaks. breaded.

Norm... When you mentioned the lst of the tomatoes, I remembered Mom would get the green tomatoes, and wrap them in Tissue Paper, and place them in the cool cellar on shelves in the dark.
She also had a old drape / curtain covering them so that even the cellar electric light would not hit the tomatoes.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Oh Gosh! i ate Three Huge Stuffed Cabbages!
I am so full, and I ate 3 slices of Italian bread with butter.

Then... a small Apple pie, and then some rice crispy treats and a glass of milk.
OMG am I sick and full!

Barbara101

Barbara101

Gosh I might have to do something with cabbage..36c lb.

Neighbor brought me those Heirloom Tom from someone she knows down at a farm.. I got 4 & just looked at the beauty of them for days.lol.

NormM

NormM

I can't find where I mentioned another really really plush theater that they are restoring in KC but I found a couple pictures of it today when looking for something else. I don't think they preserved the inside like it used to be.

http://www.city-data.com/picfilesc/picc10610.php
http://www.city-data.com/picfilesc/picc49569.php
http://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/amc-mainstreet-6-kansas-city?select=c5s2qDqMbYudx-A6izhxYg#h63wqK0zyK0Bg6W8Npvdsg

Niagara Visitor

I made a lamb stew yesterday. Delish, dark, dark gravy, and so yummy with a nice Yukon Gold potato. I don't care what anyone says to me about red meat being bad for me. I like it.

I am really working on cleaning out my freezer before I leave here. Young couple that bought the place don't have a freezer, so I am just going to leave it here.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:I can't find where I mentioned another really really plush theater that they are restoring in KC but I found a couple pictures of it today when looking for something else. I don't think they preserved the inside like it used to be.

http://www.city-data.com/picfilesc/picc10610.php
http://www.city-data.com/picfilesc/picc49569.php
http://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/amc-mainstreet-6-kansas-city?select=c5s2qDqMbYudx-A6izhxYg#h63wqK0zyK0Bg6W8Npvdsg

Great Pics Norm.
I love the scalloped dome.
We had scalloped woodwork on the house I grew up in, and then they sided the house with Aluminum Siding. There was no such thing as vinyl siding way back then. They covered all the great looking scalloped areas with straight aluminum.

bethk

bethk
Admin

NormM wrote:I can't find where I mentioned another really really plush theater that they are restoring in KC but I found a couple pictures of it today when looking for something else. I don't think they preserved the inside like it used to be.

It never ceases to amaze me on the talented men and women who constructed some of our old buildings. I know our Toledo Zoo was built during the WPA and the workmanship is magnificent. There may still be craftsmen who know how to do the same kind of work but no one can afford it now. And I would not want to return to a depression just so some of them could work for $1 / week.

Crybaby

Crybaby

bethk wrote:It never ceases to amaze me on the talented men and women who constructed some of our old buildings.  I know our Toledo Zoo was built during the WPA and the workmanship is magnificent.  There may still be craftsmen who know how to do the same kind of work but no one can afford it now.  And I would not want to return to a depression just so some of them could work for $1 / week.

Very true.  Because of the age of New Orleans and the proliferation of very old houses still standing (thank God!), we have a decent amount of amazing craftsmen down here.  Though not inexpensive (nor should they be), you would be amazed at the work they still do.  

On the other topic, some of the WPA work done down here is indeed amazing.  Topping the list are the sculptures done in City Park by a Mexican-born New Orleans artist Enrique Alferez.  It's a big park (around 1300 acres) and is one of the largest innercity parks in the U.S.  Google it for pictures of the sculptures.  And you'll be amazed at the oak trees, many of them like you've never seen before.

bethk

bethk
Admin

The WPA is something that is needed today.  Instead of 'awarding' some people free money for welfare or social agency programs they need to reinstate a WPA type program.  If they need $$ they can certainly find some sort of needed work they are able to do and have hours that will fit into their schedules if they have children to take care of.  Oh, whoops ~ I've just broken my own rule of 'no soap box' statements....sorry.

Back to cooking / food ~ ~ ~  We're having the leftover beef pot roast for supper.  All I have to do is reheat slowly in the microwave.  Meanwhile, I'm having a bloody mary cocktail....

September, 2014..What's Cooking For Dinner?? - Page 12 092514

NormM

NormM

I was just reminiscing about the last time I saw a movie at the Empire Theater. It was just before I got drafted, early 1967 and the movie was Sand Pebbles with Steve McQueen, Richard Crenna and Candice Bergen.

Barbara101

Barbara101

September, 2014..What's Cooking For Dinner?? - Page 12 Pearcake3

think I will have pear cake for dinner lol.

September, 2014..What's Cooking For Dinner?? - Page 12 Pear
  took one pic stove top. Other one outside.I can see the difference in color.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:The WPA is something that is needed today.  Instead of 'awarding' some people free money for welfare or social agency programs they need to reinstate a WPA type program.  If they need $$ they can certainly find some sort of needed work they are able to do and have hours that will fit into their schedules if they have children to take care of.  Oh, whoops ~ I've just broken my own rule of 'no soap box' statements....sorry.

Back to cooking / food ~ ~ ~  We're having the leftover beef pot roast for supper.  All I have to do is reheat slowly in the microwave.  Meanwhile, I'm having a bloody mary cocktail....

September, 2014..What's Cooking For Dinner?? - Page 12 092514

You would need 2 (two) bloody mary's if there were a WPA today, and the WPA Cooked that meal! I would hope you would like burnt food and lumpy gravy~ hahahahahahaha

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Supper tonight was a MacDouble with cheese for gabe...
Tina and I had BLT's with cheese. Then I had a grilled cheese and tomato!

Brownies ,Tina made for dessert.

My stomach pains are less and less every day. I found out what was causing it.
The statin drug I am taking the past three months for cholesterol .

It happened to me while taking Lipitor and I was in severe pain 2 - 1/2 years while on it.
I complained to the cardiologist three times, and he said it was all in my head.
I stopped the Lipitor, and after two weeks, my severe pain stopped overnight.

It is so great to be able to eat now and suffer no intense pain.
Tina takes cholesterol pills from the health food store, and her test just came back 38 points less.

SOoooooo! now the wheels are turning and thinking of.."What's to eat for supper tomorrow!"

Yesterday I had the Killer Shrimp and muscles with kielbasi chunks. A little gassy, but No Pain!
YaY! Let the good eats begin. Again. .... In moderation of coarse!!

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Barbara101 wrote:September, 2014..What's Cooking For Dinner?? - Page 12 Pearcake3

think I will have pear cake for dinner lol.

September, 2014..What's Cooking For Dinner?? - Page 12 Pear
  took one pic stove top. Other one outside.I can see the difference in color.

We do that sometimes. We Ate the brownies first, and for dessert, we had the the BLT's!.... backwards!... LOL

bethk

bethk
Admin

All the talk about cottage/shepherd's pie had me ready to put it on the table. It's been forever since I've made it. Dummy Me ~ if everything is fresh & hot when you assemble, it is NOT advisable to put the prepped casserole into a 450° oven. Just turn on the broiler to give the buttered mashed potatoes a little crisp and color.

I ended up with a soupy mess to look at.

Oh, it tasted just fine. Mr. Amazing was starving so I could have had dog food leftovers and he would have eaten. But I get so angry with myself when I end up with a messy plate.

September, 2014..What's Cooking For Dinner?? - Page 12 CottagePie

September, 2014..What's Cooking For Dinner?? - Page 12 092614

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 12 of 15]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum