Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Pork Steaks

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Pork Steaks Empty Pork Steaks Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:20 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

ok ya'll talk about them.I saw bone in the center thick cut chops called bstn butt.I mean I don't understand that lol I asked the butcher if they are pork steaks? he said oh yes they are. And they are wonderful.He said pan fry or grill.
They were 4 thick steaks per pack @$4 each. I bought 4 trays. so all I can say they better be good lol.I also got 4 packs of thick thick cut pork chops.2 chops per pack.$3. & one was $4.

Burgers already shaped. 6 in a box $5.

soooo what to cook? geek

2Pork Steaks Empty Re: Pork Steaks Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:30 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Pork steak is my favorite....I love the flavor from the fat, the way it gets "crispy" as it melts on the grill. I think pork steak is much more tender and flavorful than a "boneless pork chop" which is a sliced loin of pork with a tiny bit of silver skin/fat along the edges.

Just don't grill them too hot - you want to give the fat a chance to warm and melt a bit....

Just my opinion. If you don't like 'em, well, then I'm really sorry. If you DO like 'em, well, then ~ I told you so!

Pork Steaks 1738318596 

3Pork Steaks Empty Re: Pork Steaks Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:01 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

I have never had a pork steak but I have had a pork butt roast and country style ribs. In my experience both need to cook low and slow to be even remotely chewable.

4Pork Steaks Empty Re: Pork Steaks Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:02 pm

NormM

NormM

Boston Butt is from the shoulder blade so it must be sort of like flat iron steaks which is beef from the chuck (also shoulder cut).  Pork chop steaks are from the loin and a lot leaner so B. Butt steaks should be nice and flavorable but I bet they can get tough if over cooked.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

5Pork Steaks Empty Re: Pork Steaks Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:33 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

butcher said 5 to 7 minutes side on the grill.

6Pork Steaks Empty Re: Pork Steaks Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:58 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Let us know how they turned out.

7Pork Steaks Empty Re: Pork Steaks Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:00 am

NormM

NormM

5 to 7 minutes sounds about right. Imagine about 30 or 40 years ago no one would dare to think of cooking pork so quickly.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

8Pork Steaks Empty Re: Pork Steaks Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:45 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

What was it" Trichinosis or something that sounded like that?

9Pork Steaks Empty Re: Pork Steaks Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:54 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Yup, that's right. Years ago trichinosis was a sort of worm that was present in pork tissue due to hogs being "wild" and eating raw meat as part of their diet. At least that's what I remember learning. It was advised to cook to well done to kill the little buggers.

Now days pork producers have specific feed for the animals that go into our food chain and the chance of having that problem is much, much lower.

But even if a pork steak is cooked only 5 - 7 minutes per side, it will be cooked all the way to raise the temperature to avoid any problem.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum