Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Sweet wine?

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Sweet wine? Empty Sweet wine? Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:36 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

I saw an Asian recipe that called for sweet wine. I hate recipes that are vague. What the heck do you think it means? What is a sweet wine used in Asian cooking?

2Sweet wine? Empty Re: Sweet wine? Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:19 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

We can ask Imelda as she's the closest authority on Asian as we've got....although she's not Asian.

But I would think a rice wine would be my choice. I think it's a sweeter wine than most we are use to using. But when in doubt, I usually fall back to an inexpensive (but tasty) pinot grigeo.

3Sweet wine? Empty Re: Sweet wine? Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:19 pm

NormM

NormM

The recipe is probably wanting Mirin, which is a type of rice wine for cooking that is lower in alcohol and sweeter than sake. Sherry is often substituted and Riesling is a European style wine than might work too.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

4Sweet wine? Empty Re: Sweet wine? Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:31 pm

NormM

NormM

Charlie posted this yesterday on facebook. I don't know how to find it's link other than the facebook one but we think it's pretty funny. They do talk about food.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=467298573353359

5Sweet wine? Empty Re: Sweet wine? Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:02 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Too funny.

6Sweet wine? Empty Re: Sweet wine? Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:08 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Do you think there are really people out there that think like that?

7Sweet wine? Empty Re: Sweet wine? Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:20 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

That video aside, you never can tell who speaks English or not. Half the Hispanics can't out here and a high percentage of Asians can't. Some fake it like they can't speak English. I had to ask the trash man something and ran up to the truck. He said "No hablo englese". I looked at him and said "No hablo englese my ass". He laughed at that one and proceeded to speak perfect English without an accent. Play dumb and you don't have to deal with a lot of things.

8Sweet wine? Empty Re: Sweet wine? Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:28 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

Sherry is often substituted and Riesling is a European style wine than might work too.

that is what I use. Not cooking sherry the real stuff ..

9Sweet wine? Empty Re: Sweet wine? Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:47 pm

NormM

NormM

Cooking sherry should be outlawed.

10Sweet wine? Empty Re: Sweet wine? Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:50 pm

NormM

NormM

My son who is 50% Korean and his cousin who is 100% Korean, born in the USA and living in Spain have both met people like that.

11Sweet wine? Empty Re: Sweet wine? Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:09 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

But doesn't Charlie have a Kansas accent by now?

(which, by the way, is the same as an Ohio accent, isn't it?)

Ignorant people just make me stand and shake my head. I cannot for the life of me understand some of the stupid questions people will ask virtual strangers. One time my girlfriend, who was 9 months pregnant with her 5th child, was at the grocery store with all four of her very well mannered children. A woman behind her in line couldn't wait to make eye contact with my friend to ask if "the next one was a mistake??"

Is there EVER a proper answer for something so stupid?

12Sweet wine? Empty Re: Sweet wine? Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:14 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

NormM wrote:My son who is 50% Korean and his cousin who is 100% Korean, born in the USA and living in Spain have both met people like that.

You're kidding. I have never met someone like that. What morons.

This is a slightly different situation: I used to work with a girl whose parents came from Guam. She was very beautiful and exotic looking. She was born here. She took a trip to Europe and was fit to be tied. People stared at her wherever she went. They pointed at her. In Germany they even came up to her and touched her. It drove her crazy. Totally ruined her trip. It seems no one had ever seen anyone, in person that is that looked like her. They were absolutely fascinated with her beautiful skin color and exotic looks. She couldn't wait to get back to the US.

13Sweet wine? Empty Re: Sweet wine? Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:39 am

NormM

NormM

People can be so thoughtless or just plain dumb. I have seen people think my ex could better understand what they were saying in English if they spoke louder.

Before Charlie could speak, he could understand his Korean relatives but when he started speaking, he spoke only in English and stopped being able to understand Korean anymore. The only accent he could have besides Kansan is what he might have picked up in Washington. His cousin was also born here in Kansas, graduated from High School and University here in Junction City and Kansas State.

They both posted the above on their facebook pages.

14Sweet wine? Empty Re: Sweet wine? Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:34 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

I worked as a legal secretary and a paralegal for many years.  My longest stint was for two Admiraly partners who had a large international client base.  Unlike my husband, who has dealt with so many foreigners over the years and can speak a little bit of a lot of languages, I had a difficult time understanding them on the phone.  I learned to ask them their name (and get them to spell it) and their phone number so at least I could advise who the heck had called, as I usually couldn't understand what they were saying.  

One time, I was trying my best at speaking to someone who I was having a hard time understanding.  Prior to the end of the conversation, one of my bosses, Daphne, who's still a friend today, passed by on the way to her office.  When I finally got off the phone, she came out of her office smiling at me and said, "I see you speak the same foreign langauge as Jack and I do -- LOUD and SLOW!"  i swear, I must've laughed for 10 minutes, as that's what I was doing unconsciously!  It's so stupid but i would start speaking really, really slowly and really, really loud, AS IF THAT WOULD MAKE THINGS BETTER!!!!

Norm, does Charlie speak Korean today?  Just curious.

15Sweet wine? Empty Re: Sweet wine? Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:43 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

It's like when someone speaks to a blind person...have you ever noticed they talk VERY loudly...as if they have to make up for the fact the blind person cannot read their lips.....

dumb, but it happens!

16Sweet wine? Empty Re: Sweet wine? Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:33 pm

NormM

NormM

No Charlie does not speak Korean. He tried talking to his Granddad with a translation app on his phone but it didn't work out very well.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum