Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Jetfan's Egg Bread

+4
NormM
Barbara101
Imelda HL
bethk
8 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

1Jetfan's Egg Bread Empty Jetfan's Egg Bread Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:15 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

OK, so Beth is on her own with Jetfan's Egg Bread recipe and instructions....we'll see just how good our good friend, Stephan, is with his recipe...LOL, seriously, I know this is good, so now we have to see if Beth can do it on her own.

I took his original recipe and halved it, as he suggested. The hardest part was dividing the original 3 beaten eggs into 1-1/2 beaten eggs. I think I learned someplace that an egg is approximately 1/4 cup so I figured half an egg would be 2 Tbsp. Anyway, here's the recipe I used:

Egg Bread – Single Loaf
(from Jetfan at cooking.com)

Ingredients
• 1 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
• 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
• 3/4 cups warm milk (110° to 115°)
• 2 T. sugar
• 1-1/2 t. salt
• 2 eggs, beaten (reserve 2 T. for egg wash at end)
• 2 T. butter, softened
• 3 1/2 to 3-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
• reserved 2 T. egg
• 1 tablespoons water
• Sesame seeds

Directions
• Dissolve yeast in warm water. Add milk, sugar, salt, eggs, butter and
2 cups flour; mix well. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.

• On a floured surface, knead until smooth and elastic, 6-8 minutes.
Place in greased bowl; turn once to grease top. Cover and let rise
in warm place until doubled, 1-1/2 to 2 hours.

(Beth's notes: I used the paddle attachment on the KA stand mixer to incorporate and mix the first 2 c. of flour to a sticky dough, then used the dough hook attachment as I added the balance of the flour and let it knead in the bowl for approximately 5 minutes. Finally, I just finished with about 10 or 12 turns of the dough on a floured mat to finish it before turning it into the oiled bowl to rise.)

• Punch down. Cover and let rise until almost doubled, about 30
minutes. Divide into six portions. On a floured surface, shape each
into a 14-in.-long rope. For each loaf, braid three ropes together
on greased baking sheet; pinch ends to seal. Cover and let rise
until doubled, about 50 minutes.

• Beat egg yolk and water; brush over loaves. Sprinkle with sesame seeds.

Bake @ 350° 25 – 30 minutes or until internal temperature of 200°

I'll add pics as my dough progresses.....

2Jetfan's Egg Bread Empty Re: Jetfan's Egg Bread Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:37 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

OK, here's the bread as it's starting to rise. I don't know if Andrea suggested or if I read someplace to cover the bowl with plastic wrap to keep the air from drying the dough but use a towel over top so if it's in the sunshine there's no condensation to drip on the dough. But that's what I did.

Jetfan's Egg Bread Breaddoughrising

3Jetfan's Egg Bread Empty Re: Jetfan's Egg Bread Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:53 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

After 1 1/2 hours my dough sure looks doubled in size! OMG, the fragrance when I pulled back the plastic wrap.....heaven!

Jetfan's Egg Bread Doughrisinginsunshine

I punched it down...couldn't resist a little "play time" - then rolled it over to round it in the bowl, recovered with the plastic & towel and back into the sunshine for the second rise, about 30 minutes Stephan suggests....

Jetfan's Egg Bread Puncheddown

4Jetfan's Egg Bread Empty Re: Jetfan's Egg Bread Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:20 pm

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

beautiful Beth... I'm going to bake some too.. tomorrow

btw.. I have a bowl like yours.. I bought them ( with a smaller one) 13 years ago at a garage sale.. at that time we were in very tight budget.. though now I have many more bowls, I still keep it ( the small one broke already ) for my bitter sweet memory
 Laughing 

5Jetfan's Egg Bread Empty Re: Jetfan's Egg Bread Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:41 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I got those bowls as a wedding shower present 45+ years ago. The color has faded from the outsides from being washed in the dishwasher but I love 'em and use them weekly. I still have all four ~ and my Andrea says when I pass she's gonna come and grab 'em before I'm cold....lol

6Jetfan's Egg Bread Empty Re: Jetfan's Egg Bread Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:56 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

OK, so here's a bunch of pics of my bread as it progressed:

doubled on the second rise.

Jetfan's Egg Bread 100_2800

divided into 8 pieces (I use a kitchen scale to get them even).

Jetfan's Egg Bread 100_2803

each piece rolled out to about 14" long and placed on my parchment covered sheet pan

Jetfan's Egg Bread 100_2804

start braiding / weaving until you run out of bread dough

Jetfan's Egg Bread 100_2805

tuck the sides and ends to form a beautiful loaf

Jetfan's Egg Bread 100_2806

brush with egg wash & sprinkle with sesame seeds if you like

Jetfan's Egg Bread 100_2808

bread ready to go into a 350° oven for 25 - 30 minutes

Jetfan's Egg Bread 100_2809

7Jetfan's Egg Bread Empty Re: Jetfan's Egg Bread Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:33 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I temperature tested after 25 minutes with my Thermapen thermometer and decided to let the loaf bake for another 10 minutes....oh, and about half way through I turned on the oven light and decided it might be getting brown too quickly so I lowered the oven temperature to 340°. The fragrance is to die for.....

Jetfan's Egg Bread 100_2816

I don't know if I can wait for it to cool to cut it....

I have to wait. I don't want it to tear. I have to wait. OMG, I SHOULD HAVE MADE A BABY BUN TO TASTE TEST!

Jetfan's Egg Bread 100_2818

and it's not easy...but if you try to take a smilin' pic of yourself in a mirror this is what you end up with.....I'm so proud of my bread!

Jetfan's Egg Bread 100_2815

8Jetfan's Egg Bread Empty Re: Jetfan's Egg Bread Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:53 pm

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

goodness Beth.. no wonder you look so happy.. you have successfully made a beautiful bread.. I'm going to make it too.. soon  Laughing 

9Jetfan's Egg Bread Empty Re: Jetfan's Egg Bread Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:08 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I cannot tell you how proud I am of that silly loaf of bread....I've made more than my share of quick breads but have always been intimidated by yeast breads. Dumb, I know, but I don't think I'm all alone in my reluctance to be a regular bread baker.

One of these days I'm going to put together all the ingredients for Pete's everyday bread, the one he baked twice a week without fail.

10Jetfan's Egg Bread Empty Re: Jetfan's Egg Bread Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:43 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

OK, my bread is cool. I should wait until my supper to try it....but I just can't wait. OMG, it is SO good! The texture is excellent and the taste is wonderful. I just hope Stephan stops by to see my pics. Thanks, Stephan. I couldn't have done it without you!

Jetfan's Egg Bread 100_2820

11Jetfan's Egg Bread Empty Re: Jetfan's Egg Bread Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:52 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

Jetfan's Egg Bread 4056093967   Jetfan's Egg Bread 940422454 Jetfan's Egg Bread 4137497845 Jetfan's Egg Bread 4137497845 Jetfan's Egg Bread 2790317363 

freaking awesome..I would be showing it off to the neighbors .. Then again I would have eaten half of it. Hog that I am.. pig 

12Jetfan's Egg Bread Empty Re: Jetfan's Egg Bread Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:56 pm

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

bethk wrote:OK, my bread is cool.  I should wait until my supper to try it....but I just can't wait.  OMG, it is SO good!  The texture is excellent and the taste is wonderful.  I just hope Stephan stops by to see my pics.  Thanks, Stephan.  I couldn't have done it without you!

Jetfan's Egg Bread 100_2820

Jetfan's Egg Bread 3593629538 Jetfan's Egg Bread 4137497845  you go Beth  Jetfan's Egg Bread 3593629538 

13Jetfan's Egg Bread Empty Re: Jetfan's Egg Bread Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:19 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Aw, thanks guys....it just amazes me that I did it by myself...I've always been so intimidated ~ well, that and a few epic failures that turned out like brick door-stops. I just love when our friends share their best recipes.

14Jetfan's Egg Bread Empty Re: Jetfan's Egg Bread Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:19 pm

NormM

NormM

Great pictures. Great results. Congratulations.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

15Jetfan's Egg Bread Empty Re: Jetfan's Egg Bread Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:28 pm

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

I made it.. I made it.. manually... no mixer or bread machine kneading  Jetfan's Egg Bread 3267860543 

Jetfan's Egg Bread DSCN1060

Jetfan's Egg Bread DSCN1061

Jetfan's Egg Bread DSCN1079

Parmesan cheese instead of sesame seeds

Jetfan's Egg Bread DSCN1096

Jetfan's Egg Bread 48-1

Jetfan's Egg Bread 52-1

with Nutella

Jetfan's Egg Bread 50

16Jetfan's Egg Bread Empty Re: Jetfan's Egg Bread Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:38 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Woo Hoo!!!

You ROCK, Lady! You did a fantastic job. I really like that idea of the parmesan, bet it made it super yummy.

Isn't that a nice dough to work with? It really gave me confidence to keep trying.

Jetfan's Egg Bread 4137497845 Jetfan's Egg Bread 4056093967 Jetfan's Egg Bread 3602300868 

17Jetfan's Egg Bread Empty Re: Jetfan's Egg Bread Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:42 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

That bread looks so yummy! Beautiful job!

By the way, where is jetfan?

18Jetfan's Egg Bread Empty Re: Jetfan's Egg Bread Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:54 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Last time we chatted with him he had been visiting his family in Long Island and he and his wife were trying to get their house ready to sell, hopefully then move to California to be close to grandchildren. It's been a while so I'm thinking he's just really busy.

By the way, today is his birthday so think good thoughts and maybe he'll stop by soon!

19Jetfan's Egg Bread Empty Re: Jetfan's Egg Bread Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:08 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Do you know where in California?

20Jetfan's Egg Bread Empty Re: Jetfan's Egg Bread Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:23 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

nope

21Jetfan's Egg Bread Empty Re: Jetfan's Egg Bread Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:38 pm

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

Jetfan's Egg Bread 2453703928 Beth and Bugster2.. it was yummy.. the Parmesan cheese added crunch and saltiness on the crust Jetfan's Egg Bread 3593629538 

Beth... do you mind if I copy and paste the recipe and put it on my blog? some of my friends ask for it... thank you

22Jetfan's Egg Bread Empty Re: Jetfan's Egg Bread Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:32 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Of course, Imelda, feel free to pass the recipe to anyone who'd like to have it.

That's one of the best things about the people we have on our forum, they share their best "tried and true" recipes and are pleased to have them passed along to others. Sharing is all in the fun!

I'm sure Stephan (Jetfan) would be pleased.

23Jetfan's Egg Bread Empty Re: Jetfan's Egg Bread Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:06 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Ladies, your braided loaves look delicious!

Beth, it was fun seeing what you looked like, too! Thanks for sharing that pic of yourself -- heck, I'd be proud, too, of that loaf!

24Jetfan's Egg Bread Empty Re: Jetfan's Egg Bread Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:10 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Oh, that pic wasn't ME....it was just some old lady who was facing me (in the mirror)! lol

25Jetfan's Egg Bread Empty Re: Jetfan's Egg Bread Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:22 pm

jetfan27

jetfan27

Hello all,
Sorry I haven't been around much. with work and trying to sell this place, I just don't go on the computer much.
Ladies, I bow to your breads. They are beautiful!!! Better than I could do. And thank you Beth for remembering my birthday. You are a good friend.
Looks like we are going to try to move to Jersey. The daughter in California is talking about moving in the future. So it's back into the snow to be with family. So much to think about and then to find jobs. At 61, it ain't easy.
Thanks for remembering me. and I'll try to come back more. Stephan

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum