Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Turkey Bacon..

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Turkey Bacon.. Empty Turkey Bacon.. Mon May 13, 2013 10:00 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

http://shine.yahoo.com/healthy-living/the-great-bacon-debate-turkey-vs-regular-442503.html

to think I almost bought turkey bacon.interesting read.

it has MORE sodium.

I really really miss bacon Sad

2Turkey Bacon.. Empty Re: Turkey Bacon.. Mon May 13, 2013 10:31 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

If you're trying to cut back on the sodium and still just HAVE TO HAVE a bit of bacon, say as a garnish on a salad, not a main ingredient, why not try to simmer it in water to remove some of the fat & salt content? That is not to say a huge amount of salt will be removed but it makes sense that some of the salt will come off in the water.

Once the bacon is rendered in the water then just crisp up as usual.

I don't know what the difference is (ie: no study to cite) but it just seems to make sense to me...

just a thought

ps - I have not found a turkey bacon I like the flavor or texture of. I'd rather cut back on the real thing than try to eat something I don't like just because it might have less of one thing or another.

3Turkey Bacon.. Empty Re: Turkey Bacon.. Tue May 14, 2013 10:15 am

cookingirl

cookingirl

Yes, Barbara.
Turkey bacon has less fat but way more sodium than regular bacon. I went with the nitrate free bacon. It tastes good and it is a tad healthier..Bacon is Bacon. none of it is really good for you..sorry.... Turkey Bacon.. 2787578702

4Turkey Bacon.. Empty Re: Turkey Bacon.. Tue May 14, 2013 11:21 am

NormM

NormM

Nitrate free bacon or uncured bacon is still cured. It is cured with salt.

From the internet:
Uncured bacon can be preserved with salt (sodium chloride) and/or sugar but does not have sodium nitrate or sodium nitrite added to maintain the pink or red color.

The USDA requires that products such as salt cured or smoked pork products that use Celery Powder instead of the nitrates and nitrites be labeled as uncured.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

5Turkey Bacon.. Empty Re: Turkey Bacon.. Tue May 14, 2013 12:27 pm

cookingirl

cookingirl

thanks Norm, but the sodium level is so much lower on these; and they do not taste 'salty'.....just my opinion...
guess I do not know anything about bacon.... Turkey Bacon.. 2787578702

6Turkey Bacon.. Empty Re: Turkey Bacon.. Tue May 14, 2013 12:46 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

But you learn lots of stuff like this information via sharing. I love that about food forums.

My big problem is I learn about stuff I probably shouldn't eat (ie: bacon) and I eat it anyway.... scratch

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum