Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Baby, it's cold outside!

+5
UNCLE JIMMY
Crybaby
Barbara101
NormM
Bugster2
9 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 4]

51Baby, it's cold outside! - Page 3 Empty Re: Baby, it's cold outside! Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:08 pm

NormM

NormM

It's -9º here right now. Forecast is that it might get a lot colder.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

52Baby, it's cold outside! - Page 3 Empty Re: Baby, it's cold outside! Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:15 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

NormM wrote:It's -9º here right now.  Forecast is that it might get a lot colder.

MINUS 90???? Did I read that correctly?

53Baby, it's cold outside! - Page 3 Empty Re: Baby, it's cold outside! Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:26 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

I think I read you wrong (thank goodness). Minus 9 degrees, right?

54Baby, it's cold outside! - Page 3 Empty Re: Baby, it's cold outside! Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:26 pm

NormM

NormM

Minus nine degrees. 9º not 90

55Baby, it's cold outside! - Page 3 Empty Re: Baby, it's cold outside! Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:32 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

I have always wondered how birds and other surface animals survive those temps. My friend in Montana says it is minus 27 degrees right now. She is is getting out of Dodge and going on a cruise. What a luxury.

56Baby, it's cold outside! - Page 3 Empty Re: Baby, it's cold outside! Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:00 pm

NormM

NormM

I was in Dodge City a couple years ago. It was a pleasure to get out of Dodge and go anywhere else.

57Baby, it's cold outside! - Page 3 Empty Re: Baby, it's cold outside! Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:02 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Dad had a 36 Dodge. Anything was better than that thing. hahahaha
It was a Coupe'. He shoved a seat from a old bus behind the front seat, and bro and I had no place to put our legs down. We sat like legs crossed. Like we were gonna meditate. I was 11, and I had a tough time crossing my legs. I was Too Fat!

58Baby, it's cold outside! - Page 3 Empty Re: Baby, it's cold outside! Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:15 pm

JanaAZ

bethk wrote:I talked to Dane a little while ago.  He said he can't remember it being so bitterly cold in years....even during the blizzard of '78 it wasn't as cold for as long as it's been lately.  And, of course, they have more snow than they have had for years.  I know last year he didn't have to get the snow blower out at all, although he had it at the ready.  This year Robin tried to clear the driveway and, low and behold, her friend with a snow plow on his pickup came by and went through the drifts for her so all she had to do later was keep up with what was coming down.  The drifts are killers to get through.

Dane said he's got 6 "sick days" coming so he's thinking of calling off work a couple of the days next week when it's suppose to be below 0 as the high for the day.  He really shouldn't be doing anything when it's that cold because of his difficulty breathing.  So, 20 more working days and he's done.  Neither of us can wait for it to be over for him.
I remember the blizzard of '78-'79 very well. That was when my DH and I got together. I was thinking that this stuff reminded me of that time. Lots of snow, then deep, deep cold. Yikes!

59Baby, it's cold outside! - Page 3 Empty Re: Baby, it's cold outside! Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:20 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Having a hot spell. It's 37º and falling. Supposed to go down to 3º tonight, and a high of 10 tomorrow.

I just grabbed 4 bags of wood pellets for the stove. sorted all the garbage and did all outside stuff while it is warm. Tina did some shopping at the food store at Sams for soap and stuff we need for the washing clothes and dishes soap.

60Baby, it's cold outside! - Page 3 Empty Re: Baby, it's cold outside! Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:29 pm

NormM

NormM

I went down to make coffee, turned on the cold water in the kitchen and nothing came out. I opened the cabinet under the faucet and after a couple of hours the water started working. I don't think any pipes burst, thank goodness.

61Baby, it's cold outside! - Page 3 Empty Re: Baby, it's cold outside! Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:00 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Yup - good reminder, Norm, to leave all sink cabinet doors open and any auxiliary heat you might have to turn on, especially when you go to bed at night. I know Dane has the electric wrap plugged in on our copper pipes in the utility room.

62Baby, it's cold outside! - Page 3 Empty Re: Baby, it's cold outside! Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:22 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

that is for pipes that are close to outside wall right?My bathroom/kitchen water is not anywhere close to any outside walls.Just to be safe,it is going down to 17` overnight,I might let bathroom drip.

63Baby, it's cold outside! - Page 3 Empty Re: Baby, it's cold outside! Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:25 pm

NormM

NormM

The sink pipes were next to the outside wall. My upstairs bathroom sink is too but it worked OK this morning. Maybe they were better insulated.

64Baby, it's cold outside! - Page 3 Empty Re: Baby, it's cold outside! Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:54 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Barbara101 wrote:that is for pipes that are close to outside wall right?My bathroom/kitchen water is not anywhere close to any outside walls.Just to be safe,it is going down to 17` overnight,I might let bathroom drip.

It still wouldn't hurt to leave the cabinet doors open so warm air can be close to the water lines.

Unless, of course, Silly I and Silly II would make a mess of the stuff under the sinks or get into something they shouldn't.....

65Baby, it's cold outside! - Page 3 Empty Re: Baby, it's cold outside! Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:05 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Usually when temps go down to the single digits for 2 days or more...pipes near the outside walls can freeze.

sometimes when it is windy out, that adds to the freezing up.
Just a small fan blowing the heat from the center of the house, directed to under the sink, will help keep the pipes from freezing.

66Baby, it's cold outside! - Page 3 Empty Re: Baby, it's cold outside! Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:15 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Pipes bursting. Funny you should say that. Out here in SoCal we usually don't have that problem. It never gets cold enough. Your comment did remind me of the time when our pipes did burst. This was in the 80's and at the time we lived about a mile from the beach. It was early Christmas morning and I had just got up when I heard this water noise. I thought a sprinkler head was broken. I went outside to look around and found all of this water pouring off our roof. One of the pipes to the solar system had frozen and burst. I had to haul my DH out of bed too early and have him shut off the water main until he was awake enough to climb up onto the second story. Fortunately he was able to do something so we were able to turn the water back on. We do freeze out here but not very often. When I was growing up in Pasadena we always froze. We would get up in the morning, look out onto the lawn and it was completely white like it had snowed. The dew on the grass was frozen, ice on the windshields, ice in the gutters.

67Baby, it's cold outside! - Page 3 Empty Re: Baby, it's cold outside! Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:36 pm

NormM

NormM

I lived in a duplex once.  The outside water faucet had a hose long enough to reach into the front yard.  The neighbor boys 'borrowed' my hose and used my water to wash their car.  Here in the midwest, there are outside spigots designed to not freeze up in the winter but you HAVE to un hook the hose during the winter for it to work.  I took the hose off the spigot but those boys hooked it up again to wash their car and left it hooked up. I didn't know they had done that and my pipe froze and split the pipe. In the spring when they turned on the water again, my basement got very wet and then they wondered why I was so angry.

68Baby, it's cold outside! - Page 3 Empty Re: Baby, it's cold outside! Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:01 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:I lived in a duplex once.  The outside water faucet had a hose long enough to reach into the front yard.  The neighbor boys 'borrowed' my hose and used my water to wash their car.  Here in the midwest, there are outside spigots designed to not freeze up in the winter but you HAVE to un hook the hose during the winter for it to work.  I took the hose off the spigot but those boys hooked it up again to wash their car and left it hooked up. I didn't know they had done that and my pipe froze and split the pipe. In the spring when they turned on the water again, my basement got very wet and then they wondered why I was so angry.

The kids do that here Norm.
They wash ther cars, and then leave the spigot ON .
I woke up one morning (and this was in the summer ), to water gushing somewhere, and I could hear the water nutuating disk meter, clack clack clacking away. It sounded like a train rolling on the tracks.

The water pressure is 110# PSI during night time, and the outside spigots, are on the full pressure.
POW!!! The hose just blew a hole in it. It was an el cheapo hose in the first place. I tell them, and their answer is...Oh! I forgot!.

69Baby, it's cold outside! - Page 3 Empty Re: Baby, it's cold outside! Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:04 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

The colder air is now moving in from the WEST.
29º and the wind is really blowing hard.

70Baby, it's cold outside! - Page 3 Empty Re: Baby, it's cold outside! Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:02 am

NormM

NormM

It got down to minus 11 today. Right now it's up to 6. By Sunday it is supposed to be up to 51.

71Baby, it's cold outside! - Page 3 Empty Re: Baby, it's cold outside! Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:15 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:It got down to minus 11 today.  Right now it's up to 6. By Sunday it is supposed to be up to 51.

Same here Norm.

This am, it was 53 at 6am.

20 now and dropping.

7 tomorrow ....and Sunday 51.

72Baby, it's cold outside! - Page 3 Empty Re: Baby, it's cold outside! Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:13 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

This is one heck of a weather system....I cannot remember seeing a jet stream pushing such cold air from the North Pole as far south as it is....We woke up to 32° with 25 mph winds, making it feel like it's in the low 20's....I know, for those of you at -15°, these temperatures sound warm....well, warm-er than you are experiencing. It's just so weird that on Sunday I put the top down on my car because it was a beautiful and balmy 84° with clear blue skies. Mother Nature, she's a fickle one, that's for sure.

For everyone experiencing this bone chilling cold, please stay inside and stay safe. No need to go outside. Everything can just wait until this is over.

73Baby, it's cold outside! - Page 3 Empty Re: Baby, it's cold outside! Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:29 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

19`here at 6AM.high will be 35`..tomorrow 50/60+ then pushing 73/75 for Friday to week end.

Put on my stand up heater,temp thingie says it is 62`in my house.This must be one well insulated house.I put in plantation blinds last year & I put up block out drapes to keep out the sun & heat lol works great for any cold air too.I don't plan on going out.

74Baby, it's cold outside! - Page 3 Empty Re: Baby, it's cold outside! Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:53 am

NormM

NormM

It's 5 now. Should get up to a balmy 32. I have a heating and cooling guy coming out to assess whether I need my humidifier fixed or repaired. He's charging $67.00 just to drive out here and ring the doorbell.

75Baby, it's cold outside! - Page 3 Empty Re: Baby, it's cold outside! Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:53 am

NormM

NormM

NormM wrote:It's 5 now.  Should get up to a balmy 32.  I have a heating and cooling guy coming out to assess whether I need my repaired or replaced.  He's charging $67.00 just to drive out here and ring the doorbell.  

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 4]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum