Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Baby, it's cold outside!

+5
UNCLE JIMMY
Crybaby
Barbara101
NormM
Bugster2
9 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 4]

26Baby, it's cold outside! - Page 2 Empty Re: Baby, it's cold outside! Sat Dec 14, 2013 5:08 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Mid 70's here, too.

Got a text from a friend about it taking her an hour to shovel the 7" of snow from the sidewalks and driveway.

yuck. don't miss it, not a bit.

27Baby, it's cold outside! - Page 2 Empty Re: Baby, it's cold outside! Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:41 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Soup and cheeseburgers frm Micky D's.
Snow day today, and cleaned the snow 3 times. 17º out and everything is ice now.

28Baby, it's cold outside! - Page 2 Empty Re: Baby, it's cold outside! Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:18 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

For everyone affected by this horrible storm system(s)....PLEASE take care. Stay inside if at all possible and, for heavens sake, stay off the roadways.

I am so blessed to be sitting where I am but I'm worried about the rest of you who have to deal with this dangerous cold and blowing snow.

My thoughts and prayers are with you all.....stay safe.

29Baby, it's cold outside! - Page 2 Empty Re: Baby, it's cold outside! Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:18 am

cookingirl

cookingirl

Thanks Barb!
Right now, in Boston it is 6 degrees! Wind chill -25! I will take 30 minutes for frostbite in exposed skin! We got 15 inches of snow! The cold is going right thru the apartment..I had to turn the thermostat way up.. I am so grateful we still have power--I live right near the coast so we get the ocean effects of snow and wind.....
Today is my Dad's 2nd anniversary. I took yesterday and today off from work. I can't help but thinking this is my Dad's way of telling me to take care of myself and take a break from life.
I may venture out later in the day to start my car and survey the damage. It will be from boredom, if I do...I do not have to leave the apartment until Sunday morning for church and then back home!

Everyone stay safe!!!

30Baby, it's cold outside! - Page 2 Empty Re: Baby, it's cold outside! Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:40 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

I saw the snow on the news this morning. It makes me glad I live in California. It was 80 degrees yesterday. It will be 75 today. I wouldn't do well in the snow. I couldn't drive safely and I would be perpetually cold. I have zero tolerance for extremes in temperature.

31Baby, it's cold outside! - Page 2 Empty Re: Baby, it's cold outside! Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:31 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

everyone here is saying oh it is so cold..well it is I guess.65 today.windy right now.I have not turned on my heater yet.I don't even have socks on lol.sleep pants,flip flops,long sleeve top.I washed 2 quilts,one goes on the foot of the bed for Molly & Ms Cat.The other one for the sofa if I get cold.both girls had to get in & get all covered up to suit them.I got too warm & checked the temp thing,69`..I will not be turning on my heater .

32Baby, it's cold outside! - Page 2 Empty Re: Baby, it's cold outside! Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:36 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I talked to Dane a little while ago. He said he can't remember it being so bitterly cold in years....even during the blizzard of '78 it wasn't as cold for as long as it's been lately. And, of course, they have more snow than they have had for years. I know last year he didn't have to get the snow blower out at all, although he had it at the ready. This year Robin tried to clear the driveway and, low and behold, her friend with a snow plow on his pickup came by and went through the drifts for her so all she had to do later was keep up with what was coming down. The drifts are killers to get through.

Dane said he's got 6 "sick days" coming so he's thinking of calling off work a couple of the days next week when it's suppose to be below 0 as the high for the day. He really shouldn't be doing anything when it's that cold because of his difficulty breathing. So, 20 more working days and he's done. Neither of us can wait for it to be over for him.

33Baby, it's cold outside! - Page 2 Empty Re: Baby, it's cold outside! Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:54 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:I talked to Dane a little while ago.  He said he can't remember it being so bitterly cold in years....even during the blizzard of '78 it wasn't as cold for as long as it's been lately.  And, of course, they have more snow than they have had for years.  I know last year he didn't have to get the snow blower out at all, although he had it at the ready.  This year Robin tried to clear the driveway and, low and behold, her friend with a snow plow on his pickup came by and went through the drifts for her so all she had to do later was keep up with what was coming down.  The drifts are killers to get through.

Dane said he's got 6 "sick days" coming so he's thinking of calling off work a couple of the days next week when it's suppose to be below 0 as the high for the day.  He really shouldn't be doing anything when it's that cold because of his difficulty breathing.  So, 20 more working days and he's done.  Neither of us can wait for it to be over for him.

Beth... Tell Dane to take care of Dane.
Tina used to say to me,"If you break your horns working on those rooftops
with 10º and the wind blowing, and you get hurt or sick, they company is not gonna give two hits about Mr. Jimmy!"

There won't be any xtra money they will put on the table!

When I had health problems just a 8 months countdown from retiring at 62, I was out sick, and after 3 months, I had to pay Cobra ins. at $980.00 a month.
No employer called and said,"Hey Jim, you gave us 37 years, and instituted
ways for us to expand and grow, but that's allright. The State diability you are using should pull you through.
They Don't really Give a Hoot!

Tina and I will be praying the countdown of the short timers days go by quickly!

34Baby, it's cold outside! - Page 2 Empty Re: Baby, it's cold outside! Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:40 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Yeah, Jimmy, and the electrical contractor he works for is a small, family owned place ~ he's only been there about 10 years. He's always given 110% and now that he's a "lame duck" I keep telling him to take it easy....I mean, what are they gonna do, fire him for not showing up and calling in sick? Ain't gonna happen.

He's got enough to do to stay warm. I told him to just stay in the house and clean.....well, at least it was an idea for him to stay busy. LOL

35Baby, it's cold outside! - Page 2 Empty Re: Baby, it's cold outside! Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:00 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Yeah, Jimmy, and the electrical contractor he works for is a small, family owned place ~ he's only been there about 10 years.  He's always given 110% and now that he's a "lame duck" I keep telling him to take it easy....I mean, what are they gonna do, fire him for not showing up and calling in sick?  Ain't gonna happen.  

He's got enough to do to stay warm.  I told him to just stay in the house and clean.....well, at least it was an idea for him to stay busy.  LOL

I know all about the family owned. They are great to work for, until they get big and bigger!

Yeah! hahahahahaha so funny. Like they're really gonna fire him! LOL

36Baby, it's cold outside! - Page 2 Empty Re: Baby, it's cold outside! Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:19 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

It's been cold here, too -- well, cold for us anyway. The low will actually be in the high 20s tonight (that's damn cold for us) but the high tomorrow will be pushing 70. Go figure!

We have so little cold weather that I really enjoy it. We have a gas fireplace in the corner of the living room and it's plenty of heat in that room (we don't like it too warm) and it's pretty to look at, too. Brian, who is originally from Boston/Cape Cod, can't stand the cold. He'd be content if it was 85 every day. But it's been fun watching our relatives' and friends' temps lately -- most of them below zero and wind chills beyond belief. I honestly cannot comprehend that type of cold, as I've never experienced it. Brian's Aunt Mary lives in Quincy, MA, and they got about 20 inches of snow day before yesterday. Just once in my life, I'd like to experience that.

37Baby, it's cold outside! - Page 2 Empty Re: Baby, it's cold outside! Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:42 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

Boy not me.I have had to deal with snow,ice & cold in my life time.I will not ever do it again.

Being without heat & snowed in ,scary as hell.Paying to be cool,then paying big time to be warm..No thanks. My electric bill in the winter runs $50 to $70 a month.
I do not want to drive in snow or on ice.I do not want to walk on snow or ice.I sure as heck am not going to shovel lol.Heck I do not own winter coats,hats,gloves.Boots.Not gonna happen..

Baby, it's cold outside! - Page 2 2876843705 

38Baby, it's cold outside! - Page 2 Empty Re: Baby, it's cold outside! Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:03 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Crybaby wrote:  Just once in my life, I'd like to experience that.

What you should "wish" to experience is a beautiful snow with day time temperatures in the mid 30°'s and night time temperatures in the mid 20°'s....and no wind, but sunny.

Then, you go find yourself a bunch of kids with sleds and (at our ages....) WATCH them go screaming down the hills. Roll yourself a snowman and dress him up in a scarf & hat. Sit in front of a fire with hot chocolate to warm up and then pull the bread out of the oven to have with your big pot of steaming soup.....

No one should have to experience the dreadful artic freeze, wind chills, power outages, more snow than they can deal with and just plain miserable all the time. Been there, done that ~ don't ever want to have to do it again.

39Baby, it's cold outside! - Page 2 Empty Re: Baby, it's cold outside! Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:19 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

I wish my electric bill was $50. We have the highest electric cost in the country here in California. My bill averages about $95/month which is low compared to most peoples. It is funny but it used to be $75/month until Edison installed one of those meters that is read by satellite. When I use my oven a lot, like for Thanksgiving, my bill jumps another $20. In the summer it is outrageous. I had maybe 5 days in a row where I turned on the air conditioner for about 4 hours and my bill jumped to $180. SCE sucks big time. My friend in AZ has her air going 24/7 in the summer and her bill is only about 4 to 5 hundred a month. That includes gas too. Out here in California we get screwed on everything. No double coupons, high gasoline prices even though the refineries are in our backyards. Groceries are expensive, housing outrageous.

I used to live in Illinois and I remember the snow but not the cold. I guess I was too young. I remember being in a blizzard and seeing the drifts all over. I once got snowed in at Lake Tahoe. No wind but this heavy snow fall for a day. We had to wait for the roads to get cleared before we could get out. What was so nice was the total silence. We stood outside and just listened to the snow falling. Absolute total silence. It was wonderful. The snow was so powdery that you couldn't even pack it into snowballs. Walking was treacherous because you didn't know how far you would sink. When they cleared the walks the walls were over 6 feet high. The only time I have seen it higher was a picture of North Dakota where the walls of the road were at least 2 stories or higher. Like driving blind. No landmarks. Kind of claustrophobic and scary.

40Baby, it's cold outside! - Page 2 Empty Re: Baby, it's cold outside! Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:08 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

I know what you mean about the silence, Bug.  After Katrina, we were here for a couple of days until we headed out of town.  It was BLAZING HOT (98 degrees with high humidity) and, of course, no one had power in the entire city. We spent most of the day on our upstairs balcony, which blessedly is on the north side of the house, so we had shade until late afternoon (we still got sunburned in the shade though, which I didn't even know until we'd left). I'd make us a sandwich for lunch and it was so hot and miserable that we couldn't even finish half a sliced bread sandwich. But at night, it was freaking gorgeous -- all the stars that you never can see in the city were visible. I called Brian outside the first night to see and we both were truly awed. It was truly stunning AND quiet. If you heard anything, it wasn't a good thing...

It was scary, though, as it was so dark (like camping) that you couldn't see your hand in front of your face. And you knew people were roaming around, too, but you couldn't see them. After we left town, I started reading a blog by a woman in Katy, TX, who was in touch with people in our neighborhood (we live in Algiers Point, which is across the river from the French Quarter). She was relaying info between people gone and people still at home so they didn't have to put it out there for everyone to read. People who were gone were telling others still home where their weapons were in their homes and the best place to break in to get said weapons. It was pretty dangerous here, as lots of people were looting and there were car jackings, etc. My favorite thing was that one gay couple that we didn't know (but now do), were the ones who were collecting the firearms to protect the homes of those who were gone. Before nightfall every night, these guys would spread empty soda cans and beer cans all over the street outside their house. That way they could tell when the "bad guys" were approaching (there was a 7 p.m. curfew so no one should be out unless you're up to no good). When they heard the cans move, they had hooked up a spotlight to their car battery and would hit it on and point it at where the noise came from. They could hear and see the people running. It's pretty scary when you realize you're all alone and totally responsible for yourself -- no police or firemen to call!

41Baby, it's cold outside! - Page 2 Empty Re: Baby, it's cold outside! Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:54 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

It was horrible just watching the aftermath on the TV. I couldn't believe that our mighty government failed to help those people. I have seen our gov't react faster to disasters halfway around the world. Guns? You betcha! Things like Katrina, the L.A. riots can bring out the best and worst in people. And there are fools out there who want to spit on the constitution and take away our right to bear (bare?) arms. I hate guns. I think they are a necessary evil but I can tell you this: I would have been sitting shotgun on my balcony too.

42Baby, it's cold outside! - Page 2 Empty Re: Baby, it's cold outside! Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:14 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Barbara101 wrote:everyone here is saying oh it is so cold..well it is I guess.65 today.windy right now.I have not turned on my heater yet.I don't even have socks on lol.sleep pants,flip flops,long sleeve top.I washed 2 quilts,one goes on the foot of the bed for Molly & Ms Cat.The other one for the sofa if I get cold.both girls had to get in & get all covered up to suit them.I got too warm & checked the temp thing,69`..I will not be turning on my heater .

Barb! Uhh! I hate to break the news, but it's gonna be time to turn on that heat just for a day or two.
This year, they elected the nasty old lady mother nature, and she is peeved off.
SC will see some rather cold temps.

You may be able to slide a chair into the kitchen, and throw some pots of water on the stove to steam and heat the area. Better if you can isolate the kitchen from the rest of the home.

Stay Warm Barb.

43Baby, it's cold outside! - Page 2 Empty Re: Baby, it's cold outside! Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:39 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Yeah, my Andrea said she was going to get a big stock pot of water to put on the stove tonight ~ just in case. They have propane and her stove has electronic ignition. You can't light it with a match if the power is off. Only thing to do is keep a low flame on a small burner and not turn it off.

She said she'd rather waste a tiny bit of propane than to have the power go off with all the heavy snow and not be able to use even one burner on the stove. I know for a fact she cannot shovel her way out to the grill on the patio - the way the wind has blown her snow it's drifted over the top of the grill top - at least 4 1/2'

44Baby, it's cold outside! - Page 2 Empty Re: Baby, it's cold outside! Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:53 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

I have an electric igniter on my gas stove too but I can light it with out electricity. She should be able to. Just turn on the gas with a match already lit and stand back. Should go POOF! immediately.

45Baby, it's cold outside! - Page 2 Empty Re: Baby, it's cold outside! Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:59 pm

JanaAZ

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:It is cold here too. 27º now! .... The snow will not melt at that temperature.
It is so weird...I cannot write on the post if I click on it.
I can...with the other two computers. This one is Windows 8 and internet Explorer 10
The other two work and they are Window 7 on one, and Window Vista on the other.
I am so mad. I cleared the cookies on the site too!

The weird thing, is some threads here I can write on.
???????????? Other sites and another forum, I have no problems.
Only on this site??????? I'm confused?

Beware of IE11. I accidentally downloaded it a few weeks ago and many sites were not compatible. I was unable to view or update more sites than I was able to use. I had to remove it and go back to IE10.

46Baby, it's cold outside! - Page 2 Empty Re: Baby, it's cold outside! Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:03 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

when I went outside to put out some trash & go to the freezer it was warm.65`
Monday it will be around 68`or so. Tuesday. look out 45`..that is the day I will put on the heater.lol.

Just looked at my temp thingie.72` in my house.

47Baby, it's cold outside! - Page 2 Empty Re: Baby, it's cold outside! Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:29 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

yeah, it's warm here, too, Barb. Not complainin', mind you, but just sayin' it's still warm.

Tuesday we're suppose to wake up to 20's.....I think I'll bring my little garden boxes in tomorrow night.

48Baby, it's cold outside! - Page 2 Empty Re: Baby, it's cold outside! Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:55 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

JanaAZ wrote:
UNCLE JIMMY wrote:It is cold here too. 27º now! .... The snow will not melt at that temperature.
It is so weird...I cannot write on the post if I click on it.
I can...with the other two computers. This one is Windows 8 and internet Explorer 10
The other two work and they are Window 7 on one, and Window Vista on the other.
I am so mad. I cleared the cookies on the site too!

The weird thing, is some threads here I can write on.
???????????? Other sites and another forum, I have no problems.
Only on this site??????? I'm confused?

Beware of IE11.  I accidentally downloaded it a few weeks ago and many sites were not compatible.  I was unable to view or update more sites than I was able to use.  I had to remove it and go back to IE10.  

Thanks Jana. Yeah! I learned my lesson a few years back with Vista and IE9 Beta. When IE9 Full version was available, it took me days and months to install it fully, and the kicker was that I could not uninstall it because it was in some other file. I was not the only one either according to the Microsoft Windows forum and help site. I could not go back to IE8 because I could not find IE9 downloaded file. Finally after update KB 2..... and KB...yadda yadda yadda..fix, and patch and readiness this and that , It finally installed the correct final version. grrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!

49Baby, it's cold outside! - Page 2 Empty Re: Baby, it's cold outside! Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:03 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Bugster2 wrote:I have an electric igniter on my gas stove too but I can light it with out electricity. She should be able to. Just turn on the gas with a match already lit and stand back. Should go POOF! immediately.

Nope. Her Jennair won't light without the electronic igniter working. Some sort of safety feature. My GE was like yours, still able to manually light without power.

50Baby, it's cold outside! - Page 2 Empty Re: Baby, it's cold outside! Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:06 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Really? I have heard of that feature. Interesting to know.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 4]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum