Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

NOVEMBER...Breakfast & Lunch Thread.

+3
thesweetestpea
bethk
Barbara101
7 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 4]

76NOVEMBER...Breakfast & Lunch Thread. - Page 4 Empty Re: NOVEMBER...Breakfast & Lunch Thread. Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:44 pm

thesweetestpea

thesweetestpea

Jimmy, I have some vegetarian egg-based dishes that use flour in them to "toughen up" the texture of the egg base so that it holds on to the veggies that are included. I like the taste and texture myself.

77NOVEMBER...Breakfast & Lunch Thread. - Page 4 Empty Re: NOVEMBER...Breakfast & Lunch Thread. Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:08 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

thesweetestpea wrote:Jimmy, I have some vegetarian egg-based dishes that use flour in them to "toughen up" the texture of the egg base so that it holds on to the veggies that are included.  I like the taste and texture myself.
Yes, so true.
Actually, gram also added baking powder, and then that puffs up the eggs.
I didn't add that this time.
Gram used to say,"I can feed 4 people with two eggs!
" LOL

78NOVEMBER...Breakfast & Lunch Thread. - Page 4 Empty Re: NOVEMBER...Breakfast & Lunch Thread. Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:39 pm

thesweetestpea

thesweetestpea

Here's one of the recipes I was talking about.

ARTICHOKE AND CHEESE PUFF

12 oz. marinated artichoke hearts
1 medium onions, coarsely chopped
5 eggs
3/4 tsp. salt
fresh ground pepper to taste
2-3 Tbsp. flour
6 oz. cheddar cheese, grated
1 oz. Parmesan cheese, grated

Drain off 1/4 cup of oil from the artichoke hearts and heat it in a large skillet or shallow, fireproof casserole dish.  Sauté the onions in it until they are beginning to color.  Thickly slice the artichoke hearts or quarter them.  Beat the eggs with the salt, some fresh ground black pepper and the flour until the mixture is perfectly smooth.  Stir in the grated cheeses.  Add the artichoke hearts to the onions and stir them around a little then distribute them evenly over the area of the skillet or casserole.  Spoon the egg and cheese mixture over the vegetables, spread it around gently, and bake the puff in a preheated 350 degree oven for 20 to 25 minutes, or until it is completely set, golden brown and slightly crusty on top.  Serves 4 to 6 or more if cut into small wedges for an appetizer.  I like this especially served with rolls or savory muffins and a romaine salad with mandarin oranges, green onions and toasted almonds.  It's good hot or cold and a nice breakfast or brunch dish as well.

79NOVEMBER...Breakfast & Lunch Thread. - Page 4 Empty Re: NOVEMBER...Breakfast & Lunch Thread. Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:20 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

thesweetestpea wrote:Here's one of the recipes I was talking about.

ARTICHOKE AND CHEESE PUFF

12 oz. marinated artichoke hearts
1 medium onions, coarsely chopped
5 eggs
3/4 tsp. salt
fresh ground pepper to taste
2-3 Tbsp. flour
6 oz. cheddar cheese, grated
1 oz. Parmesan cheese, grated

Drain off 1/4 cup of oil from the artichoke hearts and heat it in a large skillet or shallow, fireproof casserole dish.  Sauté the onions in it until they are beginning to color.  Thickly slice the artichoke hearts or quarter them.  Beat the eggs with the salt, some fresh ground black pepper and the flour until the mixture is perfectly smooth.  Stir in the grated cheeses.  Add the artichoke hearts to the onions and stir them around a little then distribute them evenly over the area of the skillet or casserole.  Spoon the egg and cheese mixture over the vegetables, spread it around gently, and bake the puff in a preheated 350 degree oven for 20 to 25 minutes, or until it is completely set, golden brown and slightly crusty on top.  Serves 4 to 6 or more if cut into small wedges for an appetizer.  I like this especially served with rolls or savory muffins and a romaine salad with mandarin oranges, green onions and toasted almonds.  It's good hot or cold and a nice breakfast or brunch dish as well.
Ooooo! pea...that sounds so good. let me loose with a loaf of bread, and I will devour the whole thing. Uhhh,...with my tabasco sauce in hand though!

80NOVEMBER...Breakfast & Lunch Thread. - Page 4 Empty Re: NOVEMBER...Breakfast & Lunch Thread. Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:42 pm

thesweetestpea

thesweetestpea

I got some Buffalo Wings tabasco sauce and it's pretty good, tastes like tabasco but is thicker.  This is one of my favorite recipes of all time which is saying something since I've been cooking for more that 40 years.  It's really nice when you want something without meat, but I think you could also add some cooked chicken or cubed ham to it if you wished.

81NOVEMBER...Breakfast & Lunch Thread. - Page 4 Empty Re: NOVEMBER...Breakfast & Lunch Thread. Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:57 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Jimmy, a friend of mine, a single mother of 3 hungry girls, use to make a "breakfast for supper" meal of baked egg casserole. Beaten eggs, a bit of flour & baking soda, some milk and whatever leftover meat and/or vegetables she happened to have, probably topped with a bit of cheese. I know 6 eggs and that extra stuff made a 13 X 9 casserole dish and her girls loved it.

Eggs ~ the ingredient that can make any meal.

82NOVEMBER...Breakfast & Lunch Thread. - Page 4 Empty Re: NOVEMBER...Breakfast & Lunch Thread. Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:09 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

I have looked all over here for recipe I saw not long ago,could not find it.Think in was sara moulton..Whipped eggs that made it thick & fluffy.I need to keep looking lol

83NOVEMBER...Breakfast & Lunch Thread. - Page 4 Empty Re: NOVEMBER...Breakfast & Lunch Thread. Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:20 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Jimmy, a friend of mine, a single mother of 3 hungry girls, use to make a "breakfast for supper" meal of baked egg casserole.  Beaten eggs, a bit of flour & baking soda, some milk and whatever leftover meat and/or vegetables she happened to have, probably topped with a bit of cheese.  I know 6 eggs and that extra stuff made a 13 X 9 casserole dish and her girls loved it.

I just got off the phone with my buddy Tom. He always adds cold water to his scrambled eggs.
My grandfather used to always add cream or milk to the scrambled egg mixture.

84NOVEMBER...Breakfast & Lunch Thread. - Page 4 Empty Re: NOVEMBER...Breakfast & Lunch Thread. Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:40 pm

thesweetestpea

thesweetestpea

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:
bethk wrote:Jimmy, a friend of mine, a single mother of 3 hungry girls, use to make a "breakfast for supper" meal of baked egg casserole.  Beaten eggs, a bit of flour & baking soda, some milk and whatever leftover meat and/or vegetables she happened to have, probably topped with a bit of cheese.  I know 6 eggs and that extra stuff made a 13 X 9 casserole dish and her girls loved it.

I just got off the phone with my buddy Tom. He always adds cold water to his scrambled eggs.
My hubs adds water to his scrambled eggs as he says it makes them fluffier and cooks them in a little vegetable oil.  I like mine with a little half and half added and cooked in melted butter.  I prefer my eggs heavier and not fluffy.

85NOVEMBER...Breakfast & Lunch Thread. - Page 4 Empty Re: NOVEMBER...Breakfast & Lunch Thread. Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:53 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

thesweetestpea wrote:
UNCLE JIMMY wrote:

My hubs adds water to his scrambled eggs as he says it makes them fluffier and cooks them in a little vegetable oil.  I like mine with a little half and half added and cooked in melted butter.  I prefer my eggs heavier and not fluffy.
Water does make them fluffier. I will use butter too.
....you know what's good?....scramble like two eggs, place them in a low heat non stick pan, and we like Land o Lakes yellow ( or white ) American cheese.
Break a slice in little pieces, and turn and cook the eggs slow and low so they won't burn. So fluffy, and the cheese flavor, Ummmmm!!!!

I'm getting hungry already; just thinking of that.

86NOVEMBER...Breakfast & Lunch Thread. - Page 4 Empty Re: NOVEMBER...Breakfast & Lunch Thread. Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:09 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

I just thought of powdered eggs.
I ate a lot of powdered eggs in the Navy. Ummmmm! I just love them. Tina gets powdered whole eggs in the bakery supply. Once opened they don't stay long. They absorb moisture, and the powder gets caked.
Tina won't eat them, but she does make them for me.
I think it was like three tbs. powdered egg in 2 tbs. water = 1 egg! LOL

87NOVEMBER...Breakfast & Lunch Thread. - Page 4 Empty Re: NOVEMBER...Breakfast & Lunch Thread. Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:34 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

NOVEMBER...Breakfast & Lunch Thread. - Page 4 DSCN5208

88NOVEMBER...Breakfast & Lunch Thread. - Page 4 Empty Re: NOVEMBER...Breakfast & Lunch Thread. Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:28 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Nice leftover scramble....

I forgot to take pics ~ I made a cheese omelette for Dane and a couple OE eggs for me, some bacon & toast. Not really inspiring but enough to keep us going until it's time for our holiday meal this afternoon.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 4]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum