Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

(Cheater) Apple Crostata

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1(Cheater) Apple Crostata Empty (Cheater) Apple Crostata Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:08 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

When I don't have enough fruit for a "real" pie, and so I don't end up with a huge "poof" of crust above 1/2" of cooked apples, I end up making a cheater apple crostata. A "real" crostata is usually made free-form on a parchment lined sheet pan and the crust pulled up and crimped around the fruit. When I do that I almost always get a tear or a leak and the juices run all over. So, I "cheat" and just put a bottom crust in a pie pan, fill with my apples (or other fruit) and fold the edges over. No leaks, no cut off crust - easy peasy.

Years ago I got a silpat baking mat - and now I LOVE having it! There is no easy way to roll out crust on a tiled countertop without a nice big flat surface.

(Cheater) Apple Crostata PieCrustonSilpatMat

Here's my filled crostata ready for the oven ~ the edges were brushed with milk and sprinkled with sugar for a crunchy finish.

(Cheater) Apple Crostata CheaterCrostata

And here it is fresh out of the oven. The apples will fall and concentrate as they cool.

(Cheater) Apple Crostata AppleCrostata

If I were serving for company I would carefully loosen the edges and slip the crostata out to a cake plate and drizzle with a nice homemade caramel sauce (and, wouldn't you know, a scoop of French Vanilla Ice Cream !!).

2(Cheater) Apple Crostata Empty Re: (Cheater) Apple Crostata Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:33 pm

JanaAZ

You don't need company for the caramel and ice cream!!! Very Happy 

Looks delicious.

I know what you mean about the mat. Our house in Prescott has slate tiles. They look beautiful but are not great for rolling dough. I brought my Roul*pat up there and it makes things so much easier to do.

I can't wait to change out those counters for something nice and flat without grout lines.

3(Cheater) Apple Crostata Empty Re: (Cheater) Apple Crostata Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:28 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

(Cheater) Apple Crostata 4056093967 (Cheater) Apple Crostata 940422454 (Cheater) Apple Crostata 4137497845 

that looks great. I make them in CI skillet too.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum