Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

anyone use a Food Mill ?

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1anyone use a Food Mill ? Empty anyone use a Food Mill ? Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:07 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

someone gave my one as a gift & I put it away. Forgot about it Embarassed 

I just came across it last night.Says you put whole veggies or fruit whole .. the seeds & skins stay in the top.Question Question 

2anyone use a Food Mill ? Empty Re: anyone use a Food Mill ? Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:42 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Yup!

I use mine to process tomatoes for making marinara - cooked tomatoes go in, turn to the right, turn to the left, repeat....

Out comes the juice & pulp - toss the seeds & skins.

Use to make applesauce - no peeling, seeding - just cut & cook, then do the same as the tomatoes.

If you wanted to make REALLY nice mashed potatoes for the boys - same thing. (not that they would notice as they inhaled.....)

Good for making vegetable cream soups.

Love mine.

3anyone use a Food Mill ? Empty Re: anyone use a Food Mill ? Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:55 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

cooked tomatoes go in,

you cook the tomatoes before?

4anyone use a Food Mill ? Empty Re: anyone use a Food Mill ? Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:59 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Yup.

Cook down until there is nothing but mush.  The food mill is used to separate the solids from the cooked.

Same with apples - just cook the heck out and then process. The food mill allows for more texture in stuff than if you put it into a blender or food processor. It is still a puree but thicker.

5anyone use a Food Mill ? Empty Re: anyone use a Food Mill ? Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:19 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

ok this sounds good for butternut squash . Sweet potatoes. Going to play Laughing 

6anyone use a Food Mill ? Empty Re: anyone use a Food Mill ? Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:45 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

I'd love a food mill but it's kind of expensive for how often I'd use it -- not very often.

I'd still love one, though.  Very Happy Let me know if you don't like it and want to sell it to me!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum