Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Food storage

+3
bethk
NormM
Bugster2
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Food storage Empty Food storage Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:07 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

I have a set of Tupperware Stuffables that have seen better days. I like the lids because they are easy to get on and off but they loosen up over time so if one tips over in the fridge you will have a mess. I only like round containers and I am trying to find a replacement for the Tupperware. I can buy the same ones but they are pricey. Most important is the easy on and off lids. What do you use?

2Food storage Empty Re: Food storage Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:20 pm

NormM

NormM

I prefer using glass and clear plastic containers so I can see what is in them without taking off the lids. I like the pyrex storage containers but the lids on them can become loose in time too.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

3Food storage Empty Re: Food storage Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:03 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

I thought of Pyrex but I am so clumsy that I know I would drop them and they would be history.

4Food storage Empty Re: Food storage Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:18 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

IF you don't mind the latching mechanism, I really like the plastic "Lock Lock" containers. They hold securely and have a gasket to eliminate any spillage. However, they can be difficult at times to latch or un-latch.

5Food storage Empty Re: Food storage Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:25 pm

JanaAZ

Bugster2 wrote:I thought of Pyrex but I am so clumsy that I know I would drop them and they would be history.

Same with me. I'd have pieces of the wonderful containers all over the floor.

6Food storage Empty Re: Food storage Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:21 pm

JanaAZ

We bought Rubbermaid containers that are heavier plastic and have a red tight-fitting lid. My husband brings soup to work in these containers and they don't spill. We have about 100 of them (yes, really) and I'm ready to buy another box. I get them at Sam's or Costco since they are much more reasonable than at the grocery store. I've seen a few of the larger ones at the grocery store for about $10. You can get a box of 50 in varying sizes at Sam's club for $30.

7Food storage Empty Re: Food storage Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:49 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

I have seen two kinds of Rubbermaid with red lids. One is sort of a hard plastic and the other has a rubbery red top. Which one do you have?

8Food storage Empty Re: Food storage Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:55 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Tina has been buying a lot of the ZipLock containers. They seem to hold up really well, and the lids hold tight. A little tricky to snap the lids on, but they hold well, and don't absorb odors like the tupperware does. I like the square or rectangular over the round ones.

The holiday (Christmas) printed ones are on clearance now in some stores, and We could care less about the decoration on the container...for the $$Price that is!

9Food storage Empty Re: Food storage Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:52 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

I own a bunch of Ziplock containers, those with the screw-on lids. I love them because they can be disposable, if need be. I use them mainly for freezer containers. They can shatter if dropped though. I can also write right on the container with a marking pen.

10Food storage Empty Re: Food storage Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:00 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

well I tell ya I am the cheapO of the bunch. I hate all the mess with bowls with lids, more bowls with no lids ,,Lids running a muck.i clean it all out put bottoms with the right lid.. Takes up so more space then lids stacked.Then with in days ..Messed up & back to piled up.I have had days where I get so  Food storage 1562938848 I just throw everything on the floor & leave it there lol.

I buy food items (lunchmeat) that come in plastic containers with snap on lids . They are just the right size for loads of stuff I freeze.Dog food etc..leftovers.Soups. etc etc..I use them for scoopers too.In the dry dog food.the cat food, the wood charcoal bag..

Then I use plastic bags.. A LOT>>I like the way they seal. I like the way I can stack them in the freezer.I soak stuff in them. I marinate in them..I use them more then anything..If they are not all bloody or meaty I wash them & reuse.
I take big spoon fulls of dog food like 1/2 cup size,freeze on tray, then put them in bags.they stack great.I did that with containers & it took up to much freezer space.

11Food storage Empty Re: Food storage Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:06 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

I use a lot of plastic bags too, especially sandwich bags. What I need are containers for leftovers or just made things like pasta salads. I am going to Target today and see what they have. Those containers with snap sides are very good but I have a bit of arthritis in my right hand so it can be painful trying to snap those lids. I prefer round because there are no corners that are difficult to clean. The same thing applies to my bakeware: I will not own a pan that has perfectly squared sides. They are impossible to get really clean. Batters tend to ooze into all of the folds and crevices.

12Food storage Empty Re: Food storage Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:08 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

I am going to Target today and see what they have.

Don't use your Credit card lol

13Food storage Empty Re: Food storage Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:31 pm

thesweetestpea

thesweetestpea

I use the lock & lock and the Sistema lock containers, they are different animals but of the same idea, the lock and lock clips lock downward and the Sistema lock upward. The Sistema can be more difficult so go with the lock and lock and both can go in the dishwasher. Amazon has a good selection of sizes. I also have the softer plastic Rubbermaid with the red lids and they are good too.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum