Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Brand New Month... Its " September" of 2013

+4
NormM
Barbara101
bethk
UNCLE JIMMY
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down  Message [Page 5 of 13]

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Well.... It's gonna be eggplant parm, and corn on the cobb.

It is 86 out and very humid. Friday back to 67.

bethk

bethk
Admin

I'm kind of winging it....just doin' with what I have...

I've got the tomato sauce herbed up. I combined the seeded and then peeled roasted plum tomatoes, chopped, with the tomato juice/sauce made from the cherry tomatoes. It's a super rich, very tomato-y tasting sauce. I had a package of chicken thighs to use. So I seasoned them, browned them, dumped the excess fat and now they are stewing (braising) with some vegetables, white wine and stock. When they are fall off the bone tender I'm planning to chunk off the meat and pour over some of the tomato sauce, maybe temper it with a little half and half....make a creamy pink sauce. I'm debating over pasta or rice....

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:I'm kind of winging it....just doin' with what I have...

I've got the tomato sauce herbed up.  I combined the seeded and then peeled roasted plum tomatoes, chopped, with the tomato juice/sauce made from the cherry tomatoes.  It's a super rich, very tomato-y tasting sauce.  I had a package of chicken thighs to use.  So I seasoned them, browned them, dumped the excess fat and now they are stewing (braising) with some vegetables, white wine and stock.  When they are fall off the bone tender I'm planning to chunk off the meat and pour over some of the tomato sauce, maybe temper it with a little half and half....make a creamy pink sauce.  I'm debating over pasta or rice....
Sounds Good Beth...
I vote Pasta though. Rice absorbs and with that delicious sauce, I think the pasta would be the winner. Just MO Smile 

bethk

bethk
Admin

I'm leaning toward the pasta, too. Your vote pushed me in the right direction.....thanks!

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

I cooked pork chops like the way Beth cooked her chicken, now they are simmering in some veggies and tomato sauce.. and I have some noodles to eat with.. I cooked 8 chops, we'll eat 2 for our dinner today, I'll freeze the rest for my DH's meals while I go on my vacation Cool

bethk

bethk
Admin

Amazing how inspiration strikes, huh, Imelda? Your meal sounds really good - and I'll bet he appreciates it when you are half way around the world for a month.

The 10 yr. old tasted the chicken in creamy tomato sauce and told his mom she wouldn't like it...she shouldn't eat any (translated=this is SO good I want it all for me!). I made some nice fettuccini to spoon the chicken and sauce over. It was really good - nice, moist braised dark meat chicken in a sweet tomato sauce smoothed out with some half & half...added some Penzey seasoned green beans and no one complained. The braising liquid got some cut fettuccini added and it will be a wonderful chicken noodle soup for a certain Mr. Amazing's lunch tomorrow. He will smile all day with a bowl of homemade chicken soup and a grilled cheese sandwich for his lunch. He won't even complain there is no meat I his soup...the broth is SO flavorful.

Boy, the men in this house are REALLY gonna miss me.

Brand New Month... Its " September" of 2013 - Page 5 1838020472 

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

To nights Wednesday Supper
I made eggplant parm. No sauce, just a thin slice of tomato, and topped with mozzarella cheese; and then broiled.

Brand New Month... Its " September" of 2013 - Page 5 83vm

Brand New Month... Its " September" of 2013 - Page 5 Mp7e

Brand New Month... Its " September" of 2013 - Page 5 Qrht

Corn on the cobb too!... Check out the weird muted corn rows on that one ear! It was so sweet though!

Brand New Month... Its " September" of 2013 - Page 5 2f81

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

Jimmy.. cute pan.. is it electric? and I want the corn, the one that weird one.. I like corn with big kernels Laughing 

my pork chops are delicious, I served one chop for each of us, my DH asked for 2nd chop.. and when I asked him how many chops he wanted me to put in individual bags to keep in the freezer, he said "TWO", so he only has 2 more servings left for later, I thought I could freeze 6 bags for 6 meals.. I was wrong
 No 

Brand New Month... Its " September" of 2013 - Page 5 29

served over noodles and sauteed cabbage

Brand New Month... Its " September" of 2013 - Page 5 30-3

bethk

bethk
Admin

Ah, yes....a cultural difference......you grew up and meat was a small part of the meal and vegetables were much more plentiful. When we were growing up the main part of the meal was the meat, then came the starch and the vegetables were almost an afterthought. Well, unless you grew up on a farm and then the vegetables were plentiful.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Imelda HL wrote:[b][color=#339933]Jimmy.. cute pan.. is it electric? and I want the corn, the one that weird one.. I like corn with big kernels Laughing 

Nice meal Imelda.
Pork chops are always better with the bone on.

That fry pan IS electric. It is one from the 1960's. It was one that was sold at Western Auto stores then. It is heavy thick cast aluminum.
Nothing sticks to it, and the heat of the bottom is even and fries evenly.
My Mother In Law had one like that, and she cooked banana crepes in the pan.
They were square, and we called the thin Hankies! hahahahahahaha

I will call on Tina to make them for me. She knows the recipe and exactly how to ,make them. I eat mine plain with butter and lemon juice; or with drizzled honey and crushed walnuts or pecans..

bethk

bethk
Admin

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:To nights Wednesday Supper
I made eggplant parm. No sauce, just a thin slice of tomato, and topped with mozzarella cheese; and then broiled.

Corn on the cobb too!... Check out the weird muted corn rows on that one ear! It was so sweet though!

I really like that way of making eggplant parm....no mushy stuff, still nice and firm.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:
UNCLE JIMMY wrote:To nights Wednesday Supper

I really like that way of making eggplant parm....no mushy stuff, still nice and firm.  

Yeah! I first got that way of making it from "peep" on the other forum.
It was only one eggplant just for Tina and me, and we nibbled on the ones I didn't cheese
and bake till they were all gone.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Sometimes I do something similar with chicken cutlets....not your favorite, I know. But I slice them in half and even pound a bit so they are really thin, then just seasoning and a dusting of flour, browned about 1 minute per side, topped with "raw" tomato sauce (fresh tomatoes, chopped & barely cooked with other vegetables) and then fresh mozzarella and under the broiler until just gooey and melted.

It's quick and easy....and pretty tastt!

Barbara101

Barbara101

Brand New Month... Its " September" of 2013 - Page 5 Qrht

Jimmy, your eggplant is 100% better then hers.It is not greasy & burned Brand New Month... Its " September" of 2013 - Page 5 1838020472  sorry just had to say it..But true..

bethk

bethk
Admin

And the reason Jimmy's is so nice is because of that electric fry pan.....JMO.

I miss mine, but it died years ago and I have not seen one I like since. The temperature stays constant and the bottom of the pan is usually heavier on the older pans....wonder why no one ever made one out of cast iron?? Now, THAT is one I would buy today, especially if it had high sides so you could do "deep fat frying" with that nice, constant heat. That would be a real multi-use appliance for me.

Barbara101

Barbara101

I have one too. Mine has a non stick lining tho. OLD OLD Sunbeam.I use it ALL the time. Has a very high dome lid.

Seems like I see proctor S still makes them.I see them at Wal Mart.If this one ever craps out I will buy another one.

Barbara101

Barbara101

I am having leftover bacon wrapped chicken tonight.SOOOOOOOO freaking good. I can not believe it took me so long to get a smoker. Brand New Month... Its " September" of 2013 - Page 5 2855670339 

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:And the reason Jimmy's is so nice is because of that electric fry pan.....JMO.

I miss mine, but it died years ago and I have not seen one I like since.  The temperature stays constant and the bottom of the pan is usually heavier on the older pans....wonder why no one ever made one out of cast iron??  Now, THAT is one I would buy today, especially if it had high sides so you could do "deep fat frying" with that nice, constant heat.  That would be a real multi-use appliance for me.
The thick aluminum is the trick to the frying. They don't make aluminum fry pans since the British claimed the aluminum causes cancer and Alzhiemers.???

My family had been cooking with aluminum pots and pans for years.
They all lived to ripe old ages.

When I fry, I fry the one side at 340 and then when I flip to fry the other side, I lower the temp to 300 to 315.

bethk

bethk
Admin

But, Jimmy, look what happened to YOU by eating out of aluminum pans for so long......

Brand New Month... Its " September" of 2013 - Page 5 2876911673 Brand New Month... Its " September" of 2013 - Page 5 2876911673 Brand New Month... Its " September" of 2013 - Page 5 911454047lol! 

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

confused bounce 
bethk wrote:But, Jimmy, look what happened to YOU by eating out of aluminum pans for so long......

Brand New Month... Its " September" of 2013 - Page 5 2876911673 Brand New Month... Its " September" of 2013 - Page 5 2876911673 Brand New Month... Its " September" of 2013 - Page 5 911454047lol! 
Sleeplol!  

bethk

bethk
Admin

Burgers on the grill. Hash browned potatoes. Buttered corn.

Last meal I'm cooking in Ohio.....planning on going out tomorrow night.

THEN I'M OUTTA HERE !!!

Er, I mean....then I'm outta here - darn......

Barbara101

Barbara101

Brand New Month... Its " September" of 2013 - Page 5 2876911673 Just remember at your age you can not do cartwheels down the ramp to the plane. But if you do,wear pants..Brand New Month... Its " September" of 2013 - Page 5 3326752767 

bethk

bethk
Admin

At MY age I claim not to be able to walk all the way to the gate and see if I can get a sweet young man to push me in a wheelchair.......

JUST KIDDING !!!

The couple hours waiting at the airport is the worst. Remember when we could get there 20 minutes before our flight and still get to the gate with minutes to spare?

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:At MY age I claim not to be able to walk all the way to the gate and see if I can get a sweet young man to push me in a wheelchair.......

JUST KIDDING !!!

The couple hours waiting at the airport is the worst.  Remember when we could get there 20 minutes before our flight and still get to the gate with minutes to spare?
Just wear your apron Beth, and tell them you got to get on board early to start cooking.

Yeah Right! ..... Bags of peanuts.

Darn...lightening strike and just lost power. And I said to Tina, get the flashlights in case we lose...ppppppower, and PoW! It shut down. It reset the breaker on the street 30 seconds later. Back on line!!!

Tina said I'm a Jinx!

bethk

bethk
Admin

The rest of us would just be sitting in the dark....but Jimmy can reset the breaker at the street!

I want a Jimmy next door to ME!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 5 of 13]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum