Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Brand New Month... Its " September" of 2013

+4
NormM
Barbara101
bethk
UNCLE JIMMY
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13

Go down  Message [Page 13 of 13]

NormM

NormM

It is supposed to be one of the healthiest foods you can eat. I figured if I added some bad stuff like bacon and cooked it in fat instead of water, we'd like it more but nope.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

Crybaby

Crybaby

NormM wrote:It is supposed to be one of the healthiest foods you can eat. I figured if I added some bad stuff like bacon and cooked it in fat instead of water, we'd like it more but nope.

Brand New Month... Its " September" of 2013 - Page 13 2876911673 I hear you, Norm!

thesweetestpea

thesweetestpea

NormM wrote:Everything was good but the chard.  It's the second time I have ever made it and we just can't fall in love with it.
I wanted to like it, too, Norm and even grew it in my garden 20 years ago, but we didn't like it a bit nor do we like Kale, which is the "it" thing now. We like cabbage, Brussels Sprouts, mustard greens, collards and turnip greens but not chard or kale. I got a nice head of cabbage at the farm market today and some more of the white potatoes which are so silky and creamy. They are locally grown Yukon Golds. Bought some Cortland apples and got what may be the last of Michigan blueberries from Traverse City for a pie and some muffins.

Barbara101

Barbara101

count me in too.kale, chard,brocolini (sp) broccoli rabe,spinach is the only green I really like.The others are to bitter.

bethk

bethk
Admin

I'm the "odd man out" here....I love chard. I remove & start to steam the 1-1/2" cut stems to soften before I add the cut leaves. We just have with butter, s&p and maybe a squeeze of lemon or a splash of cider vinegar.

Another "green" we eat a lot are beet stems & leaves - because they taste like the chard, I guess. I really like braised kale, done with bacon, onion or leek and cooked just until tender, but Dane won't eat them. I do NOT like the baked kale leaves that are suppose to be eaten like chips - yuck all 3 times I tried them.

So, it's to each his own and if you don't care for it, don't have to eat it!

Barbara101

Barbara101

Finally wings on sale..cheers I bought loads..Brand New Month... Its " September" of 2013 - Page 13 3267860543 

I am going to throw some in the smoker & then grill some.Nothing fancy just Franks hot sauce & butter.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Ohhhh, try some with a homemade teriyaki sauce.....

I'll just bet that would only be made better with the addition of the smoky taste.

bethk

bethk
Admin

I won't be cooking today.

Going to brunch with Lyn & Bill after church, then, tonight Bill has asked me to count the ballots for the "People's Choice" at a charity Rotary event, Taste of the Place (or some such name), where they will have 20 restaurants/caterers showing off their wares. I don't know if pictures are allowed but we'll see, and maybe I'll have something interesting to share.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

The cluck cluck Chicky legs are on the grill. I hate brushing on the BBQ sauce.
Next time, I'm gonna but the sauce in a squeezy plastic bottle, and just squeeze it on.

The salads... Mac and potato were made yesterday. Thank Goodness. Tina is on the recliner sleeping. She had to take benedryle because her face got blotches and all welts. Then it traveled to her left side neck, and her shoulders got like rosheola bumps like measles on them.
No fever...but we are trying to figure what the heck.

She was in church last Sunday, and came home with a rash on her forhead after drinking the wine at the offering.

Always something!!! P I T A for sure!

bethk

bethk
Admin

Oh, Poor Tina! She'll sleep it off and hopefully be awake to eat the chicken she's been hungry for.

Next time, Jimmy, try to do the sauce the same way I do for wings. After they are completely cooked on the grill I put them in a big bowl with some BBQ sauce in the bottom. I just stir and toss, toss and stir - until they're coated. Then, back on the grill for a bit of charring of the sauce and gettin' sticky.

Beats messin' around with a brush over the hot coals or gas flame....

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Oh, Poor Tina!  She'll sleep it off and hopefully be awake to eat the chicken she's been hungry for.

Next time, Jimmy, try to do the sauce the same way I do for wings.  After they are completely cooked on the grill I put them in a big bowl with some BBQ sauce in the bottom.  I just stir and toss, toss and stir - until they're coated.  Then, back on the grill for a bit of charring of the sauce and gettin' sticky.

Beats messin' around with a brush over the hot coals or gas flame....
Thanks Beth... I did them in a 13 X 9 pyrex with non stick foil. above a pan of water in the gas grill... I will take pics ...came out crispy and not too burned.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

OK... this is it!

Jimmy's BBQ Chicken Legs.....

Came out good and really well done, but the pull on the bone slid it right out.
I ate two of them, and then one piece that Tina didn't finish.

Brand New Month... Its " September" of 2013 - Page 13 Bozp

Brand New Month... Its " September" of 2013 - Page 13 0vnv

Here is that Cherry Nut Butter Cake Tina made yesterday.
Again...like a fruit cake, but more cake than fruit, and only diced cherries and pecans. As you can see...she is basting with a pretty expensive liquor.

[Brand New Month... Its " September" of 2013 - Page 13 Kywi

Brand New Month... Its " September" of 2013 - Page 13 H3s7

Brand New Month... Its " September" of 2013 - Page 13 I9au

I will post the recipe Beth as soon as I extract it from the recipe folder on the other computer. 

bethk

bethk
Admin

Congratulations on the chicken, Jimmy! I'm glad you could enjoy it.

The cake looks like the kind of fruit cake I would enjoy. Thanks for looking for the recipe for me.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Congratulations on the chicken, Jimmy!  I'm glad you could enjoy it.

The cake looks like the kind of fruit cake I would enjoy.  Thanks for looking for the recipe for me.
Thanks Beth! It could have been a little dryer for me personally, but it was done well, and the outside was crispy.

Tina and I grabbed that cake after supper, and I kept slicing off thin pieces till the darn thing started to shrink to a point where....Whoa! Enough is enough. Haaaaaa!!!

I had posted that recipe on the old old c.com years ago, but too bad!
I have it on the old computer. I'll post it soon as I crank up the old Dell desktop!

bethk

bethk
Admin

I pulled some of the taco meat for my supper - easy heated & wrapped in some warmed flour tortillas with chopped onion and tomato....didn't even bother with slicing up some lettuce. Oh, and I added some sour cream. Good enough.

Barbara101

Barbara101

Brand New Month... Its " September" of 2013 - Page 13 Doubledeckertacos425

Brand New Month... Its " September" of 2013 - Page 13 2876911673  Brand New Month... Its " September" of 2013 - Page 13 3602300868 

bethk

bethk
Admin

I just figured everyone could just picture my tacos in their mind, but thanks for the visual, Barb!

LOL

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

I found some really leftover old chili from God only knows when, and ate a bowl with crackers.

Lunch was a can of sardines in hot sauce with a small roll.

That was it. I may make a fried egg and cheese later on.

Tina is having veggie lasagna the neighbor brought over yesterday.

Barbara101

Barbara101

bethk wrote:I just figured everyone could just picture my tacos in their mind, but thanks for the visual, Barb!

LOL

after pic, i piled on the cheese ,, more sour cream.geek 

thesweetestpea

thesweetestpea

We tried a new recipe tonight and Larry prepared it and it was very good and easy. I got it off of FB from a friend who posted it on my wall. I think a lot of you would enjoy the flavors and ease of preparation.

Basically it was 4-6 boneless chicken breasts (you could use thighs if you want), 4-6 diced and unpeeled red or gold potatoes (we had gold from the farm stand) and 1 1/2 lbs. fresh green beans, trimmed. I would have to use frozen beans in the off seasons, thawed and drained, because I won't buy stuff from Mexico, Chile, etc. Melt a stick of butter (I think half stick would be okay) and place the chicken in a line down the middle, place the potatoes on one side and the beans on the other. Drizzle evenly with melted butter and sprinkle a packet of dry Zesty Italian salad dressing mix over everything. Bake, covered, for 1 hour, 20 minutes or until all are tender and chicken done.

He said it too 5 minutes to assemble except for cleaning the green beans -- I said I would probably do the green beans ahead of time and store in the fridge to make the recipe later in the week.

Hey, Jimmy, since you hate chicken, I think you could use some boneless loin pork chops or a small boneless pork loin instead of chicken.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

thesweetestpea wrote:We tried a new recipe tonight and Larry prepared it and it was very good and easy.  I got it off of FB from a friend who posted it on my wall.  I think a lot of you would enjoy the flavors and ease of preparation.  

Basically it was  4-6 boneless chicken breasts (you could use thighs if you want), 4-6 diced and unpeeled red or gold potatoes (we had gold from the farm stand) and 1 1/2 lbs. fresh green beans, trimmed.  I would have to use frozen beans in the off seasons, thawed and drained,  because I won't buy stuff from Mexico, Chile, etc.  Melt a stick of butter (I think half stick would be okay) and place the chicken in a line down the middle, place the potatoes on one side and the beans on the other.  Drizzle evenly with melted butter and sprinkle a packet of dry Zesty Italian salad dressing mix over everything.  Bake, covered, for 1 hour, 20 minutes or until all are tender and chicken done.  

He said it too 5 minutes to assemble except for cleaning the green beans -- I said I would probably do the green beans ahead of time and store in the fridge to make the recipe later in the week.  

Hey, Jimmy, since you hate chicken, I think you could use some boneless loin pork chops or a small boneless pork loin instead of chicken.
It's not that I hate chicken, but it is that I do not like chicken moist and soft.
I like the outside crisp, and the inside dry.
Like... I don't know if you ever had these, but Kentucky chicken used to make these chicken small bites called popcorn chicken. They are not the tenders...I don't like them, but the popcorn is crunchy and dry on the inside.
Tina used to tell the man to cook mine really overdone.
Now they don't make them any more. Sad 

The kids say, they may come back and start to make them again.

The pork would be nice to do. Pork rules like Emeril says.

bethk

bethk
Admin

I'll bet that would be an easy recipe to adapt to a lesser amount.....just cut back on everything.

You could even make it on the grill, offset from the fire until steamed and then over the hot flame to crisp up just a bit when cooked through.

Great inspiration, Pea - Thanks~

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 13 of 13]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum