Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Auction update....

+3
Imelda HL
JanaAZ
bethk
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Auction update.... Empty Auction update.... Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:10 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

As I've mentioned, we are signed to have an auction of all our household property on August 17th.  We had help from the girls this weekend to go through some things, letting them decide is there was anything they wanted or could use.  We've told them that if they see something they want even after the auction people get our belongings organized they still get to  take it.

We found a paper bag that must have been in the deep recesses of the garage for years and long-forgotten and inside was a bunch of items that were in our 1993 T-Bird when it "died" and we had to go to the dealership to clean it out.  That was in 2004.  The funniest thing was my old cell phone....complete with massive and long car charger.  Man, that phone must weigh half a pound and is gigantic, with a big flip-down cover....right out of 1995, I'm sure!  We put it with the sale items...gonna see if there's a market for useless junk.  LOL

Auction update.... 1838020472

2Auction update.... Empty Re: Auction update.... Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:12 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

The auction lady was here to take pics of our trash,,,,er, treasures, last week and they are now posted as advertising on their website.

OMG, how embarrassing! Do people really want to purchase from hoarders? She took a pic of my kitchen, complete with covered counters and not at all the way it normally looks. But if you are living in chaos and your daughter is trying to stash her belongings while not packing up other stuff....well, let me just say, it is more humiliating than I imagined.

But, what the heck, you all ought to be able to see what a trashy person I really am....

http://www.pamelaroseauction.com/26640LimeCity.html#.UefW9su9KSM

3Auction update.... Empty Re: Auction update.... Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:31 am

JanaAZ

One man's trash is another man's treasure. My husband is an avid train collector and I saw several trains in your 'trash'. I'm sure he wouldn't think it was trash.

4Auction update.... Empty Re: Auction update.... Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:09 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

The auction organizers were here yesterday to get the last of our stuff put in order for the auction. They have all our belongings in some semblance of order so on the day of the auction they can pull everything out and set it up for inspection.

Of course I just came across yet another stack of 45's in a box here in the house. I just took time to sort through and I'm just laughing at the assortment. There are a bunch of Bob Dylan and Rolling Stones....then the mood changes and I see Trini Lopez and Ray Stevens' Gitarzan. Hahahahaha! And, of course each and everyone has my maiden name written on the label because we would all get together for a party and we all had to be sure we got our records back.

Now that everything is in some order Dane and I can go look through stuff we have all but forgotten and reminisce about times long gone.

Oh, and the best part is he kept fiddlin' with his old '56 International pickup and got it started so we can sell it as a complete vehicle instead of a big pile of parts. I didn't think it would make a big difference but the auction organizer guys said collectors rebuild original engines for the fun of it and its important when they still run. Go figure.

5Auction update.... Empty Re: Auction update.... Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:58 pm

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

good luck Beth and I'd like to hear/read the follow up story

6Auction update.... Empty Re: Auction update.... Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:30 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Well, if our treasures bring in lots of money I'll be happy and talkative (Beth, "talkative"....how unusual) .

Auction update.... 2790317363 

If no one wants to buy our belongings, I'll be grumpy and talkative.....

Auction update.... 2787578702 

7Auction update.... Empty Re: Auction update.... Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:24 pm

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

so how was the auction Beth? are you busy counting the money you got now? Wink  can't wait to hear your story about it bounce

8Auction update.... Empty Re: Auction update.... Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:38 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

I would be super sad.Sad 

9Auction update.... Empty Re: Auction update.... Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:45 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

THANK GOODNESS IT'S OVER !!!!!

We couldn't have had a better day for our auction...blue skies and sunshine.  But I woke at 2 a.m. ....all wired up and unable to fall back asleep.  They were here by 5:30 to start setting things out on tables...tables lining our entire circular driveway....from here to WAY, WAY over there.  I never saw so much junk,,,,,treasures interspersed, of course.

The crap people will buy....it truly is true, one man's junk is another man's treasure.

Be right back.....DD's new kitchen table is coming in the door....

The auction was a great way to be rid of a large accumulation of stuff. We had made up our minds we had gotten our money's worth from every item so whatever it sold for was fine.

10Auction update.... Empty Re: Auction update.... Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:37 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:THANK GOODNESS IT'S OVER !!!!!

We couldn't have had a better day for our auction...blue skies and sunshine.  But I woke at 2 a.m. ....all wired up and unable to fall back asleep.  They were here by 5:30 to start setting things out on tables...tables lining our entire circular driveway....from here to WAY, WAY over there.  I never saw so much junk,,,,,treasures interspersed, of course.

The crap people will buy....it truly is true, one man's junk is another man's treasure.

Be right back.....DD's new kitchen table is coming in the door....

The auction was a great way to be rid of a large accumulation of stuff.  We had made up our minds we had gotten our money's worth from every item so whatever it sold for was fine.  

YaYYYYYYY!!! So now you are in the PINK!@

Great!... So glad it all turned out great Beth!...

DD had some great news. She just got a call that she won a $500.00 Gas Card from the church festival raffle. Of course Mommy Bought her the $5.00 Ticket in DD's Name.

11Auction update.... Empty Re: Auction update.... Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:43 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

]Ziti with a tomato sauce and meatballs I made today.

I fried some finger size meatballs too for munching.

Auction update.... E4kp

Auction update.... U0t1

Auction update.... 3e8m

Auction update.... Nw9s

12Auction update.... Empty Re: Auction update.... Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:51 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

allright then.. Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed 

clearly I made a big booboo.so much for moving jimmys dinner to the dinner thread Auction update.... 1838020472 Auction update.... 1838020472 Auction update.... 2876911673 Auction update.... 2876911673 

jocolor jocolor scratch 

13Auction update.... Empty Re: Auction update.... Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:52 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I had to assist Mr. Amazing as he assembled DD's new high top table. We just had supper sitting at it and it is really quite comfortable - padded seats on t he backed stools with a dark wood 48" table. She's very happy with her new look in the kitchen.

But back to the auction.....we had some "primitive" items, old, rusty tools, used in a time long gone. People were more than happy to bid high for what I would have tossed in the trash. Sure am glad I didn't. Many other things, like my oak dining room table and kitchen table and chairs galore went to people who could use and appreciate them. That is a very good thing. The most ridiculous item sold, IMO, was an old 6-pak metal Pepsi carrier, filled with dirty Vernor's Ginger Ale bottles that sold for $55. Dane picked it out of the trash someplace many years ago and hoarded it....go figure.

DD was upset some of her items were given away....a usable couch and recliner that sold for $1 each. Who knows what will or won't sell? It's so very strange. All in all, we were happy to have everything purchased and removed from our yard. Dane's vehicles sold on the low side, but the men who purchased them seemed to be very excited to get to work on them and they will be cared for and not sent off for scrap value. We're just happy we didn't lose money on the auction and most of our belongings will be used by people who are happy for the good deals they got.

It was a good weekend, we had fun with our daughters, son-in-law and all our grandchildren....it doesn't get any better than that.

14Auction update.... Empty Re: Auction update.... Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:03 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Barbara101 wrote:allright then.. Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed 

clearly I made a big booboo.so much for moving jimmys dinner to the dinner thread  Auction update.... 1838020472 Auction update.... 1838020472 Auction update.... 2876911673 Auction update.... 2876911673 

jocolor jocolor scratch 
WHATT THEE HECK DID DUMB A$$ JIMMY DO?

TINA WAS RIGHT.... THE BIG "A" IS HITTING JIMMY!Sad 

AM I HERE? HI" WHO ART THOU? ... IS THIS THE MENS ROOM?

15Auction update.... Empty Re: Auction update.... Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:19 pm

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

are we going to have an auction on Jimmy's meatballs too? bounce lol! Auction update.... 940422454 

16Auction update.... Empty Re: Auction update.... Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:22 pm

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

I'm glad you had a good time on your auction day yesterday Beth and happy that you could make some money on the your stuffs Auction update.... 3593629538 

17Auction update.... Empty Re: Auction update.... Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:04 am

LisaSD

LisaSD

It's always surprising what they'll go for.  I watch the trends online and make sure my boss at the estate sale company I work for doesn't price things too low.  This last one we worked on had some great items that I felt were priced waaay too cheaply and sure enough, within the first 5 minutes, people were hauling them to the "hold" tables!  I went and raised the prices on some things without telling her and they were still sold immediately, so she ended up making more money than she would have.  Right now people love old rusty things for their walls and to put on top of their armoires and things, so I'm sure your hay forks, pitchforks and lanterns went for a good price right?

18Auction update.... Empty Re: Auction update.... Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:57 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Oh, yeah, that crap was sold by the individual piece instead of being grouped together.

And one thing I knew would not garner any money was the huge ....I mean HUGE....solid oak entertainment center. I knew friends who could not give theirs away OR donate anyplace. The thing weighed a ton.....took 3 big men to move the thing. I worked long, long hours years ago so I could buy the darn thing....even found my original sales receipt from 2002 when I bought the furniture and we remodeled our house. I paid $1,299 for it. It sold for $20.

BUT - it's no longer taking up valuable real estate in my living room and DD's TV can sit on the stand in that spot in the living room where the surround sound system is installed..

19Auction update.... Empty Re: Auction update.... Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:05 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

bethk wrote:And one thing I knew would not garner any money was the huge ....I mean HUGE....solid oak entertainment center.  I knew friends who could not give theirs away OR donate anyplace.  The thing weighed a ton.....took 3 big men to move the thing.  I worked long, long hours years ago so I could buy the darn thing....even found my original sales receipt from 2002 when I bought the furniture and we remodeled our house.  I paid $1,299 for it.  It sold for $20.

BUT - it's no longer taking up valuable real estate in my living room and DD's TV can sit on the stand in that spot in the living room where the surround sound system is installed..
I was never a huge fan of them but I think the problem is just what you said -- they're HUGE! Boy that person got a deal at $20! I remember my friends telling me of their auction (I think I told you already). They said they were disappointed about lots of the bigger pieces, like some antiques they had. But then they said they couldn't b*itch because a "fake" Oriental rug they paid $50 sold for near $500. Which leads me to believe some people really know good stuff and others maybe just assume something is "authentic" because of the company it kept at the auction -- like all the nice furniture.

I'm glad you freed yourself up from all your stuff and can only imagine how good it feels, especially when moving for good!

20Auction update.... Empty Re: Auction update.... Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:20 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Our main objective was to not leave all our lifetime of trash for our girls to have to dispose of should something happen to us. We know they will have no problem selling the furnished villa in Florida so should we just drop over unexpectedly, all they would have to do is remove our personal items...

And I think our girls took anything that had good memories for them, old family items they grew up with or things they could use. The rest was just "stuff" - and way too much stuff to leave sitting around to just get older and less useful. Hopefully those who purchased our things will find enjoyment and usefulness for many more years.....kind of recycling and repurposing to keep it out of some landfill.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum