Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

February 2024 - Spring is coming, soon!

+2
bethk
Cookin Lore
6 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 5]

bethk

bethk
Admin

Breakfast for supper......

February 2024 - Spring is coming, soon! - Page 3 02_15_14

cookingirl likes this post

52February 2024 - Spring is coming, soon! - Page 3 Empty Re: February 2024 - Spring is coming, soon! Fri Feb 16, 2024 10:47 am

Cookin Lore

I had a same old/same old stirfry with shrimp.  You've all seen it several times before.  I have given myself a challenge for today.  I probably mentioned that we have a group in the building which meets for tapas on Friday afternoon..  my challenge?  When I was in Morrocco in 2017, I had an amazing salad which I am going to try to replicate (sort of)  I think it's called a composed salad. or possibly a fruit salad plate.  I have done it once before as a lunch for me and my sister.  Sending those two pictures now for comparison.  Hopefully today's presentation will be comparable.  I think for presentation today, I will put it on a footed cake plate that I have and have never used.  
I was going to make a dipping sauce/dressing, but decided to just have two different balsamics available.  Fingers crossed.

February 2024 - Spring is coming, soon! - Page 3 02_15_10

February 2024 - Spring is coming, soon! - Page 3 02_15_11

bethk, cookingirl, Imelda HL and JanaAZ like this post

53February 2024 - Spring is coming, soon! - Page 3 Empty Re: February 2024 - Spring is coming, soon! Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:41 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Very nice, Lore!

54February 2024 - Spring is coming, soon! - Page 3 Empty Re: February 2024 - Spring is coming, soon! Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:50 am

Cookin Lore

bethk wrote:Very nice, Lore!

Thanks, the second one is mine, obviously. Will send picture of today's attempt when done. I think. LOL

bethk and cookingirl like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

No cooking tonight.

HE had a basal cell sliced off his temple yesterday ~ figured HE'D be just fine. I tried to get the staff at the dermatologist's office impress on him to believe NO GOLF was the rule. HE insisted it would be just fine. HIS doctor overheard our conversation and came out to tell HIM ~ NO GOLF!!! and if HE decided to play and ripped open the site to simply go to the ER instead of coming to her office.....

And, low and behold, HE couldn't get any sleep last night and cancelled his reservations for the next week (as instructed).

Then HE had to have a sonogram at the VA for something bothering him. That wore him out even more. HE'S on the couch with an ice pack on his head, covered up with a blanket ~ HE asked me to make some more chicken stock because HE'S used all of my freezer supply lately. So, that's done and HE'LL have some for his supper.

I'm going out with Lyn, Barb & Cathy ~ I don't even care where.....just not here! LOL

NormM

NormM

Due to a recent bread cooking spree, I have ended up with some day old bread so I made an Italian vegetable soup that uses croutons.

February 2024 - Spring is coming, soon! - Page 3 Image-31

bethk, cookingirl and JanaAZ like this post

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

Cookin Lore

No cooking as such, but I prepared the salad I posted about earlier. So, of course, I was snacking as I worked. Salad was a big hit! and also a lot of work. I had brie cheese, shrimp, smoked salmon; then avocado, pink grapefruit, apple, strawberries, pineapple, forgot the papaya I had in the fridge. I went to a local specialty store for some fabulous balsamics, bought a couple of baguettes for dipping. Parsley and some salad greens as a base. It was really nice. Sending picture!

cookingirl

cookingirl

Still too busy to cook.. too much going on...
Just had cheese and crackers last night..

I feel like making either beef stew, or American chop suey,  for this week. Have to look at my recipes.. It will be a bit warmer.. so no soup..  I have my mom's recipe for traditional beef stew, or my own recipe for beef stew, which has more veggies than beef, and a bit of wine.. thinking of my recipe.

I have a Ceasar salad in the refrigerator. Have to eat that. I may take out a frozen small container of minestrone, for tomorrow. Not sure. Need to use up so things in freezer before I cook.
It is Lent, so no meat on Fridays.

I need to look at my recipes..

Norm, your breads are always delicious looking...

Geoffrey:February 2024 - Spring is coming, soon! - Page 3 Img_1727

I cannot have any fish in here because of him!! Crazy cat!! When I have a can of tuna, I have to buy a large can, to split with him!!

Went out with a friend for lunch/early supper the other day. I was craving salmon!
Got a grilled salmon filet with a balsamic glaze, with grilled asparagus and Cole slaw. It was so good-- I at sit all...

bethk, NormM and Imelda HL like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

HE wanted his eggs so I cooked for myself.

It's been a dreary, drizzly day ~ awful enough for me to complain.....59°, overcast, misty, drizzly rain. ICK! But by dodging the drops during a lull in the rain I was able to pick the few snow peapods from the plant HE put in a pot a long time ago. The peas had really matured but there weren't many....maybe 25 at most. But it was just for me so I sliced them in half and did a beef stir fry. Beef & Peapods. Pretty yummy!

February 2024 - Spring is coming, soon! - Page 3 02_17_17

cookingirl, Imelda HL and JanaAZ like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner Tonght. I stuffed a piece of pork tenderloin with onion mushrooms that needed to be used up. Delish. A nice thick slice of butternut squash and half of a very large sweet potato. We have three different colours of them now. The “flesh” of the one I had today is yellow like a Yukon gold potato. Very tasty."

February 2024 - Spring is coming, soon! - Page 3 02_17_18

bethk, cookingirl and Imelda HL like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

I just got an update on Jimmy. Please continue to keep him in your prayers......

Ms. Tina said, "Hi Beth, he’s getting stronger every day. He’s doing his therapy but when he walks his heart rate drops. That’s what they’re concerned about and they don’t want him to do too much therapy because that his heart rate also drops. They’re trying to build him up with vitamins and he takes a concentrated protein liquid. I have a meeting on the 22nd of this month and they will let me know how he has been progressing and the doctor said he was doing good. She was in Friday she said she does not want him to overdo therapy because sometimes they push you to the limit, and she told him no because of his heart, Thank you for your prayers. Thank everyone for us."

bethk

bethk
Admin

I had the meat off the chicken legs I used to make my last batch of chicken stock ~ I thought about making a nice big bowl of chicken salad just for me......but then I had a 'genius' idea.  Since HE says HE can't eat anything but eggs (personally I think much of that is just in HIS head) ~ if I make something HE really likes, maybe HE'LL decide a 'real' meal isn't so bad after all!

So, I put my plan into action without telling him my plan.

I had a bag of mixed vegetables in the freezer and I got them started to boil in a bit of the newly made chicken stock.  About that time HE came out to the kitchen to 'snoop' around.  I could tell HE was curious.  So when HE asked, "What are you making?" I answered, "None of your business!"  Hahahahaha ~ but 'fessed up immediately with, "I'm going to make a Chicken Pot Pie."

HE got a smile on his face (did I mention a chicken pot pie is one of HIS absolute favorite meals?) and HE said, "I guess I could eat some of that....."  (Funny, but I don't remember offering any....)

But it's nice to know my sneaky method to get him to have a meal worked!

I cooked the vegetables until they were about half-way cooked and made a thick bechamel with butter, flour, s&p and about 1/2 c. of water with some 'Better Than Boullion Chicken' and some whole milk & a touch of heavy cream.  I chopped the chicken and stirred that into the vegetables & chicken stock and then added the thick bechamel sauce.  I put the pan into a bowl of ice water to cool it down and then stashed it in the refrigerator until I was ready to assemble.

I did have to go to the store to get a package of the Pillsbury refrigerated pie crusts ~ and, yes, I could have made pie crust ~ but DID I want to make it?        NO !  

LOL

I do roll out the crusts a bit to smooth the edges.  I beat an egg yolk with a bit of heavy cream and brushed that all over the bottom crust ~ it helps keep from having a 'soggy bottom' when the pie bakes.  Then I filled up the crust with my cooled chicken filling and added the top crust ~ tucked the edges & fluted (just the way Grandma taught me).  I brushed the top with the egg/cream so it would get nice and golden and sprinkled it with a bit of flaky sea salt and added some freshly ground black pepper.

I put it into a 475° oven, on the bottom rack, for 20 minutes and it's now on a foil lined pan in the middle of the oven that's been reduced to 350° ~ probably for a good 45 minutes.  I'll keep an eye on it and if it's getting too dark I'll add some foil to the top.

It will have to sit for a good 30 - 35 minutes to 'rest & settle' after it comes out of the oven before I try to cut it into slices.

I'm going to have it with some sliced tomatoes ~ I found some at a local farm market that look pretty good.  I sure hope it's red on the inside and not full of green icky seeds.......

February 2024 - Spring is coming, soon! - Page 3 02_18_13

February 2024 - Spring is coming, soon! - Page 3 02_18_14

And here it is.....HOT out of the oven:

February 2024 - Spring is coming, soon! - Page 3 02_18_15

NormM, cookingirl and JanaAZ like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

So we ate about half an hour early ~ and there were NO complaints!

I was happy to see, since I cut the Chicken Pot Pie into 8ths that HE was able to 'choke down' two slices. We'll see how he fares tonight & tomorrow (I'm hoping the meal doesn't bother him).

I had to take a picture of the beautifully browned bottom crust. I love when a plan comes together!!! By putting the egg wash on the entire bottom crust it keeps it from getting soggy. The egg cooks quicker than the filling and helps to seal the crust. That, and starting it in a hot oven on the bottom shelf helps a lot.

The first slices were a bit loose ~ still hot after resting for 45 minutes on the stove top. The second slices I served held together much better.

And I served my Chicken Pot Pie with a simple sliced tomato salad drizzled with some basalmic glaze (not too pretty but very tasty).

February 2024 - Spring is coming, soon! - Page 3 02_18_16

February 2024 - Spring is coming, soon! - Page 3 02_18_18

February 2024 - Spring is coming, soon! - Page 3 02_18_17

When my pie was baking I happened upon an ad for a restaurant on the Atlantic coast. It made me feel good to think my pie might be worth $96 if I decided to sell it! LOL

February 2024 - Spring is coming, soon! - Page 3 02_18_19

Cookin Lore

WOW~  THat looks amazing!  I'm sure your pie is worth a whole bunch more than even $96.  But, I saw several pies go for up to about $1,800 in November.  I went to a fundraiser evening in a local church which had a concert and auction to raise money for a very large expansion.  THere was a dozen fancy cupcakes that went for $2,200!  I couldn't believe the amount that people were paying.  I made sure I sat on my hands so that I didn't accidentally buy something.

I went to the same evening last year where someone paid $2,500 for a lovely cake.  As we were leaving, that man stood at one of those high tables that you see at  cocktail parties,  his cake was on the table, he had a handfull of plastic forks and told everyone to come and have some of his $2,500 cake!  At the beginning of the auction, the MC said that the baked items are considered to be worth $20. at retail, and for any amount of $$$$ bid above that, the purchaser gets a tax receipt.  I still didn't buy! LOL

OH, this is really about cooking, which I didn't do today (again) I bought some lovely sushi at the grocery store. I'll have to try to make some again, soon!

JanaAZ

bethk wrote:So we ate about half an hour early ~ and there were NO complaints!

I was happy to see, since I cut the Chicken Pot Pie into 8ths that HE was able to 'choke down' two slices.  We'll see how he fares tonight & tomorrow (I'm hoping the meal doesn't bother him).

I had to take a picture of the beautifully browned bottom crust.  I love when a plan comes together!!!  By putting the egg wash on the entire bottom crust it keeps it from getting soggy.  The egg cooks quicker than the filling and helps to seal the crust.  That, and starting it in a hot oven on the bottom shelf helps a lot.

The first slices were a bit loose ~ still hot after resting for 45 minutes on the stove top.  The second slices I served held together much better.

And I served my Chicken Pot Pie with a simple sliced tomato salad drizzled with some basalmic glaze (not too pretty but very tasty).

February 2024 - Spring is coming, soon! - Page 3 02_18_16

February 2024 - Spring is coming, soon! - Page 3 02_18_18

February 2024 - Spring is coming, soon! - Page 3 02_18_17

When my pie was baking I happened upon an ad for a restaurant on the Atlantic coast.  It made me feel good to think my pie might be worth $96 if I decided to sell it!  LOL

February 2024 - Spring is coming, soon! - Page 3 02_18_19

Chicken pot pie is one of our favorites too. Steve is always up for it. Yours looks fabulous.

66February 2024 - Spring is coming, soon! - Page 3 Empty Re: February 2024 - Spring is coming, soon! Sun Feb 18, 2024 10:01 pm

JanaAZ

It’s been a soup kind of weekend. First we had Zappa toscana which for some reason tasted better than usual. Then yesterday I made creamy tomato basil soup that he’s been asking for thr last few weeks. And he was looking for some homemade bread which I didn’t have. So today I made him a loaf of that for dunking.

No photos of the Zappa toscana or bread but here’s his tomato soup

February 2024 - Spring is coming, soon! - Page 3 Img_0210

cookingirl

cookingirl

Saturday, I took out my recipe for seasoned beef with vegetables. A 'fancy' name for beef stew. Not my mom's recipe. It is one I got years ago from Cooking Light Magazine. Man, they had some really good recipes.
Made up a shopping list for stuff.
Was going to go either after church on Sunday, or Monday.

Neither is got done.. I came down with what I feel is the Flu... Covid test this morning was negative. Had chills yesterday, Post nasal drip, cough, headache, fever, joint aches.
Did not sleep last night due to coughing from the PND.. dam..

The recipe is hanging up on my door... and the grocery list is just sitting there.. sigh.

I ended up staying on the recliner, dozing, while watching the British version of Antiques Roadshow.

Today got up with a temp of 100.9--- 100.7 after Tylenol.. ugh..
I doubled up on all my asthma meds; per order of pulmonologist. He said, if I feel as if I am coming down with something-- to immediately double up the dose... Also doubled the dose of Flonase.

I hate being sick. I usually end up with bronchitis, sinus infection, and many times pneumonia.
I am vaccinated with everything. Covid, RSV, Prevnar 20 (pneumonia), and Flu.. They better kick in..

Geoffrey wanted to stay with me, on my lap.. but my coughing kept scaring him. Poor baby. He kept jumping down and returning when coughing spell was done.

I did inform my PCP that I am sick. I also told her, I may need another script for codeine cough meds. ... only way, I can get some sleep.. and rest for my lungs..
I have mucinex in the house. Hate to use it cuz it gets me jumpy.. but I will cut down the dose, If I have to... It has been over a year since I was sick with Covid/pneumonia/bronchitis.

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Cyn, so sorry you got hit with a 'bug'.....that's always a way to ruin your week.

I haven't had any bouts in the last few years ~ yea for me! But when I DID have the constant, non-stop coughing, I could take a Hydrocoden (usually prescribed for pain but didn't work as a pain reliever for me) and the codeine stopped my cough for 4 - 6 hours. It was a lifesaver for me.

I hope you feel better soon.

Cookin Lore

It's never fun to get a
bug" of any kind. Sorry to read about it. I have been very lucky this winter, so far! I also tend to end up with bronchitis after a bout of a cold etc. All I can say is, take care of yourself and rest.

It's really smelling good in my kitchen. I have pork hocks in the oven to make some head cheese. Promised 91 year old uncle that I was going to make it soon. And, I went to a 90 year birthday party last week (son's father-in-law), and gave the birthday "boy" a gift card to make some for him. Invitation said best wishes only, but he sure smiled when he saw what my gift was going to be.

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Lore, giving a gift from the kitchen, especially for someone in their 90's is such a fabulous idea!

They don't need any more socks or ties or 'things' ~ but a tasteful memory is worth so much!

bethk

bethk
Admin

HE didn't have any problem with last night's chicken pot pie. (( Phew! ))

So when HE inquired about tonight's supper I simply asked, "What sounds good to you?"

HE came up with an easy one ~ Burger done on the charcoal grill. It's super easy because HE'S in charge of cleaning, setting up and loading the charcoal and getting it started in the chimney. All I have to do is put on the burgers and turn them each once.

I have my 'condiments' plate ready and in the refrigerator, some potatoes ready to boil and I actually picked the few green beans off the patio pots. Since the weather has been so cool we haven't had much of a crop ~ and with 4 days of rain the ones that were on the plants grew to be giant beans....but they'll still be flavorful. I simply had to wash them, snip off the stems & cut them so they all cook at the same time. Easy peasey!

NormM

NormM

While I am on a bread baking spell, I thought I'd try some decorative scoring. This was my third try. I have some ideas for my next attempts. A lot of the examples I saw used a dark bread and a layer of white flour on top for contrast. My bread is white so I mixed a little cocoa with the flour to make a dark top coating. I didn't see anyone doing that but the put cocoa in flour to make marbled rye so it shouldn't taste any different. ( i guess I can always cut off the crust if I don't like it) I have some other ideas to try in the future.February 2024 - Spring is coming, soon! - Page 3 Image-32

bethk, cookingirl and JanaAZ like this post

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

Cookin Lore

bethk wrote:Lore, giving a gift from the kitchen, especially for someone in their 90's is such a fabulous idea!

They don't need any more socks or ties or 'things' ~ but a tasteful memory is worth so much!

Thanks.  Yes, I know that these two will love the gift.  But, I forgot, I have another place to take some of the headcheese.  My late hubby's best friend Peter has a birthday coming up on Feb. 29.  He's going to be 94, and both he, and his wife Dora love it also.  So, I always have to make a big batch.

I had a lovely friend here in the building, she was older than I, and I remember  she joked about being at university when I was in Diapers.   she died three years ago.  She was from England, and called the headcheese "Potted pig".  And also got some two or three times when I was making it.
She was an amazing artist. And soooo smart.  She taught physics and English.  I asked her how it was, in classes, being a girl, when women who studied physics was pretty rare.  She smiled and said "I thought it was rather nice to be the only girl in a class of young men!"  When her daughter cleaned out her condo she asked me if there was something of her mom's that I would like to have.  She gave me a beautiful water colour painting of pansies.  

Sending a picture of the painting. I see it every time I walk my hallway.

February 2024 - Spring is coming, soon! - Page 3 02_19_10

bethk

bethk
Admin

It's amazing how such a simple supper can taste so good.....so happy it was HIS idea!

February 2024 - Spring is coming, soon! - Page 3 02_19_18

bethk

bethk
Admin

HE was asked again what HE wanted for supper. I figure it's HIS stomach, let HIM decide....and that takes the onus off me to think of an idea. LOL

HE said HE wanted fried chicken (I thought it was a mistake but it's HIS choice).

So, I prepped the zucchini, summer squash, carrot & onion for a big pan of vegetable spaghetti to be the side dish. I knew it was something that HE likes and shouldn't bother HIS stomach.

And then off to Publix I went.....

February 2024 - Spring is coming, soon! - Page 3 02_20_15

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 5]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum