Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

WHAT'S COOKING THIS OCTOBER 2022? "Goblins & Witches Are Looking for YOU!!"

+2
bethk
UNCLE JIMMY
6 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 6]

bethk

bethk
Admin

We were warned of a 'cold front' that is moving through the state.  We woke up to 50° and pretty breezy.....a little cooler than our usual 70's and still air in the morning.  I told my daughter that 50° here is like 25° in Ohio.  Brrrrrrr!  LOL  (I've turned into a wimp!)

But it is an absolutely beautiful day ~ 65° with a bit of a breeze and clear blue skies.  Perfect to sit and 'blow the stink off' as Grandma would say.  

I'm going to take advantage of the cool weather ~ it's SOUP WEATHER !!!

I found some decent kale at the local WinnDixie and wanted some nice ham hocks to simmer for the base stock.....and not a one to be found.  I couldn't find them at WalMart yesterday, either.  So, I settled on some smoked turkey wings and a package of 'Spiral Ham Trimmings'......because the ham was super cheap and all I really wanted was to use it for flavoring.  The ham actually had enough nice (and tasty) ham that I could cut into little bits to use in my finished soup.

I've got the pot going now ~ a sort of 'Stone Soup' ~ WITHOUT the stone.....

I started with some onion, carrot & celery, added a pinch of red pepper flakes with the salt to season.  Then I added a couple little potatoes cubed up.  Then it was time for the canned stuff ~ Rotel Tomatoes w/Chiles and a nice can of Canollini Beans.  I added enough stock to kind of fill the pot and when everything is cooked I'll add the washed & chopped kale.

I love soups like this ~ no name for it so 'Stone Soup' will do just fine.

(I'm having a terrible time trying to insert pics.....don't know if it's me or the site.

WHAT'S COOKING THIS OCTOBER 2022? "Goblins & Witches Are Looking for YOU!!" - Page 4 10_19_17

UNCLE JIMMY likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

HE got his flu shot AND a Covid Booster at the VA Clinic on Monday ~ all puffed up and proud of the fact he's that tough!  I mentioned I'd opt for getting MY annual flu shot and booster Covid about two weeks apart because I know both put me in bed for a day to doze off and on.

Well, TODAY it hit HIM.....he tried to take a couple naps but couldn't fall asleep, but couldn't do anything but lay around.  He'll be fine in a day or two.

So, Stone Soup was just the ticket for supper.  If you aren't feeling up to par, soup is just the thing to nourish you and comfort you all at once!

WHAT'S COOKING THIS OCTOBER 2022? "Goblins & Witches Are Looking for YOU!!" - Page 4 10_19_19

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner Tonight. Small pork schnitzel, fingerling potatoes and delicata squash."

WHAT'S COOKING THIS OCTOBER 2022? "Goblins & Witches Are Looking for YOU!!" - Page 4 10_19_10

bethk and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Yesterday I pulled one of my 'half' chuck roasts from the freezer to thaw in the refrigerator....so this morning I just had to go out to the garage storage and grab a little CrockPot to cook my roast in.

And, as usual lately, I switched things up a bit to see how it goes.  I don't have any little CrockPot liners, just the BIG ones, so I simply gave the inside of the pot a spritz of PAM and then got going.

I chopped half an onion to lay the beef on & season it.  The beef got a sprinkle of S&P on both sides and plopped on top of the onions.  I added a couple glugs of some Malbec (red) wine and then, at the last minute, decided to add the half package of dry Hidden Valley Ranch Seasoning Mix to the top of the beef ~ have never used it on it's own without the addition of the brown gravy mix & Italian salad dressing seasonings for the 'Italian Beef' CrockPot recipe.  But, hey, we'll find out how it goes.

I do have the plastic lid 'attached' to the pot with a couple rubber bands to remind myself (OK, so it's meant to stop HIM) from opening the CrockPot and allow all the heat & steam escape.  No matter how many times I've said, "DON'T open the CrockPot!", HE can't resist removing the lid to take a look and sniff the steam.....

WHAT'S COOKING THIS OCTOBER 2022? "Goblins & Witches Are Looking for YOU!!" - Page 4 10_20_20

Hahahahahahaha!!!

And for my lunch today I'm using the leftover asparagus for some creamed asparagus over toast ~ it's not for everyone.....a childhood special treat that only happened on very few occasions.  But I love it and DD#1 loves it.....wish she was here to share it with me!

WHAT'S COOKING THIS OCTOBER 2022? "Goblins & Witches Are Looking for YOU!!" - Page 4 10_20_19

bethk

bethk
Admin

Just a quick mention......Missing Imelda.  I know she said she was visiting family in September but it seems it's been a long time since she's visited.  

I'm hoping she's just on an extended visit or has been busy.

If you check in, Imelda, know you've been missed!

Note on Edit: I had reached out to Imelda and she IS visiting family and will return soon ~ so all is well.....Will be happy to see her return!

Last edited by bethk on Fri Oct 21, 2022 9:22 am; edited 1 time in total

bethk

bethk
Admin

Tonight's CrockPot Pot Roast was pretty tasty. We had enough for our supper and leftovers for ONE lunch portion. So much better than my normal 'Extra Meal' leftovers. HE will most likely have the single serving for his lunch and I won't have to deal with it.

I did have to add a bit of boxed stock to the de-fatted drippings to make gravy ~ but that's fine with me. Not too much, not too little ~ just right!

WHAT'S COOKING THIS OCTOBER 2022? "Goblins & Witches Are Looking for YOU!!" - Page 4 10_20_21

NormM

NormM

WHAT'S COOKING THIS OCTOBER 2022? "Goblins & Witches Are Looking for YOU!!" - Page 4 Image-18
WHAT'S COOKING THIS OCTOBER 2022? "Goblins & Witches Are Looking for YOU!!" - Page 4 Img_0212
Yesterday was quite cold. Today it was very pleasant to be outside. Last night Charlie brought home from the store some pre seasoned chicken for me to cook. I got some plain chicken and added it in. He learned that those grocery store preparations are not always the best. With mine, I brined them in applle juice, honey and salt for about twenty minutes, rinsed and dried them, sprinkled the with Cajun seasoning and smoked them all in the smoker @ 250º until they tested at 165º..about 3 1/2 hours. Lore got my attention when she mentioned Greek potatoes so I tried them too. The coleslaw was a copycat KFC recipe.

bethk likes this post

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

We had beef soup with the tiny meatballs in it for the beef. I ate two spoons, and threw it out.
The kernels of corn were tough. The mixed frozen veggies by Green Giant was the culprit.
They must have used field corn in the mix.
We had cupcakes for dessert.

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Busy morning.....I had to decide what soup / stock was going into the freezer and get the containers marked. Then I decided to use the last of the rotisserie chicken for some chicken salad because I had some red grapes in the drawer that needed to be used. Turns out I had enough chicken salad for my lunch today and my lunch tomorrow.....why is it DINNER leftovers are not something I will eat but leftover-leftovers are something I will look forward to? I'm a strange one.....

I finally have the leftover carcass & bits from the rotisserie chicken in a soup pot to make a quart of stock. With all the 'sickies' I've made soup for my chicken stock supply is depleated. Gotta get some more in the freezer 'just in case'....

I don't know what's for supper.....haven't gotten that far in my thinking this morning.....

WHAT'S COOKING THIS OCTOBER 2022? "Goblins & Witches Are Looking for YOU!!" - Page 4 10_21_13

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Zero thought's for what to make. Tina is out at walmart and she will pick up a burger for me for lunch. I do have a plan using greens to make minestra and beans. We shall see!

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

What to cook when you don't have a clue what you want???

In MY case, it turned into a 'clean out the refrigerator' frittata and sausage patties.

Amazingly, it was pretty tasty! (Not bad for a "I-Don't-Know-What-I'll-Fix" night.....)

WHAT'S COOKING THIS OCTOBER 2022? "Goblins & Witches Are Looking for YOU!!" - Page 4 10_21_14

bethk

bethk
Admin

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, JIMMY !!!

I BAKED A CAKE FOR YOU ~ ENJOY!

WHAT'S COOKING THIS OCTOBER 2022? "Goblins & Witches Are Looking for YOU!!" - Page 4 10_22_15

bethk

bethk
Admin

No cooking tonight......going out with neighbor Jim......

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

We had carryout Chinese tonight. The kids came over tonight, and we all cut out the pumpkins.
Tina and I are the GREAT grandparents, and we don't find it easy to sit on the floor, and the worst getting up.
So the grand parents pitched in doing the heavy work.
I then had my birthday cake, ( a small coconut cake ) and a chocolate cake for the others; and the rest of my cake.
The little ones were pulling and scraping out the seeds and stringy sinew. It was funny hearing them
say yuck, phew, stinky stinky grandpop. hhahahahaha.
Tomorrow, they are coming over to have city chicken. I did 6 pounds of pork and veal, and wound up with 48 city chicken
all breaded and refrigerated 4:30 am this morning. All I have to do, is fry them for tomorrows supper.
We have plenty of apple sauce to eat with the city chicken. We canned a bushel of it.

bethk likes this post

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:HAPPY BIRTHDAY, JIMMY !!!

I BAKED A CAKE FOR YOU ~ ENJOY!

WHAT'S COOKING THIS OCTOBER 2022? "Goblins & Witches Are Looking for YOU!!" - Page 4 10_22_15
Wow, Thanks Beth. I've got so many cakes, I guess I better eat them..... WHAT'S COOKING THIS OCTOBER 2022? "Goblins & Witches Are Looking for YOU!!" - Page 4 3470128989 WHAT'S COOKING THIS OCTOBER 2022? "Goblins & Witches Are Looking for YOU!!" - Page 4 863604796

bethk likes this post

NormM

NormM

Happy Birthday Jimmy!

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:Happy Birthday Jimmy!

Thank you Norm. See, I caught up to you.

bethk and NormM like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

It's an absolutely beautiful day here....temperature in the low 80's and clear blue skies. And I've been putzing around IN THE HOUSE all day.....so dumb. But there were things I wanted to get done.

I did thaw out a couple burger patties ~ gonna grill them on charcoal, along with a thick slice of onion for me. I'll probably brown up some Crispy Crown potato tots ~ and I've got some red beets with the stems/leaves to have with the burgers. I already know he wants his on a toasted bun and a slice of cheese melted on top.....

bethk

bethk
Admin

I was thrilled to manage to cook with only a few red beets leftover.....a burger each (his with a bun) and just enough Crispy Crowns to be enough to satisfy (he got more than the 6 I ate....) without being too much. The little 8" cast iron skillet is the perfect size to brown them up and get them golden.

WHAT'S COOKING THIS OCTOBER 2022? "Goblins & Witches Are Looking for YOU!!" - Page 4 10_23_13

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner And dancing! My dinner was a simple London broil, Hasselback potato and a sliced tomato. The dancing part, just for fun. Yesterday was my uncle Ernie’s 90th birthday party. Actually, he’s my late husband’s uncle, but I met him as uncle Ernie, so that’s what he is to me. We had an amazing party, way too much food, lots of fun, seeing people that he has known for 50 or more years. And, there was music. Uncle and his late wife were both phenomenal dancers (me not so much) but he and I had a wonderful dance . I am still recouperating from the party. 50 people, full sit down dinner. Take out food delivered by local Chinese restaurant. Uncle does like his food."

WHAT'S COOKING THIS OCTOBER 2022? "Goblins & Witches Are Looking for YOU!!" - Page 4 10_23_10

bethk

bethk
Admin

I thawed a package of the pork shoulder chunks and did a pretty hard sear on them to render a lot of the fat. I reduced some white wine in the skillet after removing the pork and then some chicken stock ~ along with some soy based marinade I had in the refrigerator ~ to let it all become a braising liquid. Not sure if I'll brown the meat some more after it's tender and let the soy stuff glaze the meat......time will tell.

I have an acorn squash to bake in the oven with the pork and a pot of green beans to finish out the meal.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Supper was OK.....it's so disappointing when you realize the squash you just bought was green tasting and bland even though it looked beautiful on the outside with dark green skin and some 'ripe' looking orange. Fortunately the butter and s&p helped make it so we could eat it.

WHAT'S COOKING THIS OCTOBER 2022? "Goblins & Witches Are Looking for YOU!!" - Page 4 10_24_15

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner Tonight. I’m not very inventive, nor energetic to cook these days. Stir fry of mushrooms, onion, red pepper in a cream sauce over egg noodles for me. Yumm!"

WHAT'S COOKING THIS OCTOBER 2022? "Goblins & Witches Are Looking for YOU!!" - Page 4 10_24_10

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Tina had tooth root canal done this morning, so I made her something soft.
......... Chicken soup using broth. And, I made matzo balls which she loves.
Now when I make soup, I cook the onion whole. I eat the whole soft onion. Ohhh so good!
Note! ... "I like a little soup with my pepper!"

WHAT'S COOKING THIS OCTOBER 2022? "Goblins & Witches Are Looking for YOU!!" - Page 4 Img_2222

bethk likes this post

NormM

NormM

Charlie asked for Korean Chicken Wings. WHAT'S COOKING THIS OCTOBER 2022? "Goblins & Witches Are Looking for YOU!!" - Page 4 Img_0214
WHAT'S COOKING THIS OCTOBER 2022? "Goblins & Witches Are Looking for YOU!!" - Page 4 Img_0215
WHAT'S COOKING THIS OCTOBER 2022? "Goblins & Witches Are Looking for YOU!!" - Page 4 Img_0213

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 6]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum