Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

WHAT'S COOKING THIS OCTOBER 2022? "Goblins & Witches Are Looking for YOU!!"

+2
bethk
UNCLE JIMMY
6 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 6]

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Tomorrow, will start out as waffles for breakfast'.....
I'm thinking of gnocchi with a marinara tomato sauce....For supper!

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

I'll go to the local Mexican Restaurant for Ladies' Lunch with 4 other neighbors.....it's happy for us that Hurricane Ian missed us and we get to continue our lives as if nothing happened at all!

After going out for lunch I probably won't want supper ~ HE may get a couple scrambled eggs with a slice of cheese melted on top........

Maybe more, not sure.

UNCLE JIMMY likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner With my family. So Michael at far right, the birthday boy, then his wife Amy, then other DIL Lisa, opposite her, son Danny, then my nephew David, then me in blue.

And picture of basil flatbread with goat cheese and balsamic reduction. Yumm!"

WHAT'S COOKING THIS OCTOBER 2022? "Goblins & Witches Are Looking for YOU!!" 10_01_13

WHAT'S COOKING THIS OCTOBER 2022? "Goblins & Witches Are Looking for YOU!!" 10_01_14

bethk and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

I have a little half rack of ribs thawing......haven't decided on sides.

The little half rack of ribs will sit, seasoned with homemade rib rub, until tomorrow. Neighbor Jim insists on taking us out tonight because Dane helped him secure all his outside furniture before the hurricane and then put it back in place when the (non) hurricane threat was over.

So, we're going out for pan fried pot stickers and probably other appetizers ~ Jim & I like the same 'little plates' so we usually split a bunch of different stuff. Dane's not so much a lover of appetizers so he'll probably get his usual burger & fries and we'll all be happy.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Burgers and fries ....... So far.

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner Tonight clean out the fridge salad and spicy shrimp sautéed in butter."

WHAT'S COOKING THIS OCTOBER 2022? "Goblins & Witches Are Looking for YOU!!" 10_02_23

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

I made supper today. Fried onions with baby kidney beans mixed into
medium pasta shells. Tina likes her onions sliced thinly on the mandolin, and I
love to just chop my onions large. SOoooo! we had the same meal, but prepped a
different way.
Ooops!.... I forgot to mention, I made chicken broth, with Matzo balls for us yesterday.
Tina is battling a cold; so I'm running the kitchen, the infirmary, and cooking for us.

bethk likes this post

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Just love love love these matzo balls in broth.
Easy to eat , for poor Tina's sore throat....

WHAT'S COOKING THIS OCTOBER 2022? "Goblins & Witches Are Looking for YOU!!" Img_2218

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Good for you, Jimmy, for taking over the kitchen to get Ms. Tina feeling better!

The best part of going out yesterday was knowing I have my meal plan decided for today!

Woo Hoo !!!

bethk

bethk
Admin

when I was rearranging stuff in the refrigerator freezer I came across the bag with the two rotisserie chicken breasts I had pulled off the bird from the last one I picked up.  I'm not a huge fan of cooked & frozen proteins (or any leftover proteins, for that matter) but when I saw them I was suddenly hungry for some Buffalo Chicken Dip....for my lunch.

And I have to say, the frozen and thawed chicken breast worked perfectly for that dip.  Once thawed I sliced/chopped the meat ~ because it had broken down when frozen it shredded easily.  Then I poured on the Frank's Buffalo Chicken Sauce.....then added the softened cream cheese & the last little bit of Hidden Valley Ranch dressing from the refrigerator.  Oh, and I chopped up a few green onions.

Everything got mixed up and put into a small casserole dish, sprayed with PAM.  I pre-heated it in the microwave and then put it into the toaster oven for about 10 minutes to get it bubbly.

Normally it gets mixed with or sprinkled with shredded cheese but you all know why that step gets skipped by me........

I had it spooned in a bowl & sprinkled heavily with chopped celery to be scooped up with some Fritos (which I bought today just for that dip).

There's enough leftover to have it again tomorrow. I made a second little casserole and took it down to Darlene for her & Tom tonight.

WHAT'S COOKING THIS OCTOBER 2022? "Goblins & Witches Are Looking for YOU!!" 10_03_13

WHAT'S COOKING THIS OCTOBER 2022? "Goblins & Witches Are Looking for YOU!!" 10_03_14

bethk

bethk
Admin

I'm happy tonight's supper was planned and decided on Saturday.....the older I get the less ideas that sound good to eat come to me.

And then there's the 'short-term-memory-loss' ~ or just too much time on my hands......

At 2:00 p.m. I THOUGHT it was 3:00 p.m. ~ so, since I had the little rack of ribs already situated on a roasting pan, I put it into the oven and turned on the oven to preheat.....

Then I realized I was an hour early so, I immediately returned to the oven and pushed the 'OFF' button. It beeped. I planned to turn it back on when it was 3:00.

At 3:00 p.m. I went to start the oven and realized the front of the stove was hot ~ STUPID ME! Instead of pushing the 'OFF' button for the oven I pushed the timer button.....it wasn't on but it beeps when pushed anyway. So, the ribs were baking for an hour.....and much too early.

All I could do was turn the oven off and let them sit.

At 4:30 (we eat around 5:00 every evening because that when HE likes the dinner hour to be....) I simply removed the cooked ribs from the oven, removed the foil covering & slathered them in a bit of BBQ Sauce.....then turned on the toaster oven to broil and let them brown/sizzle/cook the sauce on the ribs.

Fortunately for me, HE really likes his ribs 'fall-off-the-bone' tender.

So, I guess even with my mistake supper was a success!

LOL

WHAT'S COOKING THIS OCTOBER 2022? "Goblins & Witches Are Looking for YOU!!" 10_03_15

WHAT'S COOKING THIS OCTOBER 2022? "Goblins & Witches Are Looking for YOU!!" 10_03_16

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Looks like a great ribs to me Beth. we like the ribs falling off the bone also.
I just finished making a snack for us. Pita bread pizza. I had two ripe tomatoes that I scalded; and peeled , and made the pizza sauce. I just brush the pita bread with olive oil; and add the sauce, and cheese .....Mozzarella and Romano cheese; then in the toaster oven on turbo bake till the cheese is browned. Previously, DD baked us chocolate chip cookies.

Tina is a lot better from being ill, but I was happy when she ate two wedges of the pizza.

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner Tonight. Pork chop, squash and roasted baby potatoes all done in the oven at the same time. I can’t remember when I last had a great pork chop! Yumm!"

WHAT'S COOKING THIS OCTOBER 2022? "Goblins & Witches Are Looking for YOU!!" 10_03_17

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Plans are shrimp, salmon,, and pot stickers. Tina picked it up at the Asian market down by her uncles

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Still in a cooking funk.....nothing sounds good.

HE went to pick up some carry out ~ hope it helps me think of something for tomorrow......

(( sigh ))

bethk

bethk
Admin

I saw a 'lone' boneless/skinless chicken breast in the freezer ~ decided to simmer it until tender and make a pot of chicken noodle soup.

Of course, as soon as I got going the temperature went up.....it's not exactly 'soup weather' today.

But HE likes most soups so I'm sure he won't mind.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Our (former) neighbor, Marilyn, is experiencing a lot of illness & one problem after another.  She had some doctor appointments today so I texted her to see if she would like some chicken noodle soup for their supper.  She was more than grateful to not have to cook tonight.

So we both had homemade chicken noodle soup!

WHAT'S COOKING THIS OCTOBER 2022? "Goblins & Witches Are Looking for YOU!!" 10_05_13

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner Tonight. Lamb chops, squash wedges with a hunter style mushroom sauce. Tomato and cucumber slices."

WHAT'S COOKING THIS OCTOBER 2022? "Goblins & Witches Are Looking for YOU!!" 10_05_14

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

CHICKEN SOUP HERE TOO.

bethk

bethk
Admin

All during the forecasted hurricane we had cable TV and internet. Today, with nothing but brilliant blue skies, the TV cable has been going out. I'm hoping to get this post made before I lose internet yet again......

(( and Comcast charges an arm & leg for this service.....has my first born as a down payment ))

Tonight was the package of Salisbury Steak that I stashed when I made the meatloafs last time. I made a 'triple batch' of mashed potatoes knowing I'd need a container for the leftover two meat patties w/mushroom gravy and a spare to put in the freezer for anytime I decide to thaw them out and reheat them.

WHAT'S COOKING THIS OCTOBER 2022? "Goblins & Witches Are Looking for YOU!!" 10_06_14

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Tina made a little sauce and meatballs. I love those hot cherry peppers that I prepare with olive oil, and garlic.
And guess what? I even had the memory to take a picture.

WHAT'S COOKING THIS OCTOBER 2022? "Goblins & Witches Are Looking for YOU!!" Img_2219

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

I had two ears of fresh corn in the refrigerator that caught my eye this morning. I suddenly had a hankering for corn fritters ~ the kind from my childhood.....the ones Grandma made from leftover corn. It's the comfort food of my youth.

And, just to recreate the scene, I even used Grandma's hand egg beater, the rotary kind, to whip up the egg whites to make the fluffy fritters. I can't for the life of me figure out WHY the egg beater went out of style. It's so much faster to whip up egg whites or heavy cream ~ takes less than a minute. and not hard to wash..... Way easier than trying to whip something using a balloon whisk in a large bowl.

And I forgot to take a pic.....I was eating them practically as fast as I fried them up on the cast iron griddle.

Corn fritters may be MY wonderful childhood memory but they're not for everyone. I remember one time a friend stopped by as I was making them for our supper. She tried one and told me it was the 'most disgusting thing' she ever ate. Of course, SHE loved Spaghetti-O's (out of a can) so I just took her comment with a grain of salt......

Hahahahahahaha!

bethk

bethk
Admin

I was going to make half of one of the chuck roasts I picked up yesterday.  I decided to cut them all in half so it wouldn't be so much leftover when I cooked them, either in the oven with onion, carrots & potatoes or with the 3-dry seasoning packs in the crock pot.  If I decide I want a whole one I'll just plop two chunks in the pot and be good to go.

But since I just made beef (and either we'll have leftovers later this weekend or I'll stare at the casserole dish and decide to stash it in the freezer) I decided I wanted pork chops with one of the little acorn squash.  I think I'll make some lima beans, too......

(and, yes, Lore is my inspiration!)

bethk

bethk
Admin

I was happy the acorn squash was ripe....nothing worse than under ripe (green) tasting & watery squash. The first one I cut in half was obviously green so it got tossed. The second one was a better color inside and the seeds were somewhat separate so I took the chance to bake it off with the breaded pork chop (which was excellent ~ tender and moist). I didn't cook enough lima beans to suit HIM, but I took my serving first so he HAD TO SHARE......LOL!

WHAT'S COOKING THIS OCTOBER 2022? "Goblins & Witches Are Looking for YOU!!" 10_07_12

bethk

bethk
Admin

I made flatbread on the whole wheat lavash I found at the local Publix store.  It bakes up crispy without falling apart.

I top it with a brushing of olive oil, chopped onions, sliced green olives ~ then sliced & shredded mozzarella cheese and finally some par-cooked spiced bacon (bacon sprinkled with a spicy seasoning blend).

It all bakes in about 10 minutes.

HE had a bowl of bean soup to go with his.....I had gone out with the ladies for lunch today so I had MY bowl of butternut squash soup then....love, Love, LOVE squash soup!

WHAT'S COOKING THIS OCTOBER 2022? "Goblins & Witches Are Looking for YOU!!" 10_08_15

WHAT'S COOKING THIS OCTOBER 2022? "Goblins & Witches Are Looking for YOU!!" 10_08_16

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 6]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum