Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

October 2020 - A Haunting We Will Go

+4
UNCLE JIMMY
Cookin Lore
bethk
Bugster2
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 13]

26October 2020 - A Haunting We Will Go - Page 2 Empty Re: October 2020 - A Haunting We Will Go Sun Oct 04, 2020 1:39 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

I'm gonna throw a pot of chicken soup on the stove.

bethk and cookingirl like this post

27October 2020 - A Haunting We Will Go - Page 2 Empty Re: October 2020 - A Haunting We Will Go Sun Oct 04, 2020 1:55 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

One of these days, when I find whole chickens on sale (cheap) I'm going to make chicken stock the way DD#1 makes it.  She uses a huge roaster pan, puts the vegetables, seasoning, herbs & 2 or 3 whole chickens in, fills it with water and then into the oven.  She usually starts it in the afternoon at 350° and then, before she goes to bed, drops the oven temperature to 250° and lets it sit in the oven overnight.

The next morning she carefully pours all the stock into a clean container and cools it down in a sink full of ice water.....then into the refrigerator overnight to be able to remove any fat.

She ends up with the most amazing clear stock with so much flavor.  It's a little more work but the end result is so worth it.

I, on the other hand, go with Grandma's method. (I do so wish I could get the really flavorful hens she got for her soup) I do it on the stove top and when the chicken is tender I pull off the meat while it still has flavor and then return everything back into the pot to continue simmering for a few more hours. My stock comes out really flavorful but not as clear as Andrea's. I do use the 'trick' of putting the yellow onions in with their skins on. An elderly Jewish lady taught me there's a lot of color in those onion skins.

cookingirl likes this post

28October 2020 - A Haunting We Will Go - Page 2 Empty Re: October 2020 - A Haunting We Will Go Sun Oct 04, 2020 4:57 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

I brown my chickens before I put them in the pot and then I brown my vegetables.

bethk likes this post

29October 2020 - A Haunting We Will Go - Page 2 Empty Re: October 2020 - A Haunting We Will Go Sun Oct 04, 2020 5:10 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Everyone has their own 'way' to make stock.....and every way is PERFECT!

cookingirl and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

30October 2020 - A Haunting We Will Go - Page 2 Empty Re: October 2020 - A Haunting We Will Go Sun Oct 04, 2020 5:13 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I'm making chicken parm for supper. I've got my chicken cutlets (marinated in buttermilk & sriracha) coated in panko sitting in the refrigerator before I brown them. I'll add some mozarella and let it melt on top in a warm oven. I decided I wanted fettucini instead of my usual angel hair pasta ~ I'll be using the marinara I 'doctored-up' yesterday to add to both.

UNCLE JIMMY likes this post

31October 2020 - A Haunting We Will Go - Page 2 Empty Re: October 2020 - A Haunting We Will Go Sun Oct 04, 2020 6:08 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

bethk wrote:Everyone has their own 'way' to make stock.....and every way is PERFECT!

Mine isn't clear nor perfect but I don't care. It is brown and tastes good.

bethk and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

32October 2020 - A Haunting We Will Go - Page 2 Empty Re: October 2020 - A Haunting We Will Go Sun Oct 04, 2020 6:33 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Tonight's choice of chicken parm with broccoli was just right for a rainy day.

I was happy I chose to use the fettuccini because I really had a taste for a sturdy pasta instead of my usual 2-minute angel hair. There is enough leftover to have for a reheated lunch later in the week.

I also bit the bullet to get a piece of fresh Parmesan Reggiano at Fresh Market. I usual 'cheap out' and get a store brand. But the last time I was there I noticed they had just cut into a new wheel of cheese so I picked up the smallest piece I could find ($11+) and grated that for supper.. It really does make a difference in taste. I wanted a small piece because then I can keep it wrapped tightly in plastic and stored in the refrigerator in an air tight container so it doesn't dry out too quickly.

October 2020 - A Haunting We Will Go - Page 2 10_04_15

33October 2020 - A Haunting We Will Go - Page 2 Empty Re: October 2020 - A Haunting We Will Go Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:26 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Unless the cheese has Parmigiano-Reggiano stamped on the rind and the cheese looks like it has crystals in it, it isn't real PR. Brands like Belgioso and Stella are not true PR cheese. In fact, they contain wood pulp. They taste ok but not as good as the real stuff. I usually buy a large chunk at Costco because it is good and priced within reason.

34October 2020 - A Haunting We Will Go - Page 2 Empty Re: October 2020 - A Haunting We Will Go Mon Oct 05, 2020 12:29 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

October 2020 - A Haunting We Will Go - Page 2 Img_2025
October 2020 - A Haunting We Will Go - Page 2 Img_2026

Matzo Balls in Chicken soup......
I used two thighs, deboned, and skinned. Bought from the Chester Butcher, and he gets them from free roamers in Pennsylvania. It tastes like chicken we got when we were kids from the chicken man.

I always de-scum / blanch, the chicken first, by boiling the chicken in salted water for 30 minutes, then I rinse the meat, and place the chicken in a new clean pot, with spring well water. I do the onion skins for the yellow color. Then goes the rest of the veggies.
Fresh tomato wedges is a must, along with 6 whole medium garlic spears. I also cut chunks of Locatelli Romano and add that to my soup. They turn into spongy pillows, and we fight to find them in the bottom of the pot when the soup is done.

I made a double batch of Matzo balls because Tina can eat them and with no stomach pain. And I love them too! hahahaha
BTW.... Tina is using OTC Prilosec, and her stomach feels better.

bethk and cookingirl like this post

35October 2020 - A Haunting We Will Go - Page 2 Empty Re: October 2020 - A Haunting We Will Go Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:11 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Soup looks great, Jimmy ~ great job!

I hope just smelling it makes everyone in the house feel better.

36October 2020 - A Haunting We Will Go - Page 2 Empty Re: October 2020 - A Haunting We Will Go Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:37 am

Cookin Lore

Not a good day for me yesterday. My beautiful, talented and courageous sister died after a 17 year battle with the scourge of my family, breast cancer.

Our mother had it at age 60, had a mastectomy and no other treatment and lived to 3 weeks before her 98th. b-day. My eldest sister had it at age 48, had a mastectomy and refused further treatment. When it came back, she had a second mastectomy, again refused treatment because she thought that she knew more than the doctors. She died the day before her 62 b-day. Her daughter had it at 32, had a lumpectomy and said give me whatever you've got to get rid of this thing. She's now 59 and fine. My now late sister, Erika, had a bi-lateral mastectomy 17 years ago and also said give me whatever you've got. It came back 10 years later, more surgery and terrible radiation/chemo but it spread to the bones and there was no stopping it. I had it at age 55, mastectomy and chemo, and am here 21 years later to tell the tale. And, they haven't found the mutated gene in my family.

So, my friends here, check yourself EVERY time you shower, both men and women to keep on top of things.

37October 2020 - A Haunting We Will Go - Page 2 Empty Re: October 2020 - A Haunting We Will Go Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:30 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

I am sorry Lore for your loss. She is out of her misery now. Have you gone to a university hospital that does cancer gene research? My sister has gone to USC's Keck center for genetic studies. They were able to find the gene that caused her colon cancer and tell her it came from my father's side of the family.

38October 2020 - A Haunting We Will Go - Page 2 Empty Re: October 2020 - A Haunting We Will Go Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:39 am

cookingirl

cookingirl

Cookin Lore wrote:Not a good day for me yesterday.  My beautiful, talented and courageous sister died after a 17 year battle with the scourge of my family, breast cancer.

Our mother had it at age 60, had a mastectomy and no other treatment and lived to 3 weeks before her 98th. b-day.  My eldest sister had it at age 48, had a mastectomy and refused further treatment. When it came back, she had a second mastectomy, again refused treatment because she thought that she knew more than the doctors. She died the day before her 62 b-day. Her daughter had it at 32, had a lumpectomy and said give me whatever you've got to get rid of this thing.  She's now 59 and fine.  My now late sister, Erika, had a bi-lateral mastectomy 17 years ago and also said give me whatever you've got. It came back 10 years later, more surgery and terrible radiation/chemo but it spread to the bones and there was no stopping it. I had it at age 55, mastectomy and chemo, and am here 21 years later to tell the tale.  And, they haven't found the mutated gene in my family.

So, my friends here, check yourself EVERY time you shower, both men and women to keep on top of things.  

Oh Lore, I am so sorry. I know you loved our sister very much, taking really good care of her... (((hugs)))

Cancer is such an insiduous disease... leave so much suffering...

Again, my sympathies.

39October 2020 - A Haunting We Will Go - Page 2 Empty Re: October 2020 - A Haunting We Will Go Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:47 am

Cookin Lore

Thanks. Yes, we have to remember that life is short and precious, so enjoy it every day, and use the good china, wear the jewelry and the "good" clothes while you can. Actually, I don't have any "good china" My favourites are from the dollar store! LOL

40October 2020 - A Haunting We Will Go - Page 2 Empty Re: October 2020 - A Haunting We Will Go Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:55 am

Cookin Lore

Bugster2 wrote:I am sorry Lore for your loss. She is out of her misery now. Have you gone to a university hospital that does cancer gene research? My sister has gone to USC's Keck center for genetic studies. They were able to find the gene that caused her colon cancer and tell her it came from my father's side of the family.

We went to McMaster University in Hamilton, ON. But, they share research with many Universities doing gene research, including University of Heidelberg in Germany; and the US. My late daughter Cindy's blood was in a research study at UCLA.

41October 2020 - A Haunting We Will Go - Page 2 Empty Re: October 2020 - A Haunting We Will Go Mon Oct 05, 2020 11:16 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

My heart breaks for you, Lore, as I know how difficult losing a sibling can be. Prayers for you and your family for strength and keeping her love in your hearts.

42October 2020 - A Haunting We Will Go - Page 2 Empty Re: October 2020 - A Haunting We Will Go Mon Oct 05, 2020 2:41 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

I'm so sorry for your loss Lore! God be with her!

43October 2020 - A Haunting We Will Go - Page 2 Empty Re: October 2020 - A Haunting We Will Go Mon Oct 05, 2020 3:55 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I thawed out a couple pork steaks, bone-in, and I'm going to make a pork sauerkraut casserole. I've got a 14 oz. can of sauerkraut that I'll mix with a thinly sliced half head of green cabbage, a couple peeled & grated apples and maybe a few slices of browned bacon.

I plan to layer it above and below the pork that I'll season & flour then sear in the bacon grease.

It's not my usual way of cooking the dish but I wanted to switch it up a bit for a change. I usually do add a grated apple to my canned sauerkraut but Dane never sees me do it ~ today he was 'snooping' around the kitchen when I was peeling the apples and I'm sure he'll make some comment about being able to taste the apple.

I know it's going to happen.....as usually what he doesn't know goes un-noticed by him. LOL

44October 2020 - A Haunting We Will Go - Page 2 Empty Re: October 2020 - A Haunting We Will Go Mon Oct 05, 2020 3:58 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

All of the stores in my area have stopped carrying my favorite jam: dickinson's marion blackberry jam. I now have to order it and pay almost double the price. I ordered it in a 3 pack which is more than we need but I found out you can freeze it so I can do that.

45October 2020 - A Haunting We Will Go - Page 2 Empty Re: October 2020 - A Haunting We Will Go Mon Oct 05, 2020 5:55 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Here you go, Bugs ~ 200 individual packs for $32

https://smile.amazon.com/Dickinsons-Strawberry-Preservatives-200-Count/dp/B01N2HK8W1/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=dickinson%27s+marion+blackberry+jam&qid=1601931211&sr=8-5

OR you could go to Cracker Barrel Restaurant and take all you want out of the jelly containers.....

Hahahahahahaha!

46October 2020 - A Haunting We Will Go - Page 2 Empty Re: October 2020 - A Haunting We Will Go Mon Oct 05, 2020 6:34 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Supper came out pretty darn tasty. No complaints were heard......SURPRISE !!!

October 2020 - A Haunting We Will Go - Page 2 10_05_10

47October 2020 - A Haunting We Will Go - Page 2 Empty Re: October 2020 - A Haunting We Will Go Mon Oct 05, 2020 11:06 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Leftover chicken soup today. 10.05.2020

48October 2020 - A Haunting We Will Go - Page 2 Empty Re: October 2020 - A Haunting We Will Go Mon Oct 05, 2020 11:19 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:All of the stores in my area have stopped carrying my favorite jam: dickinson's marion blackberry jam. I now have to order it and pay almost double the price. I ordered it in a 3 pack which is more than we need but I found out you can freeze it so I can do that.

Debbie, do you have a cracker barrel near you?
I just ordered jam from Kitchen Kettle Village in Intercourse, PA.

https://shopkitchenkettle.com/account/login

https://shop.crackerbarrel.com/food-candy/grocery/baking/dickinsons-marion-blackberry-preserve/97966

49October 2020 - A Haunting We Will Go - Page 2 Empty Re: October 2020 - A Haunting We Will Go Tue Oct 06, 2020 3:20 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

No Cracker Barrel near me. Never heard of it until I was looking for a source for the jam. Must be an east coast store.

Lore, sounds like you were very thorough in your quest for the gene. It must be frustrating.

I was thinking about trying that chuck roast recipe until I went to the local grocery store. Each packet of salad dressing was $2.69. I don't know what the gravy mix cost. I will have to wait and go to Wally's where the price is reasonable. Looks like the seasoning could have been $6. Yikes! For one roast!

50October 2020 - A Haunting We Will Go - Page 2 Empty Re: October 2020 - A Haunting We Will Go Tue Oct 06, 2020 3:18 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I met Lyn for lunch at The Chop House.....I had a shaved prime rib sandwich w/provolone. Ate almost all of it ~ it was THAT good.

Also had a Razzytini ~ a raspberry martini. Didn't have any trouble at all draining that! LOL

October 2020 - A Haunting We Will Go - Page 2 10_06_12

Dane's on his own for supper, a normal menu plan when I go out for lunch. One meal a day is about all my stomach can handle.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 13]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum