Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

April 2020 Is the world playing an April Fools' Joke on us all?

+5
UNCLE JIMMY
NormM
cookingirl
bethk
Cookin Lore
9 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 14  Next

Go down  Message [Page 8 of 14]

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Supper was curbside pickup from MaMa's ......
Sausage pie, Gnocchis for Tina Meatball sub for Jimmy Jr. ; Sherrie and Meranda had ravioli. It was loaded with Burp* garlic raw. O M G ...
Yeah! The kids came over per Tina's request. She misses them.
Maybe the garlic will chase away the CV-19 virus.

Bugster2

Bugster2

I hope it is a bad bone-bang and bruise.

I am so bored that I am going to crochet a throw. I hope the arm isn't too sore to do so. I can't lift my laptop with the injured arm right now but the pain is going away now. I hope my elbow hasn't blown up like a baloon in the morning.

Tomorrow I am going to try and make some sourdough bread. I have a starter going right now. I have never had one before. It is kind of stinky,

bethk

bethk
Admin

Bugster2 wrote:

I have injured myself - again. I don't know if there is a break or just a nasty bruise. I was out in the garage trying to talk to Joe while he was rewinding his air compressor hose. It had another coiled hose attached to that one. Joe was stretching and pulling and the coiled hose snapped loose and hit me in the elbow. Hurts like hell and there is a nice lump and bruise. I will probably find out in the morning how bad things are. The pain is starting to ease now. No apology from Joe. It was my fault because I was trying to talk to him.

Good Grief, Bugs ~ you need BUBBLE WRAP !!!!

Hope it's just a minor problem.

Cookin Lore

bethk wrote:I wanted grouper for supper.....went to the seafood shoppe.  No way am I spending $37/lb. for grouper ~ or any other fish.  I came home with U-12 shrimp which was still $20/lb. but they were pretty tasty.

April 2020 Is the world playing an April Fools' Joke on us all? - Page 8 04_16_11

Much as I love my sons' catches from Lake Erie, I love, love, love grouper and can't get it very often here. Sad Sad  That and the Carribean LObster is what John caught when he went spear fishing the week I spent on their catamaran.  Yummy, yummy, yummy! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy  

And speaking of fishing, son can't launch his boat because all the commercial places to launch are closed. Evil or Very Mad

P.S. $37./lb for grouper? I thought that seafood would be cheaper in places that are so close to the sea? I think when I have been able to get it here it was maybe $18 or 20 and I thought hard about buying it. When I asked about grouper, one fishmonger explained to me that they have to purchase the whole fish, and it is not a good seller, so getting it in for them is chancy whether they sell or throw it out eventually.

Last edited by Cookin Lore on Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:18 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : More info)

bethk

bethk
Admin

Cookin Lore wrote: 

And speaking of fishing, son can't launch his boat because all the commercial places to launch are closed. Evil or Very Mad

And isn't THAT just stupid. People can't go out in their boats to get food because it's not 'essential' ??? It's bad enough being under 'quarantine' but being caught up with 'stupid' is just so wrong.

Cookin Lore

bethk wrote:
Cookin Lore wrote: 

And isn't THAT just stupid.  People can't go out in their boats to get food because it's not 'essential'   ???  It's bad enough being under 'quarantine' but being caught up with 'stupid' is just so wrong.

I think the reasoning is, first of all, who polices why you're going out, but more importantly if you get into trouble, you are going to need to be rescued. Now, one of Danny's fishing friends is building a large "cottage" on the shore of the lake. Eventually he will have a place to launch his own fishing boat, who knows whether it is done already. However, I am pleased that my son is very rule conscious! But he also does not go out on the boat by himself, and his brother can't go with him because they don't live in the same house. We'll just have to put up with this little annoyance until we are all out of this nightmare.

And, back to other food, I am going to make a cheesecake today. Or two small ones.

bethk

bethk
Admin

I've been reading online menus ~ I'm thinking Chinese food for supper tonight.

I don't feel much like cooking for some reason.

((don't believe it ~ I'm just hungry for Chinese! LOL))

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

We are all wishing for Chinese food also. BUT.... We are scared to, because of
Who Knows who went here or there to their associated friends / people / family etc etc.
The same with Italian food, but less of a thought. It's more of a caution, thinking of where the fuse was lit.

Bugster2

Bugster2

Cookin Lore wrote:
bethk wrote:
Cookin Lore wrote: 

And isn't THAT just stupid.  People can't go out in their boats to get food because it's not 'essential'   ???  It's bad enough being under 'quarantine' but being caught up with 'stupid' is just so wrong.

I think the reasoning is, first of all, who polices why you're going out, but more importantly if you get into trouble, you are going to need to be rescued.  Now, one of Danny's fishing friends is building a large "cottage" on the shore of the lake.  Eventually he will have a place to launch his own fishing boat, who knows whether it is done already.  However, I am pleased that my son is very rule conscious!  But he also does not go out on the boat by himself, and his brother can't go with him because they don't live in the same house.  We'll just have to put up with this little annoyance until we are all out of this nightmare.

And, back to other food, I am going to make a cheesecake today.  Or two small ones.

Your son is very smart to not go out on the boat alone. My BIL, a veyr experienced sailor, went out alone, got knocked overboard, and by the grace of God found a balloon in the water that kept him afloat. The idiot was too cocky to have put on a lifejacket. The coast guard was called but it was his brother who found him clinging to a buoy. There were some nasty seals on top that wouldn't let him climb on. The other was Katie's father. He went out alone. They found his body two weeks later.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Dane went down to neighbor Darlene's courtyard to trim her bushes. She's probably inside watching through the window as he gives her bushes a trim.

I took the opportunity to have a lunch treat:

April 2020 Is the world playing an April Fools' Joke on us all? - Page 8 04_17_11

NormM

NormM

I cooked the Cornish Hens for dinner tonight.April 2020 Is the world playing an April Fools' Joke on us all? - Page 8 20200416

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

bethk

bethk
Admin

Ohhh, Norm ~ that dinner looks amazing!

I went to get Chinese carry-out from a place near us that had good reviews. My favorite place is closed for now. I found the on-line ordering easy and my order was ready just a few minutes after I got there. I was able to pay for it with my credit card on line so I gave a (substantial) tip in cash when I picked up. Normally I don't tip on carry-out but the places that are working and feeding the masses deserve some consideration at times like this.

When I got home we both found the food to be just 'OK' ~ nothing I would order again. So, live and learn. I will say, the servings were very generous ~ just didn't taste good. LOL

So, I guess it's back to cooking for me. I think that's the problem with those of us who cook.....we know we could do a better job to make tasty meals.

I just wanted a break tonight.

NormM

NormM

Thanks Beth. When Charlie ordered from a Mexican restaurant yesterday, it was supposed to be delivered but somehow it got missed and they called for us to pick it up. To call from the parking lot and they'd bring it out. They said don't get in line, just park and call. Good thing because when we got there the line of cars was quite long. I'd guess there were at least 30 + cars waiting to pick up their food.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

Cookin Lore

I made the cheesecake, and also some potato salad. Took some of the potato salad to my 87 year old Uncle Ernie, just dropped it off. He is in a seniors' residence, and they don't want visitors. Took the cheesecake to my sister. I wore a mask, stayed at the other end of the room from her. She said the cake is the best cheesecake she's ever had. She had made some chicken , so I got to take a piece of chicken home to eat with my potato salad. This distancing sucks.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Supper was hot dogs for me. 2 skinny hebrew national on one bun, and one with no bun.
Yellow mustard and onions on it.
Butter pecan ice cream for dessert. T made a banana cake too. I'll have that later as a bed time snack. She used my bananas that I get my potassium from. hahahahahaaa

Bugster2

Bugster2

I tried to make a sordough starter but it failed so I dumped it.

We had burgers for dinner. Joe made a couple of meat patties with cheese for the dogs. Everytime we eat, or I am cooking they are in my face. I hate that. I have asked Katie not to let them loose but they whine and complain if they are locked up. I am not much of a dog person, I guess.

I just watched a 5 hour documentary called Wild Country. It was about that commune that was in Oregon in the 80's. They poisoned over 700 people with salmonella. Very interesting.

Cookin Lore

Bugster2 wrote:I tried to make a sordough starter but it failed so I dumped it.

We had burgers for dinner. Joe made a couple of meat patties with cheese for the dogs. Everytime we eat, or I am cooking they are in my face. I hate that. I have asked Katie not to let them loose but they whine and complain if they are locked up. I am not much of a dog person, I guess.

I just watched a 5 hour documentary called Wild Country. It was about that commune that was in Oregon in the 80's. They poisoned over 700 people with salmonella. Very interesting.

My sister was director of care in a facility for handicapped children in Montreal about 40 years ago. They had an outbreak of salmonella (no one died) which was really really strange. The cause ended up being a can opener which was used repeatedly, I guess without being sterilized. I put my can opener in the dish washer after every use.

RE: dogs that whine. We always had big dogs. None ever whined when we ate. That's because they did not learn that people will give in and feed them. My hubby was tough about that. My mother was terrible, the dogs always went to visitors hoping for a treat, and my mom would say "They are hungry too", and she'd give them something. So, we had to teach her. We had a large enclosed area by the barn for the dogs when we were away, and we'd say to mom "You can come, but if you feed the dogs from the table, we'll have to either pen them up or you." LOL If we were grilling outside, the dogs got fed before we ate. I surely miss having a dog, but don't want to have to walk one at 6 in the morning in a snowstorm.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

We could not have a dog. Tina would over feed it and it would not survive.
She sneaks food to a dog if it whimpers or looks with sadness.

Just had pancakes for breakfast ( 2 ).
Lunch will be ? .... just a crackers with cheese.
Supper, will be leftover Pea Soup or Chicken soup.

Bugster2

Bugster2

Her dogs have no training at all.

Cookin Lore

Bugster2 wrote:Her dogs have no training at all.

Apparently before my son and DIL were married, Lisa said to Danny............."Your dad is really tough on his dogs. But, if we ever get a dog, can we have him train ours for us???" They eventually had two Dalmatians. And Danny knew that the breed has a problem with loss of hearing. So, from the day they got them, he trained them both with voice and hand signals.

The toughest to train was a Siberian Husky. We got him from friends when he was a little over a year old already, and had all the bad traits that he had to unlearn. Chimo, which apparently means "my good friend".

bethk

bethk
Admin

When our girls were babies we lived in an old farm house set far back from the road, surrounded by farm fields. Dane worked at a glass factory ~ swing shifts ~ so I wanted a dog as an alert animal in case anyone drove down the driveway and also one that would be good with small children. My brother gave me 'BC', a boxer/retriever mix. She was MY dog from day one. I trained her to stay out of the kitchen when I was cooking or we were eating. After meals, when everyone was done, she was allowed to come in and 'clean-up-the-floor' of all the bits the girls dropped.

Other than shedding year around, she was wonderful. It broke my heart when I had to make the decision to have her put down because of hip dysplasia (we couldn't afford, nor was surgery widely available way back then). I never wanted another dog because I didn't think I could handle having to make that horrible decision again for any reason.

Cookin Lore

I think a boxer/lab mix would be a great combo. Watchdog-boxer lapdog-Lab!

Back to cooking, or in my case, baking. The cheesecake I made yesterday, according to my sister was the best she's ever had. LOL It came out of a Good Housekeeping book. Next, I think I am going to make croissants. I watched Anna Olsen (a local from Niagara) on the net this morning making them, and they seemed to be quite easy, although taking a long time. But, I surely have time!

Supper tonight is going to be some large, seared scallops on a big salad.

bethk

bethk
Admin

I pulled a large pork shoulder steak out of the freezer this morning and had to design my menu around the pork, which we like to have braised so it's fork tender and flavorful. I had to wait for the rains to stop so I could cut some Swiss chard ~ bitter greens always goes good with pork IMO. And since I was going to braise the pork I decided to go with that theme and braise some potato & onion a'la Ms. Tina.

Turned out pretty tasty.

April 2020 Is the world playing an April Fools' Joke on us all? - Page 8 04_18_10

Bugster2

Bugster2

I had a nice surprise today. A month ago I bought some brioche hot dog buns from Wally's. I pulled them out tonight and found that they are similar to a New england style bun. They were sliced on top. You can't get those kinds of buns around here except when you order a loberster roll at a restaurant. Joe told me to only buy these from now on.

Speaking of dogs, I am pooped. Joe and I clipped Katie's dogs today. What a job. They had mats that needed to be carefully cut out. We also don't have the right kind of shaver for animal fur, so it was hard. Then we clipped their nails. It took 3 hours for both dogs. It has been worse though - 4 hours per dog.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:I pulled a large pork shoulder steak out of the freezer this morning and had to design my menu around the pork, which we like to have braised so it's fork tender and flavorful.  I had to wait for the rains to stop so I could cut some Swiss chard ~ bitter greens always goes good with pork IMO.  And since I was going to braise the pork I decided to go with that theme and braise some potato & onion a'la Ms. Tina.

Turned out pretty tasty.

April 2020 Is the world playing an April Fools' Joke on us all? - Page 8 04_18_10
Pork steaks look good Beth.
Tina sops up the onions with each forkful of meat. haaaa
She said she was not wasting an onion. For me ~ No thanks!

Tonight, it was boring chicken soup to finish. Had banana cake for dessert!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 8 of 14]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 14  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum