Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today?

+4
Bugster2
NormM
UNCLE JIMMY
bethk
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 8 ... 14  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 14]

51October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? - Page 3 Empty Re: October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:36 pm

NormM

NormM

There were several years when I didn't buy milk, so I kept evaporated milk for cooking. Then Charlie was born and started using milk a lot. Recently it has been hard to keep a quart of milk without it going bad and I have started to keep evaporated milk around again.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

52October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? - Page 3 Empty Re: October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:58 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

I like brussels sprouts except for the bitter after-taste. I have found that bacon and shallots hides the bitter. After reading your post, I am tempted to go buy some.

We went out to the local Mexican food place. I can't eat anything there but Katie and Joe had carne asada tacos, beans, rice, chips, guac, salsa, cheese quesadillas and a shrimp taco. I made the mistake of taking a little taste of some sauce that had heat. Pepto Bismol is in my future tonight.

53October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? - Page 3 Empty Re: October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:10 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Crybaby wrote:I saved my GOOD NEWS for last! cheers cheers cheers

Brian came home from the hospital today. The nurse told him they got all the paperwork done last night so it wouldn't take forever today to release him and they were true to her word. He got his knee drained again today, I called him from the designated floor in the hospital parking garage and 12 minutes later, the man pushing him in his wheelchair arrived. We were home and he was tucked into bed by 11 a.m., just in time for the LSU/Ohio State game he was interested in watching. He's so happy to be home, and I'm so happy to have him home!

He wanted to postpone his "homecoming dinner" until tomorrow when he can really enjoy it. And GUESS WHAT we're having?! The ribeye cap steaks from Costco!!!! My brother-in-law Ed picked up a package of 4 for me Thursday evening when he went to Costco (he said only two packages were in the case) and I picked them up from his secretary yesterday afternoon when I was heading home from the hospital. Like me until a while back, Ed had never heard of them but was intrigued, as I sent him a link about them when I asked him to pick some up for me on his next Costco trip. I warned him they would be around $20/lb. so told him to buy them at any cost. They were $20.99/lb. and are about 1.5 inches thick -- thicker than I thought they'd be so I was pleasantly surprised. Though they looked just like the pictures you guys posted, they looked even BETTER in person, and Ed couldn't believe how marbled they were. I'm pretty sure he'll be picking up some for himself really soon, as he showed up at his office while I was still there talking to Laura, his secretary. (His office is in a double he owns next to his home so since he was in criminal court when I called him, he had Laura run nextdoor and get them out the fridge).

Brian was tired today (so was I) so he decided he wanted me to make the steaks tomorrow, which is fine with me. We're having Brussels sprouts with bacon and shallots, sauteed Cremini mushrooms and stuffed tomatoes (or broiled tomatoes -- it's his choice). I have 4 gorgeous ripe beefsteak tomatoes on the island that I've got to use up. I know it's overkill but I still have some French bread on hand so I'll probably make some garlic bread for him 'cause the man loves his bread!

I'm going to try to remember to take a picture for you guys! cheers cheers

Oh we are so happy for Brian and you! We pray to keep you and Brian in the Lord's hands, and so he can heal and relieve you of your earthly pain..
Remember..... the Father / the Son, / and the holy spirit is always with you, if you can remember him in your thoughts. Even as a quick saying that you love Him.
Enjoy your meal tomorrow, and thank sweet loving Jesus for the bounty.

54October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? - Page 3 Empty Re: October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:19 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Somehow I missed reading about Brian. I hope he is doing better.

55October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? - Page 3 Empty Re: October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:58 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Crybaby wrote:I saved my GOOD NEWS for last! cheers cheers cheers

Brian came home from the hospital today. The nurse told him they got all the paperwork done last night so it wouldn't take forever today to release him and they were true to her word. He got his knee drained again today, I called him from the designated floor in the hospital parking garage and 12 minutes later, the man pushing him in his wheelchair arrived. We were home and he was tucked into bed by 11 a.m., just in time for the LSU/Ohio State game he was interested in watching. He's so happy to be home, and I'm so happy to have him home!

He wanted to postpone his "homecoming dinner" until tomorrow when he can really enjoy it. And GUESS WHAT we're having?! The ribeye cap steaks from Costco!!!! My brother-in-law Ed picked up a package of 4 for me Thursday evening when he went to Costco (he said only two packages were in the case) and I picked them up from his secretary yesterday afternoon when I was heading home from the hospital. Like me until a while back, Ed had never heard of them but was intrigued, as I sent him a link about them when I asked him to pick some up for me on his next Costco trip. I warned him they would be around $20/lb. so told him to buy them at any cost. They were $20.99/lb. and are about 1.5 inches thick -- thicker than I thought they'd be so I was pleasantly surprised. Though they looked just like the pictures you guys posted, they looked even BETTER in person, and Ed couldn't believe how marbled they were. I'm pretty sure he'll be picking up some for himself really soon, as he showed up at his office while I was still there talking to Laura, his secretary. (His office is in a double he owns next to his home so since he was in criminal court when I called him, he had Laura run nextdoor and get them out the fridge).

Brian was tired today (so was I) so he decided he wanted me to make the steaks tomorrow, which is fine with me. We're having Brussels sprouts with bacon and shallots, sauteed Cremini mushrooms and stuffed tomatoes (or broiled tomatoes -- it's his choice). I have 4 gorgeous ripe beefsteak tomatoes on the island that I've got to use up. I know it's overkill but I still have some French bread on hand so I'll probably make some garlic bread for him 'cause the man loves his bread!

I'm going to try to remember to take a picture for you guys! cheers cheers

Thank goodness all is well with Brian! When did he start having problems with his knee? It's a good thing you have such a fantastic meal planned to enjoy and celebrate with. Your menu sounds like a lot of work for you ~ don't over-do it, Ms. 'I-can-do-it-all' ~ but I hope you both enjoy the steaks.

56October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? - Page 3 Empty Re: October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:00 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Bugster2 wrote:I like brussels sprouts except for the bitter after-taste. I have found that bacon and shallots hides the bitter. After reading your post, I am tempted to go buy some.

If the bitter taste bothers you, try the trick Barb gave about adding halved grapes along with the bacon & shallots. They cook down to 'mush' and you don't really notice they're grapes, but the sweetness really goes nicely with all the flavors.

57October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? - Page 3 Empty Re: October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:42 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

I read somewhere that if you choose sprouts that are 1" in diameter or smaller that they won't be bitter. IDK. Most bs are larger.

58October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? - Page 3 Empty Re: October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:00 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

We get the frozen birds eye ones, and never bitter. If there is bitterness, add a pinch of baking soda to the cooking water; it also cuts down on the smell like from cabbage.

59October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? - Page 3 Empty Re: October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:05 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Nothing sounded good, except for a dish of basmati rice. So I did a beef & broccoli and ate mostly rice.

October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? - Page 3 10_06_11

60October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? - Page 3 Empty Re: October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:34 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

DD made baked shells with ricotta and mozzarella cheese..... RAGU jarred sauce ( old world style )

She also made apple crisp.... ( I call it apple betty ) I don't know where that originated??
I get rolled back eye balls when I say it though! ....

61October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? - Page 3 Empty Re: October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:36 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Apple Brown Betty is the one I remember.

62October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? - Page 3 Empty Re: October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:41 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:Apple Brown Betty is the one I remember.

Yep! I remember that too! What was the apple pie called with the slice of cheddar cheese on top the hot apple pie???? I had it once, and didn't like it.
Pie ala mode is the scoop of ice cream on top the pie slice....right?

63October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? - Page 3 Empty Re: October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:32 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Right!

64October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? - Page 3 Empty Re: October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:01 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

It is early AM and I am watching the news. I hear about Tesla's new sounds the car makes. What???? There is an emissions testing mode which you can have the sound come from different areas of the car. Flatulence! WTH??? Are you kidding me? Why?

65October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? - Page 3 Empty Re: October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:22 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

I am trying to figure out what appliances I can get rid of. I have too many. I have an old KA and Cuisinart mixer that can go and a Phillips pasta maker that can go but I don't know what else I can get rid of. I only use some of them once a year but I am glad I have the appliance when I need it. I have 2 bread machines, a Nesco instant pot, a 6qt slow cooker, a food processor, blender, 2 Aerogardens, 1 1/2qt crock pot, a Cuisinart ice cream machine with a built-in condenser, an induction burner, various KA attachments - meat grinder, slicer/shredder, juicer, spiralizer/peeler. 2 12qt stock pots. I am sure I have more but I can't think of them now. I can get rid of one of the Aerogardens and one of the stockpots. Maybe the 1 1/2qt crockpot.
The bread machines make different size loaves. One is a Panasonic and the other is a Zojirushi. I usually pull one or the other out once a year. Same with the ice cream machine. I use the processor a couple times a year, mainly for pie crusts and pesto. The blender I use for drinks once in a while. This is so hard. I don't want any regrets.

66October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? - Page 3 Empty Re: October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:28 pm

NormM

NormM

I don't have nearly all the appliances that you have. I don't even  know what an Aerogarden is but I have several appliances that I don't use very often and have moved them to a storage area in my house.  I suppose that if I find I have not used one or more of them for more than a couple of years, I'll put them in a yard sale.  Once when I moved, I kept all the kitchen stuff boxed in the garage and only brought in what was out there when I need it. I then kept it in the kitchen and got rid of what was still out there after a year.  I feel one year was not soon enough because some of the stuff I got rid of, I wish I had later on.

67October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? - Page 3 Empty Re: October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:01 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

We have so many machines too.
I never use them. To peel and mash and grate, or shred.....I do it the good old hand method. The only thing I use, is the Mixmaster. ( old generic name of a kitchen stand mixer.) Even though it is actually a Kitchenaid product.

The bread machine is new, and I used it maybe 4 times. The Japan one.....I can't think of the name....? it starts with a K. It doesn't bake the bread right. The bottom browns too much, and the top is not done ( browned ). The sorry part, is the New model, is been improved to bake properly. They actually admit, the previous model had issues. I wasn't the only one either. Reviews show a lot of owners had the same issues.

######################################

TONIGHT will be kielbasa, and pierogies. ( Mrs. "T"'s )

68October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? - Page 3 Empty Re: October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:31 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

I didn't even mention my folding bread proofer, a Breville air toaster oven that is less than a year old. A DASH potato masher, an immersion blender, a Cuisinart mini processor. I guess I will list a few things on Craigslist and see what happens, I know what I want to keep: hand mixer, stand mixer, 1 Aerogarden, DASH MASHA, bread proofer, instant pot, crock pot, electric knife, mini processor, 1 bread machine, immersion blender, blender, food processor, ice cream machine. I know if I get rid of any of these things I will regret it.

69October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? - Page 3 Empty Re: October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:38 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

What would be great is if I could afford a Thermomix. It does just about everything then I could get rid of everything else - almost. LOL. SAometimes I feel like a hoarder with a clean house. I did rearrange things this morning and put the stuff I rarely use in the pantry which is down the hall and moved my crockpot, instant pot, blenders, processors into this armoire piece of furniture in the den. Easier access. Some things are pretty heavy.

Norm, an Aerogarden is a hydroponic gardening system that I use to grow fresh herbs year round.

https://www.aerogarden.com/?cid=ppc_g&offban=google20&gclid=CjwKCAjwxOvsBRAjEiwAuY7L8nSVutZCTLUgbFlAz5JO3pXXpAupxqnVS9WInvgx-1XbPYouG9SY9RoCZXsQAvD_BwE

70October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? - Page 3 Empty Re: October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:44 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

I just saw where Le Creuset is making Star Wars themed cookware. Just what you have always wanted.

71October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? - Page 3 Empty Re: October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:42 pm

NormM

NormM

Charlie brought home a bread maker from a garage sale once. I used it once and it worked just fine but I prefer making it where I can watch how the dough acts when I add stuff and can tell when there is a good dough.  I hear that some people use a bread machine to mix the ingredients, then take it out and bake it in the oven but I never tried it for the same reasons I just mentioned.  It went back into another yard sale not much later.  I think we actually made a little profit on the re-resale.

72October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? - Page 3 Empty Re: October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:52 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Good for you Norm!

73October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? - Page 3 Empty Re: October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:41 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

I would think, if I bought a bread machine that I can set a timer to have fresh bread at a certain time; why pay all that $250.00,where I have to take out the dough, and bake it in my regular oven in my range. ????

74October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? - Page 3 Empty Re: October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:47 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Some people don't like the holes in the bottom from the paddles or sometimes they have a crappy machine that doesn't bake right and use the oven.

75October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? - Page 3 Empty Re: October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:16 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Tonight I made panko crusted chicken cutlets, braised bok choy & vegetable spaghetti.

October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? - Page 3 10_07_10

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 14]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 8 ... 14  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum