Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today?

+4
Bugster2
NormM
UNCLE JIMMY
bethk
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 14  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 14]

26October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? - Page 2 Empty Re: October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:37 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

I don't believe I have ever had German sausages. My husband, on the other hand, has eaten many of them. When he was touring the Porsche factory, that is all his group ate.

27October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? - Page 2 Empty Re: October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:45 pm

NormM

NormM

I ordered some Korean BBQ beef ribs from Heritage Foods and the arrived today. They were cooked a few hours later and were eaten with some spicy pork bulgogi left over from yesterday.October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? - Page 2 20191013
October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? - Page 2 20191014

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

28October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? - Page 2 Empty Re: October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:03 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:I ordered some Korean BBQ beef ribs from Heritage Foods and the arrived today. They were cooked a few hours later and were eaten with some spicy pork bulgogi left over from yesterday.October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? - Page 2 20191013
October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? - Page 2 20191014

Damn..... that looks so good Norm.

29October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? - Page 2 Empty Re: October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:19 pm

NormM

NormM

Thank you Jimmy

30October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? - Page 2 Empty Re: October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:56 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

NormM wrote:I ordered some Korean BBQ beef ribs from Heritage Foods and the arrived today. They were cooked a few hours later and were eaten with some spicy pork bulgogi left over from yesterday.

Those look 'Killer', Norm! It's been a while since I've made the ribs. Unfortunately, even at Sam's Club or Costco they're pricey most of the time. I usually end up buying an inexpensive 'choice' grade strip steak and slicing it thin and putting the marinate on that. But the bones really add so much flavor.

This morning I put the last of the pork shoulder in the crock pot. I seasoned it with s&p and browned it in a cast iron skillet before putting it into the Crock Pot with sauerkraut and a grated apple. Dane wasn't happy with me and asked why I hadn't plugged it in outside ~ the smell of the meal cooking made him hungry all day! Sorry!! LOL

But the meal was worth it, I think. Served the pork and sauerkraut over spaetzle noodles I made ~ just like his Grandma made and very similar to what MY Grandma made to use in chicken soup.

October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? - Page 2 10_02_13

31October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? - Page 2 Empty Re: October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:09 pm

NormM

NormM

Thank you Beth.  They were delicious.

32October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? - Page 2 Empty Re: October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:02 pm

NormM

NormM

when I was at the store a few days ago getting the pork shoulder for the bulgogi, I also picked up a couple of steaks.  A day or two later I got some okra at the farmers market and today when I decided to cook them I noticed a package of Velveeta alfredo cheese bowl in the cupboard that had been there a long long time . I thought I should either cook it or throw it away so I cooked it, we tasted it, and then I threw it away.

October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? - Page 2 20191015

33October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? - Page 2 Empty Re: October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:12 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

At least you didn't have to taste and throw away the steak. hahahaha

34October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? - Page 2 Empty Re: October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:34 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

The Chinese carry out was good.
I had two spring rolls by mistake. T ordered #9 but I like #8's which are the Shrimp egg rolls.
Then some PORK fried rice. It was very good.....

Guess what?..... I'm still hungry!

35October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? - Page 2 Empty Re: October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:05 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Leftovers tonight. Ugh! But it filled us up and now there's space on the shelves of the refrigerator.

Today we drove an hour to go to the cultured marble work room to pick what we want for the bathrooms. Strangely, again, we both picked the same sample......sometimes Dane scares me. Who IS he and what happened to my obstinate husband???

But, now all the pickin' is over. Just have to wait for our contractor to finish up some other jobs and then get started here. We have got to get going on packing up all the loose junk, empty the kitchen cabinets, take down all the pictures & wall stuff. I'm not looking forward to being torn up but I'll be happy by the end of the year when it's all done......well, my bank account won't be happy but at least I'll be done making decisions and all will be back in order. (and maybe a bunch of junk will get tossed out)

36October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? - Page 2 Empty Re: October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:30 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Lots of luck with the makeover.
Take pics before....in between, and after so that you and Dane could lay back whilst looking at the pics like flash cards.

37October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? - Page 2 Empty Re: October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:51 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Supper was delivery Pizza Hut. Different. So So!

38October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? - Page 2 Empty Re: October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:55 pm

NormM

NormM

Before I got married, I'd do a James Beard recipe quite a few times.  It 'fried' chicken in the oven by dipping it in evaporated milk and then rolling it in bread crumbs and baking it for an hour. I saw the corn flakes in the store and thought I'd try it again. There was a more updated recipe on the box and I tried it. About a year ago, Charlie bought a lot of boxes of mac and cheese at Costco and we are almost through with it. I cooked the green beans for about a minute in the Instant pot.  That is over cooking them by a lot of  peoples idea but we like them cooked like that. It's the way mom did them.October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? - Page 2 20191017
October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? - Page 2 20191016

39October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? - Page 2 Empty Re: October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:13 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:Before I got married, I'd do a James Beard recipe quite a few times.  It 'fried' chicken in the oven by dipping it in evaporated milk and then rolling it in bread crumbs and baking it for an hour. I saw the corn flakes in the store and thought I'd try it again. There was a more updated recipe on the box and I tried it. About a year ago, Charlie bought a lot of boxes of mac and cheese at Costco and we are almost through with it. I cooked the green beans for about a minute in the Instant pot.  That is over cooking them by a lot of  peoples idea but we like them cooked like that. It's the way mom did them.October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? - Page 2 20191017
October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? - Page 2 20191016

My moms sister ( Aunt Irene ) made breaded chicken in the oven that was super delicious and crispy.
She did on breast cutlets flour / egg wash / and Ritz cracker crumbs/ then on a tray with small dobs of butter on top of each piece of cutlet.
She baked them at 350 F till Golden crispy.

40October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? - Page 2 Empty Re: October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:27 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

NormM wrote:Before I got married, I'd do a James Beard recipe quite a few times.  It 'fried' chicken in the oven by dipping it in evaporated milk and then rolling it in bread crumbs and baking it for an hour. I saw the corn flakes in the store and thought I'd try it again. There was a more updated recipe on the box and I tried it. About a year ago, Charlie bought a lot of boxes of mac and cheese at Costco and we are almost through with it. I cooked the green beans for about a minute in the Instant pot.  That is over cooking them by a lot of  peoples idea but we like them cooked like that. It's the way mom did them.

So, was the chicken as you remembered? It looks quite tasty ~ and crispy! I remember Mom having evaporated milk in the pantry forever. If we didn't have sour cream the evaporated milk was used for the creamed cucumbers. She may have used it when making mac & cheese, although it was something I didn't eat. And it was a main ingredient in the Rhubarb Custard Pie ~ the first pie of Spring. It's the same recipe I use to this day, whenever I can find fresh rhubarb (and in Florida that's not very often!).

I was going to grill some chicken thighs tonight but after they thawed out I saw they had an awful lot of skin and excess fat. So, I deboned them and trimmed them up. I marinated the meat in the Korean BBQ Sauce (bottled) and then just seared them off in a bit of butter and added a lid so they braised just a bit. I blanched some sugar snap peas and then finished them in a skillet with a bit of butter & soy sauce ~ and reheated the rest of the butternut squash. And that was supper.

October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? - Page 2 10_04_11

41October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? - Page 2 Empty Re: October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:00 pm

NormM

NormM

It was good but not quite as flavorful as I remember but my taste buds are a lot older now. It is nice a crispy. Ritz cracker crumbs sound good.

42October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? - Page 2 Empty Re: October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? Sat Oct 05, 2019 5:34 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I was at a complete loss for an idea of what to fix for supper. Jeanie and I rode on the golf cart to pick up a few things at Aldi & Wal Mart (mostly we just wanted to kill some time.....) and as we were walking through the store a deli guy was stocking the rotisserie chicken display with freshly cooked chickens ~ ~ and the SMELL was SO ENTICING!!!!

So, tonight we're having Jeanie over for chicken and steamed cabbage. Not much for a 'company' dinner but she's thrilled as she won't have to eat alone and she likes both.

43October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? - Page 2 Empty Re: October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:54 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

bethk wrote:
Crybaby wrote:
The olive bread looks delicious. Did you make that, B?

October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? - Page 2 2876911673 October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? - Page 2 2876911673 October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? - Page 2 2876911673   Me make bread?  I've done it twice in my life ~ both times Jetfan's Braided Egg Bread  But thanks for the giggle!  October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? - Page 2 911454047

Hey, I just recently went back and looked at your photos you took while making Jetfan's Braided Egg Bread and it was absolutely beautiful -- I could almost smell it and taste it. That's how good it looked.

Honey, if you could do that, you ought to be baking some bread. Oh I know -- the thing about baking bread is not eating it. The smell alone will kill you. I'm still shaking my head as I had no clue you'd only baked bread twice!

44October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? - Page 2 Empty Re: October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:57 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Supper tonight will be bacon and eggs with tater tots potatoes...

I made crispy German Sausages for me instead of bacon.

I love breakfast for dinner -- sometimes it really just hits the spot. Mmm, I'd have bacon AND some sausages!!! pig

45October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? - Page 2 Empty Re: October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:08 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Norm wrote:... I noticed a package of Velveeta alfredo cheese bowl in the cupboard that had been there a long long time . I thought I should either cook it or throw it away so I cooked it, we tasted it, and then I threw it away.

I'm glad I wasn't drinking anything when I read this, Norm, as I literally laughed out loud!

BTW, your Korean BBQ beef ribs looked delicious.

46October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? - Page 2 Empty Re: October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:37 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

bethk wrote:Leftovers tonight.  Ugh!  But it filled us up and now there's space on the shelves of the refrigerator.

Today we drove an hour to go to the cultured marble work room to pick what we want for the bathrooms.  Strangely, again, we both picked the same sample......sometimes Dane scares me.  Who IS he and what happened to my obstinate husband???

But, now all the pickin' is over.  Just have to wait for our contractor to finish up some other jobs and then get started here.  We have got to get going on packing up all the loose junk, empty the kitchen cabinets, take down all the pictures & wall stuff.  I'm not looking forward to being torn up but I'll be happy by the end of the year when it's all done......well, my bank account won't be happy but at least I'll be done making decisions and all will be back in order. (and maybe a bunch of junk will get tossed out)

How exciting, Beth! I was surprised you selected everything so quickly. But then I'd thought about what I wanted for so long, it didn't take me long to make decisions that needed to be made re picking. Did you pretty much have the things in mind that you ended up picking out, or did you change your mind when you saw all the things now available?

It's funny as I got fabric samples for years for upholstered furniture and shades for my living room before I decided on what I wanted. Now that my living room has been re-furnished and all the upholstered furniture has been ordered, received and is now being enjoyed, I am left with TONS of fabric samples from a multitude of vendors, most of which are about 4 or 5-inch squares. I'm about to ask on Nextdoor if anyone has a use for them before I throw them away. Some crafty person might want them.

The only thing left that I have to do is order shades for the 4 living room windows and the window in my front door (top half is glass with three mullions). I already have a couple of prints in upholstery so I'm going to go with some type of textured white fabric for the shades. Our house is over 100 years old so even though the windows appear to be the same size, I'm sure they vary a bit. I'm getting one of those places to come out with fabric books, and they measure, make and install the shades. I'd planned on going with relaxed Roman shades (gently curved on the bottom) but recently realized since two of the windows face the street, the curved bottoms wouldn't give us privacy in the evening unless they would "pool" on the window sill inside -- not a good look. So I'm going with flat Roman -- we're getting the top down/bottom up type so we can still have light coming in during the day but the bottoms will give us privacy when people walk by. Remember, we're a stoop house without a porch. Our front steps go right down to the sidewalk. After 20 years, I'm giving in and getting shades -- I HATE window coverings of all types and love tons of light in my house. Since we have working shutters on the front windows, if we wanted privacy at night, I'd just close the shutters.

I had an appointment last Thursday with a woman coming to the house from a shades place but I canceled it while waiting for the ambulance Tuesday to take Brian to the hospital. I was afraid I'd forget about it and stand up the poor woman....

47October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? - Page 2 Empty Re: October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:40 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Lots of luck with the makeover.
Take pics before....in between, and after so that you and Dane could lay back whilst looking at the pics like flash cards.

That's the same thing I told her, Jimmy. I regret not taking photos first, especially of the half bath downstairs. It looked good 21 years ago when we bought the house and people would comment about it all the time but it got dated looking after a while like everything does.

The transformation was phenomenal! We don't have as many visitors coming through as we used to but it always get a comment about how pretty it is! It looks bigger now, too.

48October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? - Page 2 Empty Re: October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:48 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

bethk wrote:I was at a complete loss for an idea of what to fix for supper.  Jeanie and I rode on the golf cart to pick up a few things at Aldi & Wal Mart (mostly we just wanted to kill some time.....) and as we were walking through the store a deli guy was stocking the rotisserie chicken display with freshly cooked chickens ~ ~ and the SMELL was SO ENTICING!!!!

So, tonight we're having Jeanie over for chicken and steamed cabbage.  Not much for a 'company' dinner but she's thrilled as she won't have to eat alone and she likes both.

You're so sweet to have her over so often, Beth. I'd imagine dinner time is a time when she misses her husband a lot...

49October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? - Page 2 Empty Re: October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:05 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

NormM wrote:It was good but not quite as flavorful as I remember but my taste buds are a lot older now. It is nice a crispy. Ritz cracker crumbs sound good.

I'd never tried corn flakes as a crust on chicken but I remember when a lot of people were doing it. It sure LOOKED good, Norm.

Regarding that other "blast from the past" ingredient, evaporated milk, we use LOTS of it here, as we brew VERY strong coffee with chicory every morning and use evaporated milk in it. Since the coffee is so strong, we use a decent amount of it to get it right but that's the taste we're going for. It's very rich and tastes divine. It's not for everyone but is usually a hit with our friends and visitors, though we often encourage them not to drink our coffee black.

Also, I rarely buy milk because Brian's not a milk drinker so I always dilute the canned milk with water when milk is called for. Plus canned milk is really good in some sauces. Even though I make macaroni and cheese with Half and Half, I usually always add some evaporated milk as it seems to add something special to the texture.

I'm smiling as lately I've been buying a quart of milk occasionally as Brian loves instant pudding (chocolate or lemon), and often makes it. Though it comes out okay with half evaporated milk/half water used as a milk substitute, the pudding texture is much better with regular milk. I just hate to waste it if it doesn't get used...

50October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? - Page 2 Empty Re: October, 2019 ~ What's cooking today? Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:25 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

I saved my GOOD NEWS for last! cheers cheers cheers

Brian came home from the hospital today. The nurse told him they got all the paperwork done last night so it wouldn't take forever today to release him and they were true to her word. He got his knee drained again today, I called him from the designated floor in the hospital parking garage and 12 minutes later, the man pushing him in his wheelchair arrived. We were home and he was tucked into bed by 11 a.m., just in time for the LSU/Ohio State game he was interested in watching. He's so happy to be home, and I'm so happy to have him home!

He wanted to postpone his "homecoming dinner" until tomorrow when he can really enjoy it. And GUESS WHAT we're having?! The ribeye cap steaks from Costco!!!! My brother-in-law Ed picked up a package of 4 for me Thursday evening when he went to Costco (he said only two packages were in the case) and I picked them up from his secretary yesterday afternoon when I was heading home from the hospital. Like me until a while back, Ed had never heard of them but was intrigued, as I sent him a link about them when I asked him to pick some up for me on his next Costco trip. I warned him they would be around $20/lb. so told him to buy them at any cost. They were $20.99/lb. and are about 1.5 inches thick -- thicker than I thought they'd be so I was pleasantly surprised. Though they looked just like the pictures you guys posted, they looked even BETTER in person, and Ed couldn't believe how marbled they were. I'm pretty sure he'll be picking up some for himself really soon, as he showed up at his office while I was still there talking to Laura, his secretary. (His office is in a double he owns next to his home so since he was in criminal court when I called him, he had Laura run nextdoor and get them out the fridge).

Brian was tired today (so was I) so he decided he wanted me to make the steaks tomorrow, which is fine with me. We're having Brussels sprouts with bacon and shallots, sauteed Cremini mushrooms and stuffed tomatoes (or broiled tomatoes -- it's his choice). I have 4 gorgeous ripe beefsteak tomatoes on the island that I've got to use up. I know it's overkill but I still have some French bread on hand so I'll probably make some garlic bread for him 'cause the man loves his bread!

I'm going to try to remember to take a picture for you guys! cheers cheers

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 14]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 14  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum