Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

May, 2019 What's in the kitchen?

+4
UNCLE JIMMY
Niagara Visitor
Bugster2
bethk
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Go down  Message [Page 9 of 9]

201May, 2019 What's in the kitchen? - Page 9 Empty Re: May, 2019 What's in the kitchen? Fri May 31, 2019 8:09 am

NormM

NormM

Jimmy, I have seen several Japanese and Korean cooks measure water for rice that same way and I use that method too when I used to cook rice without a rice cooker but I mentioned the other method of measuring water because most people here rely on measuring and it comes out to the same amount or water to rice ratio

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

202May, 2019 What's in the kitchen? - Page 9 Empty Re: May, 2019 What's in the kitchen? Fri May 31, 2019 11:04 am

JanaAZ

Bugster2 wrote:I was wondering if I should buy one since my last two batches of rice were mush. The third time I rinsed the rice and it was better. I suddenly remembered that my old "instant pot" made by Nesco, has a rice mode. Gave it a try and the rice was very good. No need to buy one now. Do you rinse your rice first?
I used to use a rice cooker but when I got an instant pot, I gave away the rice cooker. I usually make brown rice and the rice cooker took forever to make it. It cooks in about 25 minutes in the IP

203May, 2019 What's in the kitchen? - Page 9 Empty Re: May, 2019 What's in the kitchen? Fri May 31, 2019 11:33 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

I am slowly starting to weed out my cookbooks and small appliances. I might do the same with my clothes but I have trouble in that area. I have things that should have been given away a long time ago but they are so comfortable that i don't want to. I still have a cashmere sweater that my father brought from England for me back in 1970. I don't wear it but i can't turn it loose either. I have a couple of tops from 1972 that i won't get rid of. If I thought I could get away with it I would live in my pajamas like Hugh Hefner.LOL

204May, 2019 What's in the kitchen? - Page 9 Empty Re: May, 2019 What's in the kitchen? Fri May 31, 2019 2:00 pm

NormM

NormM

My instant pot isn't any faster than my rice cooker.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

205May, 2019 What's in the kitchen? - Page 9 Empty Re: May, 2019 What's in the kitchen? Fri May 31, 2019 2:04 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

My pot has a pre-set time of 12 minutes. I used medium grain rice and it turned out fine. I don't know how any other kinds of rice will turn out. I have some short grain and jasmine in my cupboard that I will give a try.

206May, 2019 What's in the kitchen? - Page 9 Empty Re: May, 2019 What's in the kitchen? Fri May 31, 2019 2:11 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I've got a half head of red cabbage....gonna cook it until it's tender and have with some smoked beef brats....I couldn't get the thought of that meal out of my head and wanted to use up the cabbage. I know it'll take quite a while to get tender - so much longer than it takes to simmer green cabbage. I've got a few green beans in the refrigerator so I think I'll cook those with some potatoes.....maybe season with one of the smoked brats.

207May, 2019 What's in the kitchen? - Page 9 Empty Re: May, 2019 What's in the kitchen? Fri May 31, 2019 6:18 pm

Niagara Visitor

Bugster2 wrote:Sauerkraut gives me a stomach ache. I eat it anyway.

If you have a problem with sauerkraut, cook it with some caraway. That takes away the gasieness.

We're having a pig roast here in my building on Sunday. It was supposed to be an outside affair, but it looks like it will rain and be cold. So, we're going to "Plan B" which is the service will bring the pig already cooked and we'll eat in our party room. I am making potato salad for 56 people tomorrow, there will also be sauerkraut, applesauce, buns, cesar salad and dessert. Sauerkraut will have caraway in it!

208May, 2019 What's in the kitchen? - Page 9 Empty Re: May, 2019 What's in the kitchen? Fri May 31, 2019 7:11 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Sounds like a great time, Lore! Have fun!

Supper was really good. Surprisingly, the red (well, it's really purple) cabbage cooked in about the same amount of time as green cabbage does. Maybe when it has the vinegar and a bit of sugar for sweet & sour it toughens it so it takes so much longer to cook. Guess I gotta do some more research/experimenting on that.....

I cooked the potatoes & beans together in a little bit of chicken stock with a chopped onion. The beans weren't the best I've had, kind of tough for ordinary green beans. But we ate them anyway.

May, 2019 What's in the kitchen? - Page 9 05_31_10

209May, 2019 What's in the kitchen? - Page 9 Empty Re: May, 2019 What's in the kitchen? Fri May 31, 2019 7:12 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Sauerkraut doesn't give me gas, it is like eating something corrosive. It gives me a bad burning gut pain.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 9 of 9]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum