Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January?

+3
NormM
Bugster2
UNCLE JIMMY
7 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down  Message [Page 8 of 9]

176NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? - Page 8 Empty Re: NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:17 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:Dried onion soup mix. I think that stuff is vile.

I took a bite of meatloaf, and got a chunk of the powder that didn't get mixed in. Yuck!

177NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? - Page 8 Empty Re: NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:38 pm

Niagara Visitor

If I use onion soup mix, I always mix it up with an egg before putting it into the meat mix.  Gotta make sure it is all mixed/dissolved.

178NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? - Page 8 Empty Re: NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:04 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

One seasoning I do like, but not over seasoned, is that Montreal Steak Seasoning.
Once in a while, I will season a burger with it!
I used to add a handful of oatmeal, but not any more. I seems to harden the loaf.

179NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? - Page 8 Empty Re: NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:42 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I've been using the Tony Chaterie's Cajun Original seasoning....a nice blend. Actually, I used it on my chicken breast tonight, before a light dredge in flour to help 'seal' the chicken so it doesn't dry out. When I split a breast through it sometimes comes out pretty thin, so I like to just do a quick sear just to cook through. Made a baked sweet potato and creamed corn (we're getting some nice, fresh, sweet corn right now.....good stuff).

NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? - Page 8 01_26_10

180NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? - Page 8 Empty Re: NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:18 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

I like Montreal Steak seasoning.

181NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? - Page 8 Empty Re: NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:21 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Supper today, was cheese and crackers, then, an egg salad on rye.
Rice pudding for dessert. Was Good!
The bad so far, Is I am still wishing for something to eat.
I don't want sweets. Something to nibble on.

182NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? - Page 8 Empty Re: NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:22 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Sloppy Joe's simmering on the stove......don't need to wonder where THAT idea came from.

183NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? - Page 8 Empty Re: NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:27 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

It's been quite a while since I made sloppy joes.....and I think Dane was just as hungry for them as I was ~ of course, it could have been that I had them on a low simmer for most of the afternoon so the ground chuck would be super tender.

The tater tots have been in the bottom of the freezer since sometime last year (OK, so 'last year' was less than a month ago, but you know what I'm talkin' about) and they cooked up really crisp in the oven, used the convection setting with the 'super fan'. I've had convection fans before in ovens but this one really blows stronger than any other one I used.

Only down side was I didn't keep a good watch on the buns when I was toasting them and they got a bit darker than I would have liked. But they weren't burned, just really crispy on the inside.

NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? - Page 8 01_27_10

Oh, almost forgot ~ someone asked about the Crispy Crowns I made ~ took a pic of the bag today. When we were in Ohio I got the Kroger brand and they were just the same.

NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? - Page 8 01_27_11

184NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? - Page 8 Empty Re: NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:49 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:It's been quite a while since I made sloppy joes.....and I think Dane was just as hungry for them as I was ~ of course, it could have been that I had them on a low simmer for most of the afternoon so the ground chuck would be super tender.  

The tater tots have been in the bottom of the freezer since sometime last year (OK, so 'last year' was less than a month ago, but you know what I'm talkin' about) and they cooked up really crisp in the oven, used the convection setting with the 'super fan'.  I've had convection fans before in ovens but this one really blows stronger than any other one I used.

Only down side was I didn't keep a good watch on the buns when I was toasting them and they got a bit darker than I would have liked.  But they weren't burned, just really crispy on the inside.

NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? - Page 8 01_27_10

Oh, almost forgot ~ someone asked about the Crispy Crowns I made ~ took a pic of the bag today.  When we were in Ohio I got the Kroger brand and they were just the same.

NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? - Page 8 01_27_11

Sloppy Joes....it will be for me tonight. ( leftovers )
Tina wants Chef Boyardee ravioli. They brought back the old original recipe.

185NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? - Page 8 Empty Re: NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:57 pm

NormM

NormM

We had baked chicken for dinner tonight. Charlie said it was kinda bland.NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? - Page 8 20190122

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

186NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? - Page 8 Empty Re: NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:46 am

Niagara Visitor

Chicken looks like it needs a vacation in the sun, but I'm sure it was tasty anyway!  I need a vacation in the sun too! LOL

187NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? - Page 8 Empty Re: NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:43 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

188NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? - Page 8 Empty Re: NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:45 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

Recall alert: FDA recalls peaches, nectarines, plums sold at Walmart, Aldi, Costco

Listeria is the culprit.

189NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? - Page 8 Empty Re: NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:31 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

He smiled all through supper......one of his favorites: New England Boiled Dinner ~ modified.

I simmered the potatoes, onions & smoked beef brats for a few minutes before topping with the beans so the beans wouldn't turn to mush. The cabbage, a whole half head, got sliced and simmered in a separate skillet with butter and just a bit of water to get it steamed but then able to evaporate off so the cabbage was tender and soft. A really fresh head of cabbage makes a world of difference in the taste ~ and what he bought at the Farm Market had been cut the morning he brought it home.

NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? - Page 8 01_28_10

190NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? - Page 8 Empty Re: NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:31 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Leftovers for supper.....I heated everything up and it was like a smorgasborg. (anyone remember a restaurant that advertised as a 'Swedish Smorgasborg'? ~ other than the meatballs, I doubt anything was really Swedish.....)

Glad it's all cleared out of the refrigerator.

191NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? - Page 8 Empty Re: NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:22 pm

NormM

NormM

There is a town in Kansas called Lindsborg that was founded by Swedes and holds on to that heritage.  The King of Sweden visited there to hear Bethany College or maybe it was the church choir or both, perform Handel's Messiah at Christmastime.  It seems like it was about 40 years ago. One of my potters wheels was made by a machinist there about that same time.  He called himself a blacksmith.  The town had a Swedish restaurant with a Smorgasbord and I ate there a few times.  I think the building and restaurant is still there but about ten years ago when I ate there it wasn't as good as before.   It was under different ownership and i felt it wasn't as Swedish as it used to be.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

192NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? - Page 8 Empty Re: NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:37 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

There is a town out here, just northeast of Santa Barbara called Solvang. It is an entire Swedish themed town. They have some authentic smorgasbord restaurants there with all of these exotic foods. My mother's fave was pickled herring in sour cream. My husband once brought home an entire cherry strudel from one of the bakeries, put it on the kitchen table, came back and it was gone. The dog got it.

193NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? - Page 8 Empty Re: NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:16 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Let's see <O> <O>
Tina Mommy made meatballs and sausage in a great tomato sauce. Gnocchi.
Garlic knots (From frozen ) They were so so. They were just dusted with granulated garlic powder. Next time, we agreed ( wow !) to brush them with minced fine garlic in melted butter and olive oil. That would Dr. them up to perfection. LOL

194NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? - Page 8 Empty Re: NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:26 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:There is a town out here, just northeast of Santa Barbara called Solvang. It is an entire Swedish themed town. They have some authentic smorgasbord restaurants there with all of these exotic foods. My mother's fave was pickled herring in sour cream. My husband once brought home an entire cherry strudel from one of the bakeries, put it on the kitchen table, came back and it was gone. The dog got it.

Oh so funny..... hahahahahahaha
A friend got a cured in salt Smithfield smoked ham from a client of his.
It was in the refrigerator soaking in water. They went to visit friends in Fort Lee, NJ ; during the holidays. When they got home, they found the dog unresponsive on the floor. They took it to emergency vet, and had to have its stomach pumped.
It ate the ham after it squirmed into the refrigerator, and pulled the ham out of the pot. It was the pot that held the door adjar just enough for the dog, ( name "Cricket" ) to get at it. Oh Boy!
The dog was sick for three days after the fact!

195NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? - Page 8 Empty Re: NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:35 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Leftovers for supper.....I heated everything up and it was like a smorgasborg.  (anyone remember a restaurant that advertised as a 'Swedish Smorgasborg'? ~ other than the meatballs, I doubt anything was really Swedish.....)

Glad it's all cleared out of the refrigerator.

Speaking of meatballs, remember the bout on the old C.Com food forum; over the Swedish Meatballs recipe? ..... hahahahaha I remember Norm was involved in the discussion, and so was S O B ( user name ).
There was a lot of heat in the thread / post. From what I can remember.

196NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? - Page 8 Empty Re: NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:13 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

I think I made a mistake about the town. It might be Danish. I went there once and it looks like something from europe. I can't keep the Norwegian countries straight. I remember having some liverwurst at the restauarant. It was homemade or at least it looked homemade. It came in a crock instead of slabs or a chub.
We went there for Joe's work. He had to pick up some custom western saddles that had been made for his boss. It was amazing the beautiful tooling. It is hard to believe that someone can do that. I have zip, zero, zilch artistic or musical talent, so I am in awe when I see other people who can do such amazing things. I can't even draw a straight line and I still count on my fingers. Seriously lacking in the smarts department.

197NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? - Page 8 Empty Re: NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:24 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:I think I made a mistake about the town. It might be Danish. I went there once and it looks like something from europe. I can't keep the Norwegian countries straight. I remember having some liverwurst at the restauarant. It was homemade or at least it looked homemade. It came in a crock instead of slabs or a chub.
We went there for Joe's work. He had to pick up some custom western saddles that had been made for his boss. It was amazing the beautiful tooling. It is hard to believe that someone can do that. I have zip, zero, zilch artistic or musical talent, so I am in awe when I see other people who can do such amazing things. I can't even draw a straight line and I still count on my fingers. Seriously lacking in the smarts department.

No Don't feel bad Debbie......just remember, "You are One Hell of a Cook!" ...

198NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? - Page 8 Empty Re: NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:13 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Cool weather here ~ baked a spaghetti squash and had it with some marinara.

Same old, same old............

NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? - Page 8 01_07_11

199NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? - Page 8 Empty Re: NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:51 pm

Niagara Visitor

Bugster2 wrote:There is a town out here, just northeast of Santa Barbara called Solvang. It is an entire Swedish themed town. They have some authentic smorgasbord restaurants there with all of these exotic foods. My mother's fave was pickled herring in sour cream. My husband once brought home an entire cherry strudel from one of the bakeries, put it on the kitchen table, came back and it was gone. The dog got it.
 Is that the town that has the sanctuary for pet pigs?  My daughter did some photography there. (The pig sanctuary)

200NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? - Page 8 Empty Re: NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:17 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

It's called "Lil' Orphan Hammies". It is for pot bellied and miniature pigs.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 8 of 9]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum