Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January?

+3
NormM
Bugster2
UNCLE JIMMY
7 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down  Message [Page 7 of 9]

151NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? - Page 7 Empty Re: NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:01 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Love the spiraling of the squash! The taste changes with the way it's cut and how long it's cooked.

152NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? - Page 7 Empty Re: NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:33 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Had "Cooking Class 101" today. Two of my neighbors came over to learn how to make cabbage rolls. They had a good time and made enough for tonight and two other meals. The cabbage Dane picked up for me at the farm stand by his sister's were so huge.....and fresh! My recipe called for two large heads and since I was doubling figured I'd need four. Two was just right for the amount of filling so now I have two left....guess a boiled dinner and haluski will be in the menu rotation soon.

153NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? - Page 7 Empty Re: NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:40 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

I made a recipe called bagel bread from Cook's Country. It is not good. Very dense (as it should be), crust is chewy like a bagel but I found the crumb to be rubbery. I followed the directions exactly and cooked it to the right temperature but it is just not good. Joe liked it as toast but I will probably have to toss the loaves or use them as doorstops.

154NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? - Page 7 Empty Re: NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:44 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Galumpkis / Stuffed Cabbage Rolls, leftover mashed potatoes, peas & last of the corny cornbread pulled from the freezer to free up space.

Thankful I remembered to bake it on a foil lined, rimmed baking sheet ~ lots of juice from the fresh cabbage.

NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? - Page 7 01_22_10

155NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? - Page 7 Empty Re: NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:49 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Chicken thighs or drum sticks on sale for $0.79/lb. today.....got a package of thighs and came home to de-bone them. Dane likes to boil the 'parts' for his lunch with some onion & celery and just eats the broth with the soft veg. To each his own.....

I like to leave the skin on to cook. If it's not crispy and the fat hasn't rendered off I can always pull it before we eat. But tonight it was in the convection oven and got nice and crispy ~ all the fat stayed on the sheet pan. I marinated it in some lemon juice, evoo, Greek oregano and seasoned salt & pepper. The green beans & baby bella mushrooms got a drizzle of evoo and s&p ~ love those two roasted together on a sheet pan.

NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? - Page 7 01_23_10

The little acorn squash Dane picked up at the Farm Stand last week were really tasty - just cut in half and roasted on the same sheet pan as the beans & mushrooms (the squash went into the oven about 30 minutes before the vegetables were added to roast).

NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? - Page 7 01_23_11

156NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? - Page 7 Empty Re: NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:49 pm

NormM

NormM

Our dinner was spareribs with a tamarind glaze and basmati rice.NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? - Page 7 20190121
NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? - Page 7 20190120

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

157NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? - Page 7 Empty Re: NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:11 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

We had a rotisserie chicken from Costco. I made club sandwiches for Joe and used the dark meat to try out a new chicken salad recipe. It had minced green onions, bacon, grated cheddar, ranch dressing and mayo. It wasn't bad.

158NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? - Page 7 Empty Re: NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:54 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Today was a pissy mood day. Tina had two Dr. appointments .... One 1:00 pm and Another at 2:30.
In between, she bought this thing.

NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? - Page 7 Img_1327

We have 3 pressure cookers, two from Aunt Margie, one from aunt Helen, and one from aunt Anne. Plus one 10 quart from the farm stand down south Jersey that she sold the house and produce farm that her uncle owned.
Now we add this electric pot, to the collection of junk pots.

#########################################

I had breaded steak cold, to nibble on. A cinnamon bun with tea for dessert. I feel all blowed up like air in a balloon. Plus, it got hot outside. It's 41 degrees out now.

159NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? - Page 7 Empty Re: NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:33 am

Niagara Visitor

Insta pot?  Not for me, thanks.  I am retired, I have time on my hands to make stuff. LOL

My neighbour bought one for her three children when they first came out a few years ago.  They were all at university at the same time, living in one house, and she said that the kids used it all the time.  So, there must be a market for it. LOL

160NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? - Page 7 Empty Re: NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:53 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

I bought one years ago before they were the latest "thing" to have. I never use it. Maybe I should look into some recipes for it.

161NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? - Page 7 Empty Re: NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:59 pm

Niagara Visitor

I had chicken cacciatorre (spelling??) at a friend's house a couple of weeks ago.  She said it had to be in there "only" 35 minutes.  Isn't that just about how long it takes to cook in a regular pot also?  I understand that the timer can be set to start hours later, and that I surely would appreciate if I was working and could have stuff ready when I came home.  However, I had a timer on my oven 45 years ago that did the same thing for me.  Chicken was delish!

162NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? - Page 7 Empty Re: NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:32 pm

NormM

NormM

It's true that you can use other utensils to do what an Instant Pot can do but as a pressure cooker, it is extremely easy to use and it has several other functions as well.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

163NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? - Page 7 Empty Re: NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:41 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:It's true that you can use other utensils to do what an Instant Pot can do but as a pressure cooker, it is extremely easy to use and it has several other functions as well.

As Jackie Gleason asked,..... "Can it Core A Apple?"

As long as it works as a pressure cooker, that's good!

164NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? - Page 7 Empty Re: NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:56 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Gave one to DD#2 as a wedding present. She loves it. She's not very good at planning meals for the week so she can get home from work and still make a 'homemade' meal they enjoy.

It's not for me, I'm like Lore ~ got lots of time to stand and stir. Cooking relaxes me and entertains me.

To each their own.

165NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? - Page 7 Empty Re: NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:25 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Katie had a colonoscopy today and went back to bed. I don't know what she will want to eat. I am defrosting some cooked tri tip slices for a sandwich for Joe. I will probably nible on some of that. I am trying to eat down the freezer. I just hooked up the DVD recorder to the DVR and TV so I can get some of myshows I have on the DVR on to a disk. Last night we watched an odd movie from the 60's called Psych-Out. It had a long-haired Jack Nicholson, a long haired Bruce Dern. They were so young but actually looked too old to me to be playing hippies at Berkeley. !968 it was. What a time for flower children and LSD.
Joe has been working for months on his garage - building cabinets, installing lighting, painting. He is just about to the point where he will epoxy the floor. That stuff really stinks.
My sisters are up at the Sundance Festival mingling with the Hollywood elite. Wish I was there, but I never get invited. I would have liked to have seen a couple of documentaries: one about Harvey Weinstein and the other about David Crosby. Maybe they wil eventually be released on DVD and I can rent them.

166NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? - Page 7 Empty Re: NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:19 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Late lunch after golf scrambles - no cooking here tonight.

167NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? - Page 7 Empty Re: NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:02 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Gave one to DD#2 as a wedding present.  She loves it.  She's not very good at planning meals for the week so she can get home from work and still make a 'homemade' meal they enjoy.

It's not for me, I'm like Lore ~ got lots of time to stand and stir.  Cooking relaxes me and entertains me.

To each their own.

They ( Tina and Maria ) can have it. I will never use it.
I remember the 60's..... the period of tv dinners and pressure cookers?
Mom would come from work, and throw chicken in that cooker, and made a chicken stew. Now do you see why I refrain from eating chicken?
Fast cooking a Fad, to make Jimmy Gag! affraid

Last edited by UNCLE JIMMY on Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:09 pm; edited 1 time in total

168NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? - Page 7 Empty Re: NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:05 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Sloppy Joes for supper. Ore Ida frozen French fries...

169NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? - Page 7 Empty Re: NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:31 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I've been hungry for sloppy joes for a while now.....and now it won't get off my mind! Thanks a lot.

Tonight, however, I made a small casserole of pork and sauerkraut. Got a hunger for it last night and figured I might as well make it instead of thinking about it for a week. I had some pork sirloin so I just seasoned it and seared it, then layered it between some sauerkraut with half a grated apple, just to take the edge off the sauer of the kraut.

Didn't have any green veg so went with some more of the beet greens. Boiled potatoes on the side.

NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? - Page 7 01_25_10

170NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? - Page 7 Empty Re: NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:22 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Looks good Beth!..............

Tonight was beef soup that Tina made. Good!

171NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? - Page 7 Empty Re: NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:47 pm

Niagara Visitor

I solved my meatloaf problem!  Quite by accident. LOL 

I have never been happy with the texture of my loaf, everyone has told me that it tastes great, but I didn't like the fact that it generally fell apart, and couldn't be sliced nicely.  Well, yesterday I made a meatloaf and used a loaf pan that is a bit smaller than the other two I have, and I think the meat mixture was also a bit more than normally.  So, I was determined to get it all in there, and pressed the mix down really, really hard, and BINGO! I have a great loaf, very dense, and lovely to slice. Sometimes the solution comes when you least expect it!

172NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? - Page 7 Empty Re: NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:45 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Really mixing the meat with the other ingredients makes it denser too.

173NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? - Page 7 Empty Re: NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:29 pm

Niagara Visitor

I have tried many, many different recipes and methods.  This one worked!

174NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? - Page 7 Empty Re: NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:13 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

It's a fight here, when OTHERS.... use the basic 1960's meatloaf.
Ground beef, and a packet of dried onion soup mix. Mustard and ketchup for a glaze............. Horribly Brutal! Salty too!

Now Norm always made a great meatloaf. Lately, with the bacon weaved top! So good! ....

175NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? - Page 7 Empty Re: NEW YEAR 2019. Whats cooking January? Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:31 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

Dried onion soup mix. I think that stuff is vile.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 7 of 9]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum