Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

December 2018 ..... What's Cooking?

+4
bethk
NormM
Niagara Visitor
UNCLE JIMMY
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 9]

51December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? - Page 3 Empty Re: December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:15 am

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:[

I'm planning to cook for Christmas Eve dinner, I'm thinking to roast some beef, prime rib is way too expensive for my budget, I will need 8 to 10 lbs, I saw some recipe using beef rib roast, I'm wondering if it is the same as Rib-eye? I love rib-eye but is there other cut of beef beside prime and rib-eye that good for holiday roast?

Hi Imelda. It's Me! ... Jimmy.  bounce
Good to hear from you. You are so busy girl !
When Tina wakes up  Sleep , I will ask her about the meat choices for roasting. Something less costly ok? ....... She knows all the meat cuts from working in the supermarket meat rooms for years.

I am still up. I am cooking smashed home fries potatoes and onions for Tina in the morning. She is working at the church soup kitchen. I want her to have her favorite of fried potatoes before she goes.

[/quote]

How sweet of you Jimmy, preparing Tina's favorite breakfast, and bless Tina for always volunteering at the church.
Yes please, ask her about the good but less expensive meat cut for holiday roasting. Thank you. This time of year, so much expense, I need to slow down a bit

52December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? - Page 3 Empty Re: December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:49 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

I made pizza for dinner. I had just pressed the dough into the pan and turned my back to grate some cheese. When I turned around I found FURRENSICS!December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? - Page 3 Thumbnail

I made a batch of English butter fudge for the first time. I buttered the pan and poured in the fudge and let it cool. It is a sugary type fudge. When it was cool, I couldn't cut into it. I couldn't budge it out of the pan. I put the pan in a sink of hot water to see if it would soften a bit. Nope. I then microwaved it for 30 seconds and that did the trick. I was able to cut and lift out the fudge. It wasn't over-cooked, it just wouldn't come out of the pan. Next time I will line the pan with no-stick foil that has been buttered.

53December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? - Page 3 Empty Re: December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:34 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Bugster2 wrote:I made pizza for dinner. I had just pressed the dough into the pan and turned my back to grate some cheese. When I turned around I found FURRENSICS!December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? - Page 3 Thumbnail

I made a batch of English butter fudge for the first time. I buttered the pan and poured in the fudge and let it cool. It is a sugary type fudge. When it was cool, I couldn't cut into it. I couldn't budge it out of the pan. I put the pan in a sink of hot water to see if it would soften a bit. Nope. I then microwaved it for 30 seconds and that did the trick. I was able to cut and lift out the fudge. It wasn't over-cooked, it just wouldn't come out of the pan. Next time I will line the pan with no-stick foil that has been buttered.

OMG.....those look like COUGAR tracks !!! Run for your life!!!

LOL

ps: Duct tape will fix that......just stick it on one of their legs and they'll spend hours trying to shake it off.....or, WRAP 'em up in the stuff. (that's just a joke...)

54December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? - Page 3 Empty Re: December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:51 am

NormM

NormM

Imelda, Prime rib roast, rib roast are both cuts of meat from the same part of the cow that ribeye steaks are cut, it is just the roast includes more than one steak.  Sometimes a rib roast and a prime rib rib roast are different only because one might be boneless while the other still has the rib bones attached.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

55December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? - Page 3 Empty Re: December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:27 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Prime rib and rib roast are the same....only difference is the grade of beef. I've had lesser costly rib roasts for the holiday, a choice grade or even a select grade can be just as flavorful. I think the main thing is not over cooking the beef. I always pull mine out of the oven when the center gets to 125 degrees and then tent with foil and let it rest for 30 to 40 minutes sitting on the counter near the warm stove. We like our beef on the rare side of medium. Anyone who likes well done gets the end cuts, or the next cut put under the broiler for 2 minutes. The butcher will cut the meat off the bone and then re-tie the bones for roasting. It's called "easy carve" rib roast. That way, when you roast your meat it stays rarer on the inside and all you have to do is cut the strings and the "bare" roast lifts off the bones and is easy to slice to serve. The prime grade roast I bought was $15/pound regularly but with the 25% discount it brought the price down to 11.25/pound. I usually plan on 1 pound per person because, unlike most meals, I DO love leftover prime rib for the best hot roast beef sandwiches you've ever tasted!

56December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? - Page 3 Empty Re: December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:43 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I think I'm going to LOVE, LOVE, LOVE my new induction range. It's shocking how fast it heats up food. Last night I cooked fresh green beans in a large pot filled half way with cold water. I put a lid on and put it on high, as I've always done, to have it come to a full rolling boil fore reducing the heat to a simmer. It was boiling in 2 to 3 minutes! Shocking! And when I reduced the heat it instantly reduced to a simmer without any carry over wait when it would normally boil over. Too cool! I'm actually considering getting a cast iron grill pan that will let me sear steaks or chicken with the little ridges. Having such great control of the temperature is such a joy to experiment with.

57December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? - Page 3 Empty Re: December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:10 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Dane is at his sister's today. He'll take her out for supper. Me? I'm having leftovers ((UGH!)) and an apple for dessert.

58December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? - Page 3 Empty Re: December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:04 pm

Niagara Visitor

No cooking for me again today, but lots of snacking.  We are having a Christmas party for the building tomorrow, and I am basically in charge of the food. (Cocktails and snacks only)
We made up fruit trays, veggie trays, meat and cheese trays etc. .  
So, I went to costco, bought cheese, crackers roast beef, ham, mini quiches, pigs in the blanket, cheese puffs, spanakopita (to be baked tomorrow) 

We have sweets that we cut into bite sized pieces, figure that we have about 200 pieces, expect maybe 80 people

I hope they will be hungry, I don't want to have to deal with leftovers.  Of course, I, and my other two helpers had to test some of the things we were putting on the trays, just to make sure they are good enough for our neighbours in the building. LOL!  THat's why I don't want any dinner.

59December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? - Page 3 Empty Re: December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:39 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Lore, you are such a good neighbor! I'm sure everyone involved will be amazed at the array of foods you and the team put out to enjoy. I hope you have a day of rest planned for early in the week.

60December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? - Page 3 Empty Re: December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:48 pm

Niagara Visitor

When I was much younger, I used to imagine that I wanted to own a restaurant.  I got over the restaurant idea, but obviously love working with food.  I love seeing people enjoy what I've done (with help of course yesterday) 

I'd love to go for maybe a week or two to a cooking school, just for fun.

61December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? - Page 3 Empty Re: December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:48 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I looked in the refrigerator this morning as I was grabbing a couple eggs for my breakfast and saw the two halves of spaghetti squash I baked off the other day when I did the acorn squash for supper. I really need to get them used before they get too old to eat and I have to sneak them in the trash so the 'food-waste' policeman doesn't catch me.

So, tonight will be marinara on spaghetti squash.

Since it's such a 'light' meal I decided to make a cauliflower/pea salad to have with it. The two don't normally go together but it's what I had available and I know we'll both enjoy the hearty salad. It's a layered salad with ice burg lettuce, raw cauliflower cut into little bite size pieces, thawed and well drained frozen peas and BACON! The dressing is mayonnaise, shredded parmesan & sugar. Normally I sprinkle in some sliced green onions but don't have any so I just ran a sweet onion over the microplane to get a bit of onion-y flavor in the dressing before I microplaned the parmesan cheese.

When Grandma made the salad she did it layered and let it sit in the refrigerator overnight. I've learned over the years that you just have to let the mixed dressing sit long enough for the sugar to dissolve into the mayo and then dab it on the top of the salad in two layers. The crispy bacon is held until serving to sprinkle over just before it gets tossed together.

62December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? - Page 3 Empty Re: December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:33 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Imelda..... What beth and Norm said is correct.

You want to go for a Choice rib roast, and ask the butcher to cut and tie it.
When the roast is done, remove the string, and put the meat on a plate and then put the bones in the oven to get roasted; to munch and nibble on the bones. It's fun and delicious.

Select is a dryer cut, and be careful asking for prime. A lot of stores will push choice to the customer as prime. Tina said she witnessed that many times.

Eye round roast would be great, but never tied, because that is not a true eye round.
An true eye round roast should not me tied at all.
Then there are other cuts such as sirloin tip roast then top round roast.
That is on the East Coast. They should be the same.....

63December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? - Page 3 Empty Re: December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:15 pm

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

Thank you Norm, Beth and Jimmy ( + Tina), I know more now. My little town seldom sells prime cut, mostly choice cut, I might get choice ribeye ( bone-in or boneless) if they sell it under $10/lbs, wish me luck

64December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? - Page 3 Empty Re: December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:28 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

The stores usually have specials this time of the year. Check the store circulars on line.

65December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? - Page 3 Empty Re: December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:30 pm

NormM

NormM

Prime rib is often called prime even though the cut may not really be prime grade. It's kind of a misnomer. People often call it that even though it isn't always really prime.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

66December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? - Page 3 Empty Re: December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:34 pm

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

I cooked some beef shank, Osso Buco for Dirk to bring to his parents, he will drop me off at the mall and come to pick me at 6 PM, I'll have some ME time wandering around the mall.

I cooked this with my Instant Pot, it turned out perfect, the meat was tender, not fall of the bone yet, still a bit chewy which I like. I was going to add some wine, but could not get the cork off the bottle  Laughing , Dirk was not home, so I added tomato sauce instead, now he made sure we have an opened bottle of wine, I don't drink at all, so I'm not good in opening a wine bottle  Laughing    

December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? - Page 3 47682610
December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? - Page 3 48270610

67December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? - Page 3 Empty Re: December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:37 pm

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

NormM wrote:Prime rib is often called prime even though the cut may not really be prime grade. It's kind of a misnomer. People often call it that even though it isn't always really prime.

Usually they sell Prime cut at fine food stores, Costco has it too, but so expensive

68December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? - Page 3 Empty Re: December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:38 pm

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

bethk wrote:The stores usually have specials this time of the year. Check the store circulars on line.

I will, nothing on this week, maybe next week

69December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? - Page 3 Empty Re: December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:51 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Imelda HL wrote:Thank you Norm, Beth and Jimmy ( + Tina), I know more now. My little town seldom sells prime cut, mostly choice cut, I might get choice ribeye ( bone-in or boneless) if they sell it under $10/lbs, wish me luck  

You should pay $5.89 to $5.99 per lb. on sale.
Beth is right. Lots of sales soon.

70December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? - Page 3 Empty Re: December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:56 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Too funny about the wine bottle, Imelda, only because it's happened to me, too. Now I try to buy my wine with a screw top. So much easier to open! LOL

71December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? - Page 3 Empty Re: December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:00 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Found out that 'leftover' squash is the way to go with spaghetti squash. By reheating it in a low oven the moisture content was really reduced and it didn't thin out the marinara ~ learn something new every day!

December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? - Page 3 12_09_10

December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? - Page 3 12_09_11

72December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? - Page 3 Empty Re: December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:23 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

I threw a tri tip on the grill, made wedge salads with Bob's blue cheese dressing and made a batch of fettuccini Alfredo. My gut is protesting the assault.

73December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? - Page 3 Empty Re: December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:49 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

I rendered some fat from the tri tip. What can you do with rendered beef fat besides Yorkshire pudding?

74December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? - Page 3 Empty Re: December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:22 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Use rendered beef fat for the base for a good beef gravy......

Same-old, same-old............

Pan Roasted Chicken Breast with Baked Sweet Potato & Steamed Asparagus.....

December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? - Page 3 12_10_10

75December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? - Page 3 Empty Re: December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:43 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Beef gravy? Now why didn't I think of that. Good idea.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 9]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum