Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

December 2018 ..... What's Cooking?

+4
bethk
NormM
Niagara Visitor
UNCLE JIMMY
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down  Message [Page 5 of 9]

101December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? - Page 5 Empty Re: December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:03 pm

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

bethk wrote:Imelda, no matter which beef roast you make for your holiday dinner, I'm sure it will be delicious.  I know Dirk and his parents love having you cook for them.  

If you buy it today, I would put it into the freezer ~ but I'm always crazy around the holidays and feeding a bunch of people.  I don't want to take the chance that my expensive meat purchase might be 'old' tasting.  I'd rather have it in the freezer and let it thaw for 3 or 4 days in the refrigerator than take the chance it's old when I bought it and it gets bad before I cook it.  

But that's just my opinion ~ I'm sure others will disagree with me and that's OK.  Everyone is entitled to have their own opinion.

(even if it's the WRONG one ~~~  Hahahahaahahaaaaa! That was a joke!  Just a joke!!)

I just bought it, the butcher cut a 10 lbs large end rib eye bone in roast, it cost me $73 and some change, it's a bit higher than my budget, but oh well, it's a beautiful cut, let's hope I'd roast it perfectly. The butcher told me to put it in the freezer and thaw it couple days before cooking it, just like what you are doing

102December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? - Page 5 Empty Re: December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:07 pm

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

Bugster2 wrote:
Imelda HL wrote:
Bugster2 wrote:Imelda, do you have a Ralph's, Von's or Albertson's? Ralph's has choice rib roasts for $4.77/lb and if you sign up for Just For You on Von's or Albertson's web site, they are offering choice roasts for $4.47/lb. They also have whole boneless New York roasts for $4.69/lb.

We have Safeway's, it's the same company with Von's or Albertson's, it's $5.77 for Choice Ribeye roast and $4.77 for New York roast, I'm thinking to get it later today

Freeze it for a week or just wait until the latest you can before buying it. I bought one and threw it in the freezer for a future meal.

I bought it at Safeway's, it was $6.99/lbs, the $5.77/lbs coupon is for the whole bag, about 20 lbs a bag, we don't have room in our freezer, so we opted for the custom cut

103December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? - Page 5 Empty Re: December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:27 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

I made a favorite \of mine  as growing up and living with the No Meat Fridays.... faithfully.
Tuna with spaghetti. Bread crumbs toasted and then added olive oil and minced fresh garlic, then two cans of Genova yellowfin tuna in the can with olive oil.
Mixed it in the spaghetti, and ate it with sprinkles of lemon juice.

Tina is fighting a nasty a$$  cold and sore throat. I was at the cardiologist yesterday, and I asked him for a Z pack ( zithromax ) for her.

Today, She was 55 minutes from here at her uncle's shopping for him. She got home at 2:30, and went right to bed in the recliner.

104December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? - Page 5 Empty Re: December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:37 am

Niagara Visitor

Did the doctor give you the zithromax without seeing her?  Most colds/coughs are caused by viruses, and an antibiotic is ineffective.  My old wise Russian doctor used to say "A cold lasts a week if you treat it, and seven days if you don't." Get better fast, Tina!

105December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? - Page 5 Empty Re: December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:35 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Thanks Lore.
I was there for my appointment, and she was there with me. She felt she was bothering him to ask, but not me;............ I asked! All he did , was pull her name up on the computer, and with one click, the order was at the pharmacy...

Most Dr's need you set up to see them, so they can charge. ( $90.00 now a visit ).
Even though I pay zero ( 0 ) .

I remember years ago, the Dr would come to the house. $5.00 a visit, but $7.00 if he administered a shot of penicillin. And, he used the same needle. He would ask my mom to boil it for 5 minutes. He would say,"Oh, two minutes is enough!" .....
He gave the shot, and No Bandaid to cover the puncture! .... l o l

106December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? - Page 5 Empty Re: December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:36 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Yeah, the days of doctors making house calls is long gone. I can remember Dr. Miller coming to the house when my two brothers and I had Chicken Pox. He took one look at us and said, "Yup, Chicken Pox. Don't let 'em scratch. Mom put socks on our hands. But since she hung all the laundry on the clothes line to dry (there was no dryer in those days) those socks were rough and scratchy. Felt so good to get those pox sores.

107December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? - Page 5 Empty Re: December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:00 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

We used to have some of my father's friends come to the house when we were sick. A couple of times for me: once for a diagnosis of Mono and the second for a rash that covered my entire body, including my palms. A couple of Benadryl later it was gone. I never found out what it was that i was allergic to.

108December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? - Page 5 Empty Re: December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:08 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Supper tonight was fried pork chops, well, braised, actually, after they were seasoned, lightly floured and browned. Baked sweet potatoes, lima beans and the sweet kale salad from Wal Mart / Sam's Club.

December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? - Page 5 12_15_10

109December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? - Page 5 Empty Re: December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:03 pm

Niagara Visitor

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:  Thanks Lore.
I was there for my appointment, and she was there with me. She felt she was bothering him to ask, but not me;............ I asked! All he did , was pull her name up on the computer, and with one click, the order was at the pharmacy...

Most Dr's need you set up to see them, so they can charge.   ( $90.00 now a visit ).

I remember years ago, the Dr would come to the house. $5.00 a visit, but $7.00 if he administered a shot of penicillin. And, he used the same needle. He would ask my mom to boil it for 5 minutes. He would say,"Oh, two minutes is enough!" .....
I understand, but the point is, if it is a cold, chances are the antibiotic is ineffective, so why give it to her?  All it does is get her body used to having it, and when she has a real bacterial infection, the Z pack may not help any more.

110December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? - Page 5 Empty Re: December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:19 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Niagara Visitor wrote:
UNCLE JIMMY wrote:  Thanks Lore.

Most Dr's need you set up to see them, so they can charge.   ( $90.00 now a visit ).

I understand, but the point is, if it is a cold, chances are the antibiotic is ineffective, so why give it to her?  All it does is get her body used to having it, and when she has a real bacterial infection, the Z pack may not help any more.

That is so true, but it seems like Z packs, are the easy thing for a doctor to give people. They know it is less effective the more it is given, but the patient feels better, just knowing it is that miracle Z Pack. LOL
It's mind over matter. They could have been sugar pills.

My grandma had a brain tumor the size of an orange, removed in 1955 in Philadelphia PA. After the fact, she experienced dizziness once in a while, so this DR ( practice from his home ) sold her every two weeks, a red syrup he called "Nervine", and actually filled the drug at his office. He sold it for $5.00 an 8 ounce bottle.

Grandma had to have that medicine or she would feel sick and develope a headache without it.
When she went to the nursing home for care at 90 y/o ...they called the Dr that sold the drug, and the nurse said there was no prescription, because all it was, was a cherry flavored syrup with added liquid Aspirin mixed in.
That doctor, whom was dead at that time, was making a fortune off of the people.

111December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? - Page 5 Empty Re: December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:15 am

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

Today I made some Italian meatballs for my father in-law birthday tomorrow, we had some for our early dinner today with mashed potato and boiled broccoli, tonight after mass D had meatball sandwich for his supper, I had my dumplings/potstickers for supper

December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? - Page 5 Dscn3210

my supper

December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? - Page 5 Dscn3211

I baked some my pineapple cookies yesterday

December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? - Page 5 Dscn3110

112December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? - Page 5 Empty Re: December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:07 am

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

I'm thinking to cook my ribs like this video, it's perfect, because I have to bring my ribs to my in-law's place, it takes 1 hour drive, I can wrap it and then sear it on high temperature before serving it

https://www.seriouseats.com/2014/12/food-lab-guide-to-prime-rib.html?utm_campaign=dec16&utm_source=fb&utm_medium=holiday

113December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? - Page 5 Empty Re: December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:18 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Imelda..... a great looking meatballs and dumplings. The cookies look awesome too!

Today was eat what you find day. DD was here, and made a pizza. I had a slice, and then, I grabbed a can of cream of celery, and ate that with crackers.

I made toast for Tina. She felt ( and looks ) like a truck hit her! ....Poor thing!
One good thing....is she is not dizzy anymore.
She was discharged from Vestibular ( vertigo ) therapy at the hospital.
They got the crystals in her ear all put back in line. etc. She can bend to pick up something, and not get dizzy. She is so happy! ( Me Too!)

114December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? - Page 5 Empty Re: December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:41 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Imelda HL wrote:I'm thinking to cook my ribs like this video, it's perfect, because I have to bring my ribs to my in-law's place, it takes 1 hour drive,  I can wrap it and then sear it on high temperature before serving it

https://www.seriouseats.com/2014/12/food-lab-guide-to-prime-rib.html?utm_campaign=dec16&utm_source=fb&utm_medium=holiday

Sounds good to do it like that, but, I would be careful that the meat will cool too much on that long of a ride, and when you sear it at 500 degree oven , It will cook the center which may overcook the roast?? I don't know! I would think about that. Maybe wrap a couple bricks in foil, and heat in the oven to 200 degrees, and put them in a box with the meat to
keep the meat internal temperature warm, but not cool too much when ready to blast sear it!

115December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? - Page 5 Empty Re: December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:43 am

Niagara Visitor

I, who is not into sweets, am going to make pizzelle cookies today.  I discovered them at a bake sale at the hospital where I volunteer.  So, I've been able to borrow a press from a neighbour here in my building, just to figure out if it's worth buying a press for myself.

116December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? - Page 5 Empty Re: December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:04 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Imelda, what are those cookies and how did you get the design in them?

117December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? - Page 5 Empty Re: December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:13 pm

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:
Imelda HL wrote:I'm thinking to cook my ribs like this video, it's perfect, because I have to bring my ribs to my in-law's place, it takes 1 hour drive,  I can wrap it and then sear it on high temperature before serving it

Sounds good to do it like that, but, I would be careful that the meat will cool too much on that long of a ride, and when you sear it at 500 degree oven , It will cook the center which may overcook the roast?? I don't know! I would think about that. Maybe wrap a couple bricks in foil, and heat in the oven to 200 degrees, and put them in a box with the meat to
keep the meat internal temperature warm, but not cool too much when ready to blast sear it!

Thank you Jimmy, I'll make sure to heat some bricks to warm it, that was a good input

118December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? - Page 5 Empty Re: December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:14 pm

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

Bugster2 wrote:Imelda, what are those cookies and how did you get the design in them?

I'll get back to you later, we are heading out soon

119December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? - Page 5 Empty Re: December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:03 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

After a rainy 48 hours, today turned out absolutely beautiful. Temps were in the high 60's with beautiful blue skies.....makes me extra happy I don't have to endure gray skies and snow!

Since it was so nice I decided it was a great night to have burgers on the grill. Ended up making some sauteed onions to smother my burger with, sauteed up some zucchini w/onion and boiled some green beans.

December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? - Page 5 12_16_10

Dane & I both noticed as soon as the sun went down the temperatures dropped just as quickly. Brrrr! Must be in the mid 50's! (that's COLD for us!)

120December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? - Page 5 Empty Re: December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:30 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:After a rainy 48 hours, today turned out absolutely beautiful.  Temps were in the high 60's with beautiful blue skies.....makes me extra happy I don't have to endure gray skies and snow!

Since it was so nice I decided it was a great night to have burgers on the grill.  Ended up making some sauteed onions to smother my burger with, sauteed up some zucchini w/onion and boiled some green beans.

December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? - Page 5 12_16_10

Dane & I both noticed as soon as the sun went down the temperatures dropped just as quickly.  Brrrr! Must be in the mid 50's!  (that's COLD for us!)

I don't know Beth, but it sure does look like we use and like onions just as much as you do! hahahahahahaa

The plate of food looks great!

121December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? - Page 5 Empty Re: December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:24 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Today, was a cook and look, and put it away.
Tina made a pot of split pea soup with ham and a Smoked ham hock for flavor.
I ate some fried ham with tons of black pepper, and got sick.
DD made a big pot of chilli in the slow cooker, and I passed that up!
I just had an Ice Cream Bar, and Tina had popcorn. She feels a little better, but still has that tickle in her throat. She said she can finally smell food, so that's a good thing.

122December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? - Page 5 Empty Re: December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:22 pm

Niagara Visitor

Gotta get going on my menu plan for Christmas Eve.  Definitely no turkey.  I know there will be chicken wings and shrimp.  Don't know how the shrimp will be done yet.  Sometimes just plain cooked, cold with seafood sauce, sometimes in a cream sauce in a pasta.  I'm sitting on the fence between making German beef rouladen (stuffed round steak) and a lasagna;  large cheese tray for appies.  

THere will be oven roasted potatoes, veggies and dip, haven't decided on desserts.

123December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? - Page 5 Empty Re: December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:33 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I'm thinking of having a shrimp cocktail appetizer for my Christmas dinner, too. I'm leaning to Ina's roasted shrimp with olive oil, s&p ~ served at room temperature with a homemade cocktail sauce (red). I'm thinking, now, (after reading your plans) to include some cheese & crackers as well. I do have some pickled beets I made in October in the refrigerator to put on the relish tray at the table.

For some reason, today I had no problem deciding on a meal for our supper. I got up thinking of scalloped potatoes. When that happens to me I know I might as well make it because I won't be satisfied until I have the dish! So, I'll make a casserole dish of scalloped potatoes to bake away until nice and tender and the last 30 minutes or so I'll drop some cut up ham steak on top. I've got leftover vegetables to reheat to finish off my meal.

124December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? - Page 5 Empty Re: December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:29 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Supper......I even made some cabbage/carrot/pineapple jello salad last night to have today. I've decided not to save the 'Holiday Salads' just for the holidays anymore. Don't know why we only made/served them at a holiday. Maybe it was so they would always be considered 'special'.....

December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? - Page 5 12_17_10

125December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? - Page 5 Empty Re: December 2018 ..... What's Cooking? Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:45 pm

Niagara Visitor

There will be 14 of us, and the chicken wings and oven roasted potatoes are the absolute MUSTS so that takes care of my oven for about 90 minutes.  Now, if I make the rouladen, I can do them ahead and they just need to be warmed up.  That can be done on top of the stove or in my crock pot.  And if I make a cooked seafood dish, same thing,  Make ahead and re-heat.  I do have my neighbour's oven available.  She's in Portugal and I have her key.  Our other neighbour is having her family Christmas day, and she'll also be using Lisa's oven that day.  We're both using the fridge, so it's a good thing she's away.  I love this condo neighbourhood!  

Both of those neighbours were here at my place for Thanksgiving.  We share!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 5 of 9]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum