Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

July, 2018 ~ Dinnertime in the heat.....

+3
Niagara Visitor
UNCLE JIMMY
bethk
7 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 11]

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Beth....everything l00Ks so good.  Gravy.....Ummmmm!!!

We had the kids stop to pick up the baby we watched today.
We had hot dogs grilled on the copper mat. Perfect.
Tina made stuffed peppers. Macaroni and cheese. Corn, and chocolate cake; with white buttercream icing.

Now watching Gene Kelly and Judy Garland Movie on the TCM.

Crybaby

Crybaby

Imelda HL wrote:
Crybaby wrote:
Imelda, your chicken looked really good too. How far do you have to drive to see your in-laws. How nice you go once a week to see them.

Thank you Michelle, it's 130 miles round trip, an hour for one way trip, and it's a good drive on smooth and 3 lanes highway..  last night was a bit scary, it was down pouring for a few minutes but by the time we drove home, water was everywhere, some roads closed due to the flood, puddles here and there, we had to turn back several times on our drive to the highway because of accidents and road closure, usually it took only 10 minutes drive, last night we had to spent more than 20 minutes to get to the highway. It's monsoon season, we'll see a lot of dust storm, rain, gusty wind, thunder and lighting

D's parents are in their 90, his mom dos not drive anymore, she gets confused sometimes, his dad just had his driving test last week, he failed the first time, but passed the 2nd time, it was a relief to all of us, I can't imagine how hard is for him if they took away his driving license

It's funny you mention that as Brian and I were just talking about monsoons and I mentioned those in AZ -- I had a friend who moved out there around 2003 but moved back to N.O. a couple years after her husband passed away and his daughter went off to college. She used to tell me about some scary rides home from work -- I'll bet you were glad you and Dirk were together! I love driving and I don't even mind driving in adverse conditions but when the weather is scary, I always like it when someone is in the car with me. Glad it's usually not a bad drive to see his parents, as I know they must appreciate your weekly visits.

Yes, I think it's probably the most difficult decision people have to make when they get older -- to decide they should no longer drive. It's really giving up your independence plus it's got to be unnerving to realize you have to rely on others to take you places. I laughed though, as lots of times older people's kids are really hoping their parents won't get their driver's licenses renewed, as they see that their parents are not so good behind the wheel anymore. Glad you and Dirk were okay with him still driving. Cool

Crybaby

Crybaby

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:OH .... BTW, Here I am enjoying my iced tea, and the iced tea spoon still in the tumbler as I sip sip sip!
There is Tina yelling... "You'll Poke yer eye out!" "Take out that spoon, PLEASE!!!"..... "Jeepers I said", "I have to leave the spoon in there!" I'm one of those ( stir and sip & stir and sip iced tea drinkers ) :twak:

She hates when I do that......So I do it More! hahahahaha😋

July, 2018 ~ Dinnertime in the heat..... - Page 4 Img_1023

Little does she knows you're using that spoon to stir up all that sugar you have in the bottom of the cup. Made me laugh as I could just HEAR my mom telling my brother to take the spoon out of his glass when we were young. Yep -- "You're going to poke your eye out!." Must be as universal as, "Don't make me stop this car!" jocolor

Bugster2

Bugster2

Baloney again. I wish I had some of that meatloaf. Is there a frozen dinner meatloaf that is good?
Did a "free" Craigslist for the moving boxes and got rid of them. Still have a lot I need to get rid of.
Got rid of two couches and a coffee table and end table. I don't think a tornado could have made a bigger mess of this place. I have to get rid of a lot of kitchen tools because I don't have the space for them.It pains me giving away Microplanes and such. Joe is still puny but he made himself a couple of gin & tonics and sat in the pool for two hours. He was slurring his words. Feeling no pain.
Katie was moving some stuff, came into the kitchen with all these things and they just started falling to the floor along with herself. Narcolepsy episode. I didn't see it happen so I asked Joe if she hit her head. He said no. When she came to in about 10 minutes I made sure she hadn't hit her head. If she had I would have rushed her to the hospital. Weird thing, narcolepsy.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Chicken wings on the grill, sweet corn cut off the cob and lima beans.

I should have made sure the corn and beans were ready before I put the chicken on the grill ~ it sure can go from 'done' to 'REALLY well done' in a matter of minutes when you have to walk away. But, hey, I happen to like REALLY done chicken.....that's my story and I'm stickin' to it! LOL

July, 2018 ~ Dinnertime in the heat..... - Page 4 07_10_10

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Chicken wings on the grill, sweet corn cut off the cob and lima beans.

I should have made sure the corn and beans were ready before I put the chicken on the grill ~ it sure can go from 'done' to 'REALLY well done' in a matter of minutes when you have to walk away.  But, hey, I happen to like REALLY done chicken.....that's my story and I'm stickin' to it!  LOL

July, 2018 ~ Dinnertime in the heat..... - Page 4 07_10_10

That's Jimmy Chicken.... Wellllllll done! Looks good Beth!

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:Baloney again. I wish I had some of that meatloaf. Is there a frozen dinner meatloaf that is good?
Did a "free" Craigslist for the moving boxes and got rid of them. Still have a lot I need to get rid of.
Got rid of two couches and a coffee table and end table. I don't think a tornado could have made a bigger mess of this place. I have to get rid of a lot of kitchen tools because I don't have the space for them.It pains me giving away Microplanes and such. Joe is still puny but he made himself a couple of gin & tonics and sat in the pool for two hours. He was slurring his words. Feeling no pain.
Katie was moving some stuff, came into the kitchen with all these things and they just started falling to the floor along with herself. Narcolepsy episode. I didn't see it happen so I asked Joe if she hit her head. He said no. When she came to in about 10 minutes I made sure she hadn't hit her head. If she had I would have rushed her to the hospital. Weird thing, narcolepsy.

Poor Katie.... Hope she is feeling better Deb.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Finished the chicken soup. What was left took a dump into the back yard.
I had a NY Strip steak. Done medium, and tough tough tough! Tina opted out.
No desert yet. DD made pumpkin bread. Hmmmm!

NormM

NormM

We had pork chops with a salad and rice.July, 2018 ~ Dinnertime in the heat..... - Page 4 20180717

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Today was BLT w cheese.
Corn on the cob.
Dessert was a cherrie pie. One of those little 4 inch ones in the brown box at WalMart.

bethk

bethk
Admin

No cooking here. Lyn & I went to Orlando for a 'Girls Day'.

We had salad lunches at the restaurant pavalion in the mall and then had a light dinner at our favorite little gastro pub by Trader Joe's ~ Slate.

We shared some fried green tomatoes and a wood fire pizza and I had their appetizer Bao Bun w/pork belly and house made pickles. It was all stuff we can't get locally so it's always a treat to sit and pick and choose from the many different items they offer.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Dane's pick of supper.....Grilled strip steak, baked sweet potato, steamed broccoli & wilted lettuce salad:

July, 2018 ~ Dinnertime in the heat..... - Page 4 07_12_10

Crybaby

Crybaby

Bugster2 wrote:I have to get rid of a lot of kitchen tools because I don't have the space for them.It pains me giving away Microplanes and such.

Don't you have a pantry in that big kitchen, Debbie? Man, I would've thought with that big house that you would have MORE space in your kitchen than in your prior house.

But then I'm the one who moved from an apartment kitchen which didn't allow for two people IN IT at the same time, yet I had tons of kitchen storage!  Go figure!

I hate getting rid of kitchen stuff. I can cut ties with stuff all over the house pretty easily now but I hate getting rid of kitchen things, even if I haven't used something in years. It's amazing, though, how much easier it gets as one gets older to get rid of just about anything...

Crybaby

Crybaby

We're not using the grill as much as we used to for more reasons than just it's unbelievably hot out there, so I was intrigued today when I read about using a cast iron pan to make homemade pizza on top of the stove. Though a couple of 10-inch pizzas would be plenty for the two of us with leftovers, a large cast iron grill like the one I have would make a bigger pizza if you wanted one, as long as you don't mind an oblong pizza instead of a round one.  You could use either the flat side or the griddle side, too.

I didn't need a recipe for making pizza dough or pizza sauce, so I just slimmed everything down into a list of what they suggested doing to make it on top of the stove. It took me a while to put it in an organized fashion, moving around some of the article's text and rewording some of it, so I decided to post it here.

Stovetop Pizza in a Cast Iron Pan
Making a 10-in. pizza in 12-in. pan.

Make-Ahead Pizza Dinner for One or Two
You can prep everything, including the dough and toppings, and keep it all refrigerated until you're ready to cook. With everything ready to go, actually cooking these stovetop pizzas takes 10 minutes, tops. It's okay if the dough is still a little chilly from the fridge; it will still cook just fine! Adding some mozzarella and fresh basil leaves, the classic margherita pizza, would be good enough for us.
One Pound of Dough makes Two 10-inch Pizzas
Stretch 1/2 pound of dough to a 10-inch round and use a 12-inch skillet so the dough is thin enough to cook through.
Heat Pan, Then Use Medium Heat
The tricky part when cooking pizza on the stovetop is making sure the crust gets baked but doesn't start to burn. Start by heating your pan on medium-high until it gets really hot. Reduce the heat to medium and add about 1 teaspoon olive oil until smoking. Medium heat should be high enough to develop golden, toasty spots on both sides without tipping it over into burning. It's fine to peek at the underside with a spatula and adjust the heat up or down as needed.
Cooking the First Side of the Pizza
Transfer the round of pizza dough to the pan. Cook until you see large bubbles forming on top and the underside shows golden spots, about 1 minute. You can deflate the bubbles with the edge of your spatula — or leave them! They'll turn into crispy bits once you flip the pizza.
Cover the Pizza to Cook the Top
Once you've cooked the first side and flipped the pizza crust, then add 1/2 cup sauce, and the toppings, like diced onions, diced peppers, cooked sausage, or any other favorite toppings EXCEPT pepperoni, which needs heat from above, and would just sit there getting flaccid and unpleasant, so don’t use it here.
Cover the pan to make sure the cheese melts and the other toppings get warmed through, about 4 to 5 minutes. Lift top to after 4 minutes to see if cheese is melted. For a more traditional oven-baked pizza, with all the crispy bits, you can run the pizza under the broiler for a minute or two toward the end of cooking. Once the cheese has melted to your liking, the pizza is ready!

bethk

bethk
Admin

Michelle ~ let me know how the pizza is!

I've made lots of pizza on the gas grill.  I usually prep the dough on non-stick foil and then use that to slide it on to the grill grates.  When the 1st side is set and just a bit brown I bring it back into the house and flip the dough over and use the browned side to put my toppings on.  Then, back to the grill with the lid down to let the bottom crust up and the toppings heat and cheese melt.

No cooking for me tonight. We're meeting friends at a Country Club and letting them do the cooking!

Crybaby

Crybaby

You go ahead and throw a couple pizzas on the grill, Beth.
Let's face it, you'll be out there making a video of the next
butterfly emerging from its cocoon anyway.

July, 2018 ~ Dinnertime in the heat..... - Page 4 387840482

I'll be the one inside in the A/C enjoying my cocktail
and making our pizza in a cast iron pan on the stove!
                                                                                         July, 2018 ~ Dinnertime in the heat..... - Page 4 1223290054

NormM

NormM

I lived in an apartment until I was 12. It had a walk-in pantry, a dine-in kitchen and large dining room with a built-in oak china cabinet.. It is almost 100 years old now but was only 35 years old by the time we moved out. There was a fire in it a few years ago and got rebuilt inside recently. This is how it looks today.July, 2018 ~ Dinnertime in the heat..... - Page 4 538-te10

bethk

bethk
Admin

Wow, Norm! Was it a 2 or 4 apartment building when you lived there? It's HUGE!

bethk

bethk
Admin

Crybaby wrote:You go ahead and throw a couple pizzas on the grill, Beth.
Let's face it, you'll be out there making a video of the next
butterfly emerging from its cocoon anyway.

July, 2018 ~ Dinnertime in the heat..... - Page 4 387840482

I'll be the one inside in the A/C enjoying my cocktail
and making our pizza in a cast iron pan on the stove!
                                                                                         July, 2018 ~ Dinnertime in the heat..... - Page 4 1223290054

Nah, we went out to eat. But if I had been here I would have made Dane go get 'take out' so I could babysit the last couple crysalis'......I feel like such a "Mom" ! LOL

OK everybody ~ in case you missed my post ~ go check out the 'Homestead' Worms post that I added to today! (said the proud Mama.....)

NormM

NormM

It is a four unit apartment. Ours was top floor on the left. Built in 1920. Looking back on it, it was pretty nice. Below us was a friend of Dad's. Bear and Fern. Next door was Miss Brown and her daughter. Mom said I called her piss moun. and below her was Gus and Grace with two sons. Both sons were grown and worked nights so she was always telling us to go play somewhere else. Grace worked in a tavern across the street that served boiled shrimp on Fridays. Most everyone it area were Catholic Croatians and didn't eat meat on Fridays but fish and shellfish were OK. Every Sunday she fried chicken and when we got home from church, she came out and gave me the liver because no one else like it. I had to eat it right there so she could get the plate back.

Niagara Visitor

NormM wrote:I lived in an apartment until I was 12. It had a walk-in pantry, a dine-in kitchen and large dining room with a built-in oak china cabinet..  It is almost 100 years old now but was only 35 years old by the time we moved out.   There was a fire in it a few years ago and got rebuilt inside recently.  This is how it looks today.July, 2018 ~ Dinnertime in the heat..... - Page 4 538-te10
That's a great looking building, and I think a great brick job.  Having been married for 51 years to a man in the masonry business, I learned to appreciate all things brick and stone!

NormM

NormM

Thanks. I always thought we were poor living in an apartment. But looking back, and comparing it to what I see in apartments today, it was pretty decent.

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

My first time ( I think Wink ) cooking Mongolian Beef, I added a bit of rice vinegar and it was really tasty, sweet and sour

I used this link

https://dinnerthendessert.com/mongolian-beef/

July, 2018 ~ Dinnertime in the heat..... - Page 4 Dscn1411
July, 2018 ~ Dinnertime in the heat..... - Page 4 Dscn1410

bethk

bethk
Admin

The recipe sounds easy enough, Imelda. But somehow yours always looks so much better than anything I manage to spoon on a plate.....

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

bethk wrote:The recipe sounds easy enough, Imelda.  But somehow yours always looks so much better than anything I manage to spoon on a plate.....

Thank you Beth, yes, it's easy to cook it, mine was not crispy, I did not add enough oil to fry the meat, and a little splash of rice vinegar made it tastier

I plan to cook Stroganoff ( spell?) for Dirk to bring to his parents, I'm going to use ground beef and mushrooms, and I'm thinking to add some chopped broccoli and red bellpeper ( for color), I don't know if it will ruin the taste, what do you think?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 11]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum