Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

March 2018,... What's for dinner ???

+4
Niagara Visitor
Bugster2
bethk
UNCLE JIMMY
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down  Message [Page 8 of 12]

176March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 8 Empty Re: March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:48 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

What is a smoked kielbasi loaf?

177March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 8 Empty Re: March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:11 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:What is a smoked kielbasi loaf?

It's a lunch meat / Cold Cuts made from the kielbasi filling, and filled into a loaf pan, them baked. Looks like cooked salami, or dutch loaf cold cuts.

Sliced to desired thickness.

178March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 8 Empty Re: March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:35 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Yes, before we moved to The Villages we had an auction to get rid of 48 years worth of accumulated "STUFF"......We bought it, we used it, it had been completely depreciated of value ~~ SO IT WAS JUST STUFF!. There was some sentimental stuff that got sold but we offered anything to our girls that they wanted. And that was surprisingly little.

What was really funny was the STUFF that sold for a lot of money....one thing in particular I remember. Dane had found some old soda bottles, Pepsi (no less) AND someplace else he came across a metal 6-pak Pepsi case. That metal 6-pak and half dozen empty bottles auctioned off for over $100. And Dane had FOUND those things hauling junk for other people.

My 54" round oak table with claw-feet finally sold for $25......((sigh))

But I'm not at all sorry. I didn't want to saddle our girls with the job of trying to get rid of all that stuff. Most had no meaning or value to them and it would have been a huge undertaking for either of them to try to deal with.

I just hope when (and IF) Robin and Ben EVER move out of the house they take all THEIR STUFF with them and don't leave it for us to deal with.

'Cause next time we're having a HUGE bon fire out behind the garage in the fire pit!

179March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 8 Empty Re: March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:30 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Well, ..... "Let me say this!" "I'm ready to run around, but enough already with trying to move with snow pants on!" ...."May as well stay here at IHOP and fill my chubby little Buddha Belly; while I await Spring!"

March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 8 Img_4010

180March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 8 Empty Re: March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:43 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Beth, this is how we get rid of the big trash, like recliners and such!
Lenny burying trash with the deer machine up on the farm!

There is the fire pit........and the trash pit.

March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 8 Lenny_10

181March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 8 Empty Re: March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:22 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

That looks like fun, Jimmy.....unfortunately, the tractor got sold years & years ago! LOL

182March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 8 Empty Re: March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:08 am

Niagara Visitor

I spied an ad for a wild game dinner the other day............. coming up in April.  So, I checked it out this morning and find it is for men only.  How disappointing.  We've been there before, hubby, me, son Michael and DIL Amy.

I had my taste buds all ready warming up for this.  When we went, it was in the same location, I wonder why they don't like women any more??????

183March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 8 Empty Re: March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:35 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Bet if you bought a ticket and showed up they would let you in.....

That's what I'd try ~ nervy woman that I am......LOL

184March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 8 Empty Re: March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:45 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

[quote="Bugster2"]What is a smoked kielbasi loaf?[/quote

Here it is .....

March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 8 Img_0818

185March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 8 Empty Re: March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:51 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

I don't believe I have ever seen that out here. It looks really good. Out here, all we have is pinky finger food. Nothing like what they have back east. I think there is one deli in downtown LA that makes their own pastrami but that is as far as it goes.

186March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 8 Empty Re: March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:18 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Got an email from Pati Jinich with this recipe in it. Sounded good and is a small enough amount to fit in our little indoor ice cream maker. I don't plan on buying Ceylon cinnamon and will just use a regular old cinnamon stick.

Burnt Milk Ice Cream
Makes a generous quart. Recipe from patijinich.com. Serve w/Animal Crackers

1-1/2 cups milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 stick Ceylon cinnamon or canela
3/4 cup sugar plus 2 Tablespoons
2 large eggs
1-1/2 cups heavy cream
Animal crackers for garnish

1. In a small saucepan set over medium heat, heat the milk, vanilla and cinnamon stick until a thin skin (called nata) forms on top and it barely begins to simmer, about 6 to 7 minutes. Don’t let it boil. Reduce to the lowest possible heat.
2. Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, add 3/4 cups sugar and place over medium to medium-low heat. Let the sugar begin to dissolve, swirling around and moving the whole sauce pan occasionally, but not stirring, until the sugar melts into a caramel syrup, about 7 to 8 minutes. Remove from heat.
3. Immediately, remove the cinnamon stick from the milk mixture, and pour it in a very thin stream into the hot caramel, whisking as fast as you can to incorporate it. The caramel will react very aggressively, but you need to continue pouring the milk at a steady slow pace and whisking fast with determination until it is all well combined. If for any reason any caramel hardened on the bottom of the pan, place back over medium heat and whisk until diluted. Remove from the heat.
4. In another bowl, whisk the eggs until thick and foamy. Add the remaining 2 Tablespoons of sugar and continue to mix. In a very thin stream, and very slowly, alternate incorporating the caramel milk and the heavy cream into the eggs, whisking continuously until it is all incorporated.
5. Pour the mixture into your ice cream maker and follow the manufacturer’s instructions (in my ice cream maker, it takes about 1 hour 15 minutes). Eat right away or freeze until ready to serve.

Serve with whole or crumbled animal crackers.

187March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 8 Empty Re: March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:19 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

bethk wrote:Bet if you bought a ticket and showed up they would let you in.....

My kind of woman, for sure!

188March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 8 Empty Re: March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:05 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Madge’s Damn Good Brisket
Recipe from Madge Schiff, Opelousas, Louisiana, 9.30.94

1 large vacuum-packed beef brisket, about 10 lbs. (select a brisket with as little fat as possible but don’t have the butcher trim it)
Tony Chachere's Seasoning
Sauce:
1 32-oz. bottle of ketchup
1 cup brown sugar
Worcestershire sauce, to taste
2 Tablespoons yellow mustard
1 teaspoon Liquid Smoke
1 package Lipton Dried Onion Soup Mix

1. Preheat the oven to 350⁰F. Mix all Sauce ingredients in bowl.
2. Season the brisket all over with Tony’s seasoning. Brown in a large roasting pan that you have a cover for (or you can use aluminum foil), first browning the side with no fat. Then flip the brisket over and brown the fatty side. Remove brisket from heat.
3. Mix all sauce ingredients together and pour over the entire brisket in the roasting pan. Cover the pan with its top or tightly with aluminum foil. Bake for about 15 to 20 minutes, then turn the oven temperature down to 300F. A ten-pound brisket should bake for at least 2-1/2 hours. Cool brisket on baking sheet. Slice the meat after it’s cooked with a very sharp knife at an angle across the grain starting at the little end.

Note from me: I looked for this recipe at home for ages and even asked here if anyone had it in case I'd posted it, but found no proof I'd ever posted it. I finally found it in a stack of magazines I had in my bedroom containing recipes I wanted to type in my recipe file on the computer. The funny thing about the recipe is a co-worker had given it to me (Madge's daughter, Stephanie) and her copy had "asides" in it like, "I know this line was meant for me." And the line was, "Cool brisket on baking sheet. Turn off the oven." Stephanie was no cook and her mom was a terrific cook (and had her own kitchen/gift shop in Opelousas, LA, which is about 250 miles from N.O.) who took forever to get dinner on the table when Steph was young -- as she made appetizers, fancy meals with several courses and lots of sauces, etc. When her kids complained that dinner was so late, her mom would say, "What are you complaining about?  You had appetizers!" When we'd eat lunch out, Stephanie would say after I ordered that I should've been her mom's kid, as no matter how nice the restaurant was that we went to, Stephanie always ordered a hamburger with the onions on the side. She just didn't cotton to "fancy food," but really liked this brisket as it's far from fancy.

I probably had this recipe for 20 years before we ever made it. Brian was looking through the stack one cold day trying to decide what we should cook and he came across this and said he'd always wanted to try it. It's simple, uses simple ingredients (I even had the Lipton Onion Soup mix on hand for a long ago dip made with frozen spinach), and tastes delicious. The house smells divine while you cook it, too.  Makes enough to put a decent amount in the freezer for another day, which we always like. After we slice the brisket, we put the meat back in the sauce. Wish I had a brisket right now, as it's gorgeous today and in the mid 60s. Takes only minutes to put this thing together after you brown the meat, another plus. We usually have corn bread with it, and either macaroni and cheese or coleslaw or both!

189March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 8 Empty Re: March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:51 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

This brisket sounds really good. I wish I liked leftovers over and over again because that's what I'd end up with. That, plus it's no longer a cheap eats type of meal. Just like chicken wings, when people found out how good it could be they made the price out of bounds for every day eats.

One thing that I do when I make something like this that I need to cover with foil.....IF it has tomato product in the sauce, cover it first with a layer of parchment paper and THEN the foil. The acid in the tomato reacts negatively with the foil sometimes.

And if you use a disposable foil pan to roast it in because of the size, then, YES, place it on a baking sheet (1/4 aluminum sheet pan) for stability.

But I'm preachin' to the choir here.....you all know all that stuff!

190March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 8 Empty Re: March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:50 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Grape tomatoes were BOGO this week.....and with the tomatoes we're harvesting I was afraid on package would go to waste ~ ~ what to make?  what to make?

Suddenly I remembered the BLT Pasta, which I really love, and decided that would be 'what's for supper' !  The best part of the dish, since it's so simple and uses very few ingredients, is the spoonful of buttered Panko crumbs you sprinkle over the hot pasta on your plate.....soaks up any of the additional juices and is just a wonderful addition.

March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 8 03_20_11

191March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 8 Empty Re: March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:32 pm

Niagara Visitor

bethk wrote:Bet if you bought a ticket and showed up they would let you in.....

Oh, I would have no problem doing that either.  But, I really don't want to go on my own.  Texted my son and DIL but they are busy that night.  I'll see if one of my neighbours wants to go, and I am going to call the organization which is putting it on.  

I crashed a men only club about 30 years ago.  We had a fireplace shop and I received an invitation to hear someone speak.  I had my secretary get me a ticket, and when I got there I realized that I was the only woman.  I mentioned it to someone, and was asked if I didn't know that the place was a men's business club.  I said, "Sorry, I got an invitation, bought a ticket, and I'm not leaving."  It became a regular business club after that!  

There were many times that I received mail addressed to Mr. Lorne Schafer.  I think people just figured that Lore must have meant that my name was really Lorne, because surely a woman couldn't be the owner of such a male dominated business as a fireplace shop.

192March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 8 Empty Re: March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:06 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Too funny, Lore......no matter how many years it's been, it's still amazing how little credit we got for the jobs we did.

193March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 8 Empty Re: March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:35 am

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

I had 2 zucchinis that I bought last week, I was planning to make zuccghetti but I forgot about them until this morning I saw them tucked in the bottom of my fridge drawer.

When we were in Jakarta, my dear friend invited us to her Japanese restaurant, she served us a plate of Japanese spaghetti, it was so good, the pasta was coated with Parmesan cheese, spaghetti sauce and salmon roe

March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 8 20180215

Here I made my Zucghetti, I heat olive oil in a big pan, added my zucchini noodles, then covered my pan with the lid, turned off the heat, I let them cooked for 5 minutes, then I drained my "pasta" and coated them with lots of Parmesan cheese, for the chicken, I browned 4 thin slices of chicken breast, then cooked them in sauteed onion, garlic and chopped chili pepper, I added some spaghetti sauce, simmered them for 10 minutes, garnish with cilantro and parsley

March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 8 Dscn9615

Here are some pictures of the meat we ate at my friend's Japanese restaurant, we grilled them ourselves, look at the marble, they were prime cut and so good

March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 8 20180211
March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 8 20180213

this is Japanese style Quesadilla, topped with blue cheese, but their blue cheese was good, not too pungent
Wink

March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 8 20180212

194March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 8 Empty Re: March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:37 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Your spaghetti looks SOOOOOO tasty! It's interesting how you took the idea of the spaghetti you were served and 'made it your own', with zucchini noodles, no less! I would never have thought of tossing the zucchini noodles in parmesan to absorb some of the moisture, but that really makes sense. The wagu beef looks so amazingly tender. I can only imagine how good it was.

195March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 8 Empty Re: March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:39 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I'm a PEA PICKER.......I pick peas every day!

It's amazing how many pea pods you can grow in a couple patio pots.......I had a stuffed quart zip bag full so I had to come up with a meal plan to use some of them, at the least. I have gotten 'smart' and I 'clean' them.....string them and remove stems and blossom ends.....BEFORE I stash them in the refrigerator bag. That way, they just need to be cooked and I don't have to mess around with them when I'm ready to cook.

So, tonight ended up as a beef stir fry with pea pods.....and a few other vegetables, but mainly pea pods.

March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 8 03_21_10

196March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 8 Empty Re: March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:00 pm

Niagara Visitor

In the spring, when I hear/read all about all th new growing stuff, I contemplate moving so that I could have a great balcony.  A balcony where I could still grow stuff after leaving the farm.  And then I think, "Maybe I'll just go to my son's house and sit in their backyard!"  

Got a small pork tenderloin in the oven for tonight, and made a really big batch of "texas Coleslaw" from one of my favourite cookbooks.  "America Cooks" The Federation of Womens' Clubs of America"  I love that book.  My late friend gave it to me in 1984.

197March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 8 Empty Re: March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:02 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Today was a joy of snowfall, and cooking.
Tina made a pot of chili with beans, and a beef stew.
The chili was good....but the stew uh?????? dry meat / no taste .
We need to marinade the beef, if you ask me.

We got 8 inches of snow; so spring yard work isn't gonna happen. I say, put all our efforts into cooking.

Tina tried a new Blue Tube apple pie. March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 8 411572088 NOT!!!..... The cinnamon buns flattened in a pan, then canned apple filling. We both said Yuck!

198March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 8 Empty Re: March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:34 pm

NormM

NormM

My supper came out of a can.  The label said Artisan Pork Chili with beans and green chilis.  What it was was a can of soupy beans with the taste of hot chili and very little meat.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

199March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 8 Empty Re: March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:46 am

Niagara Visitor

Cans are good occasionally.

200March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 8 Empty Re: March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:00 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:My supper came out of a can.  The label said Artisan Pork Chili with beans and green chilis.  What it was was a can of soupy beans with the taste of hot chili and very little meat.

My son growing up in his teens, just loved Dinty Moore canned beef stew.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 8 of 12]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum