Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

October, 2017.....What's for dinner?

+2
Crybaby
Niagara Visitor
6 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 10]

76October, 2017.....What's for dinner? - Page 4 Empty Re: October, 2017.....What's for dinner? Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:53 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I wish I had enough space on my countertop for a free-standing microwave. The one I have is above the stove and has a fan to 'vent' into my face. I hate it. I have an ocellating (sp?) fan on my refrigerator that is on 24/7 just to move the air in the kitchen so I can tolerate being there. I miss my outside vented range hood so much and, hopefully, when we get around to remodeling this house I'll be able to have a real range hood vent installed. I don't have a clue what I'll do about the microwave as I want to keep my toaster oven, toaster, coffee maker, Kuerig coffee maker and KitchenAid Mixer all on the counter ~ I'm such a small appliance hog! I want 'em all....and I use them all, a lot of the time. So, I haven't figured it all out yet.....BUT I WILLLLLL! LOL

We've eaten so much in the last week that when I asked for a supper suggestion I heard, "Tacos" and thought, that sounds good to me. So, soft and hard tacos it was with some guacamole & chips. For once I didn't over eat, although I did pour myself a nice margarita from the bottle in the refrigerator!

77October, 2017.....What's for dinner? - Page 4 Empty Re: October, 2017.....What's for dinner? Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:20 pm

NormM

NormM

Funny you mentioned tacos. There was an article in the paper today about going out for tacos and it mentioned a Mexican grocery just down the street that has a hot food line and they are rated #1 in the area for their tacos.

Last week i got a two pack of steaks.  Each one was enough for both of us and I made one and posted it last week. We split it and today I sliced up the other one and made Philly cheesesteak sandwiches.  There was enough to make 4 or 5 sandwiches.  I toasted the buns on the griddle on the stove but didn't think to take pictures.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

78October, 2017.....What's for dinner? - Page 4 Empty Re: October, 2017.....What's for dinner? Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:24 pm

Niagara Visitor

I imagine that you have to look seriously at how many times you actually use each small appliance. Remove one at a time for a few days at a time, and see how much you use/miss it. I have never had a toaster out on the counter, even when we had 3 teenagers. We had quite a bit of counter space, I just didn't like to see everything out. We had a toaster oven which could toast things. Do you have both a Keurig and a regular coffee maker? And are they used daily? I imagine that you could get used to just one.

I've been looking seriously about putting my KitchenAid mixer into my pantry, cause I don't use it much. But, it was my daughter's and I feel sentimental about seeing it daily.

Good luck!

79October, 2017.....What's for dinner? - Page 4 Empty Re: October, 2017.....What's for dinner? Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:32 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

I did man stuff today. I was busy, and the guy next door helped me a lot.
I help him with his car problems / repairs. He helps me bending and kneeling which I
cannot do anymore.
SOooooo! Mrs. Tina made a casserole of what we call.... "Lazy Stuffed Cabbages"
This time, she chopped the cabbage instead of leaves whole.
It was so good, as you can see, I hogged down 1/2 the casserole.

She made macaroni salad too! .....

October, 2017.....What's for dinner? - Page 4 Img_0612
October, 2017.....What's for dinner? - Page 4 Img_0611

80October, 2017.....What's for dinner? - Page 4 Empty Re: October, 2017.....What's for dinner? Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:59 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Niagara Visitor wrote:I imagine that you have to look seriously at how many times you actually use each small appliance.  Remove one at a time for a few days at a time, and see how much you use/miss it.  I have never had a toaster out on the counter, even when we had 3 teenagers.  We had  quite a bit of counter space, I just didn't like to see everything out.  We had a toaster oven which could toast things. Do you have both a Keurig and a regular coffee maker?  And are they used daily?  I imagine that you could get used to just one.  

I've been looking seriously about putting my KitchenAid mixer into my pantry, cause I don't use it much.  But, it was my daughter's and I feel sentimental about seeing it daily.  

Good luck!

My problem is the two of us who live here.....

HE uses the toaster, almost daily. I use the toaster oven, almost daily ~ for more than just toast, I might add, but HE doesn't like his toast made in the toaster OVEN because it doesn't get as black as he likes it.

HE uses the Keurig because he likes strong coffee. I use a Mr. Coffee drip pot because I like weaker coffee and drink almost a pot each morning.....

I use the Kitchen Aid mixer at least 3 times a week and I hate lifting it from a cabinet, but if something HAD to go, that would be the one.

I'm just happy he no longer insists on having the Hot Water Hot Pot for making tea or the big Espresso Maker sitting on the countertop that he 'just had to have' for a while after we moved here. They are back in the original packing boxes and in a cabinet in the garage. If he decides he wants to make tea on a regular basis (and water heated in a microwave ISN'T good enough) or if he wants to make espresso more than once, he can schlep them out of the garage cabinet, remove them from the box, assemble and use and then RETURN to where he found them......by now he's probably forgotten we even have the silly machines! LOL

81October, 2017.....What's for dinner? - Page 4 Empty Re: October, 2017.....What's for dinner? Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:02 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:I did man stuff today. I was busy, and the guy next door helped me a lot.
I help him with his car problems / repairs. He helps me bending and kneeling which I
cannot do anymore.
SOooooo! Mrs. Tina made a casserole of what we call.... "Lazy Stuffed Cabbages"
This time, she chopped the cabbage instead of leaves whole.
It was so good, as you can see, I hogged down 1/2 the casserole.

She made macaroni salad too! .....

Oh, YUM, Jimmy! I use to make that "faux" Cabbage Roll Casserole ~ I used sliced cabbage and layered with the meat/rice mixture and poured the sweet/sour tomato sauce over all. I use to make it in a 9 X 13 Pyrex dish and hope it was enough for the four of us!

But, truth be told, I do still like the "REAL" Cabbage Rolls the best. But that casserole is a close second!

82October, 2017.....What's for dinner? - Page 4 Empty Re: October, 2017.....What's for dinner? Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:02 pm

NormM

NormM

When Cassie moved out, she took the Keurig with her and I was glad it was gone. I used it twice and went back to the one I use daily. It makes about 2 cups and that is all I drink. When I got a toaster oven, I moved the toaster to the basement and it will probably be in the next garage sale.

83October, 2017.....What's for dinner? - Page 4 Empty Re: October, 2017.....What's for dinner? Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:55 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

WoW! .... All I did was finish supper; then dropped my head, and fell asleep.
In the computer / office chair no less! I guess my belly was happy?
Time for a snack.... Ice cream/,......or candy in the Halloween barrel already.

84October, 2017.....What's for dinner? - Page 4 Empty Re: October, 2017.....What's for dinner? Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:00 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

And who's asleep in the new electric recliner???

Hahahahahaha!

85October, 2017.....What's for dinner? - Page 4 Empty Re: October, 2017.....What's for dinner? Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:17 pm

Niagara Visitor

Guess I wasn't thinking about two people using the kitchen. My hubby didn't use the kitchen other than to come and look if there were leftovers after the B&B guests were finished having breakfast. We liked the same coffee, neither drank tea. And, we both liked dark rye bread which we never toasted.

86October, 2017.....What's for dinner? - Page 4 Empty Re: October, 2017.....What's for dinner? Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:27 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:And who's asleep in the new electric recliner???

Hahahahahaha!

The Mrs. is / was sleeping in the new recliner. TV is on and blasting, and she just woke up to get some mashed potatoes. Her cabbage pigs in the blanket didn't stay down. Poor thing!
She sleeps soundly when Stalag-13 comes on the TV.
She says that show makes her nice and cozy!

87October, 2017.....What's for dinner? - Page 4 Empty Re: October, 2017.....What's for dinner? Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:31 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

We went to 'The Farm' to purchase squash when we were in Ohio. Small acorn, butternut and spaghetti squash for $1 each. Tonight I just had to have squash! I baked off an acorn and a butternut. We ended up eating the acorn and I have the butternut in the refrigerator to reheat or make soup out of. I do love me a big bowl of butternut squash soup!

And since I was dumb enough to NOT eat lunch before or after my exercise class today, I was STARVING and decided a 4:45 p.m. supper was in order.

I pan fried a couple nice pork chops, had the squash, steamed broccoli in the microwave (such an easy way to cook it) and made half a dozen corn muffins (from a box of Jiffy mix). The squash was so, SO good.

Some years all the local squash would taste 'green' and watery but this must have been a good growing year because it tasted as if it had been injected with brown sugar ~ so sweet! I've got the rest of the squash in the garage refrigerator, layered with newspaper so they don't get damp and rot on me. I don't want to lose a single one.

88October, 2017.....What's for dinner? - Page 4 Empty Re: October, 2017.....What's for dinner? Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:25 pm

NormM

NormM

I cooked a couple of Spencer steaks inside on a cast iron griddle. It set off the smoke alarm but it was good. The potato cooked really fast in the new microwave and the tomato will probably be one of the last from the garden.October, 2017.....What's for dinner? - Page 4 20171017

89October, 2017.....What's for dinner? - Page 4 Empty Re: October, 2017.....What's for dinner? Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:13 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

For the last few years I've been starting my potatoes, whether white or sweet, for just a couple minutes in the microwave and then finishing them on the grill or oven or cast iron pan. One of my favorites is to place thick slices of white or yukon gold potatoes on a pile of parmasan cheese on non-stick foil (either in cast iron or on the grill) and let them brown up, then flip and brown the other side. It gives the potatoes a nice crunch and saltiness that is different than just s&p.

90October, 2017.....What's for dinner? - Page 4 Empty Re: October, 2017.....What's for dinner? Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:15 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Steaks look great! Ummmm! I want steak tomorrow!

Supper was Hungry Man Salisbury Steak frozen TV Dinner. I manned it down, like a Hungry Hungry Hippo!
Tina had a bologna sandwich.

91October, 2017.....What's for dinner? - Page 4 Empty Re: October, 2017.....What's for dinner? Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:22 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:For the last few years I've been starting my potatoes, whether white or sweet, for just a couple minutes in the microwave and then finishing them on the grill or oven or cast iron pan.  One of my favorites is to place thick slices of white or yukon gold potatoes on a pile of parmasan cheese on non-stick foil (either in cast iron or on the grill) and let them brown up, then flip and brown the other side.  It gives the potatoes a nice crunch and saltiness that is different than just s&p.

That Sounds Good! .... Tomorrow for breakfast sounds good!
Along with an egg / mushroom / onions omelet!

92October, 2017.....What's for dinner? - Page 4 Empty Re: October, 2017.....What's for dinner? Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:46 pm

NormM

NormM

I like your way to do potatoes. It sounds good.

93October, 2017.....What's for dinner? - Page 4 Empty Re: October, 2017.....What's for dinner? Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:17 pm

NormM

NormM

Supper is still a couple hours off but we are having Korean grilled pork with rice and whatever sides we have in the refrigerator, including some lettuce leaves and seaweed.October, 2017.....What's for dinner? - Page 4 20171018

94October, 2017.....What's for dinner? - Page 4 Empty Re: October, 2017.....What's for dinner? Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:48 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Oh, my, but I so wish we had gas available here so I could have a gas stove again. But, alas, it isn't possible in this neighborhood so I might as well stop drooling over your beautiful and versatile stove. ((sigh))..................

Dane came up with the idea for tonight's supper. I asked, "What do you want for supper tonight?" earlier today and he actually came up with a menu suggestion that was something I had in the freezer and could make without going to the store!

He wanted chicken chunks with hot sauce....So, a large chicken breast came out of the freezer to thaw. I just de-boned and skinned it and cut it into 1" - 2" 'chunks'. I browned them in a bit of evoo & butter, just until cooked through and golden on the outside. His got put into a bowl with Frank's Buffalo Red Hot Sauce and mine got a drizzle of Korean BBQ Sauce while still in the cast iron pan just to glaze them. I peeled and cut up the small butternut squash I had baked in the oven last night and made some creamed corn from fresh sweet corn I picked up at Aldi's when I was grocery shopping on Wednesday. Supper was easy, quick and pretty darn good.

95October, 2017.....What's for dinner? - Page 4 Empty Re: October, 2017.....What's for dinner? Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:19 pm

NormM

NormM

It has been at least 45 years since I last had a gas stove and I am happy to have one again. They sure have more possibilities than the old days.

96October, 2017.....What's for dinner? - Page 4 Empty Re: October, 2017.....What's for dinner? Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:09 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Today was watch the baby day for us. The baby is crawling like a speed demon now, and he gets into everything. He is easily distracted, but at our age, he is a lot of work.
Especially with dressing and diaper changes.
He can crawl faster than we can run to chase him. It's so funny. I had to fend for myself; eating pork burger 1/2 sandwiches, and meatballs fried that were like 5 days old.

Tina had to drop the baby off at our sons, and she high tailed it to Hamburg ( that'a the town )for her 6:00 pm appointment. She is so happy, and she had her hair shortened. Highlighted too.She looks 10 years younger. She was happy with that, but not when I said she can play "Peter Pan",
at the Centenary college stage.

97October, 2017.....What's for dinner? - Page 4 Empty Re: October, 2017.....What's for dinner? Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:11 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:Supper is still a couple hours off but we are having Korean grilled pork with rice and whatever sides we have in the refrigerator, including some lettuce leaves and seaweed.October, 2017.....What's for dinner? - Page 4 20171018

That pork looks so delicious and crunchy!

98October, 2017.....What's for dinner? - Page 4 Empty Re: October, 2017.....What's for dinner? Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:24 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:Supper is still a couple hours off but we are having Korean grilled pork with rice and whatever sides we have in the refrigerator, including some lettuce leaves and seaweed.October, 2017.....What's for dinner? - Page 4 20171018

Norm, the pepper paste is new to me, but is it really spicy?

Another thing, is that griddle temperature controlled? I was wondering because It shows # numbers on the gas dial?
Mom had a "Tappan" range that had one special burner that had a thermostatically controlled burner.

99October, 2017.....What's for dinner? - Page 4 Empty Re: October, 2017.....What's for dinner? Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:40 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Oh, my, but I so wish we had gas available here so I could have a gas stove again.  But, alas, it isn't possible in this neighborhood so I might as well stop drooling over your beautiful and versatile stove.  ((sigh))..................

Dane came up with the idea for tonight's supper.  I asked, "What do you want for supper tonight?" earlier today and he actually came up with a menu suggestion that was something I had in the freezer and could make without going to the store!

He wanted chicken chunks with hot sauce....So, a large chicken breast came out of the freezer to thaw.  I just de-boned and skinned it and cut it into 1" - 2" 'chunks'.  I browned them in a bit of evoo & butter, just until cooked through and golden on the outside.  His got put into a bowl with Frank's Buffalo Red Hot Sauce and mine got a drizzle of Korean BBQ Sauce while still in the cast iron pan just to glaze them.  I peeled and cut up the small butternut squash I had baked in the oven last night and made some creamed corn from fresh sweet corn I picked up at Aldi's when I was grocery shopping on Wednesday.  Supper was easy, quick and pretty darn good.

Sounds like you both will have pepper pain on your tongues for a bit.
When Tina worked, she used to cook chicken wings like that, and then in the deep fryer to crisp the wings .....Later, as they came to room temp, she would drizzle the butter vinegar and pepper sauce over the wings. The keep them in the big electric warmers for the people to sample for free! ....
The part I didn't like, was the vinegar in the recipe. Now the recipe,
was the stores recipe; handed to the Butcher / Meat departments to prepare.

She made them for me without the vinegar, and they were much better but lost the crispy part with all that sauce and butter. I told her, NO MORE!

100October, 2017.....What's for dinner? - Page 4 Empty Re: October, 2017.....What's for dinner? Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:59 am

NormM

NormM

Jimmy, the griddle is not part of the stove. I got it at Bed, Bath & B. It was on sale.  The center part of the stove has a built in grill but it only has a 1000 btu rating. This was over what they call a power boil burner @ 1800 btu. I had it on #8 out of 10.  It gets pretty hot.  Charlie said that this meat should be charred. It is traditionally cooked over charcoal.

PS the pepper paste is red chili peppers and it is hot. I won't say how hot because it probably is not as hot to me as it might be to someone else. When I got some on my hands and licked it, it was pretty hot but cooked on the meat, it didn't seem as hot.  At the Asian store it is in a red plastic box and is called gochuchang. October, 2017.....What's for dinner? - Page 4 Unknow10

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 10]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum