Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

October, 2017.....What's for dinner?

+2
Crybaby
Niagara Visitor
6 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down  Message [Page 6 of 10]

126October, 2017.....What's for dinner? - Page 6 Empty Re: October, 2017.....What's for dinner? Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:08 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Supper was pea soup leftovers..... Salami sandwich; and watermelon wedges.

127October, 2017.....What's for dinner? - Page 6 Empty Re: October, 2017.....What's for dinner? Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:12 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I grilled a strip steak and had 'purple' sweet potatoes and buttered peas along side.

The purple sweet potatoes were some I picked up at the Farm Market we stopped at on Wednesday. When I washed them and put them on a plate the color ran off. Then, when I trimmed the ends, I found they were white on the inside. And when I cooked them (par-cooked in the microwave and finished on the grill) they were incredibly DRY. They had more the flavor of a green plantain than of a sweet potato. I'm fairly certain I won't be purchasing any more of them even if they are a pretty color!

Lore, where do you garden? Is it a community type garden on an empty lot in the city? Somehow I'm picturing a couple large pots on your balcony, 20 floors up......LOL

128October, 2017.....What's for dinner? - Page 6 Empty Re: October, 2017.....What's for dinner? Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:08 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:I grilled a strip steak and had 'purple' sweet potatoes and buttered peas along side.

The purple sweet potatoes were some I picked up at the Farm Market we stopped at on Wednesday.  When I washed them and put them on a plate the color ran off.  Then, when I trimmed the ends, I found they were white on the inside.  And when I cooked them (par-cooked in the microwave and finished on the grill) they were incredibly DRY.  They had more the flavor of a green plantain than of a sweet potato.  I'm fairly certain I won't be purchasing any more of them even if they are a pretty color!

Lore, where do you garden?  Is it a community type garden on an empty lot in the city?  Somehow I'm picturing a couple large pots on your balcony, 20 floors up......LOL

And how did Dane like the purple potatoes?
We had them once as a potato chip. Not bad as with melted cheese on them.
I won't eat them. I don't like colored stuff; like green beer on St Patrick's day. Marshmallow peeps must be yellow for me to eat them! hahaha.

129October, 2017.....What's for dinner? - Page 6 Empty Re: October, 2017.....What's for dinner? Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:42 am

NormM

NormM

I baked some bread today. Last time the second loaf got moldy before we got to it so I did one loaf and put the dough for the other one in the freezer.October, 2017.....What's for dinner? - Page 6 20171020
October, 2017.....What's for dinner? - Page 6 20171021

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

130October, 2017.....What's for dinner? - Page 6 Empty Re: October, 2017.....What's for dinner? Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:17 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:I baked some bread today. Last time the second loaf got moldy before we got to it so I did one loaf and put the dough for the other one in the freezer.October, 2017.....What's for dinner? - Page 6 20171020
October, 2017.....What's for dinner? - Page 6 20171021

Nothing quite like Homemade Bread, and Home churned Butter....Looks nice and dense.

Tina makes a batter bread. "5 loaves!"..... By the time we finish the first loaf, the others are in penicillin production. The kids won't eat bread like that, and I certainly can't consume much. I don't like bread refrigerated,
and I certainly don't need any more weight to carry Roll around.

131October, 2017.....What's for dinner? - Page 6 Empty Re: October, 2017.....What's for dinner? Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:52 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Oh, my, Norm.....that bread looks really good. I agree with holding off on the second loaf dough ~ it's difficult for just a couple people to eat a loaf of bread before it goes bad, especially since so many of us have cut back on carbs.

But YOUR loaf would be hard for me to resist!

Remember (Oh, crap....I can't remember his name) our forum buddy from Sarasota, Florida who made bread every week? He use to say he would wrap the second loaf in foil as soon as it was out of the oven and put it into the freezer. He swore when it thawed it was the same as fresh baked.

((His name is on the tip of my tongue and I just can't recall......getting old sucks!))

132October, 2017.....What's for dinner? - Page 6 Empty Re: October, 2017.....What's for dinner? Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:58 am

Niagara Visitor

Where was I gardening???? My son had this brilliant idea that I, and his father-in-law needed to get our hands dirty. Danny (son) has a friend with a large property which includes a raised, large bed in which friend's parents used to garden. So, son and friend helped us get the bed ready. We planted peas, radishes, carrots, cucumbers, beans, squash, peppers red and white cabbages, lots of tomatoes............. I think we harvested 5 peas, no carrots or radishes, the cabbages only grew to be baseball size, the peppers rotted on the plant (too much rain) the Brussels sprouts grew to be about the zize of the tip of my thumbs(but very delicious)......................... the weeds grew to be 4 ft. high................. But the sunflowers were good, the marigolds are still bright yellow, and the cosmos are gorgeous.

So, next year no more driving 15 miles one way to pick two tomatoes........ I had planted three heritage kinds, a yellow, a deep burgundy and one green striped which each gave me three or four tomatoes. The beefsteak actually did quite well, but it surely is not worth it financially to plant so far away.

Instead of veg. gardening, I have now joined the gardening group here in our building which maintains and plants the flowerbeds here around my building. I live on the 12th. floor, we have no balconies.

133October, 2017.....What's for dinner? - Page 6 Empty Re: October, 2017.....What's for dinner? Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:45 am

NormM

NormM

I had saved a couple of his recipes and looked them up to find his name: Pete Schuyler. He measured everything down to the nth degree. ( 2 1/8 Tbsp sugar, 1 5/8 tsp. salt, 1 3/8 Tbsp. sugar, 36 oz. bread flour) I am the opposite kind of bread maker. I don't even measure flour when I bake. I just add flour until it looks right in the mixer and feels right on the kneading board.

134October, 2017.....What's for dinner? - Page 6 Empty Re: October, 2017.....What's for dinner? Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:27 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Oh, my, Norm.....that bread looks really good.  I agree with holding off on the second loaf dough ~ it's difficult for just a couple people to eat a loaf of bread before it goes bad, especially since so many of us have cut back on carbs.

But YOUR loaf would be hard for me to resist!

Remember (Oh, crap....I can't remember his name) our forum buddy from Sarasota, Florida who made bread every week?  He use to say he would wrap the second loaf in foil as soon as it was out of the oven and put it into the freezer.  He swore when it thawed it was the same as fresh baked.

((His name is on the tip of my tongue and I just can't recall......getting old sucks!))

Was it ... "PeteFL"...??

135October, 2017.....What's for dinner? - Page 6 Empty Re: October, 2017.....What's for dinner? Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:50 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:I had saved a couple of his recipes and looked them up to find his name: Pete Schuyler.  He measured everything down to the nth degree.  ( 2 1/8 Tbsp sugar,  1 5/8 tsp. salt, 1 3/8 Tbsp. sugar, 36 oz. bread flour)  I am the opposite kind of bread maker. I don't even measure flour when I bake. I just add flour until it looks right in the mixer and feels right on the kneading board.

You are right Norm. It was Pete. I didn't even see your post and Lore's post when I posted later. It seems like I don't get posts until a delay cuts me in.??? ....

I am the same with the recipe. Depending on the brand of flour, I usually adjust the feel of the dough.

136October, 2017.....What's for dinner? - Page 6 Empty Re: October, 2017.....What's for dinner? Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:09 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Niagara Visitor wrote:Where was I gardening???? My son had this brilliant idea that I, and his father-in-law needed to get our hands dirty.  Danny (son) has a friend with a large property which includes a raised, large bed in which friend's parents used to garden.  So, son and friend helped us get the bed ready.  We planted peas, radishes, carrots, cucumbers, beans, squash, peppers red and white cabbages, lots of tomatoes............. I think we harvested 5 peas, no carrots or radishes, the cabbages only grew to be baseball size, the peppers rotted on the plant (too much rain) the Brussels sprouts grew to be about the zize of the tip of my thumbs(but very delicious)......................... the weeds grew to be 4 ft. high................. But the sunflowers were good, the marigolds are still bright yellow, and the cosmos are gorgeous.

So, next year no more driving 15 miles one way to pick two tomatoes........ I had planted three heritage kinds, a yellow, a deep burgundy and one green striped which each gave me three or four tomatoes.  The beefsteak actually did quite well, but it surely is not worth it financially to plant so far away.

Instead of veg. gardening, I have now joined the gardening group here in our building which maintains and plants the flowerbeds here around my building. I live on the 12th. floor, we have no balconies.

Yes, I'm with you, Lore ~ no more gardening. Of course, I still have my pots of herbs that I use regularly. Oh, and Dane just planted some of last year's snow pea seeds in a pot ~ if they grow, great! If not, oh, well. I know after 4 years of miserable 'FAILS', I will NOT be trying to plant or grow any tomatoes in this miserable Florida climate. Either it's too cool or the plants grow and produce beautiful fruit and then it turns miserably hot and it just rots on the plant. And none of them ever taste like our Ohio tomatoes. We can do a winter crop of radishes, which is usually fun to grow (cool weather, winter, crop here) but that's just about it. My zucchini plant was beautiful but the fruit just dried up and withered away.

137October, 2017.....What's for dinner? - Page 6 Empty Re: October, 2017.....What's for dinner? Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:11 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Yup, Norm & Jimmy, it was Pete. His name came to me when I woke up at 3:00 this morning. It wasn't worth it to me to drag my tired behind out to the computer to tell you his name at that time of the morning.

I knew YOU knew who I was talking about!

Hahahahahaha

138October, 2017.....What's for dinner? - Page 6 Empty Re: October, 2017.....What's for dinner? Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:18 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

There will be no supper cooking here tonight.

We drove an hour to Disney Springs and had lunch with my nephew, Tim, and his 'new' wife, Kaitlin. It was the first chance we've had to meet her since they got married in June. They are just such a nice couple ~ we laughed all through lunch!

We went to The Boathouse and the food and service was top notch. I had clams, Kaitlin had salmon & salad and both Tim & Dane ended up with some gigantic burger that looked really, really good. When they contacted us and said they would be staying on Disney property but didn't rent a car I thought Disney Springs would be the perfect location to meet them. They can use the free Disney transportation to get there, outside the parks, and we could drive there, park for free and go to any one of the 50 or so restaurants without having to purchase a park ticket (which would probably be a couple hundred dollars for the two of us). Walking around Disney World is not my idea of a fun day ~ too much blacktop and concrete for my hips & feet (yes, I AM a wimp....).

139October, 2017.....What's for dinner? - Page 6 Empty Re: October, 2017.....What's for dinner? Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:59 pm

NormM

NormM

We went through that first loaf of bread pretty quickly so I made the second one today. I also make Chicken Ptarmigan green beans, carrots and Mac & Cheese. I got all the stuff out for pasta and a cheese sauce but was out of cream and was looking for evaporated milk when I saw the blue box and thought what the heck, I have done enough for one day.

October, 2017.....What's for dinner? - Page 6 20171022

140October, 2017.....What's for dinner? - Page 6 Empty Re: October, 2017.....What's for dinner? Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:05 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Funny you should say that about the 'blue box', Norm.

Since I don't like cheese, the Kraft Mac & Cheese in the blue box was the ONLY mac & cheese I can eat ~ and I have to eat it as soon as it's mixed together. If I let it sit and get thick it's too much like 'real' cheese and it just gags me. But if I eat it (thinned out with extra milk so it's like macaroni soup) as soon as it's made I love the flavor. It's the texture of 'cheese' I don't like, apparently, so this is the one kind of mac & cheese I'm able to eat. I use to make it for the girls when they were small because they loved it, especially with boiled hot dog pieces.

Yes, I use to make gourmet meals for my girls from a very young age!

Hahahahahaha

141October, 2017.....What's for dinner? - Page 6 Empty Re: October, 2017.....What's for dinner? Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:32 pm

NormM

NormM

Just now, Charlie said he thought the blue box was the best mac & cheese. He likes it better than the Deluxe with the cheese sauce in a pouch that you just open and mix in.

142October, 2017.....What's for dinner? - Page 6 Empty Re: October, 2017.....What's for dinner? Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:41 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

I am waiting for supper.
Mac & cheese Velveeta with shells in the box.

143October, 2017.....What's for dinner? - Page 6 Empty Re: October, 2017.....What's for dinner? Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:51 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Hahahaha....glad EVERYONE got the menu memo!

144October, 2017.....What's for dinner? - Page 6 Empty Re: October, 2017.....What's for dinner? Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:10 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Supper was.... Blah!!!

145October, 2017.....What's for dinner? - Page 6 Empty Re: October, 2017.....What's for dinner? Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:22 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

I guess today was Mac & Cheese day?
Is tomorrow "Griddled Cheese Day?"

146October, 2017.....What's for dinner? - Page 6 Empty Re: October, 2017.....What's for dinner? Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:42 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I'll pass on that one, thank you very much.

Tomorrow morning I'll have to get inspiration for supper.....I'm STILL stuffed from lunch today ~ the fried clams with a few French fries was what I always call a 'fat fix' lunch. I don't have it often but when I do, it's WONDERFUL!

I'm not sure what it'll be. I know I have some fatty bone-in pork chops, we just had a beef steak and had chicken the day before that.....and this morning the leftover Haluski with Hungarian brats, noodles & cabbage got tossed. Somehow reheated cabbage just isn't close to the taste when it's fresh. I have no idea why we always manage to 'save' the leftovers ~ neither of us will eat it reheated for a lunch later in the week.

147October, 2017.....What's for dinner? - Page 6 Empty Re: October, 2017.....What's for dinner? Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:35 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:I'll pass on that one, thank you very much.

Tomorrow morning I'll have to get inspiration for supper.....I'm STILL stuffed from lunch today ~ the fried clams with a few French fries was what I always call a 'fat fix' lunch.  I don't have it often but when I do, it's WONDERFUL!

I'm not sure what it'll be.  I know I have some fatty bone-in pork chops, we just had a beef steak and had chicken the day before that.....and this morning the leftover Haluski with Hungarian brats, noodles & cabbage got tossed.  Somehow reheated cabbage just isn't close to the taste when it's fresh.  I have no idea why we always manage to 'save' the leftovers ~ neither of us will eat it reheated for a lunch later in the week.

That's like with me! I wake up; sit at the counter, check the bank for what was paid, and before I even have that first sip of coffee, Tina is saying,"What do you want for supper hon?" I'm like,"Paleeze!!!" Let Me wake up. LOL I'll admit though, I drop the same question on her sometimes.

148October, 2017.....What's for dinner? - Page 6 Empty Re: October, 2017.....What's for dinner? Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:25 pm

Niagara Visitor

Seeing the pictures of all that bread surely makes me want to get out the yeast, flour etc. and start kneading something. I made some really good breadsticks a while ago. I am going to my uncle's 85 th. b-day party next week. Family will be going out for dinner, after that friends and neighbours will come for drinks and finger type snacks. I think I'll break out that breadstick recipe and make some more. They were fun to make. Tomorrow will be baking day!

149October, 2017.....What's for dinner? - Page 6 Empty Re: October, 2017.....What's for dinner? Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:57 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I'm with you, Lore....playing with yeast dough is fun and theraputic....good for the soul! I love the smell of it when you pull the towel or plastic wrap off after a rest. Yeast has always been one of my 'comfort smells'....have fun!

I ended up pulling a couple fatty pork chops out of the freezer this morning. I did an old fashioned pan-fry, seasoning with s&p and a light dusting of flour. I browned them in some oil and then added some chicken stock and a lid and let them simmer for a while. Then, lid came off and the moisture reduced ~ got a nice golden crust and they were tasty.

I baked one of my Ohio squash....butternut. Funny, but it looks exactly like the one that was called a kaboucha (sp?). Maybe they're one & the same. The flesh is dense and dark orange and it tastes like I injected the flesh with brown sugar syrup. I'll probably use some for soup for my lunch later in the week. I've got a lot leftover. Had some green beans with Penzey seasoning on the side.

150October, 2017.....What's for dinner? - Page 6 Empty Re: October, 2017.....What's for dinner? Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:40 pm

cookingirl

cookingirl

Beth, just an FYI, the HoneyNut squash are in large quantities at Trader Joes.. I had one last week; it was amazing... so good.. just baked with butter, S&P....

I cooked a pork chop to go with it. I browned it on top of the stove with Grapeseed Oil, S&P. then placed it in the oven to finish cooking, after the squash was finished baking. It was in for around 5 minutes. It was so moist, and delicious.. of course, the chop was from the butcher shop... yummy..

Today was just a comfort meal: a REAL Polish Kielbasa, mashed potatoes and pickled beets.. so good.,

I am loading up on all my favorite food, especially chewy stuff. I am having some dental surgery on the 30th.. I will be eating oatmeal, Pastina macaroni, ice cream, smoothies, and pudding for a few weeks... along with chicken broth and soup...

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 6 of 10]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum