Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?"

+4
Crybaby
Niagara Visitor
bethk
UNCLE JIMMY
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

Go down  Message [Page 13 of 15]

301"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 13 Empty Re: "September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:46 am

Crybaby

Crybaby

NormM wrote:Charlie brought home some roast chicken and sides from a Mexican food truck.  It was good.

All the food trucks down here have super food. And the Mexicans make food that is so freaking fresh that it's always delicious. I wish the food trucks would move around and hit our neighborhood once in a while...

302"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 13 Empty Re: "September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:40 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Good to see you back in the saddle, Michelle! And it's good to hear your kitchen is back in use. Bet it'll be a while before you or Brian suggest going for take-out instead of making something in your 'risen again' kitchen!

When our group goes out to lunch I never know how many may show up. Last week we had 8, but we're expecting another one to return to the area this week.

And in The Villages all the restaurants are use to individual checks. We can have some picky people but, as a rule, everyone is pretty good about not making a lot of changes or requests. And everyone is a decent tipper. I don't think I've ever seen anyone leave less than maybe 18%, but that's just a guesstimate since I don't take my calculator around the table to check. But the one thing they DO require (and remark on when we're deciding where to go...) ~ Which restaurants have the most liberal "POUR", that is, do you get a FULL glass of wine for your money or not? LOL

When we are 'in season' and we have our community monthly breakfasts where we have 40 or 50 people show up at 9 a.m. we STILL get individual checks without question. And that's when our neighbors get REALLY generous with their tips. It's not unusual to see a $10 tip on a $12 check just because everyone appreciates the wait staff and how good they are down here. They even tip the same when it's a breakfast buffet because the wait staff is very attentive to making sure the coffee pots are refilled and plates cleared.

Believe me, if I needed the extra income and I could get fitted for new feet and legs, I'd go back to being a waitress in The Villages any day!

303"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 13 Empty Re: "September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:16 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

I hate splitting the bill too. Some people would have drinks and I wouldn't and I would end up having to pay for those drinks. It really bothered me to be eating with freeloaders who make 1000 times more money than I do and expect me to pay for their meals.
My sister once went out with a few of her friends at a place in Carmel, CA. One of the gals chose the wine for the group. They went through two bottles. Now, you have to understand that my sister only associates with the vulgar rich. When the bill came my sister almost passed out. Each one of those bottles cost $200. As it turns out, the lady knew the cost of the wine before hand and graciously paid for the wine. She didn't expect anyone to pay for it.

304"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 13 Empty Re: "September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:35 am

NormM

NormM

One of the TV cooks remarked that the best restaurant cooks always seem to be Mexican. I think it was Bourdain who said it. Once when Cassie was still with us (she speaks Spanish) she noted that all the people in the kitchen of the Greek restaurant we were in were speaking Spanish.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

305"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 13 Empty Re: "September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:55 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

Out here in California, most people that work in kitchens are Mexican. They are good cooks, especially when it comes to street food.

306"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 13 Empty Re: "September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:06 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

NormM wrote:One of the TV cooks remarked that the best restaurant cooks always seem to be Mexican. I think it was Bourdain who said it.  Once when Cassie was still with us (she speaks Spanish)  she noted that all the people in the kitchen of the Greek restaurant we were in were speaking Spanish.

That doesn't surprise me at all, Norm. Down here, especially since Hurricane Katrina when New Orleans got a large influx of Mexicans who came to help with the cleanup -- and God bless them, as our city would STILL be on its knees without their assistance and hard work in conditions that would make "deplorable" conditions seem a step up -- there are more Mexican food places. (We are truly blessed that the "gumbo" of ethnicities who make New Orleans and its suburbs their home now include Mexicans who came here for work and stayed put.) Of course, so many serve Americans' versions of Mexican food and are not run by Mexicans but if you make an attempt, you can find a very small place here and there, some of them the size of a snowball stand, some of them in trucks (but not the expensive made-to-order food trucks most people are familiar with), that have Mexicans actually preparing the food of their country. I always note the ones that have Mexican workers lining up around lunchtime, as I know those are the ones which serve authentic food at reasonable prices. Every ingredient they serve is fresh and if it's beans or something like that which take some time, you can be sure those beans were cooking first thing that morning -- EVERYTHING they serve is delicious and is prepared in the simplest and best way. Many Mexicans have told me that beans are such an important part of their cuisine that the average Mexican has a pot of beans cooking almost daily. Who knew?!

When I stop at a place like I described, I try to listen to what all the Mexicans in line end up ordering so I know what's best at that particular spot. If they seem chatty, friendly and speak English, I go ahead and ask them what they recommend while we're hanging in the line. Like all really good cooks, Mexicans seem to be able to make the most delicious meals out of the simplest and freshest ingredients.

307"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 13 Empty Re: "September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:31 pm

NormM

NormM

There has been a large amount of people of Mexican origin here in Kansas City since the the Chisholm trail and railroads started bringing in Texas cattle from Abilene and other towns during old cattle drive days and the meat packing houses expanded to include beef as well as the pork already being processed here.

308"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 13 Empty Re: "September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:41 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

My husband always knew which roach coach had the best Mexican food. There were always these hole-in-the-wall carniceria's that Joe would frequent bringing home carne, salsas, homemade tortillas, and at Christmas, tamales. He won't touch anything that may have come directly from Mexico. Roomie is very careful too. I refuse to step into the country now. We had the health department banging on our door after Joe got sick on some cheese from Mexico. Katie was hospitalized with campylobacter pylori that she got in a layover in Mexico City. I got sick at a fancy hotel in Puerto Vallarta. It is so funny because when the Mexicans that have been living here go back to Mexico to visit family, they get sick. They have lost the immunity that they had while living there.

309"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 13 Empty Re: "September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:25 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

bethk wrote:And in The Villages all the restaurants are use to individual checks.  We can have some picky people but, as a rule, everyone is pretty good about not making a lot of changes or requests.  And everyone is a decent tipper.  I don't think I've ever seen anyone leave less than maybe 18%, but that's just a guesstimate since I don't take my calculator around the table to check.  But the one thing they DO require (and remark on when we're deciding where to go...) ~ Which restaurants have the most liberal "POUR", that is, do you get a FULL glass of wine for your money or not?  LOL

Well that just proves they are a fun bunch of dames to have lunch with! Having worked as a bartender, a cocktail waitress and with my last service job being that of a waitress from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m., I served food at lunch and then cocktails in the afternoon.  Nothing I liked better than people who would have a drink or two with their lunch, as it jacked up the bill so the percentages were more in my favor.  

bethk wrote:When we are 'in season' and we have our community monthly breakfasts where we have 40 or 50 people show up at 9 a.m. we STILL get individual checks without question.  And that's when our neighbors get REALLY generous with their tips.  It's not unusual to see a $10 tip on a $12 check just because everyone appreciates the wait staff and how good they are down here.  They even tip the same when it's a breakfast buffet because the wait staff is very attentive to making sure the coffee pots are refilled and plates cleared.

That really speaks well for the women you “hang” with, Beth, and the community residents as a whole in The Villages. Though I never worked at a place that could accommodate a huge crowd, it was always a server’s worst nightmare when a large group of people came into the place at one time, as it’s kind of hard to please everyone as you get to people as fast as you can but it’s often not as quickly as you would like or as the customer would like.  But then your community seems to be so attuned to the residents there that it’s pretty impressive.  I’ve always doubted that the type of community you live in would appeal to me but the more I hear about it, the nicer it sounds.  And of course, I’d count myself lucky to end up having you and Dane as neighbors (and not just ‘cause I would be hoping you’d deliver some of your baked goods to my house either)!   Laughing  Rolling Eyes

310"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 13 Empty Re: "September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:32 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Joe and I ran into the snottiest waiter at Nepenthe in Big Sur. We were with a group of people. I wasn't going to eat but Joe was. I asked if we could have a separate check. We were the only ones asking. He was a high busted queen and told us in his snottiest voice that they don't do separate checks. Well, excuuuuuse me! We got stuck paying for a meal and wine we didn't drink.

311"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 13 Empty Re: "September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:05 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Bugster2 wrote:Joe and I ran into the snottiest waiter at Nepenthe in Big Sur. We were with a group of people. I wasn't going to eat but Joe was. I asked if we could have a separate check. We were the only ones asking. He was a high busted queen and told us in his snottiest voice that they don't do separate checks. Well, excuuuuuse me! We got stuck paying for a meal and wine we didn't drink.

Lots of places don't do separate checks for a very good reason, Debbie, whatever it may be but most often because they're not staffed up enough to take the extra time to devote to it, as it does indeed take more time for the server and the person ringing up the checks for the server even if there's a POS system for the server to use.  

You didn't get stuck paying for wine you didn't drink because of a "high busted queen," which description I personally find offensive. You got stuck paying for wine you didn't drink and a meal you say you paid for and didn't have because you were unwilling to speak up to the people you dined with.  I presume you didn't want to look "cheap" but if the waiter was unwilling and perhaps forbidden by house policy from making separate checks, you were willing to pay for the "meal and wine" you didn't have rather than speak up to the group of people you were dining out with. It obviously bothered you enough to still not only blame it on the waiter by not only mentioning it here but by castigating him based on your "take" on his appearance.  You should have had the gumption to say something to the "friends" you were dining with at the time, as either pay the bill and live with it or speak up.  You certainly haven't exhibited a lack of gumption around here so it puzzles me why you and your husband would hesitate to just put in what you owed and explain your reason for doing so, as you obviously had believed that you owed a lot less than you ended up contributing. The only other solution would be not to go out with anyone else, particularly if you don't plan on eating or drinking and hesitate to speak up to the people who ostensibly "overcharged" you.  But don't blame your behavior on the waiter especially publicly in such offensive terms.

312"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 13 Empty Re: "September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:14 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Tonight we had the steak salad Dane requested last week that I vetoed in favor of a steak dinner.

I knew when I grilled the Provencal London Broil that there would be half left over to slice thin. I usually let it sit on the countertop, out of the refrigerator, for an hour or so because I like it to 'get the chill off' before slicing super thin to lay on top of our salads.

HE'S on an iceburg lettuce kick lately so I didn't bother stopping for fresh romaine. It was just as easy to chop up half a head of lettuce. I added sliced carrots, celery, radishes, cucumbers and sprinkled some La Choy Rice Noodles on mine, just because I like it.

313"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 13 Empty Re: "September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:32 pm

NormM

NormM

"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 13 20170913

I made a Texas style chili (no beans, chunky meat and spicy)

314"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 13 Empty Re: "September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:43 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Crybaby wrote:

That really speaks well for the women you “hang” with, Beth, and the community residents as a whole in The Villages. Though I never worked at a place that could accommodate a huge crowd, it was always a server’s worst nightmare when a large group of people came into the place at one time, as it’s kind of hard to please everyone as you get to people as fast as you can but it’s often not as quickly as you would like or as the customer would like.  But then your community seems to be so attuned to the residents there that it’s pretty impressive.  I’ve always doubted that the type of community you live in would appeal to me but the more I hear about it, the nicer it sounds.  And of course, I’d count myself lucky to end up having you and Dane as neighbors (and not just ‘cause I would be hoping you’d deliver some of your baked goods to my house either)!   Laughing  Rolling Eyes

I was trying to remember about lunch last Friday....I think the bill for lunch was $6.45 for the Vegetable Lo Mein Combo meal. A few ladies ordered a glass of wine (it's usually under $3.50). Without wine I know the tip left was $2. With wine, I saw $3 added. So, that's what? 30% ~ 31%

Now, that's not to say they tip that percentage all the time, but when we go out for our lunches it's usually because it's inexpensive and none of them are cheap tippers. And that's why we go out for breakfast or lunch. Dinner time is more expensive to eat out, and there's definately more alcohol, which, as you said, adds a lot to a bill. But I think, as a rule, the tips run upwards of 20% even then. We appreciate the service staff that is here to serve us. And I think that is why they never object to 'separate' checks. They look at it as part and parcel of their jobs with all the single people here.

When the price is right you really don't mind leaving a decent tip. When we go down to the square to listen to the music and watch people dance there are kiosks set up for "Happy Hour". Last time I went it was 2 for 1 ~ and I had 2 Bloody Marys.....REALLY STRONG Bloody Marys. $4.50 for 2. And I put a $2 tip in the tip jar, a buck a piece I figure. Now, IF I could drink more than 2 (and, quite honestly, I cannot even finish 2 of their Bloody Marys), you can imagine how much I might tip for the second set of 2! LOL

315"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 13 Empty Re: "September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:50 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

NormM wrote:

??? Don't look like no chili to me....... ???????????

Actually, it looks BETTER than my chili! LOL Last time I made chili I couldn't find any of my favorite Bush's HOT Chili Beans, only mild. But I found a large can of some other brand of Cajun Chili Beans. I figured cajun should be hot, so I opened the can and dumped it in. Well, I won't make THAT mistake again. It was similar to a huge can of refried beans, nothing but mushed up non-descript beans, I couldn't tell you what kind they were if you paid me. And they had no flavor, let alone heat.

But, hey, I wasn't going to waste a whole batch of chili. I just divided it up into containers and Dane's been eating it out of the freezer for the occasional lunch ever since.

((notice I said DANE is eating it ~ NOT Beth......Evil ~ pure evil))

316"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 13 Empty Re: "September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:07 pm

NormM

NormM

It was more like a very spicy beef stew. I probably should have chopped finer but I cut it smaller than the recipe said.

317"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 13 Empty Re: "September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:10 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Did you make it in your Instant Pot? Your meal looks like a perfect fit for that kind of cooking.

318"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 13 Empty Re: "September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:28 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Crybaby wrote:
bethk wrote:And in The Villages all the restaurants are use to individual checks.  We can have some picky people but, as a rule, everyone is pretty good about not making a lot of changes or requests.  And everyone is a decent tipper.  I don't think I've ever seen anyone leave less than maybe 18%, but that's just a guesstimate since I don't take my calculator around the table to check.  But the one thing they DO require (and remark on when we're deciding where to go...) ~ Which restaurants have the most liberal "POUR", that is, do you get a FULL glass of wine for your money or not?  LOL

Well that just proves they are a fun bunch of dames to have lunch with! Having worked as a bartender, a cocktail waitress and with my last service job being that of a waitress from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m., I served food at lunch and then cocktails in the afternoon.  Nothing I liked better than people who would have a drink or two with their lunch, as it jacked up the bill so the percentages were more in my favor.  

bethk wrote:When we are 'in season' and we have our community monthly breakfasts where we have 40 or 50 people show up at 9 a.m. we STILL get individual checks without question.  And that's when our neighbors get REALLY generous with their tips.  It's not unusual to see a $10 tip on a $12 check just because everyone appreciates the wait staff and how good they are down here.  They even tip the same when it's a breakfast buffet because the wait staff is very attentive to making sure the coffee pots are refilled and plates cleared.

Alright. I give up. I can't seem to not offend.

319"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 13 Empty Re: "September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:40 pm

NormM

NormM

bethk wrote:Did you make it in your Instant Pot?  Your meal looks like a perfect fit for that kind of cooking.

I should have. I never thought about that.

320"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 13 Empty Re: "September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:52 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

NormM wrote:
bethk wrote:Did you make it in your Instant Pot?  Your meal looks like a perfect fit for that kind of cooking.

I should have. I never thought about that.

Should have mentioned what you were making and I would have asked the question earlier..........LOL

321"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 13 Empty Re: "September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:00 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Tina fried breaded egg plant and I kept pick pick picking from the dish.
I was full, so the rest here, will be for tomorrow, sauced and cheesed, and layered over spaghetti.Better yet, Rigatoni.....

"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 13 Img_0633

322"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 13 Empty Re: "September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:07 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 13 20170913

Looks awesome Norm. Nice little chewy pieces of meat!

I made chili once, with ground beef, and I added diced steak-um's ;
you know, the minute steaks thinly sliced, and frozen.
I fried them first, then diced, and added it to the ground beef.

Yours looks tastier than the steaks I used.

323"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 13 Empty Re: "September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:10 pm

NormM

NormM

I am thinking it needs some tweaking before it's a 'done' recipe.

324"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 13 Empty Re: "September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:14 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:I am thinking it needs some tweaking before it's a 'done' recipe.

If it were me, I would tweak it with a 1/2 loaf of Norms twisted braided bread, and a couple bottles of beer! LOL

325"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 13 Empty Re: "September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:25 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Tina fried breaded egg plant and I kept pick pick picking from the dish.
I was full, so the rest here, will be for tomorrow, sauced and cheesed, and layered over spaghetti.Better yet, Rigatoni.....

If you had been pickin' away at my meal as I cooked it, you would have nothing but a bloody stump left at the end of your arm..... LOL

You better be careful or that'll be the LAST thing she cooks for a long time!

((You're such a BAD BOY!))

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 13 of 15]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum