Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Paper Towels and Toilet Paper Direction ???

5 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Bugster2

Bugster2

Does anyone remember the cat box cake? Most disgusting thing I ever saw.

Crybaby

Crybaby

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:First off! It surely is great to hear from you ( even though it's on a toilet paper post hahahahahaha on a food cooking forum! hahahahahahahaha.......
We have missed you, and were concerned with the rain and flooding in NOLA. There are several posts ( back a couple days on the what's to eat for dinner etc. posts.)

A Statue of the TV character Dr. Dolittle in the oh? I guess early to late 70's. For little Jimmy, we bought him a toy of Dr. Doolittle.
It was a bust, fairly large in plastic. Stood about 14 inches tall.
Weird! ,,,,, Well, little Jimmy was like 7 or 8 , and we placed the statue on his dresser. Every night, he would turn the face toward the wall.
I would sneak in his room, and turn it back so it would now look at him.
'10 minutes later.... yep! .... Jimmy would AGAIN, face it to the wall.
We finally had to give it to my wives nephew!

How nice of you guys to even notice I haven't been around and how sweet you are to tell me, Jimmy.  Naturally, where do I go pretty much right off the bat?  The toilet paper thread!!!  I'll elaborate in the dinner thread why I've been MIA lately.  

You KILLED me with what you did with that statue, Jimmy.  Right up the alley both Brian and I live in!  Hilarious.  And Brian just woke up and I had him laughing, too, about Dr. Dolittle and your antics!

Last edited by Crybaby on Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:36 pm; edited 1 time in total

Crybaby

Crybaby

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:We picked up potato and macaroni salad at Piggy's Deli.
It had a hint of onion green leaves chopped too small to distinguish.
The celery, was a  approx. 1/2 teaspoon ( yes! in a pint container ) if that, of celery LEAVES!!!

Is Piggy's Deli the deli at the Piggly Wiggly?! I haven't seen a Piggly Wiggly in over 30 years!

Crybaby

Crybaby

Bugster2 wrote:Does anyone remember the cat box cake? Most disgusting thing I ever saw.

I agree, Debbie. Only saw it in pictures, thank God!

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Crybaby wrote:
The celery, was a  approx. 1/2 teaspoon ( yes! in a pint container ) if that, of celery LEAVES!!!

Is Piggy's Deli the deli at the Piggly Wiggly?!  I haven't seen a Piggly Wiggly in over 30 years!

No.... No piggly wiggly here! .... Just the name of the deli in town.

Crybaby

Crybaby

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:
Crybaby wrote:

Is Piggy's Deli the deli at the Piggly Wiggly?!  I haven't seen a Piggly Wiggly in over 30 years!

No.... No piggly wiggly here! .... Just the name of the deli in town.

Is there a "Piggy" there who runs the deli? Perfect deli name. Have to ask if there is a Piggy if he/she is on the plump side?

NormM

NormM

Crybaby wrote:I checked out Cassie's website ages ago, Norm, and I think I got her link from looking at your blog.  She really did some amazing cakes.  I remember when Charlie helped her make some decorations for one of her cakes -- which one escapes me now (of course) but perhaps it was computer-oriented or a Harry Potter or something. I remember being quite impressed with Charlie's work as well.

I remember seeing that Coors Lite cake on her site and it was and still is amazing.  She really had a talent for it, that's for sure.

Whenever I think of Cassie, the very first thing I think of after cakes is how she didn't like celery!  No lie.  My SIL doesn't use it either; she says it's tasteless.  And I can't seem to cook anything without onions, garlic AND celery -- that's my "trinity" instead of the usual onion, garlic and bell pepper.  Though I like green peppers, I usually don't like the way they taste in leftovers when they were diced up and cooked with the onions and garlic.  It's funny, as I was watching one of John Besh's cooking shows one time and he said he doesn't use green pepper in the famous trinity either -- he said his mom didn't use it so he tends not to use it then either.  

She works for Cracker Barrel and they make a stuffing that we both think is dreadful and it tastes of too much celery. I think that is why she does not like celery. She had a long list of things she didn't like and I honestly think some of the reasons she didn't like them had little logic. I saw some of her work after she left and I don't think it is on a par with what it was. I wonder how much of what she did was due to Charlie's help.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

Crybaby

Crybaby

NormM wrote:She works for Cracker Barrel and they make a stuffing that we both think is dreadful and it tastes of too much celery. I think that is why she does not like celery.  She had a long list of things she didn't like and I honestly think some of the reasons she didn't like them had little logic.

I think often a person's "dislike" is illogical based on what you know they DO like.  My SIL and her family were really not exposed to what I call real food -- good food and things that accentuate the flavor of foods that most of us kind of pick up as we go through life.  Granted, most of us LIKE to cook so I know we tend to stretch our tastes a bit in order to try or experience different ingredients and also different cuisines. My brother was no "adventurous eater" by any stretch of the imagination when he lived at home, that's for sure, so I can't blame all of it on her. And since SIL doesn't like certain things, her kids and my brother (now) don't like them either.  Like "salads" -- I think I mentioned our having dinner there one time when she said she knew Brian and I liked salad but they didn't eat it so she had some for us.  It was a plate of wet iceberg lettuce on the table with a bottle of some dressing next to it.  We had to laugh on the way home, as we said she obviously didn't like lettuce and not salads, as that wasn't a salad.

I remember admiring Beth when she said she didn't let her kids know she didn't like cheese when they were young so they didn't develop a dislike for it just because of her.  I think it would be pretty hard to keep that from them but she managed to do it.  And let's face it, cheese shows up in a lot of food stuffs so she really gave them the ability to like it.  I was pretty impressed with that.

After Charlie and Cassie broke up, you were a bit more forthcoming about her many dislikes -- I was amazed as I wouldn't have been so vocal about my dislikes and would've just eaten around the celery or just avoided certain dishes.  I was amazed at how many things you were making again since she wasn't there anymore.  And bless your heart, as you really did "suffer" in silence as you hadn't mentioned how many things you no longer used or made because of Cassie!

Norm wrote:I saw some of her work after she left and I don't think it is on a par with what it was. I wonder how much of what she did was due to Charlie's help.

That's not surprising, as I remember some of his detailed work for one of her cakes.  I'm going to have to check out her website again so I can tell you which cake it was where I was so impressed with his little "sculptures" of sorts. It may also be Charlie's support and encouragement, too, that she is without now -- yours too.  Those things often mean a lot to a creative person. Or maybe she's just not happy anymore. That would definitely show up in an artist's work and cake making/decorating was really her art of sorts.

How Charlie doing in that regard, Norm? I hope he's feeling good and is happy.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Crybaby wrote:
NormM wrote:She works for Cracker Barrel and they make a stuffing that we both think is dreadful and it tastes of too much celery. I think that is why she does not like celery.  She had a long list of things she didn't like and I honestly think some of the reasons she didn't like them had little logic.

I think often a person's "dislike" is illogical based on what you know they DO like.  My SIL and her family were really not exposed to what I call real food -- good food and things that accentuate the flavor of foods that most of us kind of pick up as we go through life.  Granted, most of us LIKE to cook so I know we tend to stretch our tastes a bit in order to try or experience different ingredients and also different cuisines. My brother was no "adventurous eater" by any stretch of the imagination when he lived at home, that's for sure, so I can't blame all of it on her. And since SIL doesn't like certain things, her kids and my brother (now) don't like them either.  Like "salads" -- I think I mentioned our having dinner there one time when she said she knew Brian and I liked salad but they didn't eat it so she had some for us.  It was a plate of wet iceberg lettuce on the table with a bottle of some dressing next to it.  We had to laugh on the way home, as we said she obviously didn't like lettuce and not salads, as that wasn't a salad.

I remember admiring Beth when she said she didn't let her kids know she didn't like cheese when they were young so they didn't develop a dislike for it just because of her.  I think it would be pretty hard to keep that from them but she managed to do it.  And let's face it, cheese shows up in a lot of food stuffs so she really gave them the ability to like it.  I was pretty impressed with that.

After Charlie and Cassie broke up, you were a bit more forthcoming about her many dislikes -- I was amazed as I wouldn't have been so vocal about my dislikes and would've just eaten around the celery or just avoided certain dishes.  I was amazed at how many things you were making again since she wasn't there anymore.  And bless your heart, as you really did "suffer" in silence as you hadn't mentioned how many things you no longer used or made because of Cassie!  

Norm wrote:I saw some of her work after she left and I don't think it is on a par with what it was. I wonder how much of what she did was due to Charlie's help.

That's not surprising, as I remember some of his detailed work for one of her cakes.  I'm going to have to check out her website again so I can tell you which cake it was where I was so impressed with his little "sculptures" of sorts. It may also be Charlie's support and encouragement, too, that she is without now -- yours too.  Those things often mean a lot to a creative person. Or maybe she's just not happy anymore. That would definitely show up in an artist's work and cake making/decorating was really her art of sorts.

How Charlie doing in that regard, Norm?  I hope he's feeling good and is happy.

Our DIL is a salad eater. When she is coming over for many meals we have, she will bring her salad, and we will buy the bagged mixed salad, and tomatoes and cucumbers. We have all the dressings she likes too. We don't eat salads, but when we do, we will find out we have to give it to whomever will want to take it home as leftovers.
Growing up in an Italian Kitchen, and surrounded by food. ( Looks like the Michelin man had ME surrounded, and he is still around me. LOL

Mom would make weird salads, with sliced radishes, and grapes and tangerine sections. Yuck! We didn't go for that, but they, ( MOM & Dad ) Loved it. Especially when there were snails in the salad.

Grandma, on the other hand, made salad with greens, tomato diced, and vinegar & olive oil. Period. That to me was enough, and I ate it.

NormM

NormM

Michelle, Charlie has been diagnosed with depression which he has had for several years before he met Cassie, but the break-up didn't help. However he had an extensive personality test just before the break-up which confirmed that he was not having illusions like Cassie told him he was having. She had him committed to a hospital for that once and they confirmed that he was depressed but not suicidal and was not imagining anything to the extent that she kept telling him. She is the one with the personality disorder. Charlie said it is called the Dark Triad and that is causing him some problems still, but I think he is getting better.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

Crybaby

Crybaby

I like ALL salads, Jimmy. There's nothing wrong with the classic salad you and Tina have with lettuce, tomato and cukes, and we often have one just like that.

But I've got to tell you that your Mom's "weird" salad sounds delicious to me as well.

I like how most restaurants today will allow you to add some protein, chicken, grilled shrimp, turkey, etc., to a plain or spinach salad. It really makes a meal out of a salad and the protein helps fill you up.

We used to order these huge salads from this natural food restaurant when I worked downtown. They were big enough to eat over two days and we'd usually get someone to run over and pick up our order. We had a "baby" (newbie) attorney then who was also an R.N. and he'd get this shrimp remoulade salad they made, which was delicious -- it was also my favorite from the place as it was full of shrimp and their remoulade dressing was delicious and they gave you tons of it. One day he was in shock when our boss, the female OBSESSED with weight (e.g., she allowed herself one Splenda a day as she said they had lots of carbs!), told him his salad was well over 1,000 calories. He didn't believe her and looked at me and, of course, I had to agree with her. He thought he was "dieting" by getting a salad like that for lunch. I was stunned since he was an R.N. I'd assumed he knew something about nutrition, calories, fats, etc. He looked at me and I told him, "Hey, don't look at me as I don't eat one of those every day like you do. I eat lunch about once a week and skip it most days so I save my calories for dinner. That salad is an extravagant treat for me but I had no clue you thought it was low cal and/or healthy!" I hated to agree with ol' skinny minny standing there gloating with a huge grin on her face but she was correct.

After I lost 50 pounds while on steroids by watching what I ate and exercising a minimum of an hour a day (got up at 4 a.m. every morning to do it before work) for five days a week, I was looking really good, not just proper weight but well toned, too, and in good shape. The building we worked in occasionally gave away free snowballs in the afternoon or had Krispy Kreme donuts in the lobby in the morning and would invite everyone down to enjoy. I got a doughnut one morning and she gave me some grief about it. I told her in no uncertain terms that I wanted a donut and would have one whenever I damn well pleased. Just because I lost weight didn't mean I was going to get neurotic over my food intake like she was. She laughed at my crack but I'm sure it rankled her but she really shouldn't be butting in on what people ate, as it's none of her business. I never gained the weight back either and am even lighter today but I'm sure that's due to the fact that I no longer exercise -- muscle weighs a lot. I sure wish I didn't suffer with so much back pain so I could use the treadmill and the exercycle like I used to, but alas, I think those days are over...

Crybaby

Crybaby

NormM wrote:Michelle, Charlie has been diagnosed with depression which he has had for several years before he met Cassie, but the break-up didn't help. However he had an extensive personality test just before the break-up which confirmed that he was not having illusions like Cassie told him he was having.  She had him committed to a hospital for that once and they confirmed that he was depressed but not suicidal and was not imagining anything to the extent that she kept telling him.  She is the one with the personality disorder.  Charlie said it is called the Dark Triad and that is causing him some problems still, but I think he is getting better.  

I knew Charlie suffered from depression, Norm, but I am appalled that Cassie played games with his head like that. What a cruel bi*ch and that's the best thing I can call her. I'm glad he's doing better and I'm glad he's rid of her, as she certainly must have some serious problems to be so hateful, cruel and downright dangerous to someone suffering with depression. I have never forgotten the "Angel story" you told us, Norm, about Charlie that morning long ago with the man and his Airedale; I choke up just mentioning it.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2