Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Paper Products

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Paper Products Empty Paper Products Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:18 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

How many times do we buy paper napkins or paper plates for an occasion only to have a few left over?  If you're like me, you have them stuffed in cabinets and drawers waiting....just waiting.  Well, MY waiting is over, it's time to use that stuff up.  The Hoosier cabinet I had always used as a china cabinet has moved to Indiana.  In one of the drawers I found partial packages of paper products from the past many years.

So, if you happen to drop by to laugh at my disarray and chaos you'll see those snowman paper plates and The Wiggles napkins adorning my table!

2Paper Products Empty Re: Paper Products Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:40 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

ya know thats funny becuz just this morning I was reading the new food ad/s & there is a sale on bounty napkins. I said to myself gosh I have not bought paper napkins in YEARS>>>

I have hundreds of cloth napkins. Plus when the boys are over I give them paper towels lol.

paper plates I buy when they are BOGO sale & stock up.I run the dishwasher every day you would think I would have less to wash... nope...

I do use less garbage bags tho.

3Paper Products Empty Re: Paper Products Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:40 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Over the years I've given all my old cloth napkins to DD in Indy.  She's the only one who won't use them as cleaning rags....  I've been using cheap paper napkins for years just because...  But I couldn't believe how many left over paper plates I had stashed here and there.  But now is the time for us to make use of them and finally be done with the assortment.

4Paper Products Empty Re: Paper Products Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:42 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

I'm gonna bump this one up!

The girls will use a paper plate for a cookie or cake, and woosh! Throw it in the garbage. I'm like Wha Wha What are you doing??? Save it for when you eat something else.
Tina says,"Oh What the heck, they have crumbs on them!"
"Where are we supposed to keep them?"

I said,"On the counter by your pills Medicine Girl!"

I like the plastic plates. I wash mine off and use it over and over until it cracks!.

Remember the very first paper plates that were made of papyrus.
Tina bought a thousand of them cheap, at Sams Club. They are so absorbing, you cannot eat anything moist on the plate.
The plates look like the Egyptians Hammered them out with a rock.
They are gray color, like the old Ink Blotters when I went to school.

5Paper Products Empty Re: Paper Products Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:01 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

No more paper plates at DD's...she refuses to buy them. But I have noticed if she or the GS want some chips or snacks they just leave the bag open and only seal it shut when finished. If I did that the bag would be empty before I realized it - mindless eating is one of my vices and I have to be careful with my snack choices.

6Paper Products Empty Re: Paper Products Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:32 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

I would rather use paper plates then run my dishwasher more. It is just me for the most part & I always have a full dishwasher & sink full of pots & pans & dirty stuff.I run it now once a day.so paper plates are great for me.I use them a lot.. I do wash my zip lock bags too.

7Paper Products Empty Re: Paper Products Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:43 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

We never use paper plates -- I just don't like eating on them. I also don't like drinking out of any type of plastic cup or glass.

I do buy the oval Chinette plates, as we put two under every smoked turkey we give away -- and we cover the turkey and plates with one of those "brown in bags," and put a bow around it. Those bags are great to surround a turkey on its platter when putting it into the fridge after Thanksgiving, so we usually have those bags on hand.

My mom stopped using her dishwasher once she lived on her own. She'd just wash her own plate/glass in the sink. When she tried to use it again, it wouldn't work. The repairman told her she needed to run it at least once a week even if she ran it empty.

Me? I couldn't live without a dishwasher. I put everything in there that will fit -- I'd put the giant crawfish boiling/turkey frying pot in the dishwasher if it would fit, I swear! The new one we recently bought works better than any dishwasher we've ever had.

8Paper Products Empty Re: Paper Products Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:42 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Crybaby wrote:We never use paper plates -- I just don't like eating on them.  I also don't like drinking out of any type of plastic cup or glass.  

I do buy the oval Chinette plates, as we put two under every smoked turkey we give away -- and we cover the turkey and plates with one of those "brown in bags," and put a bow around it.  Those bags are great to surround a turkey on its platter when putting it into the fridge after Thanksgiving, so we usually have those bags on hand.  

My mom stopped using her dishwasher once she lived on her own.  She'd just wash her own plate/glass in the sink.  When she tried to use it again, it wouldn't work.  The repairman told her she needed to run it at least once a week even if she ran it empty.  

Me?  I couldn't live without a dishwasher.  I put everything in there that will fit -- I'd put the giant crawfish boiling/turkey frying pot in the dishwasher if it would fit, I swear!  The new one we recently bought works better than any dishwasher we've ever had.  
Ha Ha Ha .... I had the big clam steamer pop, and I wanted to wash and sanitize it in the dishwasher. LOL I removed the top sliding drawer rack, and it fit perfectly.

The turkey leftovers, we have two of those Tupperware oval Ham Takers they called them They are great for the tirkey parts.
If there is a ham or something else, we use the super large Ziplock Baggies.

I have my own fork / spoon / and knife. My own cup and glass too.
I never ever put my stuff in the dishwasher.

Tina will use at least 7 glasses and a dish for everything she eats. Sometimes 8 small meals a day, even though it's just a smidgen of food
I hate plastic drinking cups too.
When I would get a coffee at say Dunkin Doughnuts, I always get it in the cardboard paper cup. I hate the Styrofoam cups.

9Paper Products Empty Re: Paper Products Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:52 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Crybaby wrote:
My mom stopped using her dishwasher once she lived on her own.  She'd just wash her own plate/glass in the sink.  When she tried to use it again, it wouldn't work.  The repairman told her she needed to run it at least once a week even if she ran it empty.  

I was SO upset when we bought our villa. The inspector checked the dishwasher and it worked. I used it twice and then the door seal leaked and water spewed all over my kitchen floor. The older lady who owned the villa had not used it in a long time and the dishwasher seal dried out. For heavens sake, if you have a dishwasher....USE IT ! It uses less water than washing and rinsing dishes in the sink.

10Paper Products Empty Re: Paper Products Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:17 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:
Crybaby wrote:

I was SO upset when we bought our villa.  The inspector checked the dishwasher and it worked.  I used it twice and then the door seal leaked and water spewed all over my kitchen floor.  The older lady who owned the villa had not used it in a long time and the dishwasher seal dried out.  For heavens sake, if you have a dishwasher....USE IT !  It uses less water than washing and rinsing dishes in the sink.

That is true, and good advise Beth.
It's the same with tires on a car. Rubber dry's out, and the natural rubber oils dry and the tires could crack. My neighbor bought 5 new tires for his Intrepid, but they were 12 years old. A Craig's list sale. every tire cracked to the point he had three flat tires overnight. Even though they were new, they were dry rotted.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum