Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

JANUARY 2017 Whats Cooking for Dinner / Supper?

+4
Bugster2
Crybaby
bethk
UNCLE JIMMY
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 10]

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

It was cheese burgers with yellow cheese for me. I had two on buttered white pullman toasted and buttered lightly.
The kids and Tina are having Mexican from a place called Moe's .... I don't like it. Too greasy for me!

bethk

bethk
Admin

I just got a call from my neighbor who went to WalMart with me this afternoon ~ we both love the long drive in a golf cart, enjoying the weather and the scenery.....

I gave her the quart of Cream of Broccoli soup I had made that Mr. Amazing wouldn't eat because it was more calories than he wanted. A quart of soup, especially a creamed soup, is too much for me to eat on my own ~ it would have been 4 lunches or meals. So, rather than toss it in the trash, I offered it to my non-cooking friend. She served it with a big fresh salad and they both enjoyed it. She has a full day of doctor's appointments tomorrow so she's planning on repeating the same meal again. I hope they enjoy it then, too!

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Yesterday, I was told, was national Spaghetti day.
So today, we are having Spaghetti and meatballs.

bethk

bethk
Admin

No cooking tonight....Lyn & I went out for a late lunch and then a shopping trip in Ocala (about 30 minute drive) so I could pick up a cute baby gift for my oldest friend's daughter's baby shower. I heard she was registered at Babies-R-Us but, oddly enough, there isn't one of those stores here in The Villages ~ LOL. But I went to Ocala and they have a Macy's and Dillard's store, both of which are still in Ohio near where the expectant mom lives. In case there's a problem with the gift she can always return it there.

NormM

NormM

JANUARY 2017 Whats Cooking for Dinner / Supper? - Page 2 Dscn3912

I made I made cabbage rolls tonight. It was in an online Japanese cookbook. I thought it strange that it was an Asian recipe, that it used tomatoes and no rice. I served it with rice anyway.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

Crybaby

Crybaby

bethk wrote:I just got a call from my neighbor who went to WalMart with me this afternoon ~ we both love the long drive in a golf cart, enjoying the weather and the scenery.....

I gave her the quart of Cream of Broccoli soup I had made that Mr. Amazing wouldn't eat because it was more calories than he wanted.  A quart of soup, especially a creamed soup, is too much for me to eat on my own ~ it would have been 4 lunches or meals.  So, rather than toss it in the trash, I offered it to my non-cooking friend.  She served it with a big fresh salad and they both enjoyed it.  She has a full day of doctor's appointments tomorrow so she's planning on repeating the same meal again.  I hope they enjoy it then, too!

Yet one more reason I wouldn't mind being your neighbor, Beth!

Crybaby

Crybaby

Beth wrote:No cooking tonight....Lyn & I went out for a late lunch and then a shopping trip in Ocala (about 30 minute drive) so I could pick up a cute baby gift for my oldest friend's daughter's baby shower.

So what'd you eat, Beth?!  

By the way, for anyone looking for a baby gift, I found the cutest stuff online a couple months ago -- had it shipped to me to bring to the sweet young woman who cuts Brian's hair and washes and blow dries mine sometimes, too.  I got soft, soft cotton blue denim overalls (size 3-6 mos.) for $12.50, a red cotton short-sleeve all-in-one to wear under the overalls for $5, and navy blue with red and white trim hi-top sneakers for $14!  With tax, it was an adorable, well-made all cotton outfit for $34.50 with free shipping.  I thought that was really reasonable for cute, in-style baby clothes.  If you want to check it out, go to www.childrensplace.com.  

Sorry to get so off-topic but even being a woman with no kids, there's nothing that brings out the "awww" in me more than baby clothes!  Usually people think everything you buy online costs so much more and that shipping kills you, but it's really not always the case.  I get free shipping more often than I pay for shipping.  (My free shipping record was when I ordered a king-size wrought iron sleigh bed with two wrought iron side tables; the weight was 245 lbs. and I got free shipping!  Brian was amazed at that one!).  cheers

bethk

bethk
Admin

Thanks for the site link! My niece lives in California and is due mid-February. It's been so long since I've had a reason to purchase baby clothes / supplies. I'm really out of the loop of what's 'in'.

In MY day new mothers were thrilled to get a large package of cloth diapers.....my daughters were born before the advent of 'disposable' diapers! LOL

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Supper.... huh! was little squares of pizza, and cauliflower with butter and black pepper!

Time for dessert! Ho Hum leftover Christmas Cookies, ? ? Uh! I don't think so!
I think, toast, buttered, and with grape Jam!

bethk

bethk
Admin

I'm thawing some pork tenderloin trimmings....bits and pieces I cut when I trim up a package of those 'double' pork tenderloins to cut into meal size portions. The thin ends and the excess at the 'fat end' get cut into bite size pieces to use for a stirfry or casserole.

So, tonight I'll use it for a nice sweet & sour pork. I had some of the sweet peppers left in the drawer and I'll add chunks of those to some carrots, celery & onion. I add extra vegetables to the s&s pork so it's really not a traditional recipe......but the s&s sauce and pineapple chunks makes me think of that taste so that's what I call my dish.

Now that I know what I'm going to fix for supper I'm getting hungry......and it's not even Noon yet!

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Tina is boiling a pot of cabbage; spinach, zucchini, and vegetables soup, with pinches of ground beef.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Cold weather = soup weather......the two go together!

We're having a 'cold spell' today, too. It's down to 50° after 80's yesterday.....my nose is runny and I seem to be getting a tickle in my throat ~ I'll be glad when it gets back to normal.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Boy, my mouth was all ready for this sweet & sour pork......been thinking about it all day!

JANUARY 2017 Whats Cooking for Dinner / Supper? - Page 2 IMG_20170107_171423412

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Boy, my mouth was all ready for this sweet & sour pork......been thinking about it all day!

JANUARY 2017 Whats Cooking for Dinner / Supper? - Page 2 IMG_20170107_171423412

It surely does look good Beth!

NormM

NormM

Many of the people in the neighborhood where I grew up were Yugoslavian or their parents were born there,  and most of the people at church were first or second generation German and so I remember seeing the recipe that used cabbage, noodles and Kielbasa but never cared to try it. I didn't think cabbage and noodles would be a good match but I saw this recipe again yesterday and had some cooked cabbage that needed to have something done with it so maybe 60 years late, I finally made the recipe and it turned out to be OK and easy.  Charlie loved it.  We had it for a late lunch but I didn't take a picture.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

I had squares of heated up pizza, and nut roll slices, and a doughnut.

Tina is up at the church where they had food for her and the others that worked as volunteers during the year.

bethk

bethk
Admin

NormM wrote:Many of the people in the neighborhood where I grew up were Yugoslavian or their parents were born there,  and most of the people at church were first or second generation German and so I remember seeing the recipe that used cabbage, noodles and Kielbasa but never cared to try it. I didn't think cabbage and noodles would be a good match but I saw this recipe again yesterday and had some cooked cabbage that needed to have something done with it so maybe 60 years late, I finally made the recipe and it turned out to be OK and easy.  Charlie loved it.  We had it for a late lunch but I didn't take a picture.

I call that Haluski.....but I adjust for our tastes with smoked beef sausage or bratwurst, cut into rounds and browned to remove much of the excess fat. Then I add sliced onions, carrot shreds (for color) and sliced cabbage. After the vegetables are softened I'll add some cooked egg noodles and the sausage back into the skillet and try to get some crisp on the edges of the noodles......

It's a one pot meal we have eaten on many a cold winter night!

NormM

NormM

We will be having it more now.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Don't have a clue for what to make / eat for supper.
We have a man here, putting up wainscot panels in the bathroom.
Also to repair the tile area that I broke out to replace the tub shower valve assembly.

It was funny. The guy comes into the kitchen to get his coffee, and practically flipped out when he saw the range and ovens with the flat top. OMG he said, I can't believe you have a restaurant commercial range! Come to find out, he was a chef, and a pastry chef for 6 years.
He quit the field, because it was nerve wracking. No time off, and working week ends just drove him to the limits! He said being a chef out there today, is a rat race.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Your handyman/chef would have probably sneered at my supper.....but we we both happy with it. LOL I had a Taco Salad and Mr. Amazing had two crisp taco shells & two soft flour tortillas filled with whatever he wanted.

I'm stuffed. I think there's enough for another meal if we want it later in the week.

JANUARY 2017 Whats Cooking for Dinner / Supper? - Page 2 IMG_20170109_170433004

bethk

bethk
Admin

I'm reheating the leftovers from Saturday.....so if you wonder what my Sweet & Sour Pork supper looks like ~ scroll back up and look at it there.....

LOL

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Tina made a big big pot of Chicken Soup.
Then steamed a 1/2 head of cabbage. Then...... braising 8 chicken legs in tons of onions.

All done eating... and Bellies are full!

NormM

NormM

I picked up some Go Chicken Go for dinner tonight.

bethk

bethk
Admin

I have a feeling we'll be going out for a late lunch with Dane's Thursday golf scramble group today so there will be no cooking for me tonight.  

Tomorrow is my usual Ladies' Friday Morning & Lunch so I'll be having a late lunch.....no cooking yet again.

So it will be Saturday before I have to decide on a meal to cook!

OH CRAP!!! I just realized it's only Wednesday. For some reason I thought it was Thursday...........NOW I need to come up with an idea for supper. Oh, woe is me.

Jimmy ~ every time I open this month's thread I see Liam's New Year's pic and it makes me smile!  I think you should open EVERY month with a pic of that Cutie Patootie so we can enjoy his smile.  How about it ~ what do you think?

Crybaby

Crybaby

bethk wrote:Thanks for the site link!  My niece lives in California and is due mid-February.  It's been so long since I've had a reason to purchase baby clothes / supplies.  I'm really out of the loop of what's 'in'.

In MY day new mothers were thrilled to get a large package of cloth diapers.....my daughters were born before the advent of 'disposable' diapers!  LOL

I hope you get the chance to check out the site, Beth, as it has the cutest stuff.

My Lord, remember cloth diapers?! I sure remember the diaper bags women had to deal with those. I used to babysit and it was during the time of cloth diapers...

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 10]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum