Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

JANUARY 2017 Whats Cooking for Dinner / Supper?

+4
Bugster2
Crybaby
bethk
UNCLE JIMMY
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Go down  Message [Page 10 of 10]

bethk

bethk
Admin

Mom use to make a raw cranberry relish that was good, but only about a tablespoon at a time. She used the old cast iron grinder on the edge of the table to grind up the cranberries, whole orange (including the rind) and walnuts....then stirred in a bunch of sugar and let it set in the refrigerator for a day or two before Thanksgiving.

Personally, I prefer the cooked kind because it's fun to watch those berries burst as they cook. I like to cut orange 'jewels' (supreme) and usually pecans and some of the orange zest that I candy in a bit of sugar water.

bethk

bethk
Admin

I'm trying to clear some room in the freezer so I can make chicken soup....my supply is depleted and I need to do an all day simmer on some whole chickens & veg/herbs.

So, tonight, I pulled a quart container of beef stew ~ just beef, carrots, celery, onion & mushrooms. I added peas and thickened when I reheated it. Served it over wide 'dumpling' noodles instead of potatoes to keep 'HIM' happy. I keep trying to tell him that white potatoes are NOT the evil he thinks....even found some recipes in his 'Bible', 'Cooking Light Magazine, that feature white potatoes. If he sees the recipe and reads the nutrition info he doesn't mind if I make it. That's how I got to re-introduce pasta to my menu rotation.

I added a tossed salad to complete my meal.

JANUARY 2017 Whats Cooking for Dinner / Supper? - Page 10 IMG_20170130_165550829

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Hot Dogs for supper. Wit onions / mustard / Hormel no beans chili Doctored up with hot pepper sauce.

Tina and GD are having Turkey carcass soup with wide noodles.

NormM

NormM

We have lots of left overs for dinner. Mine was a meatloaf sandwich.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:I'm trying to clear some room in the freezer so I can make chicken soup....my supply is depleted and I need to do an all day simmer on some whole chickens & veg/herbs.

So, tonight, I pulled a quart container of beef stew ~ just beef, carrots, celery, onion & mushrooms.  I added peas and thickened when I reheated it.  Served it over wide 'dumpling' noodles instead of potatoes to keep 'HIM' happy.  I keep trying to tell him that white potatoes are NOT the evil he thinks....even found some recipes in his 'Bible', 'Cooking Light Magazine, that feature white potatoes.  If he sees the recipe and reads the nutrition info he doesn't mind if I make it.  That's how I got to re-introduce pasta to my menu rotation.

I added a tossed salad to complete my meal.

JANUARY 2017 Whats Cooking for Dinner / Supper? - Page 10 IMG_20170130_165550829

That'll put meat on ones ribs. They sure could use some of that delicious meal up in Cleveland with all that nasty Lake Effect weather they are having. Tomorrow, we are supposed to get a little of what's left but only like 1 to 2 inches.

bethk

bethk
Admin

I pulled all the bags of 'chicken scraps' out of the freezer yesterday and put them in the refrigerator to thaw overnight. Today is 'CHICKEN STOCK' day! I wanted to simmer two whole chickens in the pot so I have plenty of meat to shred for my chicken soup but my pot isn't large enough for all the scraps, vegetables (that need to be used) and both chickens. As it is, I ended up quartering one of the chickens and put it into the pot. That will have to do. When the meat is tender (after about an hour of simmering in the pot) I'll remove and take off the meat. Then the bones will return to the stock pot to continue simmering for a few hours for the stock.

It's a real process but, IMO, very worth it to replenish my freezer supply that is gone.

The second whole chicken got spatchcocked and the ribs removed (back & ribs in the stock pot) and we will have grilled chicken tonight. I have it on a paper towel lined platter (to absorb the juices so they don't get all over) and I've salted the skin so it'll be nice and dry and crispy when it grills tonight. I love that I have the second refrigerator/freezer in the garage so I have room for a big platter of chicken to sit and 'air dry' without touching anything else. My kitchen refrigerator is too crowded with 'stuff' and it grosses me out if I want to put raw chicken in there for fear something will get moved up too close. Out in the garage it sits on an empty shelf, all by itself, and I don't have to worry.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Beth....you've got some system going on there. Good for you.

I awoke this morning, to find a flat package of ground beef thawing on the sink counter.
I asked, "Hey Tina, what's this for?" ... She said, "I don't know, I figured to make something!" I said, "Wow, that's a great clue!" L O L ...
I stuck it back in the fridge to thaw slowly while we haggle over what to make with it...
I didn't mention it yet, but I may make a meat loaf. ? ? ?

bethk

bethk
Admin

I never stopped all day.....full day of cooking and watching and CLEANING UP.....Aaaarrrrggghhhh!

Chicken grease all over the place ~ YUCK!

But the grilled chicken came out good. Made a sweet potato to split between the two of us and the veg was the stems & greens from a bunch of red beets ~ that had to be washed about 10 times to get all the grit off. They must have been pulled when it was raining. There was mud and grit on everything.

JANUARY 2017 Whats Cooking for Dinner / Supper? - Page 10 IMG_20170131_171405965

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:I never stopped all day.....full day of cooking and watching and CLEANING UP.....Aaaarrrrggghhhh!

Chicken grease all over the place ~ YUCK!

But the grilled chicken came out good.  Made a sweet potato to split between the two of us and the veg was the stems & greens from a bunch of red beets ~ that had to be washed about 10 times to get all the grit off.  They must have been pulled when it was raining.  There was mud and grit on everything.

JANUARY 2017 Whats Cooking for Dinner / Supper? - Page 10 IMG_20170131_171405965
Looks nice and crispy Beth!

Crybaby

Crybaby

Beth wrote:I love that I have the second refrigerator/freezer in the garage so I have room for a big platter of chicken to sit and 'air dry' without touching anything else. My kitchen refrigerator is too crowded with 'stuff' and it grosses me out if I want to put raw chicken in there for fear something will get moved up too close. Out in the garage it sits on an empty shelf, all by itself, and I don't have to worry.

Yeah, Beth, I would love a second fridge for things like that. You know what else helps to crisp up chicken skin? If you poke holes in the skin prior to cooking it (I use a pointed wooden dowel I'd use for making kabobs). Lets the grease run off and thru the skin, making the skin a lot crisper. But, boy, air drying it would be wonderful. I'm pea green with envy over that extra fridge, Beth!

Brian and I went to the grocery together yesterday (he usually hates it when I go, 'cause he says I take too long; you know, checking prices to see if the bigger size is cheaper, etc.; looking at all the lemons in the bag to make sure one or two aren't already spoiled; checking out the local grocery to see what they have (I found an olive bar with different imported black and green olives, some stuffed ones, too; got some with fresh mozzarella cubes and various goodies in it; they even had freshly roasted garlic cloves you could buy in bulk by the pound); checking out the pre-made stuff they offer (bought a half a Muffaletta for us to share for dinner with some gumbo -- perfect, as it was stuffed with an abundance of the right meats, cheeses and olive salad); checking out the salad bar in case I wanted him to pick up some ingredient I could use without a hassle (like a nice fresh lettuce mix for two and not a bag that would get partially wasted).

He uses that little mobile scooter in the store and I use a cart! I photocopied the grocery list prior to leaving home and each time he came back to produce, I would send him off with a block on the list marked so he could get that stuff, as I enjoyed myself in produce where all the stuff mentioned was set up. Once he came to show me he was all filled up so I told him to check out, put it in the car and come back (it was cool outside so no problem). Then I couldn't find him and kept searching for about 10 minutes. A good-looking young worker asked if he could help me find something -- I guess he kept seeing me wondering around -- to which I responded, "Yes, my husband." He howled. After a while I saw Brian riding back into the store; he said he'd checked out again and went to unload. I laughed and said he could've saved me 10 minutes by letting me know first.

My fridge, therefore, is absolutely packed! I cleaned out the two veggie drawers before putting more stuff in them, and Brian was kind enough to wash and dry them for me. I also put in some refrigerator liner in the drawers to keep things fresher longer (allows air to circulate) and also keeps things clean; I think I've had those two bags of liner for over a year. And, I think I told you, I use those "green bags" to keep veggies and fruit fresh longer; they work well for us. In fact, I had a big hunk of fresh parsley in one that had been in there for over a month; the bottom was slimy but the tops were green and dry and still good for use, once I chopped off the bottom. Really like those things...

We used to have a handful of people over for Superbowl (too many and you can't watch the game!) and we usually had arranged for a vacation day the following Monday. The game starts so darn late now that we both find it aggravating. I could deal with a 3 o'clock game or even at 4 p.m. but now I think it starts at 5:30 p.m. That's too freaking late!

Anyway, it'll just be Brian and I for Superbowl but I got all the stuff yesterday for my chili! Yahoo, as we both love it. I'm a no bean girl but I don't get into the "chili wars." And I don't grind my meat either; I hand chop all the meat (I use both chuck roast and Boston butt) into 1/2-inch cubes, and it really makes for a nice texture once it cooks down. My mouth is watering just talking about it. The lady who cleans for me, Lynn, was here today and she's never had chili. I told her I would put some aside for her but she cautioned me that though she can deal with "spicy," she can't deal with hot. She laughed when I told her it's spicy hot!

What are you guys doing for Superbowl? Anyone having a party? What are you cooking?

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

I had a can of sardines with a burger roll for supper.
Tina didn't eat yet. She watched the baby all last night and all day today. The mommy is sick; so we told her to get some rest.

Tina pushed him around in one of those 29.99 strollers, and he loves it.
Now, she was relieved, and she is beat!

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Crybaby wrote:
Beth wrote:I love that I have the second refrigerator/freezer in the garage so I have room for a big platter of chicken to sit and 'air dry' without touching anything else. My kitchen refrigerator is too crowded with 'stuff' and it grosses me out if I want to put raw chicken in there for fear something will get moved up too close. Out in the garage it sits on an empty shelf, all by itself, and I don't have to worry.

Yeah, Beth, I would love a second fridge for things like that.  You know what else helps to crisp up chicken skin?  If you poke holes in the skin prior to cooking it (I use a pointed wooden dowel I'd use for making kabobs).  Lets the grease run off and thru the skin, making the skin a lot crisper.  But, boy, air drying it would be wonderful.  I'm pea green with envy over that extra fridge, Beth!

Brian and I went to the grocery together yesterday (he usually hates it when I go, 'cause he says I take too long; you know, checking prices to see if the bigger size is cheaper, etc.; looking at all the lemons in the bag to make sure one or two aren't already spoiled; checking out the local grocery to see what they have (I found an olive bar with different imported black and green olives, some stuffed ones, too; got some with fresh mozzarella cubes and various goodies in it; they even had freshly roasted garlic cloves you could buy in bulk by the pound); checking out the pre-made stuff they offer (bought a half a Muffaletta for us to share for dinner with some gumbo -- perfect, as it was stuffed with an abundance of the right meats, cheeses and olive salad); checking out the salad bar in case I wanted him to pick up some ingredient I could use without a hassle (like a nice fresh lettuce mix for two and not a bag that would get partially wasted).  

He uses that little mobile scooter in the store and I use a cart!  I photocopied the grocery list prior to leaving home and each time he came back to produce, I would send him off with a block on the list marked so he could get that stuff, as I enjoyed myself in produce where all the stuff mentioned was set up.  Once he came to show me he was all filled up so I told him to check out, put it in the car and come back (it was cool outside so no problem).  Then I couldn't find him and kept searching for about 10 minutes.  A good-looking young worker asked if he could help me find something -- I guess he kept seeing me wondering around -- to which I responded, "Yes, my husband."  He howled.  After a while I saw Brian riding back into the store; he said he'd checked out again and went to unload.  I laughed and said he could've saved me 10 minutes by letting me know first.  

My fridge, therefore, is absolutely packed!  I cleaned out the two veggie drawers before putting more stuff in them, and Brian was kind enough to wash and dry them for me.  I also put in some refrigerator liner in the drawers to keep things fresher longer (allows air to circulate) and also keeps things clean; I think I've had those two bags of liner for over a year.  And, I think I told you, I use those "green bags" to keep veggies and fruit fresh longer; they work well for us.  In fact, I had a big hunk of fresh parsley in one that had been in there for over a month; the bottom was slimy but the tops were green and dry and still good for use, once I chopped off the bottom.  Really like those things...

We used to have a handful of people over for Superbowl (too many and you can't watch the game!) and we usually had arranged for a vacation day the following Monday.  The game starts so darn late now that we both find it aggravating.  I could deal with a 3 o'clock game or even at 4 p.m. but now I think it starts at 5:30 p.m.  That's too freaking late!  

Anyway, it'll just be Brian and I for Superbowl but I got all the stuff yesterday for my chili!  Yahoo, as we both love it.  I'm a no bean girl but I don't get into the "chili wars."  And I don't grind my meat either; I hand chop all the meat (I use both chuck roast and Boston butt) into 1/2-inch cubes, and it really makes for a nice texture once it cooks down.  My mouth is watering just talking about it.  The lady who cleans for me, Lynn, was here today and she's never had chili.  I told her I would put some aside for her but she cautioned me that though she can deal with "spicy," she can't deal with hot.  She laughed when I told her it's spicy hot!

What are you guys doing for Superbowl?  Anyone having a party?  What are you cooking?

IDK Michelle, but I brief read the paragraphs, and later, I will make myself a nice drink with my Makers 46, and sit down to enjoy the episode by reading it in entirety. .

bethk

bethk
Admin

I'm with you, Michelle.....I love spending extra time in nice grocery stores, just looking and making mental notes (which, by the way, I promptly forget.....) about items I see but might want at a later date.

Whenever Lyn & I go on a road trip it usually involves some sort of grocery store or deli. We're in the habit now of always having a small cooler and insulated bags in the car ~ "Just-In-Case".

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 10 of 10]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum